It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Remember the infamous soundbite Bonnie Bernstein made many years ago when she worked the sidelines of an "NFL on CBS" game between the Jaguars & Bears at Soldier Field? It was the one where PBP voice Dick Enberg threw it to Bonnie at the end of the first half and Bonnie chatted briefly with former Bears' head coach Dick Jauron. Bernstein came up with the infamous line "Two Dicks! Wow!" that became a synonymous soundbite on both of Chicago's sports talk radio stations.

I bring up this classic soundbite because those watching "NASCAR on FOX" next year will notice an addition to the prerace show when FOX Sports revs up the 2012 Sprint Cup season next February with the "Great American Race", the Daytona 500.

Race fans are already aware that Chris Myers hosts the prerace show from what FOX calls the "Hollywood Hotel" 1 hour before the green flag. Since FOX started broadcasting NASCAR in 2001, Myers has been joined by former 3-time NASCAR winning Crew Chief Jeff Hammond & 2-time NASCAR Champion Darrell Waltrip before D.W. joins PBP voice Mike Joy and co-analyst Larry McReynolds for the call of the race itself.

In a pair of moves announced today by FOX Sports President Eric Shanks, Darrell will have a little company in the Hollywood Hotel. Darrell's brother, Owner/Part-time Driver Michael Waltrip, will join Chris & D.W. in the mobile studio trackside and will provide in-race commentary during slow spots in the race broadcast. Michael himself has cut back on racing considerably the last couple of years to concentrate on owning 2 Sprint Cup teams, David Reutimann's #00 Aaron's and Martin Truex, Jr.'s #56 NAPA Auto Parts TOYOTAs. He will continue to own these teams in addition to his new duties on the prerace show and analyzing the Camping World Truck Series on FOX-owned Speed. Like his brother Darrell, Michael is a two-time Sprint Cup Champion in 2001 & 2003.

As for Hammond, he's moving out of the Hollywood Hotel, and will take on what some consider an innovative new role for the network. Jeff will work the garage and mine the grease pits for the latest NASCAR news and cover developing storylines during the race broadcast. It's considered a first for one of NASCAR's broadcast partners.

Last edited by SHARK on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I don't see how, "Two Dick's Wow" applies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:57 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

"Two Waltrips! Wow!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Nor do I get what makes it "a synonymous soundbite".
Oh well, best to head to the beach when there's a SHARK lurking just under the surface.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:00 pm 

It's a soundbite both The SCORE & ESPN Radio have played synonymously over the years. The one with Bonnie Bernstein, I mean...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
SHARK wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

"Two Waltrips! Wow!"

Ehhh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I can't stand Hillbilly Hammond in his current role so maybe this will be better and more tolerable. What about digger?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I'm a big fan of DW, MW, & Hammond. Chris Meyers sucks.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
SHARK wrote:
Remember the infamous soundbite Bonnie Bernstein made many years ago when she worked the sidelines of an "NFL on CBS" game between the Jaguars & Bears at Soldier Field? It was the one where PBP voice Dick Enberg threw it to Bonnie at the end of the first half and Bonnie chatted briefly with former Bears' head coach Dick Jauron. Bernstein came up with the infamous line "Two Dicks! Wow!" that became a synonymous soundbite on both of Chicago's sports talk radio stations.

I bring up this classic soundbite because those watching "NASCAR on FOX" next year will notice an addition to the prerace show when FOX Sports revs up the 2012 Sprint Cup season next February with the "Great American Race", the Daytona 500.

Race fans are already aware that Chris Myers hosts the prerace show from what FOX calls the "Hollywood Hotel" 1 hour before the green flag. Since FOX started broadcasting NASCAR in 2001, Myers has been joined by former 3-time NASCAR winning Crew Chief Jeff Hammond & 2-time NASCAR Champion Darrell Waltrip before D.W. joins PBP voice Mike Joy and co-analyst Larry McReynolds for the call of the race itself.

In a pair of moves announced today by FOX Sports President Eric Shanks, Darrell will have a little company in the Hollywood Hotel. Darrell's brother, Owner/Part-time Driver Michael Waltrip, will join Chris & D.W. in the mobile studio trackside and will provide in-race commentary during slow spots in the race broadcast. Michael himself has cut back on racing considerably the last couple of years to concentrate on owning 2 Sprint Cup teams, David Reutimann's #00 Aaron's and Martin Truex, Jr.'s #56 NAPA Auto Parts TOYOTAs. He will continue to own these teams in addition to his new duties on the prerace show and analyzing the Camping World Truck Series on FOX-owned Speed. Like his brother Darrell, Michael is a two-time Sprint Cup Champion in 2001 & 2003.

As for Hammond, he's moving out of the Hollywood Hotel, and will take on what some consider an innovative new role for the network. Jeff will work the garage and mine the grease pits for the latest NASCAR news and cover developing storylines during the race broadcast. It's considered a first for one of NASCAR's broadcast partners.

How about Daytona 500 Champion? SHARK have you been sniffing glue with Larz again??

The move is good and I'm a fan of listening to Mikey call the truck races. And I hate Chris Myers and this will mean he talks less.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:11 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I can't stand Hillbilly Hammond in his current role so maybe this will be better and more tolerable. What about digger?

Digger is supposed to be the "NASCAR on FOX" animated mascot, UMN. It's not stopping FOXSports.com, NASCARstore.com and DWstore.com from selling T-shirts, plush toys and other things with that gopher's face on there...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I always assumed that the Digger promotion was part of Waltrip's contract.