It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Showtime is playing this documentary, which focuses on the making of my favorite U2 album, Achtung Baby.

I watched it on Saturday, and it's fantastic. It has archival footage as well as stuff from current times, talking about how the album came together.

Definitely worth the 90 minutes if you like the band or the album.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Been looking for a reason to watch Showtime...now I have one...just need to find the next time it's on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I had it on my DVR for a couple weeks then I saw yesterday that it's available On Demand.
I have AT&T U-verse.
Looking forward to watching it, but the dvd comes with the Super Deluxe Achtung Baby
that I'm expecting for Christmas, so I'm not really in a big hurry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:44 pm 

Never did catch it on Showtime but I bought the Bluray...was reminded why I love this album so much...really cool to see how an extra bridge in 'Mysterious Ways' became 'One'...also love the solo performance of Love is Blindness by The Edge in the extras...I think that song is considered by many as a weak link on the album but I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
lipidquadcab wrote:
Never did catch it on Showtime but I bought the Bluray...was reminded why I love this album so much...really cool to see how an extra bridge in 'Mysterious Ways' became 'One'...also love the solo performance of Love is Blindness by The Edge in the extras...I think that song is considered by many as a weak link on the album but I love it.

Weak link? That song is the fucking shit.

Love it on the Zoo TV tour to close out the show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

Weak link? That song is the fucking shit.

Love it on the Zoo TV tour to close out the show.

Hey, I'm not saying it is...like I said, I love that song...but I've heard more than a few people say that Achtung Baby should have started with "Even Better..." and ended with "Acrobat".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:51 am 

Love is Blindness doesnt really fit with the rest of the album and the production is almost creepy.

Zoo Station is not the best song ever but it's a perfect intro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:53 am 

lipidquadcab wrote:
...really cool to see how an extra bridge in 'Mysterious Ways' became 'One'...

Not sure I buy that. I think musicians revise history a lot when it comes to where songs came from.

He was singing the chorus to One at the end of With or Without You on the Joshua Tree tour. So it was a thing before they recorded AB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
rogers park bryan wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
...really cool to see how an extra bridge in 'Mysterious Ways' became 'One'...

Not sure I buy that. I think musicians revise history a lot when it comes to where songs came from.

He was singing the chorus to One at the end of With or Without You on the Joshua Tree tour. So it was a thing before they recorded AB

To the faithful, that snippet is technically known as "Shine Like Stars".
Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night......
We'll shine like stars in the winter night.....
One heart, one hope, one love
With or without you ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
lipidquadcab wrote:
Hey, I'm not saying it is...like I said, I love that song...but I've heard more than a few people say that Achtung Baby should have started with "Even Better..." and ended with "Acrobat".

Acrobat is top notch, a good song w/ good lyrics and fits the album but I stand by Love is Blindness closing it out and if you disagree with me then I want to meet you in the parking lot of Tower Records in Hollywood and fight you.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Love is Blindness doesnt really fit with the rest of the album and the production is almost creepy.

Zoo Station is not the best song ever but it's a perfect intro

I think it fits just fine, one of my favorite U2 songs, period. Dark, foreboding it kinda stalks you throughout the song itself, great tone as well....and guitar on it is fucking great. I just think it's a great end cap to the album.

I actually love "Lady with the Spinning Head" although it's a tad unfinished...a bunch of songs came out of that.

And not to take this whole "thing" off the tracks, but, if you want songs that shouldn't be on there you need to look no further Tryin'to Throw Your Arms Around the World". But I'm sure that's up for debate as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Acrobat is top notch, a good song w/ good lyrics and fits the album but I stand by Love is Blindness closing it out and if you disagree with me then I want to meet you in the parking lot of Tower Records in Hollywood and fight you.

:lol: :?

lipidquadcab wrote:
I think that song is considered by many as a weak link on the album but I love it.

lipidquadcab wrote:
Hey, I'm not saying it is...like I said, I love that song

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:21 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
And not to take this whole "thing" off the tracks, but, if you want songs that shouldn't be on there you need to look no further Tryin'to Throw Your Arms Around the World". But I'm sure that's up for debate as well.

Nine times out of ten, when I start the album at the beginning, I let the whole thing play through...but if I'm skipping songs, yeah, it's that and So Cruel, although that's grown on me more over the years.