It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 11.21.11 Injury Reaction
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 am 

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Mac not go all meatball this morning.

Had a hand injury expert dude on that gave some good information about Cutlers injury vs. Farve's and Big Ben's. Said Farve had a hairline fracture that was more legend than anything. Big Ben's fracture was up near the nail on the thumb which makes it completely different. Cutler's is down near where the thumb meets with the hand. No way he can play through it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I posted it in another thread but this is the injury the medical expert believes Jay has.

It renders your thumb virtually useless and due to low blood flow it has to be pinned in order to heal properly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:10 am 

They should rename that a Knox fracture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:25 am 

Tecmo Bowl injury music :lol: Nice

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is if the offense fumbles the ball, it cannot then be advanced into the end zone for a score. I seem to remember a great Oakland game when they effectively kicked the ball into the end zone for a score in the final seconds as being the impetus behind the rule.

If true, Lovie did right by not challenging the call. Nothing to gain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:30 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is if the offense fumbles the ball, it cannot then be advanced into the end zone for a score. I seem to remember a great Oakland game when they effectively kicked the ball into the end zone for a score in the final seconds as being the impetus behind the rule.

But the fumble was recovered before the ball was in the end zone, so I think that's ok. They should have challenged it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:36 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

But the fumble was recovered before the ball was in the end zone, so I think that's ok. They should have challenged it.

I believe that is the rule. If ball is fumbled, it cannot be advanced.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:39 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

I believe that is the rule. If ball is fumbled, it cannot be advanced.

Well that's just dumb. Football has way too many dumb rules. I need to make a thread for them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:46 pm 

This is all I found. I believe your initial comment is correct unless the fumble happened just before the half. I don't remember.

Digest of Rules Main
Fumble

The distinction between a fumble and a muff should be kept in mind in considering rules about fumbles. A fumble is the loss of player possession of the ball. A muff is the touching of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to obtain possession.
A fumble may be advanced by any player on either team regardless of whether recovered before or after ball hits the ground.
A fumble that goes forward and out of bounds will return to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble unless the ball goes out of bounds in the opponent’s end zone. In this case, it is a touchback.
On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.
A muffed hand-to-hand snap from center is treated as a fumble.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/fumble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:07 pm 

I believe this was the play, so it was not in the final two minutes of the first half. As best I can tell, unless Barber was somehow down by contact, the play could have been challenged.

2nd quarter (5:17) 24-M.Barber left tackle to SD 1 for 4 yards (71-A.Garay).

Also, here is the explanation of the play that I initially referenced. Chargers were involved in that one too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Rolle ... ootball%29

I watched the game live. Stabler fumbled the ball, then it was basically sort of collected by Banasek who sort of fumble pitched it forward to Casper who pushed the ball into the end zone and fell on it. Pretty hilarious, and brilliant at the same time. There were 10 seconds left in the game. Raiders Win.

Pretty sure that is why we now have the screwy end of half rules, and who can advance the ball in certain situations rules.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:43 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Also, here is the explanation of the play that I initially referenced. Chargers were involved in that one too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Rolle ... ootball%29

Love the play-by-play call:

"The Oakland Raiders have scored on the most zany, unbelievable, absolutely impossible dream of a play! Madden is on the field. He wants to know if it's real. They said yes, get your big butt out of here! He does! There's nothing real in the world anymore! The Raiders have won the football game!"|

:lol: