It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Let's not get all crazy here....we all know who #1 is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Bud Dude wrote:
Let's not get all crazy here....we all know who #1 is.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Phil McCracken wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
I met him twice,got invited to a private concert. Talked with him for about 3 minutes,that's it. He seemed like a nice guy.

Needs to be longer and involve more guys from the neighborhood and a ton more name dropping.

Yeah. I've got a better Slash story myself, for God's sake!

During the Midwestern portion of one of their tours G'n'R was based in Chicago. They practiced upstairs from Metro and hung around a lot.

So one night I was at Metro for a Concrete Blonde show and Johnette was all fucked up drinking vodka straight out the bottle (she din't look like no motherfuckin' role model). All of a sudden in walk Slash, Axl, and Dizzy Reed. We're all standing in back, me and my two buddies and the G'n'R boys. Late in the set Johnette is trashed and she starts rolling around on the stage. Axl yelled at the top of his lungs, "GET UP, YOU DRUNK FUCKIN' BITCH!!!!" We all started laughing our asses off. I ended up buying a couple rounds of shots for the rock stars.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Any top 5 is incomplete without him and the aforementioned Les Paul.

I agree with Hendrix and Page being in the top 5.

Based solely on their influence of others and longevity, Richards and Beck deserve their place as well.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yeah. I've got a better Slash story myself, for God's sake!

During the Midwestern portion of one of their tours G'n'R was based in Chicago. They practiced upstairs from Metro and hung around a lot.

So one night I was at Metro for a Concrete Blonde show and Johnette was all fucked up drinking vodka straight out the bottle (she din't look like no motherfuckin' role model). All of a sudden in walk Slash, Axl, and Dizzy Reed. We're all standing in back, me and my two buddies and the G'n'R boys. Late in the set Johnette is trashed and she starts rolling around on the stage. Axl yelled at the top of his lungs, "GET UP, YOU DRUNK FUCKIN' BITCH!!!!" We all started laughing our asses off. I ended up buying a couple rounds of shots for the rock stars.

See thats how its done.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Keeping Score wrote:
Quote:
Rolling Stone names Hendrix best guitarist ever

Reuters – 1 hr 26 mins ago.

(Reuters) - Legendary musician Jimi Hendrix was named the greatest guitar player in history on Wednesday by Rolling Stone magazine in a list compiled by a panel of music experts and top guitar players.

"Jimi Hendrix exploded our idea of what rock music could be: He manipulated the guitar, the whammy bar, the studio and the stage," said Grammy-winning guitarist Tom Morello in the magazine, citing Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" as key tracks.

Hendrix is joined by the likes of Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend among the top 10, in a list laden with rock 'n' roll icons spanning decades.

The panel of experts recruited to vote for their favorite guitar players included musicians such as Lenny Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen (who was voted No. 8), Brian May and Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys, along with a selection of Rolling Stone's senior writers and editors.

The experts also weighed in on their favorites, with Pearl Jam's Mike McCready calling Eddie Van Halen "a master of riffs" and Joe Perry praising Jimmy Page's "vision of how to transcend the stereotypes of what the guitar can do."

The full list will be featured in a special issue with four special covers of Van Halen, Clapton, Hendrix and Page, and will be on newsstands and online at http://www.rollingstone.com on Friday. Rolling Stone's top 10 greatest guitarists follow:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Jimmy Page

4. Keith Richards

5. Jeff Beck

6. B.B. King

7. Chuck Berry

8. Eddie Van Halen

9. Duane Allman

10. Pete Townshend

Can you really leave Tony Iommi, Steve Vai, George Lynch and Randy Rhoads off this list?

5 of these guys don't belong on this list, & there is no way in hell that Clapton is the 2nd best. He's not top 10 either.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
I met him twice,got invited to a private concert. Talked with him for about 3 minutes,that's it. He seemed like a nice guy.

Needs to be longer and involve more guys from the neighborhood and a ton more name dropping.

Yeah. I've got a better Slash story myself, for God's sake! During the Midwestern portion of one of their tours G'n'R was based in Chicago. They practiced upstairs from Metro and hung around a lot.

Oh yeah,I left out the part where we shot heroin together and partied with the Laker girls! :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
If the list was the "most infuential guitarists of all time, then I agree with this list. But a best guitarists list should never ever include B B King, Chuck Berry, or Keith Richards.
BB king is a terrible guitarist.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Scorehead wrote:
If the list was the "most infuential guitarists of all time, then I agree with this list. But a best guitarists list should never ever include B B King, Chuck Berry, or Keith Richards.
BB king is a terrible guitarist.

What are the criteria for being "the best" or "good"?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:13 pm 

I've always thought that good guitarists are a dime a dozen and that the greatest guitar player is probably someone nobody's ever heard of or maybe didn't even in a band. Being a great guitar player doesn't mean you have a lot of hit songs, or influenced anyone or are even popular. It's a practiced skill... with some natural ability somewhere in there. Being widely recognized as great is completely different.
And since music is so subjective and "greatness" can't really be measured, you're just left with a mob mentality, popularity mish mash of crap when everyone tries to quantify it. I'm pretty sure whoever made this list doesn't truly believe these are the 10 best guitarists in history. It's just a column to mail in... top 10 (or whatever) lists always are.

BB King is a good example of a guy that's a great performer but i've never been impressed with the guitar. I'm guessing you'd need to either see him live or in the studio to see him let loose, but if his limits were what you heard in his recorded songs, then there's 1000s and 1000s of people with more general guitar skill than that, including myself. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, though, since his style didn't really require him to go off on a Hendrix type solo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Good list, but lame that this is about the 2nd or 3rd time rolling stone has done this...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

At it's core music is math. Of course we don't often think of it that way and it's pretty sad to reduce it to that. But when you attempt to set some competitive standard for playing an instrument that's exactly what you're doing. I would suggest that the best guitarists are those capable of evoking certain emotions in others rather than those capable of playing the most notes the fastest. And that's why Keith Richards is and always will be better than Steve Vai.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
At least Rolling Stone got the top 3 right.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Phil McCracken wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

And totally fictional! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
No Brian May or Tom Morello?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Bernie and Randy's place...
Ahem...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Don Felder wrote:
Ahem...

Can we help you?