It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
thats right, i nearly shit my britches this morning as i saw that random facebook upper-right-corner friend page perpetual feed thingy show pharoahe monch saying DOUBLE DOOR TONIGHT!

indeed, he's playing there... there's still tickets left @ ticketfly.com... idk if the shit will sellout, but i'd imagine that pharoahe is a big enough name that if they promoted this decently (and i only found out about it by accident) that it could sell out the doubledoor by the time of walkup @ 9pm or whatever.... so you might wanna do that online shit and print out a PDFticket or do willcall.

seriously, pharoahe monch is one of the best rappers of all time period. the motherfucker is lyrically incredible and i've never had a chance to see him perform live (he seriously will go and tour australia like ~3-5 times before he comes back to chicago... and i missed the duckdown tour with him and slaughterhouse @ the abbey pub early 2010, the last time he was here AFAIK) so i'm stoked, i'm going to check another rap god off of my must-see-live list and yeah. woo. anyone else like rap enough to go?! =D

i suppose if you see a big chunky goofy lookin white dude in a shirt representing some rappers who are some of the few arguably better than pharoahe monch (when u go to a show u always gotta wear a shirt of some1 better than who you're seeing. that's how we roll, pillsbury) you can say whatup and tell all of your board BFFs that you met the crazed lunatic that is me. sayword!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
welp, i'll let the 0 replies to this thread stand as a testament to the fact that the self-avowed "rap fans" of the board genuinely SLEPT on a really fucking proper rap show, which i can't say totally surprises me... c'est la vie.

it was a fucking proper show.... to give you an idea, i saw a b-boy circle during the night which is a rare thing these days! the doubledoor filled up to like ~5-10 feet in front of the merch table with solid people leading up to pharoahe's set... mass mysteria did their chris paul thing getting the place amped up another 2-3 notches and then tossed the lob to blake griffin, aka pharoahe monch, who did what he does and the shit got done!

it's almost kind of anticlimactic to see pharoahe live because when he does all of his songs live there's almost no difference from what you're hearing on the properly-recorded versions of the songs... which is pretty amazing considering the dude has asthma and everything. when he got on the stage the quality of the lyricism jumped up 10fold i mean what can i say about the works of pharoahe monch? anything i can say would be an understatement.... my personal favorite song from the night's set was when he dedicated one to the "intelligent heads... the intellectual heads" and proceeded to rip what it is --- love that motherfucking song.

i've got a few videos of single-songs from way up front in the crowd, but at least during simon-says (the set closer) the bass is so fuckin loud it blew the shit out of my little crap LG dumbphone... so i'll test them out on the computer and see how they work, but gauging by the response to the thread i'm sure i don't have to worry about hurrying to do this =D

also i gotta give thanks to my guy sharkula, the local chicago rap legend in the flesh. when i ran into him outside (like he's gotta pay to get in...pfft!) the dude still is all OMFG THIS IS MY DUDE HE'S A GENIUS I'M TELLIN YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!!! cuz he's just about the only person who saw/remembers/acknowledges that some goofy pudgy white dude in a camoflague expos jersey went up and served that burrito kid static @ his own show back in 2009...he knows when i run into him and i'm doin well that we goin straight to the scotch, twistin some up, kickin some flows and fuckin with people on the street, then later on wash it all down with a bunch of chicken/wings.... that's just how we roll. so when he sees me up here @ the pharoahe show he's like OMFG IT'S MY DUDE WHERE THE FUCK YOU BEEN?!!??! and he's gotta introduce me to like ~30-40 people over the course of the next hour or two... then later on when he got his nugget situation proper he came and found me to take a nice lil nature walk with a couple'a blunts rolled up... that's love! thats why i always got my man faded on a scotch whenever i run into him, you know? this is the epitome of good lookin out.

all in all it was a 100% bonafide "real" rap show....i could tell cuz unlike some of my glorious backpacker shows where its like ~90%+ white people, this was completely flip flopped and ~85%+ black people. thank god.... us wiggers don't feel quite right around too many white people, we wanna be in our completely natural un-natural environment, know what i'm sayin!?!? =D

seriously tho. i know the irony of my thinking this and while i do love my nerdier rap shows and all that, still, i'm glad it seems like motherfuckers are willing to come out and support when pharoahe monch is in town.... cuz if they didn't, well shit... i mean, who the fuck else would it take to get you to come out and see a rap show? as i was tellin some white couple in town from san diego whose rap-nerd friend DRAGGED them to this show even tho they had no idea just who or what a "pharoahe monch" is ---- he's one of the ~5 best people to ever grab a microphone and rap into it. i mean, when it's all said and done you gotta have him up there in your god tier with your vintage rakims, aceyalones, krs-ones, etc.... i mean, by now he's been at it for what... ~20 years? rap-god tier for sure.

anyways, thus ends my sociological experiment to see if people on this board would ever be interested in the same rap music/shows/etc that i would am.... i'm guessing that if PHAROAHE FUCKING MONCH isn't even the bridge between "my tastes" and "y'all tastes" then i honestly can't think of what else could possibly do it... so i'll keep to myself in the future, merci beaucoup. cuz like, for me, when i woke up on saturday morning and saw that PHAROAHE MONCH was in town playing a show saturday night, it's like a five alarm fire, sirens are going off and shit and i'm in emergency mode til i got that ticket locked up and i'm gettin at my peoples and it's like DROP WHAT YOU'RE DOING PHAROAHE'S IN TOWN!!@#$#@$#!@ but like, i guess that's why i'm forever just a stupid wigger and a hopeless rap nerd, eh? #GETALIFESON!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 am 

Too late, just saw this. And I was out at a very akward birthday party saturday night.

Glad you had fun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:56 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
some goofy pudgy white dude in a camoflague expos jersey went up and served that burrito kid static @ his own show back in 2009...!!!!

story?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
i really can't stand his style/delivery, even if his lyrics may be solid

his production also seems pretty bad in general, although Simon Says is certainly a classic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
My favorite Pharoahe Monch track:

Act 3 (Evil Eyes)

From Desire. 2007.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"