It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Van Halen 2/24/12
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Two hours. Mostly a great show. Eddie is still the best. His solo near the end of the show was the highlight of the concert in my opinion. Alex was excellent on drums but his jazzy drum solo seemed a bit out of place. But it was very original. Wolfgang fit in well and even sang the Michael Anthony back up parts pretty well.

David Lee Roth was the issue I had. I'm glad I finally saw them but I wish I would have a couple of years ago. David seemed bothered by petty bullshit from the start. He bitched (openly in front of 20,000+ fans) about a blower above the stage. He complained about his mic. He actually asked for duct tape from roadies in the middle of a song and missed several lines.

The problem though was his singing. David was spot on on songs like "Ice Cream Man" and I'll Wait" but most others he felt the need to sing in the wrong key, skip lines of the songs and sing at his own pace which frustrated a lot a fans. You try to sing along with him but he sings it uncomfortably at a different pace. He's a fucking Diva and I cant see this "reunion" lasting unless Eddie is through with fighting. David is the money maker though and Eddie may be settling in with this line up from here on.

Personally, seeing VH for the first time with my family was the best. Especially with my 18 year old son who was very excited to see them.

Post subject: Re: Van Halen 2/24/12
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:49 pm 

This explains why the Cobra Lounge was full of morons and old farts last night. I guess it also explains the hour straight of butt rock that I had to sit through that was playing on the jukebox.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
This can only end badly. DLR will fall back into his comfortable douchebag role. I just hope all involved save their money.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Eddie. Must see from 2/24. He even adds "Cathedral" to "eruption"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc6kp0DaBIo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
how crowded was the show? id be interested to hear what the makeup of the crowd was and what the energy level was. were there any younger people there? i imagine it was mostly a 40+ crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
I'd say the UC was close to capacity, save for the seats behind the soundboard, which I was told weren't sold on purpose as they would've been obstructed.

As for DLR's 'tude, yeah, he threw a hissy fit about some air being blown on him and his mic, and to me, pouted like a little baby about both of those things. He threw a mic in someone's direction offstage and asked a roadie for some tape during a song.

His banter between or even during songs was minimal. Usually, before Ice Cream Man, he tells a story. On Friday, it was like 30 seconds, and then right into the song. Not sure if his problems with the air blowing on him or the mic issues contributed to his attitude, but he wasn't the peppy DLR I've seen in past shows.

But, that meant it was a quick 24 song night, and the band itself was ridiculously tight. Eddie sounded amazing. Al was incredible, even with his jazz solo, and Wolf was really good, too. The only time I missed Michael Anthony was during the backround vocals of Girl Gone Bad. Ouch, that was painful, though the music was great.

My personal faves from Friday night were, in order: Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Unchained (always great), and believe it or not Women in Love, which is a song I don't particularly care for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
man of few opinions wrote:
how crowded was the show? id be interested to hear what the makeup of the crowd was and what the energy level was. were there any younger people there? i imagine it was mostly a 40+ crowd.

I actually enjoyed Kool and the Gang and the crowd, IMO, was into them as well....a solid warm-up act.

The actual VH show was.....well, not so hot, again, in my opinion. It started out well but Roth and his antics and lack of energy kinda killed it for me. He was just blah, I was drunk as well so I was easy to impress and he didn't do it. Eddie was killer on the guitar and everything in that respect was solid but Roth and his vocals were a let down.

I really enjoyed 'I'll Wait", though, I guess it fits his vocal limitations just fine in the year 2012. I saw them back on 2003 or so with Hagar and that was, I can't believe I'm saying this, a better show.....I'm so fucking sorry for saying that, so, so sorry. Eddie was a drunk, methed up train wreck, Hagar could still sing pretty well and overall it was better....again, I'm sorry. Fuck, I even thought DLR was better back during the Sammy/DLR tour when they stopped at the World Music Theater. VH misses Michael Anthony and his backing vocals dearly.

Great guitar solo, though.

LOVED ROMEO DELIGHT.

As for the makeup of the crowd...for me in 305 it was solidly older, middle aged people. Solid energy for most of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Tickets still available for April 1st. Im thinkin about goin. I guess I'm hoping David will be more polished by then. Wishful thinking on my part probably.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Mr. Belvidere wrote:
Two hours. Mostly a great show. Eddie is still the best. His solo near the end of the show was the highlight of the concert in my opinion. Alex was excellent on drums but his jazzy drum solo seemed a bit out of place. But it was very original. Wolfgang fit in well and even sang the Michael Anthony back up parts pretty well.

David Lee Roth was the issue I had. I'm glad I finally saw them but I wish I would have a couple of years ago. David seemed bothered by petty bullshit from the start. He bitched (openly in front of 20,000+ fans) about a blower above the stage. He complained about his mic. He actually asked for duct tape from roadies in the middle of a song and missed several lines.

The problem though was his singing. David was spot on on songs like "Ice Cream Man" and I'll Wait" but most others he felt the need to sing in the wrong key, skip lines of the songs and sing at his own pace which frustrated a lot a fans. You try to sing along with him but he sings it uncomfortably at a different pace. He's a fucking Diva and I cant see this "reunion" lasting unless Eddie is through with fighting. David is the money maker though and Eddie may be settling in with this line up from here on.

Personally, seeing VH for the first time with my family was the best. Especially with my 18 year old son who was very excited to see them.

Funny, I had the exact same feeling when I saw them.

In Augusta, GA.

In 1984.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Bud Dude wrote:
I'm interested.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Mr. Belvidere wrote:

Funny, I had the exact same feeling when I saw them.

In Augusta, GA.

In 1984.

Let ole' SomeGuy sit on your knee for a sec....

Was Roth's leap off the drum kit during Unchained as awesome as it looks live as it does on YouTube? I mean, that looks like he's jumping off the roof of a 2 story house!

Bib-a-lee BOP, ZIDDY BOP!