It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
hey guys, i love all y'all pantsless cretins, even the ones who befriend me on facebook like we're playing a game so i have to figure out who you are (PROTIP: i don't care, no offense =) so like, i'll offer some definitely-weird-in-comparison OC that might not quite be misha barton before... life happened, but it's at least a spirited 5 minutes with rachel bilson before you're like "sorry, it's your fault baby you turn me on so much"

I'LL TAKE SOMETHING THAT ONLY DOUG-EP AND ~3 OTHER EX/MUSICIANS ON THIS BOARD WILL CARE ABOUT FOR $500, ALEX!!!!

i realized something last night / this morning... by a rather noticeable margin the greatest devo song that, amazingly, devo didn't make, is also the greatest pop music song ever made.

weird al yankovic - dare to be stupid

now you're probably thinking "a weird al song, sini, dude you're a fucking drugged out pantsless cretin." hey, up until a couple'a weeks ago you were right. but i'm thinking clear and fast and like... dude, weird al came out and aped devo so hard that my lilbro (the weird al guy in our family) told me that the lead guy in devo seriously motherfucked him for making their best song. and he did.

see, on the surface the song seems like a lark... like he's RIPPING ON DEVO or something... but in reality he fucking loves them and this song is his love letter to devo much like pretty hate machine is trent reznor's love letter to depeche mode. in this song, al is offering you some WISDOM that is no stranger to the core tenets of the dadaism movement. he's speaking to the spark of audacity that exists within anyone who aspires to create "art" that demands a right to exist alongside the established status quo. in the song, and i'll spare you a 64 page version where i break it down line for line, al tears through all kinds of idioms and cliches that are commonly found in the greater USA day-to-day conversational/vernacular lexicon and throws them on their ass.

he does this on, like i said, the best devo song that devo never made. it's fucking punk rock in a sense... like in the middle of the song after he delivers the chorus he just up and hitches the cut and pulls out a vintage ramones "LET'S GO!" before hitting you with the SEX that is that main synth-hook.

he straightup tells any kid with balls who's listening "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?!?!?! WE'RE ALL WAITING FOR YOU" --- as someone who personally has the greatest rapper to ever pick up a microphone waiting on him to do some suitably brilliant rap shit where like i don't have to ask panther if i'm actually good, i can relate to that. at the end of the song he straight up says "THE FUTURE IS UP TO YOU... WHAT YOU GONNA DO?!?!?!" i mean it's a fucking invitation, literally.

"COMEON JOIN THE CROWD!! (dare to be stupid) SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!!! (dare to be stupid)
IT'S SO EASY TO DO!!!! (dare to be stupid)"

it's fucking powerful. and once he made it, you knew he was gonna be some millionaire for life doing dumb shit... his cred was established. all he had to do in order to garner anyone with even 1/2 of a working's brain respect was play them this song and be like "oh yeah? well i'm the guy who made that (fuck you)."

in short, weird al just like.... fuckin a. he did it man. he sold that car with rustproofing.

so yeah.... anyone got any counter-examples to throw up here? i'm always down to tell people why they're wrong ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Put down that chainsaw and listen to me.....

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:12 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:

it's time for us to join in the fight!

yeah see i didnt want to go total caricature mode and do a full-on academic study of the song, but seriously, within a line or two of song it's firmly established that the song is cool/badass as hell.

my favorite part tho, like i said, its that ramones hitch in the middle with the LET'S GO!!! every time i hear it, without fail, i'll stop walking/whatever and mime the words with a fistpump. like i said, al sold me the car with rustproofing. i feel sorry for those who can't pick up on and consequently enjoy the consummate genius here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:14 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:

it's time for us to join in the fight!

yeah see i didnt want to go total caricature mode and do a full-on academic study of the song, but seriously, within a line or two of song it's firmly established that the song is cool/badass as hell.

my favorite part tho, like i said, its that ramones hitch in the middle with the LET'S GO!!! every time i hear it, without fail, i'll stop walking/whatever and mime the words with a fistpump. like i said, al sold me the car with rustproofing. i feel sorry for those who can't pick up on and consequently enjoy the consummate genius here.

I actually am totally with you on this one. I don't know if you ever saw the Weird Al behind the Music but they had the dude from Devo Mark Mothersbaugh interviewed about this song and he was like Weird Al made the most perfect Devo song ever....and I hate him for it. And he's not wrong.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:24 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
I actually am totally with you on this one. I don't know if you ever saw the Weird Al behind the Music but they had the dude from Devo Mark Mothersbaugh interviewed about this song and he was like Weird Al made the most perfect Devo song ever....and I hate him for it. And he's not wrong.

here's one quote i know you'll vibe with me on:

Walter: Am i wrong?
Dude: Well no...
Dude: Uhhh well...
Dude: NO WALTER YOU'RE JUST AN ASSHOLE!!!!!
Walter: ....ok then. (*smugly justified*)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Wierd Al is a guilty pleasure of mine. I also enjoy his music.

I support this declaration.

Also, the Wierd Al behind the music is a good watch. To this day he genuinely feels bad that Coolio didnt officially give his blessing to Amish Paradise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Damn, Sini, when I hit you up on FB I wasn't playing a game with you. I figured you'd know it was me right away. That hurts me very deeply.

Anyway, I think you're giving way to much credit to Weird Al. I don't think he gave the slightest thought to dada. He's appealing to the lowest common denominator like funnywallphotos.com.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Also, the Wierd Al behind the music is a good watch. To this day he genuinely feels bad that Coolio didnt officially give his blessing to Amish Paradise.

I get the feeling since no legal action was taken that maybe Coolio gave permission, took the cash, and then acted like it bothered him to preserve his reputation or the song.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Spaulding wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I get the feeling since no legal action was taken that maybe Coolio gave permission, took the cash, and then acted like it bothered him to preserve his reputation or the song.

Parody is protected by the constitution, so there wouldn't be any lawsuit, at least not one that would go anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Parody is protected by the constitution, so there wouldn't be any lawsuit, at least not one that would go anywhere.

Jerry Falwell found that out the hard way

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Spaulding wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Coolio's reputation took a hit when Lou Diamond Phillips whupped his ass in the final of "Celebrity Cook-Off" in spite of all the great coaching I gave him. Coolio's my bro but he shoulda stuck with a "Can-o-corn". Lou definitely drove the bus to Flavortown that day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:54 pm 

i've always felt "alapalooza" was his best album.

his best individual song, i think, is "white and nerdy". the shit he came up for that was awesome and spot on, without being insulting to geeks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Spaulding wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

That is what Al's record company says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9RjoUbA ... sults_main

4:10 into the clip

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm 

I didn't know that about parody...interesting...could he still sue for copyrighted material? Don't people have to reach agreements for sampling?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Spaulding wrote:
I didn't know that about parody...interesting...could he still sue for copyrighted material? Don't people have to reach agreements for sampling?

As long as it's satirical or a parody, he'd be ok. If he makes "Ice Ice Baby" then he'll get sued.

I wonder why Nirvana was never sued by Boston for Smells Like Teen Spirit. Or Boston from the Louie Louie guy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:09 am 

Ice says Theirs goes ding ding ding diga ding ding, ding ding ding diga ding ding ours goes ding ding ding diga ding ding tsss ding ding ding diga ding. That litty bitty ting. It's not the same. :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
"I smell like I sound, I'm lost and I'm found"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Colonel Angus wrote:
I wonder why Nirvana was never sued by Boston for Smells Like Teen Spirit. Or Boston from the Louie Louie guy.

You can't simply copyright a chord progression. Those songs don't share a melody.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

You can't simply copyright a chord progression. Those songs don't share a melody.
Awesome White Guy Afro Drummer begs to differ....
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:53 am 
Site Admin

I think he's just upset because Marianne walked away.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Delp had such great pipes, too bad he offed himself.