It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
Maybe McNeil spent too much time watching daytime TV during his time off. This jewelry bit sounds like a segment they'd cut from The View for being too sappy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Yeah, I'm not saying that it is fake. I just think that it is one of those things that makes for an easy catch all excuse and that individuals can fake it. I cant prove that you arent depressed, you can say whatever you want, I just have to take your word for it. This makes it an easy target for drug abusers and others looking for an excuse for their behavior.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:04 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
[
Can you see a chart that shows the chemical levels in peoples bodies/brains?

Do most people that go to their doctors and say they are depressed get this blood work done and analyzed? I'm not being sarcastic, I dont know the answer to that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Hank Scorpio wrote:
This makes it an easy target for drug abusers and others looking for an excuse for their behavior.

I understand your logic, but one of the reasons there are so many drug abusers is because many are unaware of how to deal with the illness so they self-medicate.

Hank, I like you a lot but I think you should just back away from this one man.

I've had horrible bouts of depression since childhood. I've received understanding for it, as well as ridicule. It is what it is. I don't make excuses. It's an illness that I live with. I manage it, and I don't apologize for being affected by it.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:05 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Do most people that go to their doctors and say they are depressed get this blood work done and analyzed?
I think when it gets to a certain point a lot of people do.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
I'm going to beat Curious Hair to the punch and recommend that Our resident MDs do a little reading (PDF), especially pp 28-30.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:07 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

Do most people that go to their doctors and say they are depressed get this blood work done and analyzed? I'm not being sarcastic, I dont know the answer to that.

If they are hospitilized, yes.

Otherwise, maybe, but usually the doctor will take the person's word for it and its pretty evident.

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
rogers park bryan wrote:

And there is the difference.

1.)Which people suffer from an actual Depression resulting from unbalanced chemicals in the brain which requires the use of medication(s) to bring in some semblance of balance?

2.)Which people simply feel sad/depressed and go to the Dr. to get some medication which the Dr. dispenses with nary a 2nd look.

I've seen #1 and I've seen #2.

The #2 can be a self-fulfilling prophecy, you don't need medication yet you get it anyways. You use and abuse it, become dependent. The resulting dependence and over-use (which is any use if you don't need it) messes your brains ability to produce what it needs endogenously. Then you try and quit and you're fucked.

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

Most probably don't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:08 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

Otherwise, maybe, but usually the doctor will take the person's word for it and its pretty evident.

I think you can kinda scratch that "and it's pretty evident" part....

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Depression is the new go to blame for everything. It probably does exist but I would hazard a guess that some people are just in it for the meds.

I dont really know Mac so I dont truthfully care but anything that gets LoHo off the air is OK by me. Hell, I love White Sox radio broadcasts because of that.

My Wife works in the Medical industry & I could tell you stories that you wouldn't believe about the druggies who come into her office every day seeking pain meds.

As for depression, I tend to agree with your position that it has become an excuse for a lot of people. Similarly, I had a Family member who struggled with addiction & because someone told him that he was born with the "disease" of addiction, he used it as an excuse to basically say that it wasn't his fault & he couldn't do anything about it. He died at the age of 44. Who knows if some people are born predisposed to addiction problems, or if it is simply a matter of people being different & some people having less will power or the ability to make good decisions. I'm not sure that addiction is a condition that some people are born with though.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:12 am 

SomeGuy wrote:

Just my opinion.

Yeah, maybe bad wording.

What I mean is Doctors/therapists are not gonna interrogate someone who says they have it. They'll take their word for it and treat them.

Like I said, of course people abuse it that doesnt negate its validity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: ALL
To all you who do not believe depression exists, I could give 2 shits, you are what you are. I just hope that you never get a phone call from a relative who suffers telling you they are in a motel room and won't tell you where it is or what they are thinking. Fortunately we found our relative and they have been on their meds since then.

That was 35 years ago and it feels like yesterday, some things are out of our control, that is why I spend very little time worrying about haters or people that have no influnce in my life. I try to spend my time with those I love and enjoying the things I like.

I wish all the best, and to those who don't want it, meh!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

OK, that is all I'm getting at. If you go to a doc and get actual testing done and they can point to things being wrong in their body, that is one thing. If I go to a doc and tell them I am depressed and they write a couple of RXs then I have a problem with it. In 2012 the medical field should not be just taking people's word for something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Just my opinion.

Yeah, maybe bad wording.

What I mean is Doctors/therapists are not gonna interrogate someone who says they have it. They'll take their word for it and treat them.

Like I said, of course people abuse it that doesnt negate its validity.

Never said that it did, but I would venture a total and complete guess that the amount of people "faking it" or whatever you want to call it actually outnumbers the amount of people that actually have legitimate chemical imbalances in the brain.

Of course, this is based on my experiences and some reading, so take it for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:16 am 

Right, no one is denying that it gets abused.

But you said "It probably exists"

No, it definitely exists.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
In 2012 the medical field should not be just taking people's word for something.

http://youtu.be/dNF6U4mlpxg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:20 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Yeah, I said that. For sure bad wording on my part. I didnt want to imply I think it doesnt exist, just in lower occurances than people would have you believe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yeah, I said that. For sure bad wording on my part. I didnt want to imply I think it doesnt exist, just in lower occurances than people would have you believe.

I dont care what you say anymore, cuz its my life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 am 

Well, all depression is chemical. What do you think your brain is? Even if it's not measurable on a test it's still coming from chemical reactions and can be modified by the use of medicine.

Also, what does it matter? If someone considers themselves to be unhappy enough to seek medical intervention then why shouldn't they have a chance to take a pill in order to fix it? Yes, there are side effects that they need to be aware of and make the decision for themselves. It's not like some guy who had a bad day decided to make a doctors appointment and get some meds. These people normally have long term issues they've dealt with. Of course they may be overmedicated but if the good outweighs the bad then what is the matter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:23 am 

maybe mac's problem/solution is a simple one: move the fuck out of Indiana. It's depressing just driving through that hillbilly shithole.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Well, all depression is chemical. What do you think your brain is? Even if it's not measurable on a test it's still coming from chemical reactions and can be modified by the use of medicine.

Also, what does it matter? If someone considers themselves to be unhappy enough to seek medical intervention then why shouldn't they have a chance to take a pill in order to fix it? Yes, there are side effects that they need to be aware of and make the decision for themselves. It's not like some guy who had a bad day decided to make a doctors appointment and get some meds. These people normally have long term issues they've dealt with. Of course they may be overmedicated but if the good outweighs the bad then what is the matter?

First hand experience with the problems of overmedicating for depression. The good most certainly did not outweigh the bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 am 

NearWessSideHussra wrote:
maybe mac's problem/solution is a simple one: move the fuck out of Indiana. It's depressing just driving through that hillbilly shithole.

I can't disagree with that.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:25 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:

:evil:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Read about the pill mills in Florida.

Invasion of the Pill Mills in South Florida
By Thomas R. Collins / Fort Lauderdale Tuesday, Apr. 13, 2010

It's only 8:45 a.m., but the storefront is already busy. Men and women in jeans, baseball hats and leather jackets keep the tinted door swinging open and closed. But this is not a retail outlet. It's a pain-management clinic. The people have come for pills.

The waiting room at Broward Pain Clinic is swarming. A woman begs a receptionist, "There's no way he can squeeze me in?" "We're packed," the receptionist explains. "Packed, packed, packed."

There are more of these pain clinics here in Broward County than there are McDonald's restaurants: 115 so-called pill mills, vs. about 70 of the burger franchises. And that profusion contributes to one big problem: there is no tracking system to prevent patients from getting multiple pill prescriptions at once and immediately, because the clinics hand out the pills rather than making people go to a pharmacy. The business card of the Broward Pain Clinic announces, "Dispensing on Site!" — a service that's also trumpeted by dozens of other clinics. Because of that, cocaine is no longer king in South Florida, as it was during the Miami Vice era. Prescription oxycodone now reigns supreme. (See pictures of America's cannabis culture.)

The nation's top 25 oxycodone-dispensing doctors were all in Florida in the first half of 2008; 18 of them were in Broward County, according to a Broward County state attorney grand-jury report. In South Florida overall, there were 176 pill mills, up from 66 just 14 months before. This has contributed to tourism — pill-shopping trips to the Sunshine State from Tennessee and Kentucky, where authorities have cracked down hard on similar clinics, seem to be as common as Disney vacations nowadays. In the parking lot of the Broward Pain Clinic, there are just as many license plates from Ohio, Tennessee and Kentucky as there are from Florida.

The rest of the article is here:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1981582,00.html

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:26 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
First hand experience with the problems of overmedicating for depression. The good most certainly did not outweigh the bad.
That's exactly the point though. It didn't work and didn't improve things. Medication doesn't always work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I take anti d med. The majority of people take a SSRI or a MAOI. These strictly act to regulate chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters. There is zero advantage to abusing these drugs. They don't make you high or pain relief in any way. If you don't have a problem waste of time then. On the other hand things more like Xanax and tranquilizers are in fact abused.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Enjoying the show today.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:

:evil:

:lol: Hey, I live there too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Is Kerry really in a position to laugh at someone else for misspeaking?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next