It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
When I was growing up, Saturday night TV was highlighted by "All in the Family" & "Carol Burnett and Friends". Over the years, Saturday has been considered by many as the worst night of the week for prime time TV, and where long-running series ended up dying.

In recent years, Saturday night TV on the broadcast networks have been highlighted by movies on ABC, along with encore presentations of prime time series during the week on NBC & CBS. For the longest time, FOX gave viewers a double dose of "COPS" followed by "America's Most Wanted" before the network pulled the plug last spring due to declining ratings. Although a special episode of "AMW" devoting to the world's "Most Wanted" will air on FOX Saturday, April 21st at 7p, regular episodes of "AMW" with host John Walsh have relocated to Lifetime, DIRECTV 252, where it airs at 8p Friday nights.

Why do I bring this up? Because when it comes to Saturday nights, FOX has decided to break the mold with quite a Saturday night schedule of sports programming that'll occupy a lot of airtime in the coming weeks and months.

FOX Sports' prime time sports slate starts this weekend with the Samsung Mobile 500, the first NASCAR Sprint Cup stop of the season at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth. Live prime time coverage from trackside starts at 6p (CT). "NASCAR on FOX" goes prime time yet again Saturday, April 28th with more NSCS Racing from Richmond, VA & on Saturday, May 12th from Darlington, SC. But wait, there's more...

The second "UFC on FOX" card airs from what's now called the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, NJ Saturday, May 5th. If that's not enough, STAPLES Center in FOX's homebase of Los Angeles hosts "UFC on FOX 3" Saturday, August 4th and a fourth "UFC on FOX" card is scheduled for Saturday, December 8th.

Want more? "MLB on FOX" goes primetime for 8 straight Saturday nights starting Saturday, May 19th, and college football joins the FOX Sports' schedule for 8 more straight Saturdays starting Saturday, September 1st. Game 4 of the 2012 World Series is scheduled to air Saturday, October 27th followed by 5 more consecutive Saturdays of college football ending with the 2nd annual Big Ten Championship Game in Indianapolis on Saturday, December 1st.

All that, plus the Coca-Cola 600 Sunday, May 27th, the MLB All-Star Game in Kansas City Tuesday, July 10th, 2 NFL preseason games in August, as many as 12 total National League Championship Series & World Series games & the Pac-12 Championship Game Friday, November 30th all add up to possibly 20 more nights of prime time sports on the FOX schedule in addition to some 100 hours of Saturday night sports programming. All I gotta say is...WOW!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Saturday nights are Hockey Night in Canada on the NHL Network in winter and College Football in the fall. The summer should be spent out of doors.

SHARK. You should buy an outdoor fire place and have a few Bud Lights whilst sitting beside it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
SHARK, will I still get my Office reruns?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
spmack wrote:

You like that show too? That's my favorite show in about the last 15 years.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:20 pm 

spmack wrote:

This Saturday...Not at 6:30p.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:24 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Saturday nights are Hockey Night in Canada on the NHL Network in winter and College Football in the fall. The summer should be spent out of doors.

SHARK. You should buy an outdoor fire place and have a few Bud Lights whilst sitting beside it.

Bud Light...Here we go! I wouldn't mind having 1 watching the games...preferably in person.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
SHARK wrote:
When I was growing up, Saturday night TV was highlighted by "All in the Family" & "Carol Burnett and Friends".

My first memories of All in the Family is Sunday nights in '79.

How old are you? After 1975, All in the Family was only broadcast on Saturday for five months and switched to Sundays nights in '77.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:04 pm 

NSJ wrote:
SHARK wrote:
When I was growing up, Saturday night TV was highlighted by "All in the Family" & "Carol Burnett and Friends".

How old are you? After 1975, All in the Family was only broadcast on Saturday for five months and switched to Sundays nights in '77.

"All in the Family" started in 1971.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:11 pm 

SHARK wrote:
NSJ wrote:
SHARK wrote:

I'm not following you, SHARK. All in the Family did in fact start in 1971, but that doesn't have any relevance to my post regarding the days on which it was broadcast post 1975.

What am I missing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
spmack wrote:

No, I don't watch it...it's just that after a baseball game on FOX, this is usually on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:22 pm 

spmack wrote:
spmack wrote:

No, I don't watch it...it's just that after a baseball game on FOX, this is usually on.

That would be Saturday afternoon, guys. By the way, Cubs/Cardinals are the "MLB on FOX' game at Noon this Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:38 pm 

NSJ wrote:
SHARK wrote:

I'm not following you, SHARK. All in the Family did in fact start in 1971, but that doesn't have any relevance to my post regarding the days on which it was broadcast post 1975.

What am I missing?

Are you saying that it was broadcast on Saturday nights for more than 5 months since 1975?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
spmack wrote:

What do you think of this season. After kind of a slow start, it's picked up a bit. I think I could do w/o Robert CA and that Bri'ish bitch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:29 pm 

You are on your own.