It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
http://placeshakers.wordpress.com/2012/ ... migration/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I read the article. I have lived in the same house for 25 years in a quiet neighborhood,I guess that makes me " not cool". Peace and quiet is what I want first in any neighborhood. You can have your city.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:04 pm 

What an absurd column. Yes young kids want to move the city. Then a large percentage realize that they want to move to the burbs while some stay in the city. This is not new.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Vincent Antonelli wrote:
What an absurd column. Yes young kids want to move the city. Then a large percentage realize that they want to move to the burbs while some stay in the city. This is not new.

Yeah, real ground breaking stuff there in the article.

The 'burbs will be made relics because of the cost of energy, not because cool kids don't want to live there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:59 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
I read the article. I have lived in the same house for 25 years in a quiet neighborhood,I guess that makes me " not cool". Peace and quiet is what I want first in any neighborhood. You can have your city.

What a typically unsophisticated suburban answer. There are plenty of quiet neighborhoods in the city and plenty of noisy neighborhoods in the suburbs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
How's community involvement in the city? I don't think I'd want to live in Cook County right now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Murder rates in the City are out of control
Crime rates in general...much higher in the City
Public Schools in the suburbs are superior-not including the satellight schools (unavailable to the most students). So if a decent education of your children is important, this might be a consideration.

Besides all that, the issues with parking and traffic congestion that tend to crop up in the city are usually not an issue in the suburbs. In general, life in the burbs is superior. Anything the City has to offer, can be enjoyed (Ballgames, Theater & Resturants) when visiting the city. No need to reside there and deal with all the crap.

Last edited by Elmhurst Steve on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
jimmypasta wrote:

No Jimmy, your love of Kevin James and obsession with talking about your ass are what makes you "not cool"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:13 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Public Schools in the suburbs are superior-not including the sattellight schools

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
spanky wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Public Schools in the suburbs are superior-not including the sattellight schools

Awesome.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:14 am 

spanky wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Awesome.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve is obviously a product of one of those poor inner-city schools.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:00 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Murder rates in the City are out of control
Crime rates in general...much higher in the City.

I've written before and I'll write it again, the murder rate in the city is high, but that is based on a handfull of communities. The overwhelming majority of this city is safe 24 hours a day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
why would I have a yard the size of a postage stamp and a small house when I can have a large house and lawn for the same price? I can get to the city when I want still.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:30 pm 

I've got all the Olive Garden's and Applebee's I could ever wish for in the burbs. Why would I ever want to eat at a good restaurant?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
What a typically unsophisticated suburban answer. There are plenty of quiet neighborhoods in the city and plenty of noisy neighborhoods in the suburbs.
Where are these quiet neighborhoods in the city? I can't remember the last place I was in Chicago that would be considered quiet as compared to living on your standard street in a subdivision.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:34 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
I've got all the Olive Garden's and Applebee's I could ever wish for in the burbs. Why would I ever want to eat at a good restaurant?

I happen to love Applebee's and Olive Garden. But then I have the taste sophistication of a five year old.

HEY!! TATER TOTS!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:34 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Those exist in fancy big cities too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:36 pm 

Both of those are pretty bad. There may be no help for your tastes, CoF. :puker:
But that doesn't mean the burbs area a wasteland for good food. There are lots of good places to eat in all directions of the burbs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
We even have some good restaurants in Indiana. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:03 pm 

spanky wrote:
Both of those are pretty bad. There may be no help for your tastes, CoF. :puker:
But that doesn't mean the burbs area a wasteland for good food. There are lots of good places to eat in all directions of the burbs.

absolutely. Urban Grill in Geneva is good, plenty of other good places just a little ways away.

Applebee's Orange Chicken Bowl. Like a roto-rooter to the colon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 pm 

City of Fools wrote:

Sounds great. Can I get that wrapped in a Dorito shell?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:14 pm 

spanky wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Sounds great. Can I get that wrapped in a Dorito shell?

only if you have an up-to-date life insurance policy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:20 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Where are these quiet neighborhoods in the city? I can't remember the last place I was in Chicago that would be considered quiet as compared to living on your standard street in a subdivision.

You are kidding, correct? Let me introduce you to Chicago. Sauganash Park, Sauganash, Edgebrook, Wildwood, Norwood Park, Edison Park, some of Gladstone and Mayfair...and that is just a very small sample off the top of my head only of the Northwest Side of the city. Some are moderately priced. All have good grade schools even in comparison to the suburbs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:24 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
why would I have a yard the size of a postage stamp and a small house when I can have a large house and lawn for the same price? I can get to the city when I want still.

Do I really have to explain why you get a big parcel for little money?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Do I really have to explain why you get a big parcel for little money?

I'm well aware of why it costs less to live out here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
You are kidding, correct? Let me introduce you to Chicago. Sauganash Park, Sauganash, Edgebrook, Wildwood, Norwood Park, Edison Park, some of Gladstone and Mayfair...and that is just a very small sample off the top of my head only of the Northwest Side of the city. Some are moderately priced. All have good grade schools even in comparison to the suburbs.
Most of those places have a major expressway incredibly close and most have above ground trains that go relatively close too.

They are quiet compared to the rest of the city, but there is no way it's as quiet there as most of the similarly priced housing markets in the suburbs unless they happen to be right next to the downtown areas of those cities.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Beverley, Mt Greenwood...

Wrigleyville is not very quiet accordingl bigfan.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Most of those places have a major expressway incredibly close and most have above ground trains that go relatively close too.

They are quiet compared to the rest of the city, but there is no way it's as quiet there as most of the similarly priced housing markets in the suburbs unless they happen to be right next to the downtown areas of those cities.

Lincolnwood...relatively expensive and quiet suburb, right off the expressway

Wilmette...expensive and quiet suburb, right off the expressway with a train station and a highly traveled road (Sheridan)

Would you like me to go on and include the beautiful and expensive suburbs leading from the expressway to Ravinia.

I'm not just pulling my opinions out of my ass Rick. I think you have some idyllic vision of the suburbs that they are as quiet as farmland.

Orland has plenty of nice houses and some of the worst traffic you can find in this county

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:47 pm 

Lincolnwood? Doesn't that border Chicago? Of course that's not much different. There isn't some magic line as soon as you leave Chicago that turns the land into a house every mile.

I don't know enough about Wilmette as I'm not from the northern suburbs but I'd be surprised if Wilmette was as loud as most any neighborhood in Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
good dolphin wrote:
I've written before and I'll write it again, the murder rate in the city is high, but that is based on a handfull of communities. The overwhelming majority of this city is safe 24 hours a day.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/January-2012/Gangs-and-Politicians-Map-of-Chicago-Gangs/