It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:15 am 

FavreFan wrote:
I never said it was the #1 priority. I said it's an objective inherent to the sport.
I read your initial quote differently.
FavreFan wrote:
Many football players have said their intent on every single play was to knock whoever they were hitting out of the game. The strategy to literally do whatever you could to knock someone out of the game exists with or without the bounty system. It's fundamental to the game.

FavreFan wrote:
Are you suggesting you know more about the sport and the mentality it takes to play at the pro level than professional players do? Because guys like Marecellus Nas, Darren Woodson, Tom Jackson, Ryan Clark, Mike Golic, Bill Rpmanowski(ok, bad example maybe) all suggest that they recognized they were trying to hurt the other player legally on every play and the other guy felt the same way. Why do you think they're lying?
Well, some players clearly play with an intent to injure but it is my opinion that most players are worried much more about stopping the offensive player and getting the job done. They may not be upset if the person gets knocked out of the game but the whole mentality is simply to stop the current play. That is where the bounty program was different. The #1 priority came to knock the player out of the game.

So, is it your opinion that a large majority of the Packers defense spends every play trying to knock the other player out of the game? To me, I think stopping the opponent from getting positive yardage or making a catch or a big run is by far what they are worried about more. This is especially true in the current NFL where most of the hits that you could be pretty sure you'd get an injury are now illegal.

So, can you name the Packers defensive players that you think start the play thinking about how they can injure someone else on the team?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
let me ask you this..do you really think a player would make an illegal hit that will cost his team 15 yards and exten a drive for the offense and probably got fined 25-50 k in order to get 1500 dollars after the game?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 am 

312player wrote:
let me ask you this..do you really think a player would make an illegal hit that will cost his team 15 yards and exten a drive for the offense and probably got fined 25-50 k in order to get 1500 dollars after the game?
A few players don't seem to care much. Most would not do that.

However, that brings up another reason why the "We want to injure a player on every play" thing is overblown. You can't play like that and not get penalties like that eventually. That's why the same guys keeping on getting these fines.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I think these guys are saying that they hit people as hard as they can on every play and that the more damage they inflict as a result the better. I do not think they are saying that they eye up a guy and figure out the best angle and timing required to injure him the most severely and then hit him. This uproar is about players making their main focus late hits, and the targeting of specific body parts on certain players such as the head, knee and ankle. I'm sure if you break down all the film you can plainly see the natural violence of most hits and the blatant premeditated body part hunting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:49 am 

Im gonna put a bounty on this whole topic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:54 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im gonna put a bounty on this whole topic

I would recommend that you consider this man for the job.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jfcwEpUNZc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Somebody may have put this before, but is Payton in trouble of losing his job here.

Listening to Florio on the Mac and Spiegel show, didn't make it sound too good for Payton, and kept bringing up stuff and something about a Vicodin theft.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 pm 

Do you think that Payton was on the bounty list when he was taken out from the sideline?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:48 pm 

reents wrote:
Somebody may have put this before, but is Payton in trouble of losing his job here.

Listening to Florio on the Mac and Spiegel show, didn't make it sound too good for Payton, and kept bringing up stuff and something about a Vicodin theft.

i say no chance payton loses job..too good a coach on too good a team.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I thought so too but I if it were just fines maybe those would have been handed out already. They can't worry about player safety then not do something here. An example might be made. The friend thing is weird and so is the vicodin theft.

How did this all get out anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:21 pm 

tell me how to adjust browser and i will tell you how this was leaked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
How did this all get out anyway?

psh. probably aaron brooks. that bastard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 pm 

the snitch was geoff santini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:33 pm 

For this story, NFL Network just reported that we could no more about the penalties this week.

THey are meeting in New York.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 am 

Full year for Payton
Indefinitely for Williams
Eight games for Loomis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:41 pm 

Uh oh. Dick Durbin isn't happy with the Saints or the NFL:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77228 ... unties-nfl

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Dick Durbin is setting up a Judiciary Committee hearing about bounties in the NFL and other major sports in the wake of news that New Orleans Saints players received extra cash for hits that hurt particular opponents.

Mike and Mike in the Morning

WWL's Bobby Hebert talks about his reaction to the NFL's punishment of the Saints for their illegal bounty system and dishes on how Sean Payton's absence will impact Drew Brees. Hebert says the penalties are steep because the team wasn't honest with the league.

The assistant Senate majority leader, an Illinois Democrat, says he wants to examine whether federal law should make such bounty systems a crime.

Durbin's announcement Thursday comes a day after the NFL took a harsh stand on bounties, suspending Saints head coach Sean Payton for all of next season, and indefinitely banning their former defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams.

Payton is the first head coach suspended by the league for any reason.

Sending a message by taking a harsh stand, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell also banned Saints general manager Mickey Loomis for the first eight regular-season games next season -- believed to be the first time a GM was suspended by the NFL -- and assistant coach Joe Vitt for the first six games.

In addition, Goodell fined the Saints $500,000 and took away their second-round draft pick this year and in 2013.

Durbin calls the Saints' bounties a "disturbing practice." He plans to ask representatives of the NFL, Major League Baseball, NBA, NHL and NCAA to testify at the hearing.

Punishment for any Saints players involved will be determined later, because the league is still reviewing the case with the NFL Players Association.

"While I will not address player conduct at this time, I am profoundly troubled by the fact that players -- including leaders among the defensive players -- embraced this program so enthusiastically and participated with what appears to have been a deliberate lack of concern for the well-being of their fellow players," Goodell said.

The NFLPA on Thursday said in a statement that it still waiting for cooperation from the Saints and NFL to set up interviews with people in New Orleans' organization.

"NFLPA leadership looks forward to meeting with the Commissioner to discuss the League's 'Bounty' investigation," the NFLPA said. "To date, neither the League, nor the Saints, have helped us facilitate interviews with members of management or the coaching staff. We expect the League to provide all information so that we can ensure a fair process for all who were involved."

The NFL said the Saints' bounty scheme involved 22 to 27 defensive players and ws run by Williams, targeting opponents including quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Brett Favre and Kurt Warner. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.

The bounty pool reached as much as $50,000 during the 2009 season when the Saints won their championship, the league said.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
DITKA!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Saints' HC Sean Payton will appeal his one-year suspension for his role in "Bounty-Gate". Why?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:05 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Saints' HC Sean Payton will appeal his one-year suspension for his role in "Bounty-Gate". Why?

He is literally appealing to the one guy who is solely responsible for the decision. Makes no sense.

Hey Roger, I think you are power hungry and overstepped your bounds on my suspension

Fuck you.

Ok.

Is pretty much how that's going to go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Northside_Dan wrote:
SHARK wrote:

He is literally appealing to the one guy who is solely responsible for the decision. Makes no sense.

Hey Roger, I think you are power hungry and overstepped your bounds on my suspension

Fuck you.

Ok.

Well, the other shoe will soon drop. It's my understanding there will be players about to get punished by Commissioner Goodell, plus Bill Parcells might leave ESPN yet again to coach the Saints and there's been talk Payton might join "FOX NFL Sunday" in their Los Angeles studios. AWKWARD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:10 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Fuck you.

Ok.

Well, the other shoe will soon drop. It's my understanding there will be players about to get punished by Commissioner Goodell, plus Bill Parcells might leave ESPN yet again to coach the Saints and there's been talk Payton might join "FOX NFL Sunday" in their Los Angeles studios. AWKWARD!

I hope he starts a bounty system to take out Terry Bradshaw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:48 am 

I wasn't around much yesterday and am not sure if this was mentioned anywhere but they got some audio on Gregg Williams before the NFC Championship game http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... hnn9kbqQUA

Williams might as well accept his retirement. If this clip were from any random coach it might turn a few eyes but I don't think it would shock anyone.....however....knowing the back story on the Saints and Williams makes this a finisher for his career. I thought at first he was metaphorically speaking about killing the head and the body will die but as he goes on and says for the players to attack the head in the pile it becomes literal. He also spoke of targeting Crabtree's ACL which is just bad form. He was also said to have given a dollar sign when saying " I got the first" in regards to blowing up Alex Smith.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 pm 

The Appeals were denied, so is Parcells on his way to the Saints.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:25 am 

ESPN now reporting that Parcells will not coach Saints.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Johnathan Vilma suspended for the year.
Fujita gets 3.
Will Smith gets 4.
Packer Anthony Hargrove gets 8.

Yikes.

Last edited by Terry's Peeps on Wed May 02, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Will Smith gets 8.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
312player wrote:
the goal is to knock the shit out of the opponent in football...retarded to try to compare to basketball
I understand, but the goal of the bounty system is to knock a player out of the game so your team has a better chance of winning. If the Pacers can knock Derrick Rose out of the game/series they have a better chance of winning.

:o

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Johnathan Vilma suspended for the year.
Fujita gets 3.
Will Smith gets 4.
Packer Anthony Hargrove gets 8.

Yikes.

Damn, who will here all of these appeals?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:18 pm 

all well deserved.

fuck vilma and his underachieving ass anyway. he won't be missed. i'm disappointed in fujita.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next