It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:25 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
So who the hell is Winthorp?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:58 am 

If you are a basketball fan then the Mac and Speigel show may not be for you. This is not about vilifying Dan McNeil because he is not a basketball fan. Most of the post that I have read the last few days have been objective. In fact most of this has been about people who are fans of the show and basketball wanting him to talk more about basketball. It has not been particularly personal in my opinion though the defenders of the show would have tended to believe that it is. I have listened to Dan McNeil since he was Chet' Coppock's producer and I am familiar with the disinterest that he has for basketball. My problem is that during particular parts of the year this being one of them it is difficult to cede the sport because you don't like it. What is ironic is that sports talk show hosts on the score (McNeil included) have for years criticized other stations and shows for failing to prioritize what should and should not be discussed. When another station has failed to lead off with something that they feel is important they are the first ones to criticize. McNeil was one of the main perpetrators in this respect. How is this any different?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Hawg Ass wrote:
Did Mac and Kid enjoy their train ride together, so many questions?

I saw him. He actually got on at Hegewisch, but he looked like he was in a hurry so I didn't bother him. I didn't want to be that guy yelling, "Hey DAMANAAA!" through a quiet train car. He looks great in Under Armour though. :)

The stinky guy wasn't even on the train today either.

BTW, the train was delayed at 115th. We sat there for like 20 minutes, so I'm not sure if DaMaNaaa even made it to work on time. Fuckin South Shore.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Danny Jurkovic leaving the Sox game early. I got up early today too and I stayed to the end :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:16 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
So who the hell is Winthorp?

I always meant to ask you Spark...

Since you work in that industry, does the last act of Trading Places make sense to you? I've always found it to be confusing as hell. I mean I kinda get the objective of what the Dukes were trying to do, but I don't get the inner-workings of trading, so the nuances go over my head. Just wondering if you could break it down.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:24 am 

Sure.

They're trading OJ. A commodity. So its all about the harvest/crop reports and weather.

The Dukes got the false report saying the OJ crop was going to be bad because of the harsh winter.

So, basic supply and demand. Less Oranges. OJ prices go up.

So before the report comes out and the market can react, they buy as much as possible. They wanna buy it cheap before the crop report comes out and the market goes up (They think).

So they end up buying all the OJ in the range of 120-130 and have to sell it back as low as 29

Winthorp and Valentine did the exact opposite because they knew the ACTUAL crop report was gonna say the Oranges were not affected and the harvest would be good (price goes down)

So they sold the shit out of it while the Dukes were buying it up to 142 and then when the report came out they bought it back at a huge profit

The actual trading is pretty realistic. A couple details are off, but its pretty close.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Sure.

They're trading OJ. A commodity. So its all about the harvest/crop reports and weather.

The Dukes got the false report saying the OJ crop was going to be bad because of the harsh winter.

So before the report comes out and the market can react, they buy as much as possible. They wanna buy it cheap before the crop report comes out and the market goes up (They think).

So they end up buying all the OJ in the range of 120-130 and have to sell it back as low as 29

Winthorp and Valentine did the exact opposite because they knew the ACTUAL crop report was gonna say the Oranges were not affected and the harvest would be good (price goes down)

So they sold the shit out of it while the Dukes were buying it up to 142 and then when the report came out they bought it back at a huge profit

The actual trading is pretty realistic. A couple details are off, but its pretty close.

Awesome. Thanks for the explanation man. Like I said, I've always loved the movie but I never completely understood that plot point.

No basketball on tonight so I think I'll go home and watch the movie today with my newfound perspective. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
good dolphin wrote:
I was also at the game and saw Dan in the concourse after the 7th inning around section 123. I didn't say anything because he was engrossed in a conversation and I was entertaining clients. Two ships passing in the night.

I was there last night too as part of a fundraiser for DG youth baseball. If you saw anybody wandering around on the field before the game that was our group. We were in sections 103 & 104. Seat weasles came and stole a shirt from me. The section they have for kids is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:37 am 
100000 CLUB

I used to have breakfast with Les Oranges...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:39 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Did Mac and Kid enjoy their train ride together, so many questions?

I saw him. He actually got on at Hegewisch, but he looked like he was in a hurry so I didn't bother him. I didn't want to be that guy yelling, "Hey DAMANAAA!" through a quiet train car. He looks great in Under Armour though. :)

The stinky guy wasn't even on the train today either.

BTW, the train was delayed at 115th. We sat there for like 20 minutes, so I'm not sure if DaMaNaaa even made it to work on time. Fuckin South Shore.

What was your plan of attack if you were going to approach him? Thanks for the update, and I am glad stinky wasn't on the train today. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:41 am 

I thought he'd already be on the train when I got on, so I was just gonna walk past and say "Hi Mac." But since I was already sitting when he got on, I didn't want to be a douche and flag him down while he was trying to get to his seat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:44 am 

I thought he'd already be on the train when I got on, so I was just gonna walk past and say "Hi Mac." But since I was already sitting when he got on, I didn't want to be a douche and flag him down while he was trying to get to his seat.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:53 am 

Yeah Q. That's a big fucking block of text there. It's like a Rice Krispies square of words.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Mac wrote:
The idiot even admitted he forgot to TIVO the game. Do your job, dickhead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Yeah Q. That's a big fucking block of text there. It's like a Rice Krispies square of words.

That's usually an AutoSkip for me.

Producing Enticing Paragraph Structures is an art form.

try Producing Entertainingly Enticing Paragraph Structures

then we could make a mult called Terry's P.E.E.P.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 am 

You're a mad scientist Sini. That's a compliment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:51 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Sure.

I think you are missing one part of the description which can be the most confusing. Winthorp and Billy Ray are selling what they do not own once the price gets high, then making the purchase to cover the sales after the report when the price plummets. So they sold OJ at 142+ while purchasing it in the low 20s resulting in more than 100 of profit per trade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:52 am 

Spaulding wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I was also at the game and saw Dan in the concourse after the 7th inning around section 123. I didn't say anything because he was engrossed in a conversation and I was entertaining clients. Two ships passing in the night.

I was there last night too as part of a fundraiser for DG youth baseball. If you saw anybody wandering around on the field before the game that was our group. We were in sections 103 & 104. Seat weasles came and stole a shirt from me. The section they have for kids is fun.

The shirt is pretty nice, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:29 am 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Sure.

I think you are missing one part of the description which can be the most confusing. Winthorp and Billy Ray are selling what they do not own once the price gets high, then making the purchase to cover the sales after the report when the price plummets. So they sold OJ at 142+ while purchasing it in the low 20s resulting in more than 100 of profit per trade

Yes, thats correct. I sometimes forget thats not common knowledge. Its called "Shorting" the market.

You can sell what you dont own yet, as long as you buy it back before the futures contract expires.

Farmers will sell December corn today @ 540 and a quarter cent. In december, they can deliver the corn and take the money if its trading a lot lower than 540 and they make profit. On the other hand it could go up and they'd have to buy it back and lose money.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
if you're new to futures and options, I suggest starting out by selling call options as an easy way to make some spare money. maybe cotton calls. that market is pretty predictable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Well a very very heavy burtation tonight. We had a very darris darrison bite and let's go hit Terry Tazon for the bit and have the pit...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating

We need some kind of symbol that announces us as CSFMBers. That way, seeing as Mac won't recognize you, he could have just scanned the room and immediately acknowledged a fellow boarder.

Pantsless won't work Scorpio.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:03 pm 

beni hanna wrote:

We need some kind of symbol that announces us as CSFMBers. That way, seeing as Mac won't recognize you, he could have just scanned the room and immediately acknowledged a fellow boarder.

Pantsless won't work Scorpio.

Maybe some sort of numerical sequence on out forheads or something...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Mac, W&S just announced Cutler will be doing a weekly show. I expect you'll counter with Bobby Hull once a week? I believe Danno...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:05 pm 

How bout the guy they had on about the Hossa hit that didnt see the Hossa hit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

That would be great. Bring him on once a week to talk about a huge story and at the very end he admits to having no idea what they've been talking about the entire time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

Pretty good interview with Robin here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

That would be great. Bring him on once a week to talk about a huge story and at the very end he admits to having no idea what they've been talking about the entire time.

Loved it.

His tone after the admission was awesome "Caaam'oooonnn, I seen million hits, I know what im sayin""

Kinda depressing though. He missed it because he "had to work last night"

Figure being a pro athlete would mean never having to work a night job again

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
rogers park bryan wrote:

:lol: :lol: MAJOR PROGRAMMING ANNOUNCEMENT @ 1:00.

Could it be?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next