It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need Your Views Dan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Goff: :roll: :ncool:

You make a good point. If one of these shows decided to walk away from an offer, it would put the producers out of work too. I think this fact would influence Mac's and Spieg's decision. I don't think Bernstein would give his producers a thought when he's deciding. Not sure about the morning show.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm just telling you how the evil corporate suits are thinking. National shows probably won't work, but I guarentee you CBS is gonna give it a try in Chicago. They could always go back to local if it fails.

Like I said, you don't launch something like this without trying to get the big city markets.

"Mike and Mike" works in Chicago so it's not impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I think Bernstein likes his producers enough to consider that into the equation. I don't think it would put Goff out of work, but I'm sure he wouldn't care too much for all this.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
I think Bernstein likes his producers enough to consider that into the equation. I don't think it would put Goff out of work, but I'm sure he wouldn't care too much for all this.

He likes them so long as their interests don't conflict with his interests. It's business. Not personal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:50 pm 

It was some silliness posted yesterday that got me surfing around to what stations CBS Radio owns. WJZ-AM in Baltimore might change their name but having read the story I doubt that CBS will look to disrupt what is already a success in its major markets. More along the lines of mid-market and small market stations getting the opportunity to piggyback on the larger markets. So B&B may be heard more clearly in Mattoon or Elkhart.

What I see more clearly is the opportunity for CBS to produce and package their own content to be distributed through their network. The expert analysts, the guests, the cross-promotional ties, they will be funneled down to the outlets. So instead of Dan Bernstein quoting NBC or getting guests from anywhere but ESPN, it will be expected to pass along the news and infotainment that CBS clears.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

No Clever Moniker wrote:
It was some silliness posted yesterday that got me surfing around to what stations CBS Radio owns. WJZ-AM in Baltimore might change their name but having read the story I doubt that CBS will look to disrupt what is already a success in its major markets. More along the lines of mid-market and small market stations getting the opportunity to piggyback on the larger markets. So B&B may be heard more clearly in Mattoon or Elkhart.

What I see more clearly is the opportunity for CBS to produce and package their own content to be distributed through their network. The expert analysts, the guests, the cross-promotional ties, they will be funneled down to the outlets. So instead of Dan Bernstein quoting NBC or getting guests from anywhere but ESPN, it will be expected to pass along the news and infotainment that CBS clears.

All of this is true, but they still are launching national radio shows. They would want those shows in big markets if they could succeed. They know it's not gonna work in all big cities but they will try to shove them in and see what and where they work. A trial process. Of course they're gonna get the backwater towns. They know that. They want a bigger empire. If they could get one national show in 30 markets that's a cheaper overall cost than 30 local shows in 30 markets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:58 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Interesting. Here is the article on CBS national sports radio.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cbs-creates-the-largest-major-market-sports-radio-network-in-the-nation-2012-06-21

Says they are going to invade the Score and other CBS stations across the country. Still local programming, obviously, but the Score will have national shows as well, I would think. This is bad news for Score backup hosts. Probably less weeknights and weekends for them to prove themselves. Why pay extra when you can just plug in the national feed at the Score. Hell, why let Larry do a half hour show when you can do a half hour of national radio? More cost effective for all local stations across the country. Plus I'm sure CBS corp will be pushing the local affiliates to air some of their national shows.

I was so grateful when they cut down that bullshit FoxSports radio garbage. One of the most depressing thing in the world was to go to take a shit, turn on the bathroom radio, only to hear that David Stein dipshit talking like he was someone's mommy/shrink. Fuckin' bullshit.

It was for me as well. That was a real down time in sports radio as 1000 was a mess as well. I have no hope that this is going to work out well for the fans. I'm not even against some national programming but it is going to be some bland shit guy CBS is trying to make their marquee talent.

On a positive note, it will probably upgrade the Score's college football focus on saturdays.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Interesting. Here is the article on CBS national sports radio.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cbs-creates-the-largest-major-market-sports-radio-network-in-the-nation-2012-06-21

Says they are going to invade the Score and other CBS stations across the country. Still local programming, obviously, but the Score will have national shows as well, I would think. This is bad news for Score backup hosts. Probably less weeknights and weekends for them to prove themselves. Why pay extra when you can just plug in the national feed at the Score. Hell, why let Larry do a half hour show when you can do a half hour of national radio? More cost effective for all local stations across the country. Plus I'm sure CBS corp will be pushing the local affiliates to air some of their national shows.

I was so grateful when they cut down that bullshit FoxSports radio garbage. One of the most depressing thing in the world was to go to take a shit, turn on the bathroom radio, only to hear that David Stein dipshit talking like he was someone's mommy/shrink. Fuckin' bullshit.

oh my lord that guy was insufferable... he was on latenights b4 les came back and good god... he talked about his "victory" over alcohol and the irony of most people's "victories" over alcohol is that when you hear about them incessantly you just wanna reach for your nipper, you know?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Dan is addressing the topic at 10:46 AM today, 6/22/2012.

Dan is terrified by it. Listen when you can.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
bigfan wrote:
In general, it is quite easy to cut costs in any business and all this does is cut costs.

That covers the entire thing in one short, concise sentence.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
start listening at about the 34:20 point. Mitch Rosen joins.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/?podcast_ur ... id=CBS.CHI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Mitch: "There will be no changes."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

I take no comfort in his statment. Hell, he might not even have a job when this shakes out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:53 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

I always believe what management tells me too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
So I should make a terrible parody thread called Need your News Van right?

Make sure to get spmack's permission first.

:lol: I just read this....you should have went with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Douchebag wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I always believe what management tells me too.

Yep, reminds me of when Warner Bros bought Midway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:

What else would you expect Mitch to say?

If anything, I think the older high priced talent should keep their head on a spindle.

Jason will be fine, he's proven he can talk all sports, and brings the demographic numbers down, and builds a younger audience.

Laurence has the NBC5 gig going, so maybe he was given a head's up on this (as Mitch was his agent after Mitch left ESPN1000) - nothing wrong with increasing your outreach - and broadening your horizons.

I agree, the evening shows and weekend shows are most at risk. Oddly on the internet, they run Yahoo (Sporting News radio) right now during White Sox games. I'm sure that will end when CBS gets their shit together.

Profits over programming - never forget it - and it's all about branding CBS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:44 pm 

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
Laurence has the NBC5 gig going, so maybe he was given a head's up on this (as Mitch was his agent after Mitch left ESPN1000) - nothing wrong with increasing your outreach - and broadening your horizons.

Laurence needs a new agent. He's on one dying medium (radio), and expanding his outreach to another dying medium (network sports reporter). Not very good career advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:45 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I take no comfort in his statment. Hell, he might not even have a job when this shakes out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:47 pm 

I guess we'll see how real "There will be no changes" is when it's time for the next contract negotiations.

We really want to keep you Mully, but corporate really wants me to have the morning show from New York on here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
mac also essentially said he was still scared shitless about the change, despite what mitch says.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:11 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
mac also essentially said he was still scared shitless about the change, despite what mitch says.
Mac shouldn't be scared. He's one of two people at The Score good enough to get national airtime in other markets. Any changes will happen for him, not against him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

What else would you expect Mitch to say?

If anything, I think the older high priced talent should keep their head on a spindle.

Jason will be fine, he's proven he can talk all sports, and brings the demographic numbers down, and builds a younger audience.

I agree, the evening shows and weekend shows are most at risk. Oddly on the internet, they run Yahoo (Sporting News radio) right now during White Sox games. I'm sure that will end when CBS gets their shit together.

Profits over programming - never forget it - and it's all about branding CBS.

1.You might be right about the heads up to Larry from Mitch. Corporate might have told Mitch that 30 minute radio shows aren't enough to justify a full time position. Not to mention the other the many games that occupy his spot during a year. Mitch might have been told that any night time availability will go to a national show.

2. Jason and Drinky are both fine as long as they want to remain B&B producers I'm sure. It's just a question of how long they want to do that without advancing. Although at some point, if they get raises through the years (I assume that happens), the Score just might want to cut costs and hire kids out of college for the 25k starting salary to replace them. Maybe with less air time availablity for producers, there is no reason to keep the long tenured producers at higher salaries. I'm just trying to think like evil corporate America. This corporate practice is not just for radio.

3. If Mitch, in fact, went out of his way to go on the air with "There will be no changes" that is a tell tale sign that there will, most definitely, be changes to the Score. Management reading 101.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:
1. Like I said, it will effect local weeknights and weekends at the Score

2. Zimmerman has more leverage for guys like Larry and the weekend boys. My price or we'll just pump in the national show. Take it or leave it.

3. CBS execs might place friends or favorites in local affiliates for dayparts. Doesn't work here (See Salisbury). That doesn't mean they won't do it.

4. Mac won't be able to make fun of Phil Simms anymore. :(

on air talent will be directed by much stricter corporate management to push CBS products. I cannot wait for the Dan McNeil interview of Kat Demings to talk about the season premiere of Two Broke Girls

We will also have CBS TV people pushed on us as the new experts. Get ready for Ditka to talk nonsense three times per week.

I cannot wait for the Dan McNeil interview of Kat Demings to talk about the season premiere of Two Broke Girls, One Cup.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City

"Grab a chair Rusty, let's catch up"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

"Grab a chair Rusty, let's catch up"

I think he's doing just fine with his own podcast...Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Guess you forgot that Dahl used to call Mac Rusty.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
From Radio Info:

"Look for a new Boomer & Carton weekly show, that CBS will be (ahem) strongly urging affiliates to clear. (That would be Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton, morning team at CBS Radio’s WFAN, New York at 660)"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I had no idea you guys were all named Dan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next