It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
It may be the end of June, but ESPN has announced their broadcast team for the second "Monday Night Football" game of the upcoming NFL regular season. As a public service from SHARK, you've been warned well ahead of time.

While Chris Berman has called plenty of Major League Baseball games, along with occasional hosting duties on the network's "Baseball Tonight" in addition to what will soon be his 28th season as host of "Sunday NFL Countdown", the ESPN original since 1979 will actually call his first regular season NFL game for the "Worldwide Leader in Sports".

While the regular "Monday Night Football" crew of Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden & new sideline reporter Lisa Salters call the Bengals/Ravens' game in Baltimore, Berman & Trent Dilfer will call the second game of the opening weekend doubleheader that night. Chris & Trent have been commissioned by ESPN to call the Chargers/Raiders' game later that night, Monday, September 10th. Berman will host the season premiere of "Countdown" Sunday, September 9th from ESPN's Bristol, CT studios and then make the cross-country flight after the show to Oakland to call the game with the former Ravens' Super Bowl-winning QB turned ESPN analyst.

The team of Berman & Dilfer will also call a tune-up game for ESPN to prepare for their regular season debut in the booth. The guys will call the Cardinals/Titans' preseason game for the network on Thursday, August 23rd in Nashville.

Why do I bring this up, you ask? Since ESPN replaced ABC Sports as the home of "MNF" in 2006, the network has had an annual "MNF" doubleheader to end the first week of NFL regular season games. In '06, the threesome of Brad Nessler, Ron Jaworski & Dick Vermeil called the Chargers/Raiders' game. Then, ESPN Radio's morning guys Mike Greenberg & Mike Golic called the next 3 "MNF" second games from 2007-2009. "Da Coach" himself, Mike Ditka, joined Greenberg & Golic in the booth for Cardinals/49ers in '07, Denver Broncos/Raiders in '08 & Chargers/Raiders in '09. Brad Nessler, now the PBP of NFL Network's "Thursday Night Football", had called the last 2 nightcaps in '10 & '11 with Dilfer on ESPN. Nessler & Dilfer were in Kansas City to call the Chargers/Chiefs' game 2 years ago, as well as last year's finale to Week 1 between the Raiders & Broncos in Denver.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
You're aware your subject of this thread tells us all we needed to know? Trying to help prevent your carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:22 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:
You're aware your subject of this thread tells us all we needed to know? Trying to help prevent your carpal tunnel

What did you want me to call it? It is a first, even for the human "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Float" in Berman.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
This is worse than Nickelback playing the Detroit thanksgiving day halftime last year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:47 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
This is worse than Nickelback playing the Detroit thanksgiving day halftime last year.

Nickelback: "This Is How You Remind Me..." Not a chance! Go away!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I've never hated Chris Berman like the rest of the world does. If I'm doing network television for the first time and I have the accompanying jitters about the biggest gig of my life, I'm going to tell you not to walk in front of the fucking teleprompter while I'm reading it, too. So good for him finally getting to do a game.

I was surprised Berman didn't get the pxp job in 2006 when ESPN got Monday Night Football. Inasmuch as the new TV deal that gave them MNF took Primetime away from him, one would've thought he'd get to move up. He has good pipes and he's the kind of larger-than-life personage that would've fit on the program, whereas Mike Tirico just feels like a guy who got the job because it was his turn or something (ironic, considering my argument for Berman basically boils down to it being his turn).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Curious Hair wrote:
I've never hated Chris Berman like the rest of the world does. If I'm doing network television for the first time and I have the accompanying jitters about the biggest gig of my life, I'm going to tell you not to walk in front of the fucking teleprompter while I'm reading it, too. So good for him finally getting to do a game.

I was surprised Berman didn't get the pxp job in 2006 when ESPN got Monday Night Football. Inasmuch as the new TV deal that gave them MNF took Primetime away from him, one would've thought he'd get to move up. He has good pipes and he's the kind of larger-than-life personage that would've fit on the program, whereas Mike Tirico just feels like a guy who got the job because it was his turn or something (ironic, considering my argument for Berman basically boils down to it being his turn).

The yelling and perceived jackass-ness doesn't bug me; it's the inability to spit out a coherent thought that pisses me off... too old, too Chet-Coppock-y

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:08 pm 

bothers me more that trent dilfer gets to do this too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I thouht this was the designated green
brrg and golic games for the first couple games of the year. Dare I hope they fell out of favo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:00 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Here's what we've all been waiting for, as schticky blowhard Chris Berman is again taken to task by schticky blowhard Drew Magary.

http://deadspin.com/5921709/heres-why-c ... a-reminder

Quote:
Holy shit, I'd rather have a razor blade jammed into my asshole than listen to that. Berman is intolerable even as studio host, even when he's on the mere fringes of a sporting event. Every time Tirico throws to Berman for a halftime preview during MNF, I tear both labrums reaching for the mute button. Now he's gonna throw his gunt around and commandeer the booth for a whole game? Christ, that's the worst.

Remember: U.S. Open Berman is an UNDERSTATED Berman. But working an NFL game, Berman will consider himself on his home turf. He'll feel no need to be modest at all. He'll grab the spotlight and swallow it whole, along with an entire bottle of hydrocodone. Berman truly believes he's an NFL institution, and that means you're going to spend the whole evening being reminded of it. He's gonna make it painfully aware to you that he's doing a game for the very first time, at long last. He's gonna say THEHHHHHH RAYDEEZZZZZZ 900 times. He's gonna suck harder than Leather did. Fuck you, ESPN. You're heartless.

Now I hope he does well just to spite Magary and his staler-than-stale "grah grah fuckin' fuckin' braaaaaap" act.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Berman's act is old and stale. He was terrible on the US Open. I hope he doesnt try to make the game a 3 hour fastest three minutes in television (which is also old and stale). Too much schtick that isnt funny hearing it over and over for 30 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Curious Hair wrote:
I've never hated Chris Berman like the rest of the world does.

That's because NFL Live is basically SportsCenter on steroids, so all the FUM-BUUUHHLLL and RAIIIIIIDEHZ and goofy nicknames--while tiresome--at least fit the general aesthetic. Ditto the Home Run Derby, which is pure spectacle. I have no idea what he'll be like as a pxp guy, but I anticipate it'll be pretty horrific.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:31 pm 

hootmon wrote:
I thouht this was the designated green
brrg and golic games for the first couple games of the year. Dare I hope they fell out of favo

It was the "Mike & Mike" special for three straight years as I typed at the beginning of this post.