It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Of course, just as I meekly defend Deadspin, Tom Scocca (who I generally think is a decent writer) squats over his laptop and pinches out a steaming pile of half-digested strawmen that prove the failures of "The Basketball Hero Industry." The irony of Deadspin is that they're so concerned with being edgy and meta-countercultural that they end up peddling the same talking points as the MSM; Scocca's article is built on the same contrarian fallacy-mongering that Bernstein uses to pre-excuse LeBron's failures.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 pm 

And now, in the surest evidence yet that the print-media industry is in its death throes, Chuck Klosterman is taking over the "Ethicist" column at the NYT. Can't wait for columns acknowledging that rape and murder are wrong, but also wondering...what if they're not wrong? Rape, by the way, is totally the Pavement of felonies.

/head explodes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Dave In Champaign wrote:
And now, in the surest evidence yet that the print-media industry is in its death throes, Chuck Klosterman is taking over the "Ethicist" column at the NYT. Can't wait for columns acknowledging that rape and murder are wrong, but also wondering...what if they're not wrong?

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2011/05/bill ... tland.html

Quote:
His treatment of Billy Joel is a perfect example. In Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, he oversees a rhetorical tennis match between the false binary that "Billy Joel Is Terrible" and "Billy Joel Is Secretly Great" by kicking around the man's career and eventually making the same evaluations everyone else already has: Billy Joel is a pretty good piano player who writes pretty good (and some great) pop songs about being in love, and usually once an album has a lyrically superior and commercially unviable song like "Vienna." The important points here are that:

1. That last sentence isn't long enough to count as an article or book chapter, and:
2. Writing that single sentence doesn't take you through the intellectual and emotional gravity well at the center of the universe, Chuck Klosterman.

Simmons goes through this same process with almost everything, sometimes spending a whole column on a strident criticism, then another walking it back too far, then reaching a synthesis as if it occasioned some degree of struggle. It's "Baby's First Hegelian Dialectic," only the logical building blocks are huge and can't really fit in his tiny hands. (Worse, like Klosterman, his analysis of sporting events now largely constitutes analyzing how he might come to analyze the sporting events later, and how he has to think about how he will reevaluate the hypothetical in light of outcomes that haven't even happened.)

Boom, bitch.

A year later, Grantland turned out being...kinda not that bad, actually!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:36 pm 

Heh. That Destructo post was a thing.

I still think 70% of Grantland's non-Pierce content is trash, but that's actually much better than I expected.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Dave In Champaign wrote:

I still think 70% of Grantland's non-Pierce content is trash, but that's actually much better than I expected.

And 100% of its Pierce content. Not a fan at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:53 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

And 100% of its Pierce content. Not a fan at all.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone that. He's a major-league blowhard and his Grantland stuff takes way too many cues from his politics blog at Esquire. I wish Simmons would give him more to do; his longform pieces are much better than the breezy bloggy stuff he does at Grantland.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
Drew Magary is the guy I can't stand.

Hey, you fuckin' fucks. Everyone thinks they're a special fuckin' snowflake and they're fuckin' not, bunch of sloppy fuckin' assholes. ANGRY ABOUT THINGS. College escapades. The birth of my son and the poignant miracle of life. There, everything Magary's ever written.

Yeah Magary's maybe the one guy whose gimmick I'd say I'm more sick of than those of Simmons and Gladwell. And I say that as someone who absolutely loved the first two years of Kissing Suzy.

Also, The Classical isn't just Shoals and the best contributions so far haven't come from him IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:13 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
I think part of the problem is that in this era of writing, so much content has to be churned out that it's tough to stay likable. Plus, the better writers get 1.) imitators, who make you want to turn against the original, and 2.) sycophants, who sometimes encourage the worst excesses of the originals. The number of sports writing guys who I've read for 2+ years and still like as much as when I started is very small.

I remain tentatively pro-Simmons. Grantland is a bold effort, even if the execution is very often lacking, and even if the website often feels like a jobs program for Simmons's buddies. He'd be better if he wrote less, and if he dropped the mailbags, which bring out his bad side.

the market is oversaturated and the advent of blogging has drained true sportswriting of its merits. most of what i read on yahoo! or even reputable sports sites are just awful.

as truman capote put it...it's not writing, it's typing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
http://www.theonion.com/articles/bill-s ... /?ref=auto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:51 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/bill-simmons-releases-2000page-book-exploring-how,28666/?ref=auto

The whole thing is spot-on, but the vicious subtlety of this:

Quote:
In his 14-page introduction to Wit, Brilliance, Insight, Simmons, pop culture critic Chuck Klosterman poses the question of whether Simmons is brilliant because of his decision to embrace the entirety of television while writing for people who like to watch sports on television or, indeed, in spite of it.

is just brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:09 pm 

Watching women's handball for the very first time and then immediately suggesting ways to improve it is the most Simmons thing ever.