It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
For the last couple of seasons, he's been the smooth-sounding voice of ESPN's "Sunday Night Baseball", as well as one of the voices of the network's coverage of both NBA & NCAA Basketball. Speaking of basketball, he's the former Oklahoma State guard that has been an analyst, both in the Bristol, CT studio & courtside analyzing actual college basketball games for the ESPN family of networks, as well as host of a national sports talk radio show on ESPN Radio in the afternoon at the same time "Carmen, Jurko & Harry" air locally on ESPN Radio 1000 here. Now, could the "Worldwide Leader" be on the verge of losing "SNB" PBP voice Dan Shulman as well as NCAA Basketball Analyst/ESPN Radio host Doug Gottlieb? According to TheBigLead.com, the answers might be yes.

In the case of Shulman, his contract is up later this year, and needless to say, he's already in high demand by FOX Sports, as well as NBC Sports. In the case of NBC, their supposed interest in Shulman hinges on whether the "Peacock" makes a bid to get back into the MLB business. The current MLB TV deal is set to expire next year, but a new deal could be signed as soon as this summer. Should NBC swing & miss, Shulman could be on FOX's radar instead.

Should FOX make a bid for Shulman, he could fit right in broadcasting MLB, complete with broadcasting postseason games and be the #2 PBP voice overall behind Joe Buck. FOX does have Pac-12 Basketball games, but that's the only hoops they have on their network. Surely a tough call for Shulman, an ESPN/ABC voice since 2001.

In the case of Gottlieb, it could be an offer too good to pass up. TheBigLead reports that Gottlieb, an ESPN employee since 2003, has a multi-platform offer on the table from CBS Sports and will likely make his decision by the end of this month. The offer includes analyzing NCAA Basketball games during the regular season, including the NCAA Tournament for which CBS Sports has a huge stake. It would also include hosting his own sports talk show on the new CBS Sports Radio Network, set to launch in January, as well as a new TV show on CBS Sports Network. Gottlieb would be based out of Southern California, not far from where he grew up in Orange County.

As far as Gottlieb is concerned, it could be a case of not being able to advance any further than where he is now at ESPN. For starters, the ESPN Radio shows that air before his, "Mike & Mike in the Morning", "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" & "The Scott Van Pelt Show" have signed long-term extensions and aren't about to move out of the way. Also, even though we continue to see Dick Vitale all over ESPN/ABC analyzing NCAA Basketball, Jay Bilas is technically the network's lead NCAA Analyst. Last but not least, when there was an opening on ESPN's "College GameDay" during basketball season, the gig went to Jalen Rose instead. Gottlieb didn't respond to E-mails seeking comment, but stay tuned.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Shulman is the goods. He's in my top 5.

1. Michaels
2. Marv Albert
3. Harlan
4. Shulman
5. Buck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Dan Shulman on NBC baseball would be terrific. I'm all for such a situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Dan Shulman on NBC baseball would be terrific. I'm all for such a situation.

Let's see if NBC Sports is even in the $$$$ for MLB when their TV rights are up for bid.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: ------
spmack wrote:

1. Michaels
2. Marv Albert
3. Harlan
4. Shulman
5. Buck
1,9765. Chip Caray

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Phil McCracken wrote:
spmack wrote:

1. Michaels
2. Marv Albert
3. Harlan
4. Shulman
5. Buck
1,9765. Chip Caray

Never seen that number before.

Doug Gottleib sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:23 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
spmack wrote:

1. Michaels
2. Marv Albert
3. Harlan
4. Shulman
5. Buck
1,9765. Chip Caray

Never seen that number before.

Doug Gottleib sucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
The old Sunday Night Baseball radio broadcasts with Shulman and Dave "Unoriginal Nickname aka Soup" Campbell were excellent. Campbell is te he perfect old crotchety baseball guy whose acerbic wit would be LOL if paired with Ed Farmer. I don't know why Campbell got jettisoned, but the SNB broadcasts fell off once they got rid of him and got Bobby Valentine and later Terry Francona on the SNB television broadcasts. Color commentators can make a huge difference for that.

As for Shulman, yeah, he's that good. I reckon he could get a baseball PBP gig real easy like his predecessor Gary Thorne did.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:45 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
The old Sunday Night Baseball radio broadcasts with Shulman and Dave "Unoriginal Nickname aka Soup" Campbell were excellent. Campbell is te he perfect old crotchety baseball guy whose acerbic wit would be LOL if paired with Ed Farmer. I don't know why Campbell got jettisoned, but the SNB broadcasts fell off once they got rid of him and got Bobby Valentine and later Terry Francona on the SNB television broadcasts. Color commentators can make a huge difference for that.

As for Shulman, yeah, he's that good. I reckon he could get a baseball PBP gig real easy like his predecessor Gary Thorne did.

I love me some Dave Campbell. He is like a really rich man's Tim McCarver

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Hey SHARK do you remember some of the old ESPN day-game broadcasts when they'd have Gary Thorne, Steve Stone, and somebody else in the booth? That was excellent stuff there, and you realized you'd have to enjoy it because all of the parties involved were destined to get fulltime baseball gigs within a year or two, which they all did.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:49 am 

sinicalypse wrote:

I'm not sure why Dave "Soup" Campbell left ESPN Radio either, unless his contract wasn't renewed. He worked the July 4th Cubs/Braves' game with Len Kasper on WGN and sounded pretty good.

As for the TV side, Bobby Valentine was so smug & arrogant last year when he, Orel Hershiser & Dan Shulman replaced Jon Miller & Joe Morgan on ESPN. In interviews I've heard since Valentine replaced Terry Francona in the Red Sox dugout, he sounded just as smug and full of himself since leaving Bristol, CT.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
sinicalypse wrote:

Shulman was a long time Blue Jays guy, correct?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:12 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

Shulman was a long time Blue Jays guy, correct?

Yes. Here's Shulman's Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Shulman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:58 pm 

While it's unclear if Dan Shulman might leave ESPN/ABC, SportsByBrooks reports that Doug Gottlieb is indeed leaving the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" for CBS Sports starting this fall.

At the same time, ESPN has hired ex-Tennessee & UW-Milwaukee head coach Bruce Pearl and former Virginia Tech head coach Seth Greenberg as the newest analysts on the "Worldwide Leader's" NCAA Basketball roster. Pearl, Greenberg and onetime former Bull Jalen Rose will join the Bristol, CT-based studio team, along with working a handful of games this upcoming season and talking NCAA hoops on ESPN's many platforms including ESPN Radio & ESPN.com on a regular basis. Rose & Pearl will also join host Rece Davis along with returning analysts Richard "Digger" Phelps & Jay Bilas for the basketball version of "College GameDay" Saturday mornings this winter.