It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:05 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Have you ditched the "traditional" TV services in favor of some sort of streaming? I'm thinking about it. I've looked into Roku, Hulu, and Netflix a little bit so far.

Does it only run through one TV? Would you need multiple boxes for more than one TV?

What is your setup and what is your average cost? Pros? Cons?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I have Netflix and it runs on a number of devices through my one account. You do need a Netflix enabled device (TV/DVD/Game Console/Phone/etc) for each tv. It's about $9/month.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 am 

Killer V wrote:
Have you ditched the "traditional" TV services in favor of some sort of streaming? I'm thinking about it. I've looked into Roku, Hulu, and Netflix a little bit so far.

Does it only run through one TV? Would you need multiple boxes for more than one TV?

I've got a Roku, and there is only two things keeping me from cutting the chord completely.

1. Local TV Sports Blackouts (If teams sold their own streaming subscriptions, I would sign up in a heartbeat. The League Passes are great, but if I can't watch my home team, they really lose their appeal to me. I would be willing to pay $100/season or something like that to watch my home team.)

2. HBO (They really need to offer their own subscribtions via HBO GO. I would gladly pay up to $25/month if this was offered)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:41 am 

You don't really save any money getting rid of cable unless you really cut out what you watch. Hulu Plus and Netflix would be a must have, and that's $20 a month. You still need internet, which will cost more without being bundled with television. The NFL package is unusable given that it's $350 a year(as of last year) and even MLB + NBA is going to cost you over $200 a year and that is going to go up as time goes on. You lose all the shows on HBO because you need an HBO subscription and you have to wait for them to be on blu-ray(add another $12 a month for Netflix delivery because HBO shows don't go on streaming).

For all that, you lose the convenience of a "turn it on and it works" setup.

I guess it would work for someone who doesn't really watch television, but even they would be better off buying the cheapest package that gives them basic channels.

In reality, I don't see cable television ever going away. It's not really worth your time to save $10 a month and have to jump through hoops to watch things you want.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
immessedup17 wrote:
For the non-sports fan, cable is 100% unneeded. I've avoided cable in the 7 weeks I've been at the new place...catching Cubs games out or on the radio. I'm considering one of those over-the-air HDTV antennas...but I'll still miss half the baseball, basketball, and hockey games...still wouldn't make me happy. Also...no MNF. So I'll probably cave.

The crappy part is that the cable company at my apartment charges like Comcast, but doesn't have the quality Comcast does...

So we'll see...

#fasttrack
#culturalmecca

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
#theendofyourhappinessisinsight

:lol:

But I still have cable

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:30 am 

immessedup17 wrote:

I figure I'll have to get it ASAP. The early arrival of Monsieurs Jackson and Vitters have hastened this...I'll dislike missing any of the games now. And again...NFL. I'm going to review the packages with my leasing office and see what works.

Maybe prices are negotiable, who knows?

Do you have an option for satellite over whatever shitty cable contract the building has? I know that was the case when I lived in Schaumburg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:52 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
I've never had satellite...and the first-hand experiences I've heard about are never all positive. I'm sure it is better than it used to be when it comes to weather...but having to worry about TV quality when it storms would be annoying.

I just switched to satellite back in March when I moved to Gurnee. I love it. Outages have been negligible...you can blast the dish with cooking spray to keep the snow from sticking to it. I get a little interference when the weather is really bad, but it's not enough to really bother me...I had issues with really bad weather when I had Scamcast, too.

All they need to be able to install it is to point the dish in a Southwest direction.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 am 

Maybe you two missed the essence of my question...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 am 

Killer V wrote:

You would need 1 box for each TV.

The setup and cost is very easy.

You can basically get most shows out there today on Netflix & Hulu, and those will each run you about $8 or $9 a month. Any other shows you might miss can be found online on most Network's websites.

If you want to watch local sports, you're fucked.

Last edited by Douchebag on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:57 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Killer V wrote:
Maybe you two missed the essence of my question...

No, it was answered very quickly.

Sports fans = keep cable / satellite
Non-sports fans = possible to get by without cable satellite, costs fluctuate widely depending on what you watch

Really? Not so much. There seems to be a lot of options out there. Basically, one was given.

I expect threads to get side-tracked here, but find it hilarious that you turned it into the exact opposite of what I asked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 am 

Maybe, just maybe, I was looking for people currently using some of the available techniques, to get a user's opinion, and what some of the advantages and disadvantages are.

Unlike you apparently, I don't tend to make decisions on products based solely on the product's propoganda. You see, in advertising, products tend to not emphasize their short-comings.

You are an advertiser's dream!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
just got an internet tv, 55" inch panasonic plasma. Came with the MLB.tv app built in, which I already have a subscription to (so I'm missing live Cubs games but that's not a big deal) and even being out in the sticks I get all major chicago stations on antenna, so I'll get all Bears games in HD for free. My internet is not connected to my Dish Network stuff so I could cut the cord completely. TV also came with a Hulu Plus app and a Netflix app. Really thinking about going without cable/sat. even though I do love Dish. Depends on what price it costs to re-up when the contract is up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:15 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Who better qualified to answer this than me? I am in the exact position you're considering moving to.

Are you dull?

And you're looking to pay for TV now.

While I do appreciate your response, I need more input than yours because, well, you're you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:16 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
just got an internet tv, 55" inch panasonic plasma. Came with the MLB.tv app built in, which I already have a subscription to (so I'm missing live Cubs games but that's not a big deal)

Are the replays on these apps blacked out? I always assumed they were.

If not, when are the replays available for viewing?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:18 pm 

the replay is usually available an hour after the game ends. Sometimes though it's available while the game is going on, a few innnings behind. There's a way to choose an IP from another state but I haven't explored it. Too complicated for me. Yes, Bulls/Cubs/Sox are balcked out. But I rarely watch games live anymore due to work. Totally worth it in my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:56 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Killer V wrote:

And you're looking to pay for TV now.

While I do appreciate your response, I need more input than yours because, well, you're you.

Well fuck off then. I answered everything you needed answered. You're just pissy because one of your board princes didn't answer it?

I experimented with having no cable, and as a sports fan, I found it not to be worth it.

Go ahead and try it yourself then. Sorry I attempted to be helpful.

Yes. Exactly. Instead of my board princes, I got the board's princess.

Your response was noted & acknowledged. I would like other perspectives too.

No need to get your tiara in a bunch because some guy you've never met doesn't value your opinion as highly as you deem it to deserve.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:58 pm 

:lol: Killer V dominating this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
We have the roku hooked up upstairs and antenna/converter box hooked up to the downstairs. Haven't had cable in about 3 years and don't miss it. Go out/to buddy's house if there is cable sports I want to see (He has NFL ticket so my football viewing is covered :D ) Also there are websites where you can watch just about any sports you want to see. Netflix/ Amazon on demand for anything else. I can wait to watch the "must see new series". Reading more now than I ever have without the idiot box.....and the kids don't miss it. They just watch PBS/kids movies on the laptop or Roku. It is disturbing to watch them transfixed by commercials when they are watching regular TV somewhere else. Our son will come home from grandma's telling us about the Pillow Pet he has to have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:07 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
It isn't about the value of an opinion at all, or at least it shouldn't be. You asked a question. It was answered.

It doesn't look like you have tens of members coming in trying to give you their advice or experiences, does it? It isn't like I'm preventing anyone from helping you out.

Wait. So are you mad that I didn't accept your answer as the word handed down from on high or that I found it funny that you turned the thread into the exact opposite of which it started (I criticized you for neither by the way)? I also never accused you of preventing others from posting, so I'm not sure where that came from.

You started the name calling and continued the condescension which drips from all of your posts, including pretty much all of them here, and seems to be the basis for your serious case of pouty-pants.

Then again, maybe it just slipped my mind and I'm dull.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Also there are websites where you can watch just about any sports you want to see.

Yes, but streaming websites are usually poor quality compared to cable TV.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 pm 

By the way, thanks to EVERYONE for your responses. It seems like a little more trouble than it's worth, and the sports issue is a real deal breaker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 pm 

I would also like to add that HDTVs are overrated because you need an HD cable service to make proper use of them. Antenna TV is not a bad idea, but it's a lot of work to mount an antenna in your attic or on your roof. Also DVRs with live pause are great for skipping commercials and for taping the game or pausing the game while you do something else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Mini Ditka wrote:
I would also like to add that HDTVs are overrated because you need an HD cable service to make proper use of them.

Yeah, because HD quality programming is so hard to come by.

And when is Hollywood gonna catch on and start giving us some HD movies?

Video games...those would be fun in HD.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Mini Ditka wrote:
I would also like to add that HDTVs are overrated because you need an HD cable service to make proper use of them. Antenna TV is not a bad idea, but it's a lot of work to mount an antenna in your attic or on your roof. Also DVRs with live pause are great for skipping commercials and for taping the game or pausing the game while you do something else.

Im 1 of these least mechanically inclined people on here and it probably took me 10 minutes to put our antenna up. Now if you're talking a monster old school antenna, then yes it's a lot of work.

And of course if you have an Hd tv and cable you're going to opt for the hd cable package. Isn't that a given? Why the hell else would you have an HDTV?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:36 am 

Mini Ditka wrote:
I would also like to add that HDTVs are overrated because you need an HD cable service to make proper use of them.
Indoor plumbing is overrated because you need water pipes to make proper use of them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:21 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:
Indoor plumbing is overrated because you need water pipes to make proper use of them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 am 

if you're a sports fan (and why would you be listening to me if you wereen't) I've got something you've just gotta have: HD.

Seriously? Only if you've a) never seen true HD or b) if you're blind would you state that HD is overrated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 pm 

You need a rooftop antenna if you have problems getting signals in your house and/or you have to hook up multiple TVs.

One of the main reasons that HDTVs are overrated is because they are overpriced and then not worth much when you try to resell. Clearly they are better in most visual aspects. However, you have to splurge that extra money for HD cable service when honestly if you don't splurge for the extra money the 10-year-old standard def TV is going to make the standard def cable look just as good and in some cases better. Gaming is certainly a reason to get one, but you're still looking at a serious investment of money for games and systems. As far as Blu-Ray goes those are more expensive than all the other discs and the least repairable when scratched. Plus the Blu-Ray players are expensive.

Probably the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that a 30 inch TV is not the same size anymore. With the wider TV you need a bigger TV to make the image in the center of the screen equal to a square TV of the same size.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:19 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
One of the main reasons that HDTVs are overrated is because they are overpriced and then not worth much when you try to resell.
:lol: Do you often resell your televisions?
Mini Ditka wrote:
However, you have to splurge that extra money for HD cable service when honestly if you don't splurge for the extra money the 10-year-old standard def TV is going to make the standard def cable look just as good and in some cases better.
Why would anyone ever buy a HDTV and not get HDTV? :lol: Wouldn't that be like buying a video game system and not buying any games for it?
Mini Ditka wrote:
Gaming is certainly a reason to get one, but you're still looking at a serious investment of money for games and systems. As far as Blu-Ray goes those are more expensive than all the other discs and the least repairable when scratched. Plus the Blu-Ray players are expensive.
So the problem with this product is that it costs money?