It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Killer V wrote:
By the way, thanks to EVERYONE for your responses. It seems like a little more trouble than it's worth, and the sports issue is a real deal breaker.
So IMU did answer your question then. :drunken:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:05 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
I have all the answers on this board, except how to raise children, keep your wife happy, or make Boilermaker Rick not hate me.
I don't hate you, just your posts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:
One of the main reasons that HDTVs are overrated is because they are overpriced and then not worth much when you try to resell.
:lol: Do you often resell your televisions?
Mini Ditka wrote:
However, you have to splurge that extra money for HD cable service when honestly if you don't splurge for the extra money the 10-year-old standard def TV is going to make the standard def cable look just as good and in some cases better.
Why would anyone ever buy a HDTV and not get HDTV? :lol: Wouldn't that be like buying a video game system and not buying any games for it?
Mini Ditka wrote:
Gaming is certainly a reason to get one, but you're still looking at a serious investment of money for games and systems. As far as Blu-Ray goes those are more expensive than all the other discs and the least repairable when scratched. Plus the Blu-Ray players are expensive.
So the problem with this product is that it costs money?

I'm not necessarily going to sell my TV, but I don't want to feel like it's worth half the money because I opened the box.

People are dumb when it comes to HDTV. Some people thought they needed a converter box for their HDTVs. Plus if you have cable the HD stream hogs all your bandwidth. For example some DVRs can record 4 SD streams, but only 2 HD streams.

Yes, the problem is money. You waste money on the expensive TV that is smaller from top to bottom than the square one you could get for free. You pay on average $300 to $500 in additional cable costs per year to satisfy your HD needs. Then, you have to splurge on all the extra equipment (consoles and Blu-Ray players and discs) and the thing is probably not going to last more than 5 to 10 years when you'll be ready to blow another $500. If you throw in all the time you spend watching the thing you'll realize you've blown thousands of dollars.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Do you also realize that HD is our national television standard now?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
Killer V wrote:
Do you also realize that HD is our national television standard now?

Fucking Obama...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:42 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:
I'm not necessarily going to sell my TV, but I don't want to feel like it's worth half the money because I opened the box.

People are dumb when it comes to HDTV. Some people thought they needed a converter box for their HDTVs. Plus if you have cable the HD stream hogs all your bandwidth. For example some DVRs can record 4 SD streams, but only 2 HD streams.

Yes, the problem is money. You waste money on the expensive TV that is smaller from top to bottom than the square one you could get for free. You pay on average $300 to $500 in additional cable costs per year to satisfy your HD needs. Then, you have to splurge on all the extra equipment (consoles and Blu-Ray players and discs) and the thing is probably not going to last more than 5 to 10 years when you'll be ready to blow another $500. If you throw in all the time you spend watching the thing you'll realize you've blown thousands of dollars.

I bought my TV for $800, about 4 years ago? I'm fairly sure I could still sell it for $400 minimum even now. If it works, someone will always buy it.

You're extremely wrong on your second...paragraph? You can get HD without cable. A one time purchase of $30-$40 and you have HD on all local channels. And no...in 2012, HD does not hog bandwidth. I have the slowest cable internet possible at 5MB / 1MB, and I have no video issues whatsoever. And that is 1080p streaming...most HDTV is 720p.

Damn Ditka...have you never had a modern TV setup? It sounds like you don't understand how it works. I mean...before HD people could still replace TV's every 5-10 years. TV's were less reliable than they are now.

I do realize that HD is over the air, but you don't have any DVR capabilities without cable. So either you watch free HDTV like the peasants of the world or you pony up for the DVR and skip the commercials. It does take up bandwidth with UVerse. I can get 4 SD streams or 2 HD streams. So with HD only 2 TVs in the house could work and maybe just one if a 2nd program was being recorded.

I think you're wrong about the TVs. I think those LCD TVs are not made to last very long as compared to TVs that are 10 to 20 years old. TVs did last longer, because there are TVs from the 60s that made it on the curb when the DTV transition took place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:00 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:
I do realize that HD is over the air, but you don't have any DVR capabilities without cable. So either you watch free HDTV like the peasants of the world or you pony up for the DVR and skip the commercials. It does take up bandwidth with UVerse. I can get 4 SD streams or 2 HD streams. So with HD only 2 TVs in the house could work and maybe just one if a 2nd program was being recorded.

I think you're wrong about the TVs. I think those LCD TVs are not made to last very long as compared to TVs that are 10 to 20 years old. TVs did last longer, because there are TVs from the 60s that made it on the curb when the DTV transition took place.

1. Yes you can have a DVR capabilities without cable. There are many standalone options.

2. Your UVerse blows, or you're lying. Again, my internet is rated slower than all non-DSL UVerse packages, and I have zero issues.

3. My mom had one of those ancient cabinet televisions from whenever...the quality has sucked the entire time I've been alive. While it never went "out out", it had ghosting issues constantly...even from VCR / DVD sources. If you purchase a LCD TV from a reputable manufacturer, the life of the TV will last you a good while. The average user will replace them with the newer hot technology way before the TV stops working.

DVR capabilities are sketchy at best without cable. You may be able to record a show, but you probably can't rewind and fast forward in real time. You're also looking at $200 or $300 for a DVR Recorder. You have to find a DVR Recorder that is HD-based and has a digital tuner. Plus if you have interference issues you have to mount a rooftop antenna.

Yes, the UVerse thing is 100 percent correct. They run all their stuff off the phone lines to one router, so the bandwidth is limited.

The other thing is that a newer TV is going to cost you a couple hundred bucks to fix if it's broke, so you're almost better of buying a new one when it breaks down.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
:lol: :lol: What took me so long to read this thread...this was excellent.

Only on the CSFMB can a conversation about cable turn into a pissing match.

Good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
IMU, what exactly did you mess up? I always wondered why you used that name. Maybe:

1) you slept with your neighbor's wife, and they got divorced.

2) you forgot mom's birthday.

3) you got caught touching yourself at work.

4) you broke wind on a first date.

5) you quit your job to join the webio team.

Please help me here. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
hah indeed. I missed that. Everyone always says IMU, so I read it as "I messed up". In that case, aren't we all I'mMU? :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Which sport?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Mini Ditka wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

1. Yes you can have a DVR capabilities without cable. There are many standalone options.

2. Your UVerse blows, or you're lying. Again, my internet is rated slower than all non-DSL UVerse packages, and I have zero issues.

3. My mom had one of those ancient cabinet televisions from whenever...the quality has sucked the entire time I've been alive. While it never went "out out", it had ghosting issues constantly...even from VCR / DVD sources. If you purchase a LCD TV from a reputable manufacturer, the life of the TV will last you a good while. The average user will replace them with the newer hot technology way before the TV stops working.

DVR capabilities are sketchy at best without cable. You may be able to record a show, but you probably can't rewind and fast forward in real time. You're also looking at $200 or $300 for a DVR Recorder. You have to find a DVR Recorder that is HD-based and has a digital tuner. Plus if you have interference issues you have to mount a rooftop antenna.

Yes, the UVerse thing is 100 percent correct. They run all their stuff off the phone lines to one router, so the bandwidth is limited.

The other thing is that a newer TV is going to cost you a couple hundred bucks to fix if it's broke, so you're almost better of buying a new one when it breaks down.

if you're really concerned about getting a TV on the cheap, I bought a 50" plasma for $230 off of craigslist. Still in great working condition three years later. DLP's, you can get a 60" DLP for under $300. DLP's pretty much last forever because it's just a series of lights and mirrors. Every once in a while you replace a bulb. You're living under a rock, my friend.

Sports in HD with no DVR > sports not in HD but with a DVR.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:22 am 

No one wants to buy those 100 pound monstrosity Standard Definition TV's, Mini Ditka. I would bet you wouldn't even get many responses if you were giving one away for free. They have no re-sale value. You would probably have to pay someone to take it away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:49 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
No one wants to buy those 100 pound monstrosity Standard Definition TV's, Mini Ditka. I would bet you wouldn't even get many responses if you were giving one away for free. They have no re-sale value. You would probably have to pay someone to take it away.

A 100 lb older TV is actually pretty light compared to some of the old beasts out there. The newer ones before flat screens were not quite as heavy as some of the real dinosaurs. There was one I moved with my brother-in-law that was like moving a casket. It had four handles on the sides. It was 40 inch Mistubishi. But measuring from top to bottom that would be the same as a 50 something inch flat screen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Mini Ditka wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

A 100 lb older TV is actually pretty light compared to some of the old beasts out there. The newer ones before flat screens were not quite as heavy as some of the real dinosaurs. There was one I moved with my brother-in-law that was like moving a casket. It had four handles on the sides. It was 40 inch Mistubishi. But measuring from top to bottom that would be the same as a 50 something inch flat screen.

40" LCD, $279 new in the box at Worst Buy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:28 pm 

A 40 inch new TV has the same height as a 32 inch old TV. I have a TV that is a litter smaller than 30 inches from 2000 that is maybe 60 or 70 lbs. I can get a similar TV for free or $1, whereas it'd be almost $300 to get HD.

IMMU's point is well taken that there were some massive beasts out there. The pre-flat panel flat screens were very heavy and the triniton TVs also weigh a ton.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:31 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
A 40 inch new TV has the same height as a 32 inch old TV. I have a TV that is a litter smaller than 30 inches from 2000 that is maybe 60 or 70 lbs. I can get a similar TV for free or $1, whereas it'd be almost $300 to get HD.

IMMU's point is well taken that there were some massive beasts out there. The pre-flat panel flat screens were very heavy and the triniton TVs also weigh a ton.

What is your obsession with height?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:56 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

What is your obsession with height?

For example in terms of computer monitors I don't care for a wider screen. I have no use for the extra dimensions unless I'm watching a movie.