It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Had a seminar downtown today that ended at one so snuck out the rest of the day and took the drive out to George Dunne. Haven't been there in at least 5 years. The course is still great! Shot my round of the summer, an 83! And only 2 mulligans all day. PLayed from the whites and didn't take my driver out of the bag all day. Hit 10/14 fairways with my 3wood. Birdied the toughest hole on the course, #6 with an up and down from a bunker 100 yards out!

My short game and putting saved my ass on the back where I one-putted 6 holes.

After 2 months of struggling to reinvent my swing and working my ass off at the range and on the course it feels great to finally be hitting the ball well. Two months ago I shot a 112, come a long way since then. Only sucks that the season is ending soon. :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:07 am 

Anyone ever played any of these courses and if so, what do you think of them?

Settlers Hill
Glendale Lakes
Tamarak
Maple Meadows
Ruffled Feathers
Klein Creek
Cog Hill (not Dubsdread, the cheaper tracks)
St. Andrews

Trying to find a place to play tomorrow and some of those pop up on Golfnow with deals.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
shakes wrote:
Anyone ever played any of these courses and if so, what do you think of them?

Settlers Hill
Glendale Lakes
Tamarak
Maple Meadows
Ruffled Feathers
Klein Creek
Cog Hill (not Dubsdread, the cheaper tracks)
St. Andrews

Trying to find a place to play tomorrow and some of those pop up on Golfnow with deals.

Settler's Hill has a nice layout, but the course is often in poor shape. It starts off with four easy holes, and gets progressively more difficult. There are two par threes where the tee box is 50 feet above the green. Hole #11 is a bitch.

Glendale Lakes - I haven't played there in years, but I remember water just about everywhere.

Tamarack - I played there once. Water everywhere.

Klein Creek - Very nice course. Tough, but fair. Tight fairways due to the houses everywhere. Nice clubhouse for dinner and drinks afterwards.

St. Andrew's - 2 18 hole courses that are always in very good condition. Tough greens. Very fast, and lots of undulations and tiers. Long par 3s on one of the courses.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:45 am 
Lots of water on Glendale. Looked in good condition when I drove past about an hour ago. Lol.

Anybody ever played Eaglewood? Playing there later on this afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:57 am 

Baby McNown wrote:
Lots of water on Glendale. Looked in good condition when I drove past about an hour ago. Lol.

That's the old Nordic Hills. I haven't played there since they renovated the course a few years back. One of my golf buddies used to play there often, and he really liked it.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:56 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:

I played a golf outing at eaglewood resort a month ago, it was in awful shape. The greens were as thick as the rough and some of them were so beat up you couldn't even putt in parts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:06 pm 

I found a deal on Golfnow at Prairie Landing for $60 so I snatched it up, been wanting to play that course for a couple months now.

Also, a buddy of mine offered me a free ticket to the last day of the Ryder Cup so fuck yea!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:57 pm 
Wow. ok...

Very nice layout and look to it. But..... the condition of the course was absolutely awful. For the most part every green had areas of that were totally dirt/sand. 2 of the last 3 holes didn't even have greens. Just a circle painted around a big ass cup on the fairway just before the green. We were told that's cause the greens had been resodded. If they had been re-sodded, then the sod must have come from the Chicago Park District.

That being said, shot the round of my life. Walking up to the 16th tee I needed bird bird eagle (ok that would have been tough) to break 80. Ended up 86 after I said "fuck it" when the sub 80 score was no longer in reach (amazing how fast you can drink beers when you realize that you don't really wanna focus anymore :-) )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm 

shakes wrote:
a buddy of mine offered me a free ticket to the last day of the Ryder Cup so fuck yea!!!

Nice score. A couple of my buddies got tickets for the practice rounds.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:52 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
Wow. ok...

Very nice layout and look to it. But..... the condition of the course was absolutely awful. For the most part every green had areas of that were totally dirt/sand. 2 of the last 3 holes didn't even have greens. Just a circle painted around a big ass cup on the fairway just before the green. We were told that's cause the greens had been resodded. If they had been re-sodded, then the sod must have come from the Chicago Park District.

That being said, shot the round of my life. Walking up to the 16th tee I needed bird bird eagle (ok that would have been tough) to break 80. Ended up 86 after I said "fuck it" when the sub 80 score was no longer in reach (amazing how fast you can drink beers when you realize that you don't really wanna focus anymore :-) )

Isn't that course ridiculous? I was there in July and the greens were just as bad, although they at least had greens on all 18 holes. That really short par 3 had sand and dirt covering 50% of the green, had to pick up your ball and move it to a different spot on the green in order to have a playable shot.

I'll never go back to that shithole, even if it was free.

Nice round btw, you played a lot better than I did when I was there. I was playing the day after I had a lesson and everything people tell you about not playing right away after a lesson is evidentally true cause I probably shot a 120. Don't know for sure since it was a 4 man scramble, but to give you an idea I was playing with 3 guys who probably shot anywhere between 90-110 and we probably used 2 of my shots all day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:53 pm 

Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:
a buddy of mine offered me a free ticket to the last day of the Ryder Cup so fuck yea!!!

Nice score. A couple of my buddies got tickets for the practice rounds.

my girlfriend sent me an email a couple days ago saying she could get her hands on some practice round tickets if I wanted them and I responded by just sending her a link to the Allen Iverson "we're talking about practice" youtube clip.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Game has completely gone to shit. Went out with my wife's 68 year old stepdad and he only beat me by 17 shots. Can't find a fairway..had to change my grip on the irons due to.......shanking.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:51 pm 

Played Prairie Landing today. If you haven't been, I highly recommend it. Fabulous course! Right next door to the DuPage airport which adds to the charm cause all day long you could see tiny privately owned planes landing overhead. Took me about an hour to get there, but it was worth the drive. Course was in amazing shape and lots of fun to play. Played really well and shot an 85. Ended on a birdie on 18 which is always a great way to end a round. Hit 12/14 fairways off the tee with the 3 wood. I might just start leaving my driver at home altogether, haven't used it in 2 weeks.

Is it worth the full price of $90? Probably not, but for the $60 I paid on golfnow it was a steal. I would say its easily a $75 track.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm 

So about 7 years ago one of my favorite courses was Waters Edge in Worth. I used to love that place. Tough, tight layout, good service, great condition, GPS in the carts. Haven't played there since. Yesterday I snatched up a $35 deal on Golfnow and headed out there with a buddy. In all my life I have never seen a course go from being so nice to being such an unplayable shithole in such a short period of time!

Many of the greens were unplayable, the fringes were mostly dirt, the tee boxes were overgrown, bunkers had no sand, fairways were beaten up and #18 was completely unplayable. And to top it off, the GPS was gone from the carts. How do you have GPS and then get rid of it? ONce you have it, what does it cost to maintain it, a yearly subscription???

I had heard from others that it had gone downhill, but I couldn't believe just how bad.

And the clientele matched...guys in jeans and t-shirts all over the course.

After a few holes we realized what a dump the place was and started treating it accordingly. Drove our cart whereever we wanted, trampling signs and roped off areas as we pleased. At one point I turn around and I see my buddy driving the cart right across the middle of the green, but fuck it, who gives a shit, if they dont care about the course why should we?

Ended up just leaving our cart in the middle of the parking lot when we were done instead of returning it.

Really played poorly and had more fat shots than good shots, but still posted an 87 which is encouraging considering how bad I played. Looked at my scorecard after and noticed I didn't post a score higher than 6 or lower than 4 on the back nine, don't think I've ever done that before.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Country Lakes in Naperville is very similar. Quite possibly the worst golf course in Illinois.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:03 pm 

anyone ever play any of the courses in NW Indiana? It looks like there are some really nice ones that aren't that far away and are quite cheap.

Years ago I used to go to a really great course out there, but I've since forgotten the name or location.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
shakes wrote:
anyone ever play any of the courses in NW Indiana? It looks like there are some really nice ones that aren't that far away and are quite cheap.

Years ago I used to go to a really great course out there, but I've since forgotten the name or location.

My father in law swears by them. He has said there is a few right over the border that are pretty damn decent and the price is more then fair as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Our nine year old just took up golfing. I haven't played in years, but my brother does. They went out to Arrowhead in Wheaton.

Is that place any good Ugie?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:05 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
spanky wrote:
No idea where else to put this........
Mike Weir hasn't made a single cut yet this year. :shock:

That's because lefties and Canadians are not to be trusted. They are beneath us.

One time, I played in a foursome as the only righty in the group. Nobody was Canadian, however.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:10 pm 

Country Lakes in Naperville is very similar. Quite possibly the worst golf course in Illinois.

Bad, bad, bad. And that's really too bad, because that course is five minutes from my house.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:11 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Our nine year old just took up golfing. I haven't played in years, but my brother does. They went out to Arrowhead in Wheaton.

Is that place any good Ugie?

Hell yeah, that place is nice. I played there in April, and the course was in fantastic shape.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:01 am 

Went out and played Bowes Creek today. Never even heard of it till I saw it on golfnow and checked out the website. Got a deal for $59. I can't believe how nice this course was! Apparently it was supposed to be a private course for the new housing development when it was built 5 years ago, but the housing developer went under when the market crashed and they turned the course in a semi-private course.

Very nice clubhouse, touch screen GPS on all the carts, FREE range balls sitting in pyramids at the range, a nice touch that imo should be standard at every course. The course itself is very nice. Not too hard, but definitely some challenge, especially the greens which were lightning quick and didn't hold shots at all. I went by myself and they paired me up with a single and a twosome. Great guys, we had a really good time. After we were done we asked the starter about the $15 replay rate and he told us to just wait 20 minutes for the traffic to clear and then go out for free on the back nine. A few holes into our replay I found a yellow beat up titlelist sitting near the tee box so we started a game where the guy with the worst score on the hole had to use the yellow ball the next hole.

Everyone at the place was very nice. I was using my wedge at the range as an allignment stick and like an idiot I left it there...pressed a button on the touchscreen at hole #5 and 5 minutes later a ranger drove out with my club. Cart girl showed up every 3 holes or so, very nice halfway house with good brats and burgers.

Shot a 44 on the front and a 44 on the back, and then a 42 when replaying the back so I'm calling it a 86 for the day :D

I even pulled the driver out for the first time in a month and hit it well, but I only used it on holes with lots of room to the right just to be safe.

Gonna take advantage of tomorrow's jewish holiday to go play Thunderhawk. I may be a shit jew, but fuck it, golf is much more important than religion in my book.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:38 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I'd like to hear your take on Thunderhawk. It is nice but I have a beef with parts of the back 9.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I'd like to hear your take on Thunderhawk. It is nice but I have a beef with parts of the back 9.

Woke up this morning with a cold, felt like crap and almost went and played anyway, but decided I didn't want to tackle that course at less than 100% so stayed home.

Hopefully the weather will stay nice for a couple weeks cause I really want to get out there before the year ends. Also want to play Harbourside and maybe Pine Meadow since I've never played those either.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's

I agree Ugie...it sucks that the frickin' geese have taken over...played their once and the geese were on the green. Last time I have played there.

BTW...anyone try the food at the new restuarant at Country Lakes...I think it is called Navarro's. Haven't been there. It's not too far from my apartment.

Worst course in illinois? It's in the team photo...South Bluff Country Club in Peru, Illinois would be a worthy challenger to the title Worst Golf Course in Illinois.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I hit the absolute hell out of my driver today at George Dunne. Unfortunately, it was the best club in my bag :(
Though I did have a string of 4 pars out of 5 holes on the back 9.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Went out to Stony Creek in Oak Lawn this morning to wrap up the 2012 golf season. It took me a couple holes to get warmed up, and even though there are 7 par 3's on the course, it was still something to add up the scorecard at the end of the round and have it be 79. Never broke 80 before. The goal for next year is to do that on a real par 70+ course.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm 

parents gave me the sky caddie sgxw tonight for hannukah! Needless to say I am very excited about it...only sucks I have to stare at it for 4-5 months before being able to use it.

Really looking to the shot tracking feature and being able to keep a chart on how far I hit every club over the course of the season.