It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:39 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Douchebag wrote:
The easiest way to speed up the game is to have players charged per minute on the course. Don't let people pay a flat rate for a round. Problem solved.
The easiest way would be to bulldoze all of the NBA arenas out there and change them into short game practice facilities.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:43 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
The easiest way to speed up the game is to have players charged per minute on the course. Don't let people pay a flat rate for a round. Problem solved.
The easiest way would be to bulldoze all of the NBA arenas out there and change them into short game practice facilities.

I'm just trying to suggest ways to speed up the game. I think charging a per minute rate would do that. Do you disagree?

Some kind of technology could be developed to measure time actually spent playing, so you wouldn't penalize people who are stuck waiting at the tee for the group ahead to finish up. Why should two people pay the same amount if one finishes a round in 2 hours, but the other takes 4 hours?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 am 
100000 CLUB

Rarely does one person affect place of play that much. Its an entire group, then the group behind them gets held back, then the next group gets held back, and before you know it its over a 5 hour round.

I generally golf early Saturday morning so I rarely have that issue because people that have 7:30 and 8am tee times either know the game, are fairly decent, or will let you play thru. Couple of weeks ago at Fox Run we let a 2some go in front of us.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Douchebag wrote:
I'm just trying to suggest ways to speed up the game. I think charging a per minute rate would do that. Do you disagree?

Some kind of technology could be developed to measure time actually spent playing, so you wouldn't penalize people who are stuck waiting at the tee for the group ahead to finish up. Why should two people pay the same amount if one finishes a round in 2 hours, but the other takes 4 hours?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the answer to your question is obvious. Much more goes into establishing greens fees than the individual golfer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Douchebag wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I would rather have them work on putting a GPS into a golf ball and still be affordable so I don't spend 10 mins looking for a drive I hooked into the rough. I could just pull it up on the cart gps ball finder deal and go whack it into a bunker.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:56 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the answer to your question is obvious. Much more goes into establishing greens fees than the individual golfer.

I'm 100% serious.

And I wouldn't count time spent waiting around before the tee if there are groups in front of you. Something could be developed to measure time spent actually playing, and not waiting. There's smart people out there that could make something like this happen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:10 am 
1000 CLUB

Your point has some merit regarding "dollars per time played", but it simply wouldn't work as you describe it. It would be interesting to see if a smaller municipal course found a way to implement it. However, the idea simply wouldn't be financially sustainable at most courses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Wait...people go out of their way to play from the back tees?

I would play the reds every time if it wasnt frowned upon. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Wait

Did you forget to log in as me?

Also, change "short game practice facilities" to roughly anything else, and it would be perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:21 pm 

I am going to bring some sort of personalized golf item for douchebag at Bulls CSFMB North...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:37 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
I am going to bring some sort of personalized golf item for douchebag at Bulls CSFMB North...

Used Tiger Woods profelatic?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Phil McCracken wrote:
I would rather have them work on putting a GPS into a golf ball and still be affordable so I don't spend 10 mins looking for a drive I hooked into the rough. .

that's about 8 minutes too long. Just take a free drop where you think it should've ended up. Winter Rules.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

Used Tiger Woods profelatic?

Nah..I am thinking more along the lines of something like the golf tee I have been using all night to induce sneezing...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:02 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Golf etiquette is something that is so misunderstood it's funny, especially with weekend hackers. It gets even worse when strangers are paired together. I'm not talking about "being quiet in someone's backswing" or "repairing your ballmarks"; instead, I'm referring to things that directly impact pace of play.

In most weekend situations, Ready Golf should be the assumed policy, IMO. Gimmies should also be gratuitous in most situations. No need to be nervous around other golfers you don't know. Nobody cares if you missed a 2-footer or not. Just pick the damn ball up and move on to the next hole. People are waiting.

Later on, one of the guys sliced his drive onto this island that was entirely weeds, trees and fescue. Couldn't find it. So I look over and he's standing there holding the ball shoulder height and taking an official pro drop in this middle of this jungle. Then he has to punch out sideways just to get onto the fairway where he's still 50 yards behind my drive. Why do people do this? This isn't the PGA, if you go OB and you have to take a drop just go ahead and find yourself a good lie with some sort of look towards the hole. You're already getting a penalty as it is, there's no reason to further compound that by tossing the ball into a divet where you're still standing directly behind a tree. The game is hard/punitive enough as it is, there's no reason to completely give your round away and turn a hole into a 15 minute 10 stroke marathon just because you had a bad shot.

I play with a very liberal interpretation of the rules. If you get up to your ball and it happened to land in a divet or some other ridiculous lie just go ahead and give yourself a better lie. If you're ready, hit. Play from the right tees, tees that give you proper distance on the approach shots assuming you have a good drive. If every drive leads to a pitching wedge, move back to the next tee. Conversely, if every drive leads to you standing 200 yards out on a par 4, move up.

If someone gives you a gimme go pick your ball up, don't go put it anyway. That's why its called a gimme. I tell people after I give them a gimme that if they put it anyway and miss its no longer good.

If you lost a ball take a quick look, but that's it. No more than a couple minutes. If you are sure that it was in play, but you can't find it, take a free drop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:13 am 

I give myself at least 10 mulligans per hole.

Is that bad?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:

Is that bad?

Better than 10 hanleys

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 am 
1000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
Later on, one of the guys sliced his drive onto this island that was entirely weeds, trees and fescue. Couldn't find it. So I look over and he's standing there holding the ball shoulder height and taking an official pro drop in this middle of this jungle. Then he has to punch out sideways just to get onto the fairway where he's still 50 yards behind my drive. Why do people do this? This isn't the PGA, if you go OB and you have to take a drop just go ahead and find yourself a good lie with some sort of look towards the hole. You're already getting a penalty as it is, there's no reason to further compound that by tossing the ball into a divet where you're still standing directly behind a tree. The game is hard/punitive enough as it is, there's no reason to completely give your round away and turn a hole into a 15 minute 10 stroke marathon just because you had a bad shot.

I play with a very liberal interpretation of the rules. If you get up to your ball and it happened to land in a divet or some other ridiculous lie just go ahead and give yourself a better lie. If you're ready, hit. Play from the right tees, tees that give you proper distance on the approach shots assuming you have a good drive. If every drive leads to a pitching wedge, move back to the next tee. Conversely, if every drive leads to you standing 200 yards out on a par 4, move up.

If someone gives you a gimme go pick your ball up, don't go put it anyway. That's why its called a gimme. I tell people after I give them a gimme that if they put it anyway and miss its no longer good.

If you lost a ball take a quick look, but that's it. No more than a couple minutes. If you are sure that it was in play, but you can't find it, take a free drop.

I approve of this message.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 am 

Chus wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Is that bad?

Better than 10 hanleys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 am 
100000 CLUB

shakes plays at lot like how I play. Go out there, have fun, and keep pace. That's it. Nothing wrong with rolling a ball over, removing it from a wet/puddled bunker, taking a drop 2 yards closer to the pin rather than drop in a jungle, etc. If a shot lands in a divot or a dirt patch in the middle of the fairway, guess what...that is ground under repair, so roll it a foot away and take your swing. I give myself a mulligan a round too. I used to take 3 or 4 per round, but I stopped doing that. Sometimes I'll hit another shot off the tee if my drive is awful, but I count that as my second shot.

When I was first starting to really play a couple of years ago, my Dad told me to never take more than double the par on a hole, so the highest scores I would get would be 6, 8, and 10 respectively. I don't have a problem with that for beginners.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes plays at lot like how I play. Go out there, have fun, and keep pace. That's it. Nothing wrong with rolling a ball over, removing it from a wet/puddled bunker, taking a drop 2 yards closer to the pin rather than drop in a jungle, etc. If a shot lands in a divot or a dirt patch in the middle of the fairway, guess what...that is ground under repair, so roll it a foot away and take your swing. I give myself a mulligan a round too. I used to take 3 or 4 per round, but I stopped doing that. Sometimes I'll hit another shot off the tee if my drive is awful, but I count that as my second shot.

When I was first starting to really play a couple of years ago, my Dad told me to never take more than double the par on a hole, so the highest scores I would get would be 6, 8, and 10 respectively. I don't have a problem with that for beginners.

I pretty much do this but just max out at 10 strokes. I play like crap but I play fast. I definately usually see my group of duffers rolling along better than some of the semi pro's on the course with the sergio waggle up there taking 4 minutes to judge the line of their putt. Grip it and rip it.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Ready golf and don't allow 95% of the golfers to play from the back tees.

Me and my buddy got stuck behind a 4some (3 of whom were walking....which shouldn't be allowed on a Sunday). And these fucks would not let us through even though we were waiting on probably 15 of 18 holes. 1 guy hits a shot...the other 3 watch and then walk to the next shot....repeat. Same with putting. Nothing ruins an enjoyable day of golf more than that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Did Frank survive?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

Still took the half day, had a day date with the lady. Lunch, errands, a bit of shopping, and some uh...extra curriculars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:45 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:

Me and my buddy got stuck behind a 4some (3 of whom were walking....which shouldn't be allowed on a Sunday). And these fucks would not let us through even though we were waiting on probably 15 of 18 holes. 1 guy hits a shot...the other 3 watch and then walk to the next shot....repeat. Same with putting. Nothing ruins an enjoyable day of golf more than that.

Walking isnt the issue. The issue is not playing ready golf. I used to play with a weekly 4 some and we all walked and it took us 3:30 a round each time. It's all about walking to your ball, being ready to hit and doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Walking isnt the issue. The issue is not playing ready golf. I used to play with a weekly 4 some and we all walked and it took us 3:30 a round each time. It's all about walking to your ball, being ready to hit and doing it.

Agreed. Although I don't do it myself because of my back, there's nothing wrong with walking the course. Walkers may not get to their drives as quick as riders, but they make up for it by going to their ball whereas people in carts are forced to go to their partner's ball as well as their own.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:38 pm 

Yeah, when I was working the course in my yute the first group I had every Sunday was a foursome of walkers. They would usually be working on their second round of drinks by the time group two strolled in on their carts.

It really is as simple as a course not having rangers who know what they should and shouldn't be looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:05 pm 

Definitely skipping work tomorrow based on the weather, this could be the last nice day of the year. Supposed to play with a doctor I send business to, we're thinking Thunder Hawk. Haven't played since Ryder Cup weekend and went to the range Sunday and already noticing the swing going away a bit. Hopefully I don't embarass myself tomorrow.

Plus I got a hockey game at 11 tonight, my 4th game in 4 days so I'll probably be unable to move too well tomorrow...could get ugly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 am 

Tale of two nines yesterday. Shot a 39 on the front with 2 putt rule in effect (which I think hurts me more than helps me). Then the back stiffened up and I really started losing it on the back. Played the next 6 holes 8 over. Finished strong to hold it to 9 over on the back for a 45 and an 84 overall.

Heard great things about Thunderhawk and it did not disappoint. Beautiful course, in great shape. Pretty easy track to with very wide fairways and not too many spots where you really had to think that hard about your shot. I played from the silvers which made it easier as well....when I go back I'll give the golds a try since its only another 300 yards.

They got a ton of rain up there so it was cartpath only and the fairways were completey saturated in parts which made it really difficult for someone like me who tends to errror on the side of hitting it fat. A couple times I would barely get it fat but because of the wet ground I would take out a huge divot and my shot would go nowhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
shakes wrote:
Tale of two nines yesterday. Shot a 39 on the front with 2 putt rule in effect (which I think hurts me more than helps me). Then the back stiffened up and I really started losing it on the back. Played the next 6 holes 8 over. Finished strong to hold it to 9 over on the back for a 45 and an 84 overall.

Heard great things about Thunderhawk and it did not disappoint. Beautiful course, in great shape. Pretty easy track to with very wide fairways and not too many spots where you really had to think that hard about your shot. I played from the silvers which made it easier as well....when I go back I'll give the golds a try since its only another 300 yards.

They got a ton of rain up there so it was cartpath only and the fairways were completey saturated in parts which made it really difficult for someone like me who tends to errror on the side of hitting it fat. A couple times I would barely get it fat but because of the wet ground I would take out a huge divot and my shot would go nowhere.

Glad you enjoyed the track. I have never played out there in the fall. You couldn't have picked a much nicer
day. Go back during the summer, it is usually really windy out there and can be pretty challenging in chunks.
The only thing I really don't like about that course are holes 12, 13 and 14. To me it always seemed to be that
they just kind of shoe horned those in because they ran out of room or something. 14 is the one where you have to
lay up and then hit at an almost 90 degree dogleg.... stupid hole in my opinion. They take really nice care of it
and greens are nice for a county course. Stacks up with most very nice public courses in the northern burbs.