It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
You're all winners!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:10 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
My favorite time of year is when good dolphin channels all of his righteous anger on this ridiculous event.

For me, it's second only to MOFO's stage-by-stage Tour de EPO updates.

:lol:

I love that too, and then Frank's responses are priceless.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:21 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Colonel Angus wrote:
You're all winners!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 am 

Why don't they run these races through neighborhoods like Englewood? I think the times would be improved dramatically. Some people would sprint the entire thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Douchebag wrote:
Why don't they run these races through neighborhoods like Englewood? I think the times would be improved dramatically. Some people would sprint the entire thing.

Too many people would be watching the rooftop action as they ran through Austin

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:41 pm 

I'll be out there tomorrow - running slow as W_Z would say but I'm still going faster than good dolphin.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
How did any of the board members finish? Probably a nice day for a run that distance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I don't think there is ever a nice day for a run of over 15 miles

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I dont think there is ever a nice day for a run.

Unless something/someone is chasing me, I dont want to have to go faster than a brisk walk.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:07 pm 

I get tired driving 26.2 miles. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Hawg Ass wrote:
I get tired driving 26.2 miles. :oops:

You Heubner? :o

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:05 pm 

I'm doing well - I was right on the pace I assumed I would be able to go over the 26.2 miles. I'm looking forward t doing it again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:09 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
I'm doing well - I was right on the pace I assumed I would be able to go over the 26.2 miles. I'm looking forward t doing it again.

Did you just finish, Vince?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

And more importantly, how are your nipples?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Jesus Christ, man! There's just some things you don't talk about in public!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:13 am 

spmack wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Fantastic - I got a rub down in boys town.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
T-Bone wrote:
How did any of the board members finish? Probably a nice day for a run that distance.

Weather couldn't have been better.

Finished my first ever marathon with a time of 4 hours and 43 minutes. Pretty happy about it. I can walk today mostly without pain so that's a win.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Weather couldn't have been better.

Finished my first ever marathon with a time of 4 hours and 43 minutes. Pretty happy about it. I can walk today mostly without pain so that's a win.

Nice job. I need to get off my ass and work towards something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:50 am 

T-Bone wrote:

I've never been much of a runner, so it was something I started running for back in May 3-4 times a week. Started really slow doing 1 mile jogs etc. There are a TON of training programs out there. If you are interested, can definitely point you towards some programs/tips that really worked for me. Just le me know.

I'm definitely doing it again in 2013.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:57 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I've never been much of a runner, so it was something I started running for back in May 3-4 times a week. Started really slow doing 1 mile jogs etc. There are a TON of training programs out there. If you are interested, can definitely point you towards some programs/tips that really worked for me. Just le me know.

I appreciate the help. I just need to do it. I am not a great runner but I have done a bunch of 5K's and
got up to a 10K and then fell completely off the wagon. I just need to get back to it. I have no excuses.
I live in a small apartment and have no kids so I have plenty of time on my hands. This is the perfect
time for me to get a routine going before hibernation mode sets in. I tell myself all the time and then
New Years shows up and I try and then spring is here and I haven't done anything.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I appreciate the help. I just need to do it. I am not a great runner but I have done a bunch of 5K's and
got up to a 10K and then fell completely off the wagon. I just need to get back to it. I have no excuses.
I live in a small apartment and have no kids so I have plenty of time on my hands. This is the perfect
time for me to get a routine going before hibernation mode sets in. I tell myself all the time and then
New Years shows up and I try and then spring is here and I haven't done anything.

Let me say this - do not set a goal of doing a marathon in your first year of consistent running or first year off a break. It's a recipe for disaster either injury during the training or all around hating running again. This is my third year of consistent running and the lessons I learned the first two years (mostly painful ones) led to me being injury free and enjoying my first marathon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:21 am 

Two things I would recommend.

1. Go to Dick Pond, Fleet Feet etc and get fitted for a pair of running shoes. I never experienced any injuries to my feet/ankles/knees during training/marathon. Large part of that is having the right equipment.

2. You can't stretch enough. Before and especially after a run.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:30 am 

Vince, I would agree. I have the bar set pretty low. More than anything just trying to go
consistently. As recently as a few weeks ago I was running 2-3 miles at a pop on the
weekends but would not get back outside or in the gym during the week. Dan, I really
need to heed your advice on the stretching. I still don't make that a big part of things
and I am going to find out the hard way that trying to touch my toes a few times isn't
going to cut it when my achilles rolls up the back of my leg. I have felt tightness there
in the past and I usually just jump off the treadmill and quit. I am starting tonight. Not
concerned so much about distance but just showing up to do it at least 4 times a week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
spmack wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Fantastic - I got a rub down in boys town.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:06 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Vince, I would agree. I have the bar set pretty low. More than anything just trying to go
consistently. As recently as a few weeks ago I was running 2-3 miles at a pop on the
weekends but would not get back outside or in the gym during the week. Dan, I really
need to heed your advice on the stretching. I still don't make that a big part of things
and I am going to find out the hard way that trying to touch my toes a few times isn't
going to cut it when my achilles rolls up the back of my leg. I have felt tightness there
in the past and I usually just jump off the treadmill and quit. I am starting tonight. Not
concerned so much about distance but just showing up to do it at least 4 times a week.

And there is no shame is starting with run/walk mentality. Most beginner programs do that (Couch to 5K for example)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

And there is no shame is starting with run/walk mentality. Most beginner programs do that (Couch to 5K for example)

I think I can start at a mild pace and at least knock out 2.5 miles at a time. I will shoot to hit 10 miles total by Saturday
afternoon. Seems very doable to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Good advice on the shoes. Go to a running store and get a proper fit. Not footlocker. You will pay more but it is worth it. Once you find a shoe you like you can buy them on line and save money.

Replace your shoes every 300-400 miles.

Also good advice on not starting with a marathon. 5k, 10k, and half marathon is a good progression. But having an event to train for is what can get you out the door for the daily run. Otherwise running can get boring quick.

After I did Chicago a few times I started doing a second one in the spring. Spring marathons get me outside running in the winter so I don't lard up too much. And doing the 20 milers in the winter are often easier for me than doing them when it is 90 outside. There are some terrific spring destination marathons (i.e. Big Sur, Napa Valley, New Orleans) and if money is tight there are also plenty right around here that are much cheaper than Chicago. I think Kenosha is $80.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:56 am 

a retard wrote:
There are some terrific spring destination marathons (i.e. Big Sur, Napa Valley, New Orleans) and if money is tight there are also plenty right around here that are much cheaper than Chicago. I think Kenosha is $80.

That's all fine and dandy, but why would someone pay money to run in a marathon? Couldn't you just map out a 26 mile trek on your own, and do that? This area is full of great trails that could be used for something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:58 am 

Douchebag wrote:
a retard wrote:
There are some terrific spring destination marathons (i.e. Big Sur, Napa Valley, New Orleans) and if money is tight there are also plenty right around here that are much cheaper than Chicago. I think Kenosha is $80.

That's all fine and dandy, but why would someone pay money to run in a marathon? Couldn't you just map out a 26 mile trek on your own, and do that? This area is full of great trails that could be used for something like that.

Well, at least with Chicago, there was some novelty running down closed streets through like 28 some neighborhoods. . The people, the aid stations, freebies etc was a neat experience. I get the I paid to exercise thing, but it's a unique experience to do it in an organized fashion then just doing laps in a park district.