It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:45 pm 

I was stuck listening to the whole thing this morning. One idiotic song parody after another along with the comedy stylings of Big Doug. Mully and Hanley laugh like hyenas no matter what stupid sound plays or what stupid thing Buffone says. It seemed like it went on for nearly 30 minutes today. I have never, ever, heard any thing funny in this segment. I have never heard a clever song parody.

I just wonder, does anybody think, "Oh man, Friday morning. I cant wait for Big Doug to come on!" I sure don't. Learned my lesson today from being too lazy to get up and PTFB.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
BlazingSize wrote:
I was stuck listening to the whole thing this morning. One idiotic song parody after another along with the comedy stylings of Big Doug. Mully and Hanley laugh like hyenas no matter what stupid sound plays or what stupid thing Buffone says. It seemed like it went on for nearly 30 minutes today. I have never, ever, heard any thing funny in this segment. I have never heard a clever song parody.

I just wonder, does anybody think, "Oh man, Friday morning. I cant wait for Big Doug to come on!" I sure don't. Learned my lesson today from being too lazy to get up and PTFB.

I think it sucks too but I'm pretty sure BigFan enjoys it. Why I have no idea for the very reasons you mentioned. Not funny. Not fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
It's Doug! Maybe not as much enjoyment as it is hard to say Doug fakes laughing, but dont tell me you didnt laugh when the "I kissed Big Doug and I liked it parody" rolled out!

Even The Bookie Priest was good the first 3 times.....it was the last 2,450 times that made it terrible.

Need to recreate the Doug bit.

It should be a montage of weekly doug phone interviews about how he does or does not like the bears that week. Then by Sunday...he always likes the Bears! Even when they stink, a 10 pt underdog, Dougie will fine something he likes that day to like them to win the game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I think the segment has more value than a lot of that show. Some of the parody songs aren't bad, although all can agree the fake laughter at them is a bit much. Doug's "old timey" jokes at the end are kind of funny at times. That being said, I probably haven't heard it in 3+ months, so what do I know.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:25 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
With the exception of Waddle, any of the "old Bears" instantly result in PTFB for me. All are terrible broadcasters, maybe Johnny Morris the most polished. Most can barely speak English well enough to convey their ideas, I can hope that an uncensored format may free up the conversation. I understand that World Champion Bears are going to be some special people, so it seems unlikely that their opinions would relate well to me. Doug and OB are even less relevant to me, from a generation I can barely converse with about real life- they cackle like the "Grumpy Old Men"- seen it, enjoyed it briefly, now keep it. Even Ditka should shut it- but how is he gonna hawk more wine, cigars, restaurants, etc. without (big orange) face time?

Nationally, it doesn't get any better- hell, CBS has like 13 former players hosting their pregame show, all shouting the others down, making stupid jokes, etc. And we're back with Frank Caliendo doing shitty impersonations of shitty broadcasters.

Somebody must like it, just not me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I absolutely love it. It's much much better than hosts who take sports betting seriously, at least. And the corny jokes and parodies are just fine.

It's a nice short segment, well produced and a good thing to podcast weekly so you don't have to listen to the rest of the M&H show.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Reared on the Score wrote:
I absolutely love it. It's much much better than hosts who take sports betting seriously, at least. And the corny jokes and parodies are just fine.

It's a nice short segment, well produced and a good thing to podcast weekly so you don't have to listen to the rest of the M&H show.

I'd have to agree with you here. The handful of times I have heard it this season it has been relatively enjoyable.
Yes, they swing and miss a lot of times but the ones they hit on make it worth it to me. Nice way to segue into
Mac and Spiegs on a Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
You two are killing me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
K Effective wrote:
With the exception of Waddle, any of the "old Bears" instantly result in PTFB for me.
Jim Miller is pretty good on the CSN postgames. Not so much doing the preseason games this year, but its preseason football. If you are talking "champion" bears, I agree with you....though I do like Brandon Marshall 8)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Frank Coztansa wrote:
K Effective wrote:
With the exception of Waddle, any of the "old Bears" instantly result in PTFB for me.
Jim Miller is pretty good on the CSN postgames. Not so much doing the preseason games this year, but its preseason football. If you are talking "champion" bears, I agree with you....though I do like Brandon Marshall 8)

I think K Effective may be referring to any of the 85 Bears.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Then except for Ditka in small doses, I agree.

I've heard VanHorne and Covert on the radio here and there, and they are real good. But they are more of a 1 segment guest interview.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
It was funnier two years ago..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Nick&Vito's
Meh on the big Doug segment. Of the old bears I don't mind Tom Thayer, he can come off as a homer, but that's kinda expected of a guy who is a former Bear and a native of the Chicagoland area.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
The more Doug the better.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Reared on the Score wrote:

I know I do this too often, but just a simple "I agree 100%" is sufficient in this case; not a deep reply, but fully truthful all the same .... superb segment, especially taken in context wherein so many people detest the show it appears on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Nancy's
It's pretty good.

Early in the segments run they had a montage of testimonials from callers and that was hilarious. I've never heard why they ditched that portion of the segment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
bad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
too many songs. Not enough picks. Doug's not a bad amateur handicapper NFL wise. Just have him run thru all his sun-times picks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaPlace
No it's a time waster and not funny.