PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Good thing Detroit beat the Yankees.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:10 pm 

KS any chance we can convince you to quickly relocate to NY/NJ?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
FRANKENBEANS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
So anyway, just to see where the hype machine is headed (other than the voters-won't-be-able-to-vote undercurrent), I see this article ...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/27/us/tropical-weather-sandy/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

... with this seemingly innocuous portion:

"Forget about the category with this," said CNN meteorologist Rob Marciano. "When you have trees with leaves on them still, this kind of wind and rain on top of that, you're talking about trees that are going to come down, power lines are going to be out and the coastal flooding situation is going to be huge."

Okay, I don't necessarily think that's an incorrect assertion to consider ... however, I ask you, how often do hurricanes roll through when there aren't leaves on the trees? And obviously I don't just mean palm and pine, I mean proper deciduous trees. Seems to me like a bunch of inappropriate attention on an otherwise (virtually) 'given' circumstance, common to pretty much every hurricane.

So, if my concern is well-founded, why am I supposed to take things at face-value rather than the fear-mongering sensationalism that it appears it is? That's not to say nobody will face difficult or dangerous times because of this storm, but I guess, in the end, I don't see how the exploitation is good for anyone, aside from anyone making money off others' misery .... which I guess answers my question after all.

Last edited by Don Tiny on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Don Tiny wrote:
So anyway, just to see where the hype machine is headed (other than the voters-won't-be-able-to-vote undercurrent), I see this article ...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/27/us/tropical-weather-sandy/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

... with this seemingly innocuous portion:

"Forget about the category with this," said CNN meteorologist Rob Marciano. "When you have trees with leaves on them still, this kind of wind and rain on top of that, you're talking about trees that are going to come down, power lines are going to be out and the coastal flooding situation is going to be huge."

Okay, I don't necessarily think that's an incorrect assertion to consider ... however, I ask you, how often do hurricanes roll through when there aren't leaves on the trees? And obviously I don't just mean palm and pine, I mean proper deciduous trees.

So, if my concern is well-founded, why am I supposed to take things at face-value rather than the fear-mongering sensationalism that it appears it is? That's not to say nobody will face difficult or dangerous times because of this storm, but I guess, in the end, I don't see how the exploitation is good for anyone, aside from anyone making money off others' misery .... which I guess answers my question after all.

I've been wondering this all week. Will they stop referencing the leaves on the trees!? Trees have leaves on them most of the time! I live in CT, and there are far fewer leaves now than there are most of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:44 am 

Sure, reply to me while I'm adding a clarifying positional statement .... :lol: :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:48 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
Sure, reply to me while I'm adding a clarifying positional statement .... :lol: :oops: :lol:

It seems we are still in agreement.

Where I live, we are sold out of generators, batteries, flashlights, etc. I don't know - I guess it's understandable because last year, there was a power outage out here for 14 days in some areas. I didn't yet live here when it happened. Maybe it's why people are so up in arms. We're going to take our chances with candles and old batteries.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:54 am 

So I'm an idiot and kept skimming through the article and then saw a link at the bottom titled "Stay well-fed in any disaster" ... okay, fair enough, but in that link (http://eatocracy.cnn.com/emergency/) and somewhere in the middle is this paragraph (emphasis added) ....

Mayonnaise may adorn your sandwiches and tuna or chicken salads at the outset, and pre-sealed packets aren't a bad way to go, but after a few hours, mustard is a better safety bet. Avoid flavor fatigue by assembling a sampler pack of yellow, Dijon, deli, whole grain, flavored and honey mustards. Per the good folks at French's Mustard, "There are no ingredients in mustard that spoil. "Refrigerate After Opening" is not required for food safety–we only recommended you do so to maintain optimal product flavor."

Now on this board I should probably consider making a Mac Mustard Belt joke, but I mean let's consider that sentence for a moment .... in a disaster (not a trifling inconvenience, not an overnight snowfall, a fucking disaster .... like Bobby Valentine is your manager type disaster), let's be sure to address "flavor fatigue".

I'd like to say what a wonderful country and time we live in that we can actually conceive of writing such a sentence, but I can't help but just sit with mouth-agape level uneasiness that there's apparently an overriding mental framework in these United States that, in times of almost life-and-death situations, we need to address the issue of not being bored with how one's food tastes, and I say that as a blimp of a man.

I think I will just go back to bed and quietly hope not to wake up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:01 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Where I live, we are sold out of generators, batteries, flashlights, etc. I don't know - I guess it's understandable because last year, there was a power outage out here for 14 days in some areas. I didn't yet live here when it happened. Maybe it's why people are so up in arms. We're going to take our chances with candles and old batteries.

Oh, no .... I completely understand and agree whole-heartedly with the concern of losing power for an significantly extended period of time. I just mean (and I assume you get) that there's no positive purpose behind overstating the obvious .... unless there's some ulterior motive, and in some fashion or another said motive has to be profit motivated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:02 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Oh, no .... I completely understand and agree whole-heartedly with the concern of losing power for an significantly extended period of time. I just mean (and I assume you get) that there's no positive purpose behind overstating the obvious .... unless there's some ulterior motive, and in some fashion or another said motive has to be profit motivated.

Yes, I do. Everything's being overdramatized. I hope that sentence doesn't come back to bite me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Don Tiny wrote:
So I'm an idiot and kept skimming through the article and then saw a link at the bottom titled "Stay well-fed in any disaster" ... okay, fair enough, but in that link (http://eatocracy.cnn.com/emergency/) and somewhere in the middle is this paragraph (emphasis added) ....

Mayonnaise may adorn your sandwiches and tuna or chicken salads at the outset, and pre-sealed packets aren't a bad way to go, but after a few hours, mustard is a better safety bet. Avoid flavor fatigue by assembling a sampler pack of yellow, Dijon, deli, whole grain, flavored and honey mustards. Per the good folks at French's Mustard, "There are no ingredients in mustard that spoil. "Refrigerate After Opening" is not required for food safety–we only recommended you do so to maintain optimal product flavor."

Now on this board I should probably consider making a Mac Mustard Belt joke, but I mean let's consider that sentence for a moment .... in a disaster (not a trifling inconvenience, not an overnight snowfall, a fucking disaster .... like Bobby Valentine is your manager type disaster), let's be sure to address "flavor fatigue".

I'd like to say what a wonderful country and time we live in that we can actually conceive of writing such a sentence, but I can't help but just sit with mouth-agape level uneasiness that there's apparently an overriding mental framework in these United States that, in times of almost life-and-death situations, we need to address the issue of not being bored with how one's food tastes, and I say that as a blimp of a man.

I think I will just go back to bed and quietly hope not to wake up.

There are twenty-seven television programs about making cakes or very small cakes under duress. One is on C-SPAN, I think. The fact that flavor or aesthetic protocol is in place shouldn't come as a great surprise. Our preservatives are what preserve us as a society.

P.S. I just stole your Glenn Close picture.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:18 am 

i've already told my east coast family and friends that at least when they die they can know they died in the name of a very cute pun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
We've already gotten emails from our power & phone company saying
"so, um we already expect you to lose power and to not have it for a few days, possibly the week."
my wife is already getting the car packed to go to Michigan for the week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Psycory wrote:
"so, um we already expect you to lose power and to not have it for a few days, possibly the week."

Aren't you only in Pennsylvania?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:34 am 

Psycory wrote:

Load up on beer and tell her to call you when she gets there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:59 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Aren't you only in Pennsylvania?

Eastern PA (only two hours from NYC).
spanky wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Load up on beer and tell her to call you when she gets there.

She was planning on going to MI for a long weekend next weekend anyway, leaving me home alone, if the power goes out, I'm strongly encouraging her to go and call me when she gets there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
My wife went to DC this weekend to visit relatives.

All flights cancelled through Tuesday. I hope she makes it back by Thursday night. We are supposed to fly out Friday AM to check out the University of Nebraska.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I picture Bernsy in black hooded robe doing incantations in a secret room in his basement and sacrificing small animals to conjure up this storm to wipe out PA.

"Abbalah Nostrum Thundratus, decend upon PA and destroy the childrape supporting citizens!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Seacrest wrote:
My wife went to DC this weekend to visit relatives.

All flights cancelled through Tuesday. I hope she makes it back by Thursday night. We are supposed to fly out Friday AM to check out the University of Nebraska.

I can't wait for your "Suddenly Single for a Couple Days" features in the Herald. Remember, she's coming back, and can read all of this online.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:38 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I picture Bernsy in black hooded robe doing incantations in a secret room in his basement and sacrificing small animals to conjure up this storm to wipe out PA.

"Abbalah Nostrum Thundratus, decend upon PA and destroy the childrape supporting citizens!"

Yeah, it kinda puts the "napalm the whole state" thing in perspective. If I still have power when he comes on the air, I may listen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I spent the weekend in Boston. Luckily the GF and I had a 1:30 pm flight yesterday and got out in time. Hoping all those CSFMB east residents are safe, as well as everyone else out there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:06 am 

4 hours in to our 28 hours of danger, raining pretty bad and pretty high winds, can see the trees on the back property line swaying a lot. I'm concerned about the house on the other side of the trees, but I do not think anyone is home.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
are there intrepid reporters out there risking life and limb to stand out there and verify that it's raining?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Wasn't the John Bobbit porn movie called FrankenPenis? Relevant.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:58 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East - Pepperoni & Garlic Deep Dish
Keeping Score wrote:
Good lord. Irene vs Sandy :shock:

That's insane!