It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:09 am 
1000 CLUB

Ok kids, I'm behind on the new music for several different reasons so I need to get caught up on what I missed and what I should be glad I've missed.

Best Of....

Son Volt- The Search---Maybe their best effort, not as solid as Trace but the highs here are just as good

Kings of Leon- Beacause of the Times---I liked their first two albums but they were to inconsistent, but holy shit this is good. It reminded me of listening to MMJ's Z for the first time, you just realise that a band has taken a massive step in the right direction. KOL ante up on the cock rock and arena sound. It still has the Band and Allmans influence but with some Thin Lizzy and AC/DC for good measure. Will probably be in my Top 3 at years end.

Average..

Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
Modest Mouse- We Were Dead…

Overrated…
Arcade Fire- Neon Bible

Anticipating..

Pelican-They have a new song on their myspace page and the boys have been listening to some Built to Spill it would seem

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:38 am 

Quote:
Son Volt- The Search---Maybe their best effort, not as solid as Trace but the highs here are just as good

Glad to see I'm not the only fan. I actually downloaded this last night on ITunes. Looking forward to getting through the whole thing. What are your favorites so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:40 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver will be in the team photo when all is said and done.

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Yeah, man, Neon Bible kinda sucked. Maybe four good songs amidst dull crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:59 pm 

Bright Eyes- Cassadaga

I'd call it better than average.
The songwriting is much better than the last 3 albums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:09 am 
1000 CLUB

White Stripes-Icky Thump-The Stripes are probably the best singles band of the past 10 years, though Incubus gives them a run. But the new album is inconsistent and drags into standard bar band bullshit, it's ok but nothing stellar, which sums up the Stripes-B-

QOTSA-Ear Vulgaris-Some killer solos and some really catchy stuff, better then their last album but nowhere near the level of their first 3. B-

Jarvis Cocker-Jarvis- I dont know much about Pulp, but this is really good. Nothing all that original but covering the spectrum of british rock from the Kinks to Oasis. A-

Panda Bear-Person Pitch- Not for everyone but really beautiful. It's an obvious refrence but if you like Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys this is for you, or if you just smoke large amounts of pot. B+[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Sea & Cake and Dinosaur Jr. are definitely on my best-of list so far.

Rocks & Blows, I've been meaning to check out that Jarvis Cocker for a long time, never see it anywhere. Next time I order online I'm going to get it. You should check out Pulp- they're great. Different Class would be the logical entrance point I believe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:03 am 
1000 CLUB

Blitzen Trapper-Wild MountainNation-For fans of early Beck and the James Gang recommended songs “Wild Mountain Nation” and “Summer Town” at, http://www.myspace.com/blitzentrapper

King Khan and the Shrines-What Is?-For fans of mid 60’s R&B and rock and roll, like the Animals infused with some Jack White. Recommended songs “Outta Harms Way” “69 Faces of Love” at, http://www.myspace.com/kingkhantheshrines

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Bulldog Scott wrote:
Quote:

Glad to see I'm not the only fan. I actually downloaded this last night on ITunes. Looking forward to getting through the whole thing. What are your favorites so far?

I just bought The Search the other day in anticipation of the Son Volt and Old 97's show Saturday night at Summerfest. Really looking forward to that.

My early impressions of the CD is that it's very solid, though obviously not as good as Trace, and perhaps a notch below Wide Swing Tremolo, which I also consider excellent and aesthetically comparable to The Search. I really like the surprising use of horns on "The Picture", and think "Methamphetamine" and "Highways and Cigarettes" are very nice slower numbers. While I like the guitar work on "Automatic Society", the lyrics are remarkably banal for a writer of Farrar's stature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:32 pm 

That's a great sounding double bill Midge.
I'm waiting for the Old 97's to swing throught Chicago on August 11 at the Taylor Street Italian fest

http://www.jamfests.com/taylorstreet/entertainment.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Mustang Rob wrote:
That's a great sounding double bill Midge.
I'm waiting for the Old 97's to swing throught Chicago on August 11 at the Taylor Street Italian fest

http://www.jamfests.com/taylorstreet/entertainment.htm

Nice! Thanks for the tip. I hadn't heard that they were going to be in town this summer. I will definitely check that out--the Old 97's always put on a Hell of a show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:34 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Odawas "Raven and the White Night" - I reviewed it, at length, on my blog, but I'm not linking from here to my blog. Google is your friend.

Justice "[cross]" - Totally trendy, retarded, lifestyle-electro, but they're good at it.

Simian Mobile Disco "Attack Decay Sustain Release" - Totally trendy, retarded, lifestyle-electro, but a little less self-aware than Justice and rooted in some great sounds.

The Besnard Lakes "The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse" - Psych jams with a decent enough pop sensibility.

Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas "Reinterpretations" - Technically not 'new,' this is a collection of b-sides and relative rarities by these Swedish purveyors of kosmische-disco. Old Man Potter would hate this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Bona Pizza in Lombard
SP's blog features frequent updates.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
haha, that's another "thin books" entry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
I guess I'm a little late catching onto this thread, but I thought I'd offer my 2 cents for the best of 2007...Two Shoes by The Cat Empire. They are an Aussie band that mixes Ska, Reggae, Jazz, Latin and a little Soul for a fun and interesting listen. :D