It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:11 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Would never vote for a MAC guy for the Heisman - lesser brand of football. :lol: :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Would never vote for a MAC guy for the Heisman - lesser brand of football. :lol: :cheers:

Can't say I blame him for the position.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Whatever happened to his guy from Ball State, Nate something....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
spmack wrote:

He had a cup of coffee with the 49ers. Don't know where he is now. Probably Muncie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
spmack wrote:

He had a cup of coffee with the 49ers. Don't know where he is now. Probably Muncie

Nope...apparently, according to Wikipedia, Davis played last season for the Amarillo Venom of the Lone Star Indoor Football League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Davis_(quarterback)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 am 

The MAC had a really nice little run there about 10 years ago. They had become dangerous to schedule against for pre conference games and they had innovative coaches on the rise with legit NFL prospects at QB. They have really lost their momentum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:57 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The MAC had a really nice little run there about 10 years ago. They had become dangerous to schedule against for pre conference games and they had innovative coaches on the rise with legit NFL prospects at QB. They have really lost their momentum.
It's much harder to find hidden gems in recruiting with how big of a business it is. Now, coaches will buy subscriptions to recruiting sites for other teams and see who they are interested in and search for hidden gems. Michigan has done this to Purdue almost every year by giving late offers to players they had committed and getting some to switch.

My guess is that every big Midwestern school has a list of the best QB recruits for every MAC school and will give them another look.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
Dolphin, sorry to say if there was momentum lost it certainly wasn't this year, moreso past few years.....they've played damn well against BCS squads this year and have some good victories across the conference....I'm biased being a HUGE NIU fan, but agree no way a kid out of the MAC would EVER win a Heisman, just too many soft squads (see NIU's roll this year).....but perhaps a few of the top MAC squads could get realigned into diff. conferences with all the changes looming in the future, who knows....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:06 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I'd say the MAC as a whole is better now than 10 years ago. If anything, the "nice little run" started then and continues now. They still have coaches on the rise and legit NFL prospects at a lot of positions.

They don't need to find the "hidden gems" as much anymore. TV exposure (and $$$) and successes beyond college have made it easier for some schools to recruit. Speaking just of NIU specifically, they quickly figured out that a lot of the Chicago talent was there for the taking, and they've taken advantage of that.

All of that being said, I would not legitimately vote for Jordan Lynch for the Heisman. NIU realizes that also, despite this modest campaign they are running. But what they do want is for people talk about him, his season, the team and ultimately the conference. Which is what is happening. It's not a stretch to say he's having one of the best seasons in the country this year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:27 pm 

spanky wrote:
They don't need to find the "hidden gems" as much anymore. TV exposure (and $$$) and successes beyond college have made it easier for some schools to recruit. Speaking just of NIU specifically, they quickly figured out that a lot of the Chicago talent was there for the taking, and they've taken advantage of that.
The MAC still relies heavily on the "hidden gems". The best example this year is Jordan Lynch, who had one FBS offer. The same was true for Harnish. Chad Spann didn't even have a rivals recruiting profile. Dan Lefevour didn't have an offer besides MAC offers and Eastern Illinois. Nate Davis had a Cincinnati offer, but that was when they were still Conference USA. Garrett Wolfe only had an Illinois offer. That's just going down the list of MAC offensive players of the year.

Those are all hidden gems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Those are all hidden gems.

Tough to call Lynch a hidden gem. A running QB in HS that was recruited to be a running QB in college.

Purdue would kill to have Lynch right now. Bad recruiting by schools in other conferences makes him a "hidden gem"?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:34 pm 

spanky wrote:
Tough to call Lynch a hidden gem. A running QB in HS that was recruited to be a running QB in college.
Do you understand what I mean when I say "hidden gem"? It's that someone is so severely underrated that everyone misses them except a MAC school or two. Would you agree that Jordan Lynch was very underrated coming out of high school?
spanky wrote:
Purdue would kill to have Lynch right now. Bad recruiting by schools in other conferences makes him a "hidden gem"?
Of course they would. That's what makes him a hidden gem. They chose not to offer him just like every other program in the country not named NIU. It was a mistake.

Last edited by Brick on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Where's the Score hot tub?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Would you agree that Jordan Lynch was very underrated coming out of high school?

No idea. I clearly don't follow high school football as closely as you do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
This is a nice little fight we have going on here. Go Dan Go Meat Go Dan Go Meat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Meatpants just destroyed Bernstein.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I agree. Dan goes way overboard trying to prove his point and comes out looking like a huge asshat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 pm 

spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Would you agree that Jordan Lynch was very underrated coming out of high school?

No idea. I clearly don't follow high school football as closely as you do.
It's not hard to look up offer lists. Why are you arguing with me though if you don't know about this? He had one offer. That was from NIU.

It's not a slight to the MAC to say they rely on hidden gems. It's actually quite a credit to NIU that, even with the disadvantages they have, that they've been able to find and develop players like Wolfe, Harnish, and Lynch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:08 pm 

I'm not arguing with you. I realized you were mostly wrong about a lot of things in college football a long time ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:12 pm 

spanky wrote:
I'm not arguing with you. I realized you were mostly wrong about a lot of things in college football a long time ago.
You come from an admitted place of ignorance on this. Now may not be the time to play that card.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:16 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:
You come from an admitted place of ignorance on this. Now may not be the time to play that card.

Feisty BRick is failing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:01 pm 

I would agree that the MAC is a little better this year. I don't see how anyone watching their games over the past five years would say it is keeping up with the days when Marshall was part of the league.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
beni hanna wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I agree. Dan goes way overboard trying to prove his point and comes out looking like a huge asshat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Gem City
spanky wrote:
All of that being said, I would not legitimately vote for Jordan Lynch for the Heisman. NIU realizes that also, despite this modest campaign they are running. But what they do want is for people talk about him, his season, the team and ultimately the conference. Which is what is happening. It's not a stretch to say he's having one of the best seasons in the country this year.
Lynch will be mentioned as a possible Heisman candidate going into next season. He's already gotten some national exposure as an "under the radar" player in SI and will likely get some votes this year. To be clear - He won't win & likely won't even finish in the top 5 unless NIU manages to go undefeated (including beating both Iowa and Purdue).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:22 am 

I remember when Gordie Lockbaum was a Heisman "candidate".