It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Dewskie wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Dewskie wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSdjYXmD93Y

Bad Meets Evil - I'm On Everything. Easily stuck in one's head, beware.

I skip that shit every time now

Just reading this brought it back. Pain killers, cigarettes, weed, hennessey and....

TERRIBLE

Great album otherwise

haha I hated it at first too, it was obnoxious as hell.

Syrup, painkillers, cigarettes, weed, hennessey, vodka, hunnuhuh, hunnuh

fuck women, give me all of those and i'm good =D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:07 am 

unequivocally, inexorably, and magnanimously, your hip hop song of the day is....

del tha funkee homosapien - doctor bombay

seriously, if you don't like this song you don't like rap. songs like this are why i collect vinyl.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 am 

Rap Poets-Eminem, Jay-Z, Nas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am 

in honor of my ubiquitous freakishness and the block i'm no-doubt likely to earn from the newest member of the score "family" i present to you a song that features a !!!!!!!!!!!!143kafjlad WHOA beat from headnodic and two of the best MCs in the game (gift of gab from blackalicious and lateef from latyrx/maroons respectively)

the mighty underdogs - monster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:05 pm 

welp, i obviously turned this thread into a backpackathon and therefore i killed the thread!

in the spirit of the perpetually-salable zombie apocalypses inevitable in our future (we're only two weeks away from the end of the world) i wish to revive this thread with a token offering from a bygone era.... you know, back when eminem could rap!

eminem - low down dirty

ahh yes, the slim shady EP.... aka the ~7-10 track promotional EP that was given out promotionally before the proper slim shady LP could come and sell a bunch of records to white kids who felt that 3rd bass and the detroit sound of ICP/kidrock weren't cutting the mustard for them. the tragedy to us rap fans nowadays is that em doesn't use his skills 90% of the time.... cuz even tho this track is your basic punchline fluff, shit, the dude could rap you know what i'm sayin?

oh and if you really wanna feel old, this is what eminem's daughter looks like nowadays:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: nowhere
Im takin it way back

Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:14 pm 

Mr. Hernandez wrote:
Im takin it way back

Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta

Ridin around town in a drop top Benz hittin Switches in black Six Fo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm 

Where all my ninjaz at? #realtalk this joint for the zombies who hate on juggalo nation,! Camkmmmmmmmmmmouu love ot when temsms... lemme cellphone mines sicc lol idk just say NO to anfi-hm modykacgmy just mund dcxfhbd xe,.mnmmmmmmmmmmm k ingdrbrmnust kno thjs id odt Friend of thst of frirmenfd circfcfc. To say I SIDNT WATCH MY BRITHER DUE FAC fir Die/;

I have losed yrain of thought so im gonn go aeay
2913 = THE YRAR OF MMCKK GMTO YOU AND PLOT MY NRXT TWITTER APPS

WIOP WOOP

THE JUGGALO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
sinicalypse wrote:
Where all my ninjaz at? #realtalk this joint for the zombies who hate on juggalo nation,! Camkmmmmmmmmmmouu love ot when temsms... lemme cellphone mines sicc lol idk just say NO to anfi-hm modykacgmy just mund dcxfhbd xe,.mnmmmmmmmmmmm k ingdrbrmnust kno thjs id odt Friend of thst of frirmenfd circfcfc. To say I SIDNT WATCH MY BRITHER DUE FAC fir Die/;

I have losed yrain of thought so im gonn go aeay
2913 = THE YRAR OF MMCKK GMTO YOU AND PLOT MY NRXT TWITTER APPS

WIOP WOOP

THE JUGGALO

Does any of this post make any sense at all to anybody?

Quite frankly, I am very concerned about the well being of Sinicalypse after attempting to read this.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:28 pm 

lol gee thanks SR, i'm sure your panties were in a bunch there.

sometimes i can't help myself by diving in face first.... and in the case where my song of the day was gonna be a juggalo affair, well, anyone whose facebook friends with me can plainly see that my #1 book is "reading ICP videos comments on youtube" (altho i think fb got rid of groupings and all likes are just a random blob) so yeah, the gold was went for. i'm glad you noticed,

2013/2014 are big years for your buddy sini..... they're the years where i'm gonma find out if i'm a total joke or not, cuz while i've put in 0% effort to fuck around with a twisted sense of humor coupled along with formally sycking (the stuff i've put out there is the equivalent of a 12 year old kid rapping on top of songs that are playing on the radio in the background) still, i've shown enough fleeting moments of !! to get some attention. amazing.

TL;DR --- as i study rap, i'm on to all of the clownfaced/juggalo stuff and..... wow, what a wonderful world, eh? and out of what i've heard thus far, i think there's something eminently catchy about this song.... GET READY TO HATE Y'ALL

blaze ya dead homie - dub sack

$15 for the juggalos, $20 for all them other hoes. indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
immessedup17 wrote:
I put Pharoahe Monch on my iPod. I will kick you in the throat if it sucks.

It doesn't.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 pm 

imu, idk if it's been said upthread but you'd do well to check out some of the earlier stuff pharoahe did with prince po as organized konfusion. i'd argue that his second verse on releasing hypnotical gases is one of, if not the best verse in hip hop history. he abso-lutely fucking kills it.

AND IF I'VE GOT ONE BREATH LEFT.... I'LL SUCK WIND FROM THE VALLEY OF DEATH
HERE I COME FROM THE SLUMS OF EARTH TO CENTER
REVEALING MYSELF TO BE A BEAST IN AN UNBREAKABLE SHELL
COMING THROUGH THE DOORWAY TO HEAVEN... OR IS THIS HELL?!?!

poor prince po has to follow that verse. and i mean, holy shit, his first verse has the fucking sample dj shadow used for midnight. it's legit. but after pharoahe's second verse? holy shit... it's kind of like when gift of gab killed that one freestyle on the secret/bonus track @ the end of the CD version of solesides greatest bumps and he goes and has a bonafide "rap moment" and then lyrics born, a truly remarkable great MC, is just like... uhhh.... and then, you know, the song kind of does him a favor and fades out on the verse =D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21 pm 

oh hey OKC, since you're also into rap/ping, here's that gift of gab freestyle from teh hidden/bonus track on teh CD version of solesides' greatest bumps. it's one of, if not my favorite freestyle ever... i mean i've heard people snap and say shit that's lyrically more impressive than this on an off-the-dome outing, but man.... as you know when you're rappin and just lettin it rip and you're trying to think of clever shit to say and do it fast enough to have some style.... damn, i think you'll prolly appreciate gab's freestyle more than most cuz he just hits a zone where you're like "holy fuck, i wish i could do that"

fittingly enough, some of my friends used to give me shit when i'd hit a few bars with one of those intense voices like gab does.... you know "keep it real", etc... but there's a certain amount of credibility dished out on credit when you're on a stage in front of paying customers i spose. c'est la vie.

PROTIP (literally): kids, last year after checking out a pretty solid freestyle by me, aceyalone told me that when you're freestyling it's a good idea to try and slow it down and sit back and purposely avoid jumping on the first word that comes to mind. he said to envision the words coming at you in groups of 2-4 and then pick out the best one. it fucks with you at first cuz when you start doing this you're just so glad you can jump on the first word that comes to mind it's a fucking victory, but after awhile once you're used to practictioning the art, shit.... get it how you live, you know?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 pm 

word association.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:10 am 

hey i got one more for the road. i've been on a vevo-sponsored "related videos" kick and i came across a good new/ish 50cent and eminem song called "my life". this sounds like what i'd imagine 50 rapped like before he started focusing on the business of selling records.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
hey i got one more for the road. i've been on a vevo-sponsored "related videos" kick and i came across a good new/ish 50cent and eminem song called "my life". this sounds like what i'd imagine 50 rapped like before he started focusing on the business of selling records.

I love 50 on the Til I Collapse remix with 2pac

I downloaded Kendrick Lamar the other day

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
rogers park bryan wrote:

what did you think

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 pm 

Bagels wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

what did you think

I liked about half of it a lot.

Half of it is infected with this generations version of production

Its good though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Well, you listened. That's the important thing.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 am 

Interesting take on Pharoahe

Maybe you missed the meaning? Usually people dont criticize him for lyrics, storytelling or meaning.

But you like what you like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:38 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Lyrics are my favorite part of music, I don't think I'm missing it.

What story is he telling? "I am angry grrr! They took our freedoms! We are all sick and dying and it is establishment-sponsored!"

Just...all of that as long as you ignore we, as Americans, are living more comfortably than any other human society has ever lived in the history of the planet.

I did, however, learn that Citizen Cope is still around. :P

Interesting take from a fan of emo music (whatever you call it)

Id suggest almost all music could be dismissed with "its not THAT bad"

Im no Pharoahe expert though. Im sure Sini will respond.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:18 pm 

obvious troll is obvious. what can i say?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:53 pm 

IMU its just that your opinion is pretty much the opposite of what most experts think

Pharoahe Monch is acclaimed for his complex rapping technique[1] - Allmusic says he has, "a reputation as one of underground hip hop's pre-eminent lyricists, crafting intricate and intelligent raps."[5]Kool Moe Dee ranks him at 26 in his best MCs of all time list, from his book, There's a God on the Mic.[6]Kool Moe Dee notes: "Pharoahe Monch is like an eloquent linguistics professor moonlighting as a rhyme serial killer terrorist, challenging the listeners' I.Q. while daring him or her to keep up."[6]Monch compares writing and recording his lyrics to writing and filming a movie - in the book How to Rap he says he will 'punch-in' vocals so he can "retake some things, just like a film",[7] and he 'rewrites' lyrics, saying he will "go back as a screenwriter and rewrite scenes and leave more to the imagination."[8]

And Mos Def seems to disagree vehemently

I'm not sure JMT Aesop and Most Def are telling a story more than most good rappers. Maybe those are the ones who happen to speak to you.

Anyway....to each their own

Who is better Most Def or Talib ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:

Doesn't matter. Together they are incredible...

(Talib Kweli)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:13 pm 

As expert as a hip hop reviewer can be

Yeah most of current popular rap is bad. But that's not unique to hip hop.

Gotta look to find the good stuff

Anyway I listen more to the 91-97 era

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:14 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Doesn't matter. Together they are incredible...

(Talib Kweli)

Best served with Common Sense

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
I don't think one can be an "expert" when it comes to musical tastes. If I cared to investigate it further...I'd look into what musical reviewers who don't only focus on rap music think. Rap lyrics don't branch out much...and touch many of the same subjects over and over.

I think current rap can all be broken down into two sub-categories:

1) Bitches & Scrilla
2) The "Struggle"

Give me something new, Pharoahe Monch. Hundred and twenty second verse, same as the first.

lol i struck a nerve earlier and got a proper fuck you, altho i'm pretty sure that wasn't legitimate rage from you as much as it was just your attempts to ratchet me up and get me raging into a ~6 paragraph reply.

it's long been established that you're not a fan of rap, ergo, your schtick is coming into a thread like this and doing your contrarian "imu thing" where you wanna be "the stir that straws the drink" or whatever permutation of the cliche insinuates suckage.

you're touching on a larger disconnect between your semi-/sheltered suburban existence and that of people who grew up in impoverished innercities and, using your term, talks about the "struggle." see, you've got "struggle" in quotes, and given that you've already spoke about how we as americans have the highest standards of living in human history, it's obvious that you chuckle at "them" when they talk about "their problems" because, ask scorehead or elmhurst steve, in "the land of plenty" the only reason that people can fail to achieve the lofty hot-hatched schaumburgian lifestyle is due to sheer lack of desire/drive/passion on their parts.

it's kind of like saying global warming doesn't exist because it's cold today where i live. i don't wish to delve off into a global warming thing cuz i'm pretty open to going tinfoil and talking about a heaping helping of hooey that ultimately heads to a new peasant tax that entails mandatory GPS devices on cars in order to take more money from people who have it, but that's neither here nor there.

whenever you trot out your well-manicured list of "good" or "acceptable" or better yet -- in the hopes of being worthy of being part of your signature, "obviously good because imu doesn't fuck around with anything but top shelf shit" -- you've gone out of way to always put some black guys in between listing aesop rock and atmosphere, clearly your favorite rap outfits. you don't want to be pigeonholed as, hiphoptastically speaking, a white supremacist, so you gotta get some black guys on there who bridge the gap between "conscious rap" and "commercial rap" (mos def and talib kweli. OMFG GUESS WHO LOVED THE BLACK STAR LP AT AN IMPRESSIONABLE AGE?!) however, as you are admittedly a clever boy, you know that merely listing those two upfront ad nauseum will potentially make you look shallow to the actual hiphopheads on here, so you've gotta go with a colloquial usage of "JMT" early on, as you don't want to merely list yourself as liking them... but so you're damn colloquial with them that they're JMT to you, whereas even a self-professed rap fan like me had to go look the acronym up cuz, honestly, it thought justin timberlake's middle initial was "M" when i first saw it.

i bet you sport wood when you see the equivalent of SABRmetric-level intellectual discussion of slug like this

Wikipedia wrote:
Slug raps in an introspective style, as seen on the song "Little Man", in which he confronts the complaints that people have about him by looking at his relationship with his father and son.[4] This introspective style has become less prevalent as of Atmosphere's 2008 album When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold in which Slug navigates through other people's lives.[4] Slug has stated that in and around the year of 2005, he began to move in a new direction lyrically as he became more aware of the effect his lyrics would have on kids, especially his own son who was becoming a teenager at the time.[5]

Slug also dislikes some of the songs that he wrote before and does not perform them live, such as "Vampires" from 2002 album God Loves Ugly.[6] Daley has stated: "[...] when I did get my phase of trying to figure myself out, there was a lot of tug-of-war inside of me between wanting to hate a particular woman and then feeling guilty about that. And there’s certain songs that I won’t perform anymore, because the game of tug-of-war is over and I know where I’m at.[7] Furthermore, Slug has criticised Atmosphere's debut album Overcast! saying: "It's obvious that I’m trying so fucking hard on Overcast and you can see through it and tell it's not a person it's more of an attempt at trying to fill the niche, it was like I was trying to prove to myself that I was a rapper."

well slap me silly and call me susan, whoever wrote that certainly has a far more academic outlook on rap as opposed to the "struggling" sort who wrote pharoahe monch's page, well, RPB quoted that... but it's not nearly as eloquent and efforted as whoever wrote sluggo's page. compare that with the paltry offerings on aceyalone's wikipedia page, and the irony is that acey is better than both pharoahe and sluggo:

acey's wikipedia page wrote:
After releasing To Whom It May Concern... and Innercity Griots with Myka 9, P.E.A.C.E. and Self Jupiter as Freestyle Fellowship, as well as Project Blowed compilation in 1994, Aceyalone signed to Capitol Records. He released the solo debut album, All Balls Don't Bounce, in 1995.[2] He returned three years later with his second album A Book of Human Language, a collaboration with producer Mumbles.[3]
His third solo album, Accepted Eclectic, was released in 2001.[4][5]
He released Hip Hop and the World We Live In in 2002[6] and Love & Hate in 2003.[7][8][9]
In 2006, Aceyalone released Magnificent City, a collaborative album with producer RJD2,[10][11] followed by the Grand Imperial mixtape.[12]
He has collaborated with producer Bionik on Lightning Strikes (2007) and Aceyalone & The Lonely Ones (2009).

WTF?!?! nobody sat down to talk about acey's influences or anything? dude he must be a simpleton.... i mean, aceyalone (and self jupiter) inherently lack the ability to 'tell stories' in their rap. acey was on a major label in 1995 and promptly bounced from it by trying to forcefeed the public crap like the greatest show on earth. damn simpleton. he's even got an LP cover in a shirt that says "the struggle continues" --- if he was truly on his game he woulda had "struggle" in the quotation marks cuz, duh, there is no struggle unless you're a goddamn idiot. essence precedes existence, right, or is that getting too philosophical? i should get back to my bitches and scrilla flow

argh, i told myself i wasn't gonna do this with you cuz i can see right through your schtick.... but at least the people who know what's what know i'm on point here. you're trolling us, and i take my hat off cuz like, if your goal was to get me out in front of this and rambling my ass off in a futile attempt to prove that i'm essentially more of a rapping bigot than you are cuz as opposed to your "rap sucks except for the stuff i've listed. try to prove me wrong and i'll make you look bad on the board" schtick you're trying to expose me as equally as close-minded and sweeping generalizing as you are by tricking me into saying "the rap i like is the best rap on the planet, and if you don't like the rap that i like you're a moron" and like, i do commend your point here... you are indeed making a point, yin and yang in terms of liking rap and not liking rap.... but like, if you're really gonna play the game where it's like LOL FUCK YOU I TRIED... TOO MUCH 808 IN THOSE BEATS, TOO MUCH STEREOTYPICAL CRAP ABOUT THE STRUGGLE. SLUG TELLS A STORY ABOUT GIRLS WITH TATTOOED HANDS EMBODYING THE ESSENCE OF THE FEMININE, BUT WHEN PHAROAHE TELLS A STORY OF BEING A BULLET IT'S JUST "STRUGGLE" CRAP AND BTW THERE IS NO STRUGGLE.

it's no surprise that you're going to relate more to a guy who looks like this:

than a guy who looks like this (pharoahe is to the right)

that's a picture of aesop rock (ian bavitz) from his high school yearbook in long island, and that's a picture of monch back in his ~90-91 organized konfusion days. and hey, there's nothing wrong with that.... aesop rock and sluggo have lived lives that are closer to yours... their experiences more closely resemble yours, and since you're not a wigger or caught up in afrocentricity as a form of escapism, white guilt, or whatever it is that makes a suburban white kid like me think that black culture can be so goddamn cool.... welp, i don't expect you to fancy the kind of rhymes that you'd hear at an impromptu blunt session / cipher at an urban playground basketball court in 1993.

i mean, that pharoahe monch show i was @ in jan 2012 was the best rap show i had been to in a long time. b-boy circles, stylish well-dressed men with their women... rappers coming up to you like OMFG it's snockal-piss whaddap dude hey [bouncer dude] this is my guy right here you shoulda seen him clown on kid static at his own damn show this guy's a genius ((psst hey imma find you in 30mins cuz we're gonna go around the corner and smoke a couple'a blunts... don't get lost)) and yeah, hey, the show was 95% black, which you often don't see save your 1) bitches and scrilla raps (and i can almost hear you spit-take when you use the term scrilla. well played) etc.... yeah, and hey, i've seen aceyalone ~7+ times or something, and like, even at my favorite aceyalone show in... 06? 08? the one with rjd2... the crowd was 95% white... i mean, in terms of underground or "conscious" hiphop you dont get as many black ppl at shows as you would at a bitches-n-scrilla show.... and see, that's where pharoahe comes in and i think that's why rpb/OKC others wanted you to try out pharoahe.... he's kind of like a bridge from "street raps" to "conscious raps" (funny typos to be made typing those) and while you're clearly gonna hold "bitches and scrilla" raps in contempt for, quite frankly (w/stephen A smith) being what they are.... the hope was that ingratiating you to the top shelf "street" shit would perhaps take you somewhere.

but hey, respect due for sticking to your guns and going out of your way to prove your point about everyone and their tastes being forced on you and whatnot... i mean, thats why i made my obvious troll is obvious post... it's clear to me that you're doing a bit here, and in the process you ARE making a very valid point about people forcing their tastes on other people.... that's something i've been guilty of for the longest time, as i try to usurp coolness via osmosis from my favorite music...

but like, still, the core fundamental issue is that since you've had a solid successful life with shiny chinese electronics and hot hatches and this and that, you're not game to hear about the "struggle" which, quite honestly, you don't believe exists as prevalently as it does. you could possibly be making a deeper point about the fundamentally disingenuous nature of rappers, people who make a living by making music, talking about a struggle that they no longer live in.... but it's where they came from, and without inviting another ginormous thread about innercity/ghetto issues and race relations in america relative to opportunities available to people based on socioeconomic/racial status (cuz seriously, this thread doesn't need elmhurst steve coming in and dropping more codewords like martin luthor king jr to show off to his people down with "the brand" aka the aryan brotherhood) it was basically their reality for a long time, and as such merely escaping that has provided a foundation for their music to rise from... i mean, just because we have high living standards does "the message" essentially have no meaning nowadays? or because it's a time of financial zeitgeist should we all be having smart clever fun by bumping fett's vette by mc chris?

long story short, basically, "hip hop culture is african and it ain't never going back to the fields" - aceyalone

so again, after all of the honestly-academic-if-anything-at-all exercise ^^^ up there ^^^ (i reckon you've "got me" if you go tl;dr or "i can't follow your logic) the point is this is prolly some debate club stuff where you're just trying to string us along and "beat" us in internet arguments that we can't possibly win, cuz as you've stated time and time again, you don't like rap. you've got your genetically-engineered list of rappers to namedrop in order to make you sound like you're knowledgeable about rap, but the truth is you are to rap what that I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE facebook page is to science. superficially related. maddox did an article on that, noting that people posting pics of a skeleton from biology class gets 40k likes, but someone posting a link to an article on actual hard science gets 400 likes. it's windowdressing, just like your list.

that's why i've officially changed my stance on "enlightening" you about rap... cuz you've already got your mind made up. having met you IRL @ a couple'a board functions, it's not like you're a raging blowhard douche or anything.... you just like arguing on the internet, and when the topic gets to be something as nebulous as internet taste, you like to hold out on imu island against the waves of people who try to flood you with groupthink. it's commendable.... but honestly, it's semantically a form of trolling whether or not you want to readily admit it.

so i respect where you're coming from and all of that, and i'm no longer gonna be like YO PEEP THIS OLD LATYRX CUT THE PRODUCTION BUMPS!!! (if the song "lady don't tek no" by latyrx doesn't do something for you then you don't like rap, period. #FACTS) or trying to get you into some of the stuff that works for me.... cuz #TRUTH is that like, you're not a fan of straightforward oldschool-in-nature rap/hiphop (same thing. dont get me started on that either... you cant hiphop into a microphone) cuz like, at its core i define rap as saying what people wish they could say in a way they never thought of saying it before. if you're not a fan of people talking about adversity that they faced growing up in a neighborhood you'll never spend more than ~10 minutes in save total accident, welp, what can i say other than WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS, YOU PAINT THAT SHIT GOLD. grow a soul path and catch an atmosphere show sometime and you'll have a ball going word for word with your hero, and hey if ~17-20 year old white suburban girls dont dig hot hatches then holy shit it's time to go eunuch, homey.

in other words, we'll agree to disagree.... but i'll sleep easy tonight knowing that i'm right. obvious troll is obvious.... THANK YOU, NEXT CALLER!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:58 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
So what your saying is he likes Robin Thicke,right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
So what your saying is he likes Robin Thicke,right?

LOL... that's a rather nice lob there, jimmy, but i ain't gonna set myself up in imu's internet debate club wheelhouse by jumping on that one. it'd honestly play into his hands to jump on some sort of a HURRR DURRRRR "YOUR MUSIC" IS GAY (AND SO ARE YOU) thing and quite honestly, he'd be right to properly pimpslap me for doing so.

like many inferences one could make, sure, in many cases something COULD be said about someone by virtue of the music they champion; but the whole point of my relatively-epic (lengthwise only) post was to say that imu is a pretty cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything and if you watch the progression of the thread on that last page you can see that he's setting all of us up to get into an argument that we can't possibly win, which is clearly his MO if you see the quotes he lugs around as a signature.

i think i set myself up by having a drinky+xanax night leading to those stupid cellphone WHERE MY NINJAZ AT?!!??! juggalo-themed posts, so when you ostensibly show a potential weakness to exploit this kind of stuff is bound to happen. but i'm not going to fall for it. while the concept of digipimping out music i <3 to people who haven't experienced the goodness is a natural thing to do in this contemporary cantankerous clone age of ours, if samuel L jackson taught me anything it is that there is such a thing called a pyrrhic victory, and it's not just a phrase used on the cover of uncanny x-men #280 (i believe, cuz i'm pretty sure it was used on one of the issues right around the series split @ #281 during the bishop storyline... maybe the ass-end of the muir island saga? someone stop me before i end up SHAKING THAT)

sure, maybe imu surrounds himself with ostensibly (word of the day) effeminate music. it wouldn't surprise me, but from the recon info i've gathered IRL i honestly don't think the dude's a flake or aflame or [insert sexuality-derisive-term-here]. if anything, it's prolly the equivalent of PEDs in the grand ole meatmarket that is human reproduction; maybe by soundtracking his life with the consummate works of whiny guys in nuthuggers he's able to relate to the hot-hatch crowd by letting the ladies know that, hey, hanging out with imu isn't all that different from hanging out @home, and the $$$ you'll save on batteries might just be enough to incorporate your own company that sells bright pink iphone cases with minnesota vikings logos on them?

long story short (the antithesis of me) i'm onto his grand plan to try and strike a captain morgan "foot on the barrel.... of life" pose on the whole "hip hop community" here by seemingly coming off like he's willing to expand his musical horizons, but really, he's just gonna nitpick whatever we toss at him and reiterate his talking points about his lackluster musical theory, cuz when your rap anima perennially starts off with aesop rock.... well there you go. dude's twitter handle is @aesopwins, if i'm not mistaken. given imu's proclivity to rampantly proclaim his correctness as publicly as he can, do you see a pattern emerging here, or do i need to watch the movie pi again to nick some better quotes?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
I don't think one can be an "expert" when it comes to musical tastes. If I cared to investigate it further...I'd look into what musical reviewers who don't only focus on rap music think. Rap lyrics don't branch out much...and touch many of the same subjects over and over.

I think current rap can all be broken down into two sub-categories:

1) Bitches & Scrilla
2) The "Struggle"

Give me something new, Pharoahe Monch. Hundred and twenty second verse, same as the first.

lol i struck a nerve earlier and got a proper fuck you, altho i'm pretty sure that wasn't legitimate rage from you as much as it was just your attempts to ratchet me up and get me raging into a ~6 paragraph reply.

it's long been established that you're not a fan of rap, ergo, your schtick is coming into a thread like this and doing your contrarian "imu thing" where you wanna be "the stir that straws the drink" or whatever permutation of the cliche insinuates suckage.

you're touching on a larger disconnect between your semi-/sheltered suburban existence and that of people who grew up in impoverished innercities and, using your term, talks about the "struggle." see, you've got "struggle" in quotes, and given that you've already spoke about how we as americans have the highest standards of living in human history, it's obvious that you chuckle at "them" when they talk about "their problems" because, ask scorehead or elmhurst steve, in "the land of plenty" the only reason that people can fail to achieve the lofty hot-hatched schaumburgian lifestyle is due to sheer lack of desire/drive/passion on their parts.

it's kind of like saying global warming doesn't exist because it's cold today where i live. i don't wish to delve off into a global warming thing cuz i'm pretty open to going tinfoil and talking about a heaping helping of hooey that ultimately heads to a new peasant tax that entails mandatory GPS devices on cars in order to take more money from people who have it, but that's neither here nor there.

whenever you trot out your well-manicured list of "good" or "acceptable" or better yet -- in the hopes of being worthy of being part of your signature, "obviously good because imu doesn't fuck around with anything but top shelf shit" -- you've gone out of way to always put some black guys in between listing aesop rock and atmosphere, clearly your favorite rap outfits. you don't want to be pigeonholed as, hiphoptastically speaking, a white supremacist, so you gotta get some black guys on there who bridge the gap between "conscious rap" and "commercial rap" (mos def and talib kweli. OMFG GUESS WHO LOVED THE BLACK STAR LP AT AN IMPRESSIONABLE AGE?!) however, as you are admittedly a clever boy, you know that merely listing those two upfront ad nauseum will potentially make you look shallow to the actual hiphopheads on here, so you've gotta go with a colloquial usage of "JMT" early on, as you don't want to merely list yourself as liking them... but so you're damn colloquial with them that they're JMT to you, whereas even a self-professed rap fan like me had to go look the acronym up cuz, honestly, it thought justin timberlake's middle initial was "M" when i first saw it.

i bet you sport wood when you see the equivalent of SABRmetric-level intellectual discussion of slug like this

Wikipedia wrote:
Slug raps in an introspective style, as seen on the song "Little Man", in which he confronts the complaints that people have about him by looking at his relationship with his father and son.[4] This introspective style has become less prevalent as of Atmosphere's 2008 album When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold in which Slug navigates through other people's lives.[4] Slug has stated that in and around the year of 2005, he began to move in a new direction lyrically as he became more aware of the effect his lyrics would have on kids, especially his own son who was becoming a teenager at the time.[5]

Slug also dislikes some of the songs that he wrote before and does not perform them live, such as "Vampires" from 2002 album God Loves Ugly.[6] Daley has stated: "[...] when I did get my phase of trying to figure myself out, there was a lot of tug-of-war inside of me between wanting to hate a particular woman and then feeling guilty about that. And there’s certain songs that I won’t perform anymore, because the game of tug-of-war is over and I know where I’m at.[7] Furthermore, Slug has criticised Atmosphere's debut album Overcast! saying: "It's obvious that I’m trying so fucking hard on Overcast and you can see through it and tell it's not a person it's more of an attempt at trying to fill the niche, it was like I was trying to prove to myself that I was a rapper."

well slap me silly and call me susan, whoever wrote that certainly has a far more academic outlook on rap as opposed to the "struggling" sort who wrote pharoahe monch's page, well, RPB quoted that... but it's not nearly as eloquent and efforted as whoever wrote sluggo's page. compare that with the paltry offerings on aceyalone's wikipedia page, and the irony is that acey is better than both pharoahe and sluggo:

acey's wikipedia page wrote:
After releasing To Whom It May Concern... and Innercity Griots with Myka 9, P.E.A.C.E. and Self Jupiter as Freestyle Fellowship, as well as Project Blowed compilation in 1994, Aceyalone signed to Capitol Records. He released the solo debut album, All Balls Don't Bounce, in 1995.[2] He returned three years later with his second album A Book of Human Language, a collaboration with producer Mumbles.[3]
His third solo album, Accepted Eclectic, was released in 2001.[4][5]
He released Hip Hop and the World We Live In in 2002[6] and Love & Hate in 2003.[7][8][9]
In 2006, Aceyalone released Magnificent City, a collaborative album with producer RJD2,[10][11] followed by the Grand Imperial mixtape.[12]
He has collaborated with producer Bionik on Lightning Strikes (2007) and Aceyalone & The Lonely Ones (2009).

WTF?!?! nobody sat down to talk about acey's influences or anything? dude he must be a simpleton.... i mean, aceyalone (and self jupiter) inherently lack the ability to 'tell stories' in their rap. acey was on a major label in 1995 and promptly bounced from it by trying to forcefeed the public crap like the greatest show on earth. damn simpleton. he's even got an LP cover in a shirt that says "the struggle continues" --- if he was truly on his game he woulda had "struggle" in the quotation marks cuz, duh, there is no struggle unless you're a goddamn idiot. essence precedes existence, right, or is that getting too philosophical? i should get back to my bitches and scrilla flow

argh, i told myself i wasn't gonna do this with you cuz i can see right through your schtick.... but at least the people who know what's what know i'm on point here. you're trolling us, and i take my hat off cuz like, if your goal was to get me out in front of this and rambling my ass off in a futile attempt to prove that i'm essentially more of a rapping bigot than you are cuz as opposed to your "rap sucks except for the stuff i've listed. try to prove me wrong and i'll make you look bad on the board" schtick you're trying to expose me as equally as close-minded and sweeping generalizing as you are by tricking me into saying "the rap i like is the best rap on the planet, and if you don't like the rap that i like you're a moron" and like, i do commend your point here... you are indeed making a point, yin and yang in terms of liking rap and not liking rap.... but like, if you're really gonna play the game where it's like LOL FUCK YOU I TRIED... TOO MUCH 808 IN THOSE BEATS, TOO MUCH STEREOTYPICAL CRAP ABOUT THE STRUGGLE. SLUG TELLS A STORY ABOUT GIRLS WITH TATTOOED HANDS EMBODYING THE ESSENCE OF THE FEMININE, BUT WHEN PHAROAHE TELLS A STORY OF BEING A BULLET IT'S JUST "STRUGGLE" CRAP AND BTW THERE IS NO STRUGGLE.

it's no surprise that you're going to relate more to a guy who looks like this:

than a guy who looks like this (pharoahe is to the right)

that's a picture of aesop rock (ian bavitz) from his high school yearbook in long island, and that's a picture of monch back in his ~90-91 organized konfusion days. and hey, there's nothing wrong with that.... aesop rock and sluggo have lived lives that are closer to yours... their experiences more closely resemble yours, and since you're not a wigger or caught up in afrocentricity as a form of escapism, white guilt, or whatever it is that makes a suburban white kid like me think that black culture can be so goddamn cool.... welp, i don't expect you to fancy the kind of rhymes that you'd hear at an impromptu blunt session / cipher at an urban playground basketball court in 1993.

i mean, that pharoahe monch show i was @ in jan 2012 was the best rap show i had been to in a long time. b-boy circles, stylish well-dressed men with their women... rappers coming up to you like OMFG it's snockal-piss whaddap dude hey [bouncer dude] this is my guy right here you shoulda seen him clown on kid static at his own damn show this guy's a genius ((psst hey imma find you in 30mins cuz we're gonna go around the corner and smoke a couple'a blunts... don't get lost)) and yeah, hey, the show was 95% black, which you often don't see save your 1) bitches and scrilla raps (and i can almost hear you spit-take when you use the term scrilla. well played) etc.... yeah, and hey, i've seen aceyalone ~7+ times or something, and like, even at my favorite aceyalone show in... 06? 08? the one with rjd2... the crowd was 95% white... i mean, in terms of underground or "conscious" hiphop you dont get as many black ppl at shows as you would at a bitches-n-scrilla show.... and see, that's where pharoahe comes in and i think that's why rpb/OKC others wanted you to try out pharoahe.... he's kind of like a bridge from "street raps" to "conscious raps" (funny typos to be made typing those) and while you're clearly gonna hold "bitches and scrilla" raps in contempt for, quite frankly (w/stephen A smith) being what they are.... the hope was that ingratiating you to the top shelf "street" shit would perhaps take you somewhere.

but hey, respect due for sticking to your guns and going out of your way to prove your point about everyone and their tastes being forced on you and whatnot... i mean, thats why i made my obvious troll is obvious post... it's clear to me that you're doing a bit here, and in the process you ARE making a very valid point about people forcing their tastes on other people.... that's something i've been guilty of for the longest time, as i try to usurp coolness via osmosis from my favorite music...

but like, still, the core fundamental issue is that since you've had a solid successful life with shiny chinese electronics and hot hatches and this and that, you're not game to hear about the "struggle" which, quite honestly, you don't believe exists as prevalently as it does. you could possibly be making a deeper point about the fundamentally disingenuous nature of rappers, people who make a living by making music, talking about a struggle that they no longer live in.... but it's where they came from, and without inviting another ginormous thread about innercity/ghetto issues and race relations in america relative to opportunities available to people based on socioeconomic/racial status (cuz seriously, this thread doesn't need elmhurst steve coming in and dropping more codewords like martin luthor king jr to show off to his people down with "the brand" aka the aryan brotherhood) it was basically their reality for a long time, and as such merely escaping that has provided a foundation for their music to rise from... i mean, just because we have high living standards does "the message" essentially have no meaning nowadays? or because it's a time of financial zeitgeist should we all be having smart clever fun by bumping fett's vette by mc chris?

long story short, basically, "hip hop culture is african and it ain't never going back to the fields" - aceyalone

so again, after all of the honestly-academic-if-anything-at-all exercise ^^^ up there ^^^ (i reckon you've "got me" if you go tl;dr or "i can't follow your logic) the point is this is prolly some debate club stuff where you're just trying to string us along and "beat" us in internet arguments that we can't possibly win, cuz as you've stated time and time again, you don't like rap. you've got your genetically-engineered list of rappers to namedrop in order to make you sound like you're knowledgeable about rap, but the truth is you are to rap what that I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE facebook page is to science. superficially related. maddox did an article on that, noting that people posting pics of a skeleton from biology class gets 40k likes, but someone posting a link to an article on actual hard science gets 400 likes. it's windowdressing, just like your list.

that's why i've officially changed my stance on "enlightening" you about rap... cuz you've already got your mind made up. having met you IRL @ a couple'a board functions, it's not like you're a raging blowhard douche or anything.... you just like arguing on the internet, and when the topic gets to be something as nebulous as internet taste, you like to hold out on imu island against the waves of people who try to flood you with groupthink. it's commendable.... but honestly, it's semantically a form of trolling whether or not you want to readily admit it.

so i respect where you're coming from and all of that, and i'm no longer gonna be like YO PEEP THIS OLD LATYRX CUT THE PRODUCTION BUMPS!!! (if the song "lady don't tek no" by latyrx doesn't do something for you then you don't like rap, period. #FACTS) or trying to get you into some of the stuff that works for me.... cuz #TRUTH is that like, you're not a fan of straightforward oldschool-in-nature rap/hiphop (same thing. dont get me started on that either... you cant hiphop into a microphone) cuz like, at its core i define rap as saying what people wish they could say in a way they never thought of saying it before. if you're not a fan of people talking about adversity that they faced growing up in a neighborhood you'll never spend more than ~10 minutes in save total accident, welp, what can i say other than WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS, YOU PAINT THAT SHIT GOLD. grow a soul path and catch an atmosphere show sometime and you'll have a ball going word for word with your hero, and hey if ~17-20 year old white suburban girls dont dig hot hatches then holy shit it's time to go eunuch, homey.

in other words, we'll agree to disagree.... but i'll sleep easy tonight knowing that i'm right. obvious troll is obvious.... THANK YOU, NEXT CALLER!

Great post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next