It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Ben tells us not to look at 10-6 but the entire nine-year career, 81-63, five winning seasons, an 8-8, two 7-9s and a 5-11.
Why is thia a no-brainer again?
This is a change for change's sake move -- pure and simple. How smart is that?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Smart IMO...Smith is a one trick pony...n one playoff appearance. In six seasons is a no brainier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
9 years and are the Bears any closer to a Super Bowl? GM was already fired. Lovie's time stamp is up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
What are your aspirations? To be "not bad" or an NFL juggernaut?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Peoria Matt wrote:
9 years and are the Bears any closer to a Super Bowl? GM was already fired. Lovie's time stamp is up.

3 po wins in 9 years? He's a "spinning the Wheels" type guy. He should be launched.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Yep, Lovie's head needs to roll.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:08 am 

What I find laughable is that on one hand the firing is described as a "no-brainer", but I know several members of this program questioned if Phil Emery could do this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
How many replacement assistants should one coach get to hire?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Brian's Mojito wrote:
What I find laughable is that on one hand the firing is described as a "no-brainer", but I know several members of this program questioned if Phil Emery could do this.

I firmly. Believe that if the vikes lose ...lovie is not fired...Emery has some pull, not total control.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Killer V wrote:

I think that says it all right there. At some point the top guy has to be responsible for his Babiches and Tices.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 am 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
I firmly. Believe that if the vikes lose ...lovie is not fired...

Not today anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Given the Bears past, how could you not question whether this was solely Emery's decision?

Maybe times have changed at Halas Hall.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
I firmly. Believe that if the vikes lose ...lovie is not fired...

Not today anyway.
:lol: He would have been fired but still allowed to coach the bowl game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:16 am 

Priceless stuff from Hub.
"Jay's been running the team". Really. If he's "running" the team, how do you explain the lack of committment to brining in talented O-linemen.
Later on, talk centered on how things can turn around quickly in the NFL. The Vikings came up but someone followed with "they have AP." Precisely.
All of the Lovie and Jay haters are out in force today. Fine. I would just appreciate some reasoned solutions to the situation. Still waiting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Brian's Mojito wrote:
"Jay's been running the team".

If that's true, Jay needs to be fired.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Lovie Smit's time was up. A lot of mediocrity, unfounded arrogance and blah. He was protected to the end by his cadre of Bears beat "reporters" and entrenched local media guys.

He had his shot, didn't do it, was given more chances and failed at those as well.

I guess for some on this board it is just fine and dandy to be a middle of the road, mediocre team that fails to do much of anything and never consistently threatens in the post-season. The Super Bowl was a long ass time ago, fellas.

Emery is the new GM so he will get his shot to succeed or fail. Let us just pray that his idea of "Succeed" is vastly different than some members of this boards idea of it.

Success = Winning the Super Bowl

Success =/= mediocrity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Brian's Mojito wrote:
"Jay's been running the team". Really. If he's "running" the team, how do you explain the lack of committment to brining in talented O-linemen.
Later on, talk centered on how things can turn around quickly in the NFL. The Vikings came up but someone followed with "they have AP." Precisely.
All of the Lovie and Jay haters are out in force today. Fine. I would just appreciate some reasoned solutions to the situation. Still waiting.

I will take whatever Flub Blarkesh says with a huge grain of salt.

ThatGuy is on the outside looking in when it comes to "inside" info.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:19 am 

Killer V wrote:

There's a point I have a hard time arguing against.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:21 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Given the Bears past, how could you not question whether this was solely Emery's decision?

Maybe times have changed at Halas Hall.

I believe Angelo's firing signaled that change.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:22 am 

Brian's Mojito wrote:
The solution is to start over and go a different direction. Jay gets one more year to prove himself unless some team is willing to overpay for him.

Not making changes because you are afraid that the changes might not work out doesn't work out well. You don't think the Eagles wish they had made a change earlier?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
Lovie Smit's time was up. A lot of mediocrity, unfounded arrogance and blah. He was protected to the end by his cadre of Bears beat "reporters" and entrenched local media guys.

He had his shot, didn't do it, was given more chances and failed at those as well.

I guess for some on this board it is just fine and dandy to be a middle of the road, mediocre team that fails to do much of anything and never consistently threatens in the post-season. The Super Bowl was a long ass time ago, fellas.

Emery is the new GM so he will get his shot to succeed or fail. Let us just pray that his idea of "Succeed" is vastly different than some members of this boards idea of it.

Success = Winning the Super Bowl

Success =/= mediocrity.

Settling for mediocrity has never been my point. Doing things with a plan in mind -- not doing things for change's sake -- has been my mantra.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Taco Bell Mexican Pizza...mmmmm
Lovie had been here too long. The players were too comfortable with him, which was evident by the fact that they all LOVED him so much. This team has been the epitome of slightly above mediocre under his tenure. Even back to the Superbowl year they were the team "we thought they were".

And his vaunted defense was passive just like him - a defense that makes plays off of opponents mistakes. This is good against average to below average teams because they make lots of mistakes, but it's a very poor formula when defending good teams that don't make those mistakes. What happens is they just march down the field, albeit in 10 plays rather than 5. Could this be one reason his record against good teams sucks? You bet your ass it is.

Now I just wonder how Zack Zaidman, Lovie's dick piece...or rather mouth piece will react. Last night he could barely talk because he had Lovie's kielbasa wedged against his uvula.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:33 am 

No Dougie is spouting for the next "?" as the new head coach. Wasn't that the part of the rallying cry against Lovie -- inexperiences as a head coach in the NFL. Does the opinion change if the guy has a offensive background.
Who's to say the team gets a reverse Lovie, where the offensive thrives but the defense hovers around mediocrity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:36 am 

Brian's Mojito wrote:
Who's to say the team gets a reverse Lovie, where the offensive thrives but the defense hovers around mediocrity.
That is the hope. That is how you win Super Bowls.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Brian's Mojito wrote:
The solution is to start over and go a different direction. Jay gets one more year to prove himself unless some team is willing to overpay for him.

Not making changes because you are afraid that the changes might not work out doesn't work out well. You don't think the Eagles wish they had made a change earlier?

Jay is signed for one more season, so make him play for a new contract. Doesn't appear to the thought of some here and guys like Hub. Remember, Hub is the one who talked about a draft-pick trade for Cutler then said there was no QB he'd like to take with the high pick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
FloydGondolli wrote:
Now I just wonder how Zack Zaidman, Lovie's dick piece...or rather mouth piece will react. Last night he could barely talk because he had Lovie's kielbasa wedged against his uvula.

oh yeah, when he was on with laurence last night he was tossing out all of these arbitrary winning %s.... something like .673.... i have no idea what it was for, but zach was all "CAN YOU FIND SOMEONE BETTER THAN .673???"

i get it tho, zach is partially/directly employed by the bears and thus he's gotta try and tow "the company line" cuz let's be honest here, if we were zach zaidman, would we fuck up a cushy for-life-if-we-want-it gig just to get some "cred" with the audience / msgboard cretins? i'll give him that much.... but i'll also say that i'd much prefer if laurence was back to working the beat for the score. sure he kisses some player ass, but he was always a better bears "beat reporter" than zach zaidman, who btw the quotation marks are for.

that said.... brave new world, eh? this is the first time ever that "bernstein and mcknight" will be appointment radio, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:43 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Brian's Mojito wrote:

That's maybe how you might get to a Super Bowl, certainly not how you win it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:44 am 

Brian's Mojito wrote:
Jay is signed for one more season, so make him play for a new contract. Doesn't appear to the thought of some here and guys like Hub. Remember, Hub is the one who talked about a draft-pick trade for Cutler then said there was no QB he'd like to take with the high pick.
The Bears would be stupid not to listen to offers, even if they don't draft a QB in round one.

It's not impossible to find a new QB in the offseason. 5 NFL teams did it and made the playoffs this year(counting Kapernick who is actually a second year player).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Taco Bell Mexican Pizza...mmmmm
sinicalypse wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:
but i'll also say that i'd much prefer if laurence was back to working the beat for the score. sure he kisses some player ass, but he was always a better bears "beat reporter" than zach zaidman, who btw the quotation marks are for.

I agree. As much as I don't like Laurence (Larry), he is MUCH better covering the Bears than Zack. He doesn't kiss their ass in a disgusting way that Zack does, and I honestly can't remember Zack ever breaking any news with the Bears or delivering some type of useful info. He just reads the company PR sheet. But let's be clear, ZZ is not a reporter and he has ZERO credibility in covering the Bears. Respectable reporters don't want to suck anyone's teet and they like to go against the grain to get their story - it's in their blood and DNA.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:26 pm 

Brian's Mojito wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Brian's Mojito wrote:

That's maybe how you might get to a Super Bowl, certainly not how you win it.
More often than not, the Super Bowl winning QB has thrown for a lot of yards in the regular season. The only recent exceptions to this was the first one Eli won and what Big Ben has done.

Even the Giants last year had Eli have a monster year.