It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
312player wrote:
Not a fan of eagles, but this was good...few observations ...

Henley is extremely talented dude n likable.
Walsh is good guitar player n awful Singer..but likable.
Glen Frey is a huge douche..same with Don fielder.

I like Walsh's voice, in limited quantities.

Frey certainly came off as a doucheasaurus in the Felder segment...would also say borderline douche when talking about Walsh's addictions. Didn't really ever feel like Felder was a douche in this...though I'm sure he acted like it a few times off camera.

Not sure how sincere he was when he said he "missed the friendship" and then walked off the set. I'm guessing it's more like what my gf said..."he misses those massive paychecks".

312player wrote:
And Henley should have made 90% n the others chop the remaining ten %.

I thought I was the biggest Henley fan here but I may have to rethink that. No way Henley is deserving of that large a chunk. I understand him and Frey getting a larger chunk (and apparently Walsh and Tim do as well) but no way either of them are deserving of that much. You are greatly underestimating the contributions the others (especially Frey) made to the band.

To look at it another way, if the Eagles started a tour tomorrow, they'd be selling out arenas, at the very least. If Henley started a tour tomorrow, he'd be lucky to sell out theaters.

Oh, and random thought, but I loved the little bit where they talked to Steuart Smith at the end...really love his playing and liked hearing about his collaborations on the new album.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I was exaggerating but I thought it was weird that Frey insisted on a bigger cut for him n Henley ...I doubt Henley would have made any demands....and Henley is the biggest draw.
his solo career was successful ...the other guys not so much...Frey just came off as a giant turd....I never realized how talented Henley really was.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 pm 

312player wrote:
I was exaggerating but I thought it was weird that Frey insisted on a bigger cut for him n Henley ...I doubt Henley would have made any demands....and Henley is the biggest draw.
his solo career was successful ...the other guys not so much...Frey just came off as a giant turd....I never realized how talented Henley really was.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Henley was at the very least whispering in Irving Azoff's ear to get him and Glenn a bigger cut than the other guys. Frey is probably just much more outspoken about it.

And rightfully so. Don Henley and Glenn Frey are the Eagles. Walsh, Schmidt and Felder were all either replacements or additions and in the case of Felder, it was shown that they too can be replaced if necessary. If Henley or Frey walk, the group loses much of it's appeal.

As for the talent of Don Henley, I'm not sure what this documentary showed you that made you suddenly discover his "talents." He's a hell of a songwriter and has an amazing voice. If you agree with those two statements, I don't think it took this to persaude you. Outside of that, he's a pedestrian drummer, plays the occasional guitar bured in the mix so low that you can't pick it out, and...wait for it...plays the best back-of-the-acoustic guitar I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 am 

Nah, it was more like I have always changed the station quickly when the eagles come on ..not a fan, but I never did realize Henley has a good voice...the drums,guitar n song writing were just the cherry on top.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Keeping Score wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
I decided to get listy after all. :drunken:

Top 10 of the '70's:

Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Black Sabbath
Fleetwood Mac
Queen
Elton John
Olivia Newton John
Eagles
The Who

:lol:

Not funny because it's a bad choice (which it isn't) but funny because you have the stones to admit it. :salut:

That's actually a great list. I'd consider adding Bowie, Supertramp, AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, The Doobie Bros. & Alice Cooper.

Damn, forgot about AC/DC. :oops: They need to be on my list, not sure who I would take off.

I really wanted to include Styx. I know most people wouldn't feel that way, but I was an immense Styx fan.

Pieces of Eight was a good album and became my go to album to clean doobage.

:D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
badrogue17 wrote:
Didnt think saying the Eagles were arguably the best band of the 70's to be such a stretch. Lot of people would agree with that.
I like some Eagles stuff, but they are nowhere near the best band of the 70's. They aren't even the best LA Band of the 70's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Go on you tube and check out the BBC 4 documentary. "Hotel California-From the Byrds to the Eagles". Somebody posted it in 4 parts. Good watch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:46 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Didnt think saying the Eagles were arguably the best band of the 70's to be such a stretch. Lot of people would agree with that.
I like some Eagles stuff, but they are nowhere near the best band of the 70's. They aren't even the best LA Band of the 70's

I know its not a true indicator of "best" considering its way too subjective to speak in absolutes but with their greatest hits 71 - 75 being the top selling album of all time I dont think its a stretch to say that some of the 29 million people who have bought the album think that they were the best band of the 70's. :|

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 pm 
badrogue17 wrote:
I know its not a true indicator of "best" considering its way too subjective to speak in absolutes but with their greatest hits 71 - 75 being the top selling album of all time I dont think its a stretch to say that some of the 29 million people who have bought the album think that they were the best band of the 70's. :|

I think Thriller, Back In Black, Dark Side of the Moon, The Bodygurad soundtrack, Bad, and Bat Out Of Hell might disagree with that statement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Baby McNown wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I think Thriller, Back In Black, Dark Side of the Moon, The Bodygurad soundtrack, Bad, and Bat Out Of Hell might disagree with that statement.

Who gives a fuck, the album still sold a shit load of copies. According to Wiki it is # 7 all time with 32.2 certifiable sales and 42 million in claimed sales. Total sales of all Eagles albums hovers around 125 cert. and 150 million claimed.

With numbers like those I think Brogue's point stands.

I can't believe I'm even posting in this thread, I don't even like the Eagles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Who gives a fuck, the album still sold a shit load of copies. According to Wiki it is # 7 all time with 32.2 certifiable sales and 42 million in claimed sales. Total sales of all Eagles albums hovers around 125 cert. and 150 million claimed.

How 'bout Styx?

I'm hot and cold on them.

My buddy partied at Dennis DeYoung's place in high school. Dennis had a kid that went to Lincoln Way, father Styx had left for the weekend and chaos reigned.

He told me that one of the bedrooms has a giant bed in in the form of a sail boat and stuff. Gold records all over the house...my pal got blitzed and tracked mud all over the nice white carpets.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:02 pm 
SomeGuy wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

So you're saying Zeppelin 4 is the best selling album of all time? It has almost as many certifiable sales (off your very same list)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:14 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

So you're saying Zeppelin 4 is the best selling album of all time? It has almost as many certifiable sales (off your very same list)

No. I said that The Eagles Greatest Hits (according to Wiki) is the #7 selling album of all time and listed 2 separate sales totals.

After looking around:

The claimed figured are sourced to articles that use the term records (singles, albums, videos) and not albums. However, if all available sources for an artist/band say albums, such sources can only be used if the certified album units of the said artist meet the required percentage amount. Note that this list uses claimed figures that are closer to artists' available certified sales. In other words, inflated claimed figures that will meet the required certified sales amount but are unrealistically high from available certified sales, will not be used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Baby McNown wrote:

But you like Bon Jovi?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

People that buy "Greatest Hits" or "Best Of" albums are the worst music fans on the planet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 am 

You are a fucking Idiot, why are the worst kind of fans?
When you burn a CD of a band off your computer of all your favorites ...that is essentially a greatest hits of said band...before people had that technology ...buying a greatest hits was as close as they could get.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Douchebag wrote:
People that buy "Greatest Hits" or "Best Of" albums are the worst music fans on the planet.

The Greatest Hits albums for Tom Petty and The Cars are must-haves more than any of their individual albums.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 am 

Agreed...I have both

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Douchebag wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I'd have to slightly disagree with you on this. I have a few Greatest Hits discs from groups like ELO,
Van Morrison, Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel and Frank Sinatra. I am not a huge fan of those acts
but like them enough to want to have some of their better material on hand if I wanted to listen to it.
Just a convenience thing for me I guess. Do you seriously not own any greatest hits albums?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I'm going to go ahead and agree...there are quite a few acts where the greatest hits collection is more than sufficient to have on hand...The Eagles fall squarely into that category.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
If anyone finds a torrent, please post it here...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
The Eagles are terrible. Greatest Hits albums are terrible. Give me some Bee Gees or the Clash. Neil Young. James Brown, Roxy Music, The Who, Big Star, Bowie, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Paycheck, Sabbath, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Zeppelin, The Boss, Ramones, Blondie....

The Eagles wouldn't make the top 100 "best" bands. Now, in terms of making money, they stack up there with the greatest of all times....Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Phil Collins.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Having a greatest hits album doesn't make you a bad or a good fan.

If all you have is a greatest hits album, however, you certainly cannot honestly say that they are one of your favorite bands.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Doesn't pretty much everyone own Bob Marley's "Legend"?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:46 pm 

So...anyone want to talk about this documentary, or are we just going to keep shitting on everyone's musical tastes for 5 more pages?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Can't we do both?

The Long Run was my jam sophomore year of college.

Hi Lipid!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Douchebag is a purist and is obviously baiting...and getting hits to boot.

I want to see it as i am fascinated with this type of stuff. The recent Marley doc is a much watch, btw. Just picked up Pete Townsend's biography as well.

As far as greatest hits albums, i have two.
Aerosmith and The Pumpkins.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:00 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:

Yes, I am baiting, but there is truth behind my comments. I'm not going to say I don't own any Greatest Hits albums, but I wouldn't consider an owner of a greatest hits album a fan of any band, at least not a fan a band is looking to attract. An album is a work of art. Cutting it up and making a collage of different works of art is not necessarily a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:

Yes, I am baiting, but there is truth behind my comments. I'm not going to say I don't own any Greatest Hits albums, but I wouldn't consider an owner of a greatest hits album a fan of any band, at least not a fan a band is looking to attract. An album is a work of art. Cutting it up and making a collage of different works of art is not necessarily a good thing.

Ok, so, my favorite band is U2. I have all the albums, the War/AB/JoshuaTree remastered box sets, a whole bunch of bootlegs, books, posters, DVD's and I've seen every tour since Pop.....I also own both of their "Decade" collections.....am I not a fan of the band?