It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:04 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
Douchebag is a purist and is obviously baiting...and getting hits to boot.

Yes, I am baiting, but there is truth behind my comments. I'm not going to say I don't own any Greatest Hits albums, but I wouldn't consider an owner of a greatest hits album a fan of any band, at least not a fan a band is looking to attract. An album is a work of art. Cutting it up and making a collage of different works of art is not necessarily a good thing.

Ok, so, my favorite band is U2. I have all the albums, the War/AB/JoshuaTree remastered box sets, a whole bunch of bootlegs, books, posters, DVD's and I've seen every tour since Pop.....I also own both of their "Decade" collections.....am I not a fan of the band?

I'm more talking about people who only own Greatest Hits albums.

If you own the entire catalog, why would you even need to buy a "Decade" collection?

Last edited by Douchebag on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Douchebag wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Douchebag is a purist and is obviously baiting...and getting hits to boot.

Yes, I am baiting, but there is truth behind my comments. I'm not going to say I don't own any Greatest Hits albums, but I wouldn't consider an owner of a greatest hits album a fan of any band, at least not a fan a band is looking to attract. An album is a work of art. Cutting it up and making a collage of different works of art is not necessarily a good thing.

Ok, so, my favorite band is U2. I have all the albums, the War/AB/JoshuaTree remastered box sets, a whole bunch of bootlegs, books, posters, DVD's and I've seen every tour since Pop.....I also own both of their "Decade" collections.....am I not a fan of the band?

I'm more talk about people who only own Greatest Hits albums.

If you own the entire catalog, why would you even need to buy a "Decade" collection?

I got them because I didn't have a 30 disc changer in my car for all the material, plus they each came with a decent disc of cuts/B-sides/covers etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Which is the same reason why i have been buying all the Pumpkins reissues...for the b-sides and remasters.

I agree tho, if you only have a greatest hits album, your overall fandom gets reduced in my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:16 pm 

Which is the same reason why i have been buying all the Pumpkins reissues...for the b-sides and remasters.

I agree tho, if you only have a greatest hits album, your overall fandom gets reduced in my eyes.

I agree with this for the most part as I don't see how it's possible to be a "die hard" fan and only know 15 songs or so. In my travels I have only met a few people that have proclaimed their rabid fandom while only owning a greatest hits album or whatever.

A Person - "Oh, dude, I totally love that bad! They have to be one of my favorites!"

SomeGuy - "Cool, broski! What albums of theirs do you got?"

A Person - "Oh, I got the greatest hits album, dudeski!"

SomeGuy - :shock: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:18 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:

I agree with this for the most part as I don't see how it's possible to be a "die hard" fan and only know 15 songs or so. In my travels I have only met a few people that have proclaimed their rabid fandom while only owning a greatest hits album or whatever.

A Person - "Oh, dude, I totally love that bad! They have to be one of my favorites!"

And you know that at least 80% of the 30+ million people who have bought the Eagles Greatest hits collection have never owned an Eagles album at any time of their life. Just bad music fans, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:21 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

And you know that at least 80% of the 30+ million people who have bought the Eagles Greatest hits collection have never owned an Eagles album at any time of their life. Just bad music fans, IMO.

They bought the album for Hotel California, Take It Easy, Already Gone, Desperado and Take It to the Limit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Doesn't pretty much everyone own Bob Marley's "Legend"?

Nope.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
SomeGuy wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

They bought the album for Hotel California, Take It Easy, Already Gone, Desperado and Take It to the Limit.

Would just like to point out that the "Greatest Hits" album in question...the one that sold 27 plus million copies, is from 1972 to 1975...no Hotel California tracks...

...and last I looked, at least 11 million copies of that album were sold...so I'm going to disagree on the "at least 80%" theory.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Hypothesis...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:46 pm 

Hypothesis...

meh...

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

That and Jimmy Buffet's greatest hits.

Not a big Eagle fan, but I'm a sucker for a good rock doc. I'll check it out.

I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest over greatest bands of the 70's, but here I ten bands I would rather listen to than The Eagles:

1. AC/DC
2. Aerosmith
3. Van Halen
4. The Clash
5. The Police
6. Motörhead
7. Thin Lizzy
8. Diamond Head
9. Judas Priest
10. Rush

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Dallas Winston wrote:
ten bands I would rather listen to than The Eagles:

1. AC/DC
2. Aerosmith
3. Van Halen
4. The Clash
5. The Police
6. Motörhead
7. Thin Lizzy
8. Diamond Head
9. Judas Priest
10. Rush

Oh my god, you're a human hockey game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:37 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Henley came off just as weird and touchy-feely as I would have predicted but much more down-to-earth than I thought he would. I was surprised that he just wanted to get back to the band considering he was the most successful of the solo acts. He just seems like he's walking around in his own little world but not bothering anybody.

Frey was the raging egomaniac. But, I imagine that's what it takes to achieve and maintain a leadership position in a prominent band with only some songwriting skills and no distinctive musical talent. I still like the guy though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:54 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Henley came off just as weird and touchy-feely as I would have predicted but much more down-to-earth than I thought he would. I was surprised that he just wanted to get back to the band considering he was the most successful of the solo acts. He just seems like he's walking around in his own little world but not bothering anybody.

Frey was the raging egomaniac. But, I imagine that's what it takes to achieve and maintain a leadership position in a prominent band with only some songwriting skills and no distinctive musical talent. I still like the guy though.

I'm guessing Henley's eagerness to get back with the band may have had something to do with his dispute with Geffen and his lack of desire to record any more solo records for him (thus giving us Actual Miles to end his contract).

Funny you say that about Frey. His is the name you seem to see when it comes to "executive producer" of various things the band is involved in, which I find odd since it really seems to be at best a 50/50 effort between him and Don.

Although I guess he did singlehandedly win the bands most recent Grammy for them with "I Dreamed There Was No War"...so he has that going for him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Havent seen the doc yet but based on that youtube thing from the Byrds to the Eagles, Geffen seemed like a pretty cool dude to have as a producer. No contracts with the bands. Unheard of.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
badrogue17 wrote:
Havent seen the doc yet but based on that youtube thing from the Byrds to the Eagles, Geffen seemed like a pretty cool dude to have as a producer. No contracts with the bands. Unheard of.

The Eagles doc had a different opinion on that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Dallas Winston wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

That and Jimmy Buffet's greatest hits.

Not a big Eagle fan, but I'm a sucker for a good rock doc. I'll check it out.

I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest over greatest bands of the 70's, but here I ten bands I would rather listen to than The Eagles:

1. AC/DC
2. Aerosmith
3. Van Halen
4. The Clash
5. The Police
6. Motörhead
7. Thin Lizzy
8. Diamond Head
9. Judas Priest
10. Rush

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I keep forgetting to check this out on demand. Maybe this weekend. Never been an Eagles fan
but don't have the same level of vitriol as others do for them. More on a level of indifference.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Excellent documentary if you haven't seen it.

RIP Glenn Frey.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:11 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Outside of that, he's a pedestrian drummer, plays the occasional guitar bured in the mix so low that you can't pick it out, and...wait for it...plays the best back-of-the-acoustic guitar I've ever seen.

I just started watching "Hell Freezes Over" and was reminded of this very quickly. :lol: