It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
In the RevoLooptionized B&B thread, I mentioned that I don't get the big deal about the Stones. In terms of sonority, I find them generally tinny and boring, they've rarely had anything interesting to say, Jagger's shitty vocals without his chicken walk and assorted theatrics are just shitty vocals, and when you get right down to it, they never had any big ideas that the Beatles or Led Zeppelin didn't do better. Bearing this in mind, I still love "Gimme Shelter" and "Ruby Tuesday," and don't entirely mind "Sympathy for the Devil." I just don't understand what makes this band any good, other than sheer longevity.

ITT beat up on me for not liking a sacred classic rock band.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:10 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I'm not a fan of the Stones either. No thanks.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Count me in. Outside of couple songs Ive never understood the big deal made over these guys.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
In the RevoLooptionized B&B thread, I mentioned that I don't get the big deal about the Stones. In terms of sonority, I find them generally tinny and boring, they've rarely had anything interesting to say, Jagger's shitty vocals without his chicken walk and assorted theatrics are just shitty vocals, and when you get right down to it, they never had any big ideas that the Beatles or Led Zeppelin didn't do better. Bearing this in mind, I still love "Gimme Shelter" and "Ruby Tuesday," and don't entirely mind "Sympathy for the Devil." I just don't understand what makes this band any good, other than sheer longevity.

The Stones really are a blues band. Zeppelin played the blues too, but in a completely bombastic re-imagined way, while the Stones remained much more closely rooted in the original form.

I understand the importance of the Beatles, but that would be the band of the three you mentioned that I don't care for much. It's a bunch of overproduced nursery rhymes.

And while it's true that the Stones often followed trends rather than creating them, e.g. the disco stuff on Some Girls, the Mick Taylor era was the perfect distillation of a modern, decadent blues style. The blues as played by rock stars. Very meta.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:33 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

ITT beat up on me for not liking a sacred classic rock band.

Yeah, Gimme Shelter might be the best rock song ever.

And the rest is good. The Beatles certainly did NOT do anything the Stones did better. The Stones are a simple but awesome rock band.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:35 am 

I like The Stones, but everything post Exile On Main St. is complete garbage.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:

Some Girls is a great record. And I think that the more recent Stones simply suffer in comparison to their best work. For example, if Tattoo You were a My Morning Jacket record, it would be the best My Morning Jacket record.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:44 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Some Girls is a great record. And I think that the more recent Stones simply suffer in comparison to their best work. For example, if Tattoo You were a My Morning Jacket record, it would be the best My Morning Jacket record.

Start Me Up might be the worst rock song ever written. When I hear it it almost makes me want to hate the part of their catalog that is actually good. It's that bad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Start Me Up might be the worst rock song ever written.

Come on, Douchebag! You don't like the song, okay, but you have to admit that's hyperbole. "Start Me Up" is better than the entire Meatloaf canon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Start Me Up might be the worst rock song ever written. When I hear it it almost makes me want to hate the part of their catalog that is actually good. It's that bad.

Satisfaction. Most overrated song of all time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Kirkwood wrote:

It might be the greatest rock song of all time. "Satisfaction" is rock and roll.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

That's crazy talk. Tattoo You is worse than every MMJ record.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:52 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

It might be the greatest rock song of all time. "Satisfaction" is rock and roll.

Hence my declaration it's the most overrated song ever since its even in the conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:53 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
The Beatles are overproduced? 80% of their albums have the sound quality of a fog horn in a metal garbage can being thrown off the Empire State Building.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:56 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

You're crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:58 am 

You can also add Shattered to my worst songs ever list. The Stones produced a bunch of crap in the 80's.

Whoever said Satisfaction is overrated is 312player dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:02 am 

Douchebag wrote:
You can also add Shattered to my worst songs ever list. The Stones produced a bunch of crap in the 80's.

Another crazy statement.

You dont hate those songs. You probably just associate uncool with those two songs for some reason.

I cant believe you are ripping Shattered and Start Me Up with some of the music you listen to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
The best Rolling Stones song: http://youtu.be/bwAw9ThDQmk

The correct answer to "Beatles or Stones?": http://youtu.be/KXaO3zgaf5Q

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:07 am 

Douchebag wrote:

Satisfaction is in the conversation of greatest rock song of all time. Not even the best Stones song. Therefore, over...rated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Satisfaction is overplayed, not overrated.

Shattered is indeed fuckin terrible.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:14 am 

Shattered was used in The Fan. It worked well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:15 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I cant believe you are ripping Shattered and Start Me Up with some of the music you listen to.

It definitely doesn't hold a candle to Cinderella. :wink:

Last edited by Douchebag on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:18 am 

Douchebag wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Its definitely doesn't hold a candle to Cinderella. :wink:

:lol: Im trying to insult you here...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Douchebag wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:20 am 

Zeppelin
Stones
The Who
Beatles

In THAT order

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Zeppelin
Stones
The Who
Beatles

In THAT order

I've gone through phases of really liking all of them at different times. Your order is pretty solid though.

Last edited by Douchebag on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

The Stones really are a blues band. Zeppelin played the blues too, but in a completely bombastic re-imagined way, while the Stones remained much more closely rooted in the original form.

I understand the importance of the Beatles, but that would be the band of the three you mentioned that I don't care for much. It's a bunch of overproduced nursery rhymes.

And while it's true that the Stones often followed trends rather than creating them, e.g. the disco stuff on Some Girls, the nut Taylor era was the perfect distillation of a modern, decadent blues style. The blues as played by rock stars. Very meta.

Also, this.

+1 on Some Girls, too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

And while it's true that the Stones often followed trends rather than creating them, e.g. the disco stuff on Some Girls, the nut Taylor era was the perfect distillation of a modern, decadent blues style. The blues as played by rock stars. Very meta.

Also, this.

+1 on Some Girls, too.

Yes, I agree.

The Ronnie Wood-era was the end of The Rolling Stones, in my opinion. They still put out some decent stuff and even some really good stuff but they would never have the streak of excellent stuff like they did from Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street. Those, in my opinion, are their best and some of the best music ever put to record. They started their decline on Goat Heads Soup and totally crashed with Steel Wheels. Vodoo Lounge was OK at best and I will admit that I liked a lot of stuff of Bridges to Babylon but that's about that.

Actually, it may have been more "the well has run dry" than a change in guitarists or it may have been both. But they charged ahead....for the worse. Just look at Dirty Work.

For me, The Rolling Stones stopped being the The Rolling Stones after Some Girls and became a band that thought they were doing a really good job playing The Rolling Stones music. It became paint by numbers, songs that sounded like they locked Keith Richards in a bathroom with a bag of coke and a needle of smack and said they weren't letting him out until he wrote a song.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:10 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
what amazes me most about the Beatles is that when you go through all of their albums, you can hear the amount influence they have had on artists that have followed them. they were copied by everyone and it still continues today.

go ahead...write a chord progression using standard chord shapes that is both "musical" and pleasing to the ear....Beatles did it already.

when I read about bands and artists, they will reference "Jimmy" or "Keith" or "Pete"...very rarely is it the full band name, unless it is the Beatles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next