It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Part of the problem I have with the Stones is that I was raised on my dad's old funk/soul records (seeing Tower of Power in a few weeks!) and then later B96 music circa 1993-1996. So basically, not unlike the snakes in "Whacking Day," I need bass frequencies. "Let's Spend the Night Together," among so many other Stones songs, has the audio properties of a saltine cracker: thin, dry, prone to breaking in half. "Gimme Shelter" is one of the only times they fill out the bottom end.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Curious Hair wrote:
Part of the problem I have with the Stones is that I was raised on my dad's old funk/soul records (seeing Tower of Power in a few weeks!) and then later B96 music circa 1993-1996. So basically, not unlike the snakes in "Whacking Day," I need bass frequencies. "Let's Spend the Night Together," among so many other Stones songs, has the audio properties of a saltine cracker: thin, dry, prone to breaking in half. "Gimme Shelter" is one of the only times they fill out the bottom end.

You must hate And Justice For All

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:42 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

You know, that's precisely why I don't get into much metal, and I've had this conversation with several other people! Metal is all treble/midrange. There's no richness to it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Phil McCracken wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

now see...that's true! Also, a lot of Ozzie's early stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Phil McCracken wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Ugh, that's right....the bass in that is non-existent. Sometimes I wonder if those fuck heads did it to Newsted on purpose.

Still a great album.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Curious Hair wrote:
"Gimme Shelter" is one of the only times they fill out the bottom end.

somebody posted this here once before, maybe rents? Apologai to the original author, but still a fun little thingy.

http://quoperative.com/gimmeshelter/

edit: damn. Stones must have threatened to sue. It was totally cool as the site allowed you to pull out each instrument/singer.

Last edited by beni hanna on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 pm 

Does anyone else know of, and like, Neil Hamburger? His bit was that he was the world's worst stand-up comic. Sounds like a pretty basic concept, and, well, it is, but it was all in the execution. Seek out America's Funnyman.

Anyway, the best part is when he does the whole cliched bit about how this is a live album, so make yourselves heard, and everyone does, but one guy goes right up to the mic and yells "METALLICA!!!! MET-ALL-IC-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!" into the mic so loud that it distorts, and what I'm getting at here is that every time Metallica is mentioned, I think of that and laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
The Beatles are overproduced? 80% of their albums have the sound quality of a fog horn in a metal garbage can being thrown off the Empire State Building.

What the fuck?

The only overproduced Beatles album is Let It Be, which duh Phil Spector. George Martin is one of the greatest producers ever, maybe second only to Eno.

I think the mere fact that George Martin gets mentioned so often speaks to the overproduction. And
Let It Be features some of the rawest cuts in the entire Beatles catalog, "Don't Let Me Down", "Dig a Pony", and "I've Got a Feeling"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:02 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Does anyone else know of, and like, Neil Hamburger? His bit was that he was the world's worst stand-up comic. Sounds like a pretty basic concept, and, well, it is, but it was all in the execution. Seek out America's Funnyman.

Anyway, the best part is when he does the whole cliched bit about how this is a live album, so make yourselves heard, and everyone does, but one guy goes right up to the mic and yells "METALLICA!!!! MET-ALL-IC-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!" into the mic so loud that it distorts, and what I'm getting at here is that every time Metallica is mentioned, I think of that and laugh.

Neil Hamburger is an interesting cat. I have to say I appreciate what he is doing more than I actually enjoy it if that makes sense.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

A few more thoughts from your boy, Joe Orr Rock and Roll:

First, let's not misremember the Beatles the way so many misremember Michael Jordan- as if all parts of their games were functioning at once. The early Beatles that played live constantly weren't much different from many other skiffle groups playing in England at the time. When they first came to the U.S. they were more like Justin Bieber than what I would call a real rock band. Later when they began stretching out with Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, etc. they stopped playing live at all. That's why I wouldn't really group them with the Stones, Zeppelin, or the Who. They're different than those bands- more important in many ways. But those bands that followed them created all the rock star cliches. The incendiary guitar hero and the frontman/lead singer with awesome hair. The Beatles weren't that.

Also, I think Faces on their best days were as good as any of those bands and a good argument could be made for Rod Stewart as the greatest rock vocalist ever.

"Shattered" is the Stones version of a punk rock song. Some Girls is a distillation of life in NYC during the late 70s through the eyes of ex-pat Brit rock stars. You want disco? They were going to show you they could play dance music. You like punk rock? They could do that too. I'm not saying it worked perfectly. It's not Sticky Fingers or Beggar's Banquet, but it was a bold statement at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Also, I think Faces on their best days were as good as any of those bands and a good argument could be made for Rod Stewart as the greatest rock vocalist ever.

I enjoy Faces. Rod was good, yes. Rod also stopped being a "rock" vocalist well before he could have to attained the title greatest rock vocalist ever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
And seemingly no composer is allowed to be as great as Beethoven and Mozart. I never even liked Mozart.

What's so great about Beethoven? Everyone talks about how "great" Beethoven was. Beethoven wasn't so great. He never got his picture on a bubble gum card. How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on a bubble gum card?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

beni hanna wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I enjoy Faces. Rod was good, yes. Rod also stopped being a "rock" vocalist well before he could have to attained the title greatest rock vocalist ever.

I remember reading in Creem or Circus this line about Rod:

"Rarely has a rock vocalist been so talented. Even more rarely has such a vocalist betrayed his talent."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Man some of those faces tracks are just killer. One of the few bands that could out blues the Stones

If you have 45 mins to kill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xHBjeiqzkQ

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 pm 

@ Don Tiny :lol: :lol: His hair was Perfect nyyuuut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:55 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Man some of those faces tracks are just killer. One of the few bands that could out blues the Stones

Yup. Killer. The outfits are killer too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Phil McCracken wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Agreed. I'm a huge RodFather fan as well as the Faces. He puts on a hell of a live show as well.

The stretch of Beggars to Exile was some of the best rock/blues ever and it def. holds up with the "Best Ever" bands listed by some on here. That's how good those albums were, I'm will to forgive Bigger Bang, Steel Wheels, Dirty Work and the bloat just because they made those. The stuff from Goat Heads Soup to Some Girls ranges from great to below average but it is still strong for the most part. After that the well ran dry and they didn't have much to give, too much "by the numbers" songs that were produced by "The Committee on How to Make Songs the Sound Like Rolling Stones Songs."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
metal bands with low end:
lamb of god
meshuggah
pantera
slipknot

there are many others...

Yes, James and Lars purposefully made the bass non-existent in the mix on And Justice For All. They did this both as part of his continued initiation (i.e. not being Cliff Burton) and James "scooping" his 12-15 band e.q. in the studio. scooping the e.q. is the classic way to get the metal sound. raise the bass frequencies, V-shape the mids, raise the high end. once a guitar is scooped there really isn't much room for the bass. the guitar is not dominating the highest lows and lowest highs of the bass guitar frequency....enter Bob Rock.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:10 pm 

With regard to the Stones being a truer appropriation of the blues than Led Zeppelin, who blew it up into something totally new, well, why not just listen to actual blues instead of well-educated Britons playing the blues? And if we want to go into the Stones' rootsier stuff as Foreigners Capturing Real Americana, both The Band and Neil Young were better than them in that department, too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:14 pm 

Just a thought, The Band and Neil Young grouping requires a new label. AmeriCanada.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
With regard to the Stones being a truer appropriation of the blues than Led Zeppelin, who blew it up into something totally new, well, why not just listen to actual blues instead of well-educated Britons playing the blues? And if we want to go into the Stones' rootsier stuff as Foreigners Capturing Real Americana, both The Band and Neil Young were better than them in that department, too.

Well, they took that blues sound somewhere else. A record like Exile documents a certain time and place. Besides that, the Stones invented the rock and roll extravaganza. When you think of the cliches of the British rock star that is Mick and Keith.

And Canadians aren't really foreigners, are they?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
by the way...how "produced" can you really be when recording 2-tracks live?
upgrading to 4-track, bouncing it to two, and then adding two more tracks...etc?

back in the day, i have a tendency to believe that "produced" meant "play that chord progression 4x instead of 8x."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatle ... technology

"produced" to me is 70 guitar "parts" on one song. overdubbing strings until you create an orchestra, recording each note individually like Mutt Lange made Def Leppard do for Hysteria.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

doug - evergreen park wrote:
by the way...how "produced" can you really be when recording 2-tracks live?
upgrading to 4-track, bouncing it to two, and then adding two more tracks...etc?

back in the day, i have a tendency to believe that "produced" meant "play that chord progression 4x instead of 8x."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatle ... technology

"produced" to me is 70 guitar "parts" on one song. overdubbing strings until you create an orchestra, recording each note individually like Mutt Lange made Def Leppard do for Hysteria.

I think it's relative to what was happening at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Dave In Champaign wrote:

http://www.xtrmntr.com/pg/exile/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
immessedup17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Zeppelin
Stones
The Who
Beatles

In THAT order

Beatles
Zeppelin
The Who
Stones

Zeppelin
Beatles
The Who
Stones

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Zeppelin is ridiculous:

https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... lotta-love

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:19 pm 

So who would be the best 4 bands since 1980?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

SomeGuy wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if those fuck heads did it to Newsted on purpose.

Stop wondering. They did.

I've long wished that they would remaster that album. Since Lars is such a money hungry douchebag, I'm surprised they haven't.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I like the bass in Iron Maiden.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Also not really considered metal Van Halen has the drums and Mike Anthony's bass pretty prominent in the mix.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next