It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:29 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Swing revival was like a few months in early 1999. We've suffered through bad Bears seasons longer than the swing revival.

NEEE--VVVVERR had to knock on wo...OVER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hatchetman wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
Osmonds came out first on the 1964 Andy Williams Show. They had some catchy tunes.

Interesting. The Williams Brothers may have been the first boy group back in the 30s. This is making my head hurt.

How about the Mills Brothers who actually broke the Top 40's with Cabdriver in the 1960's (?) era.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
jimmypasta wrote:
How about the Mills Brothers who actually broke the Top 40's with Cabdriver in the 1960's (?) era.

Uh, the Mills Brothers were grown ass men.

I'm not going to touch that one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:33 am 

I'm just sad that all good music was created before I was born. It's just a shame that some type of chemical accident took place that made everyone working in music after 1980 bad at it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'm just sad that all good music was created before I was born. It's just a shame that some type of chemical accident took place that made everyone working in music after 1980 bad at it.

It's called the BonJovi Syndrome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I agree. It is a shame.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
JEEZUS JUMPED UP CHRIST WHY THE BLUE BLOODY FUCK DOES MUSIC NEED TO "MEAN" SOMETHING ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!!

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGUING ABOUT MUSIC IS WORSE THAN FUCKING ARGUING ABOUT POLITICS! EVERYONE IS RIGHT! EVERYONE IS WRONG! OLD MUSIC WAS BETTER! NEW MUSIC SUCKS! FUCK ALL OF THAT!

WHAT HAPPENED TO ROCK? YOU REALLY WANT TO FUCKING KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO ROCK? MTV HAPPENED TO ROCK! IT TURNED EVERYTHING INTO "POP" MUSIC SOMETIME AROUND 1986!

LISTEN TO WHAT YOU LIKE! IGNORE WHAT YOU DON'T! QUIT FUCKING WHINING ABOUT THE FACT THAT WHITESNAKE IS FUCKING TERRIBLE!

FUCK

For the record, Taylor Swift is the antichrist. That is all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:47 am 

Boyd is right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
I guess it depends on how you define "great band". If part of the recipe for greatness includes popularity that spans generations, I don't see how you could argue with Scorehead. I mean, here we have Favre Fan and Frank who love Zeppelin, a band that was finished before either of them were born. That would be like if the favorite band of Scorehead and me was the Glenn Miller Orchestra. If I were supporting Scorehead's argument- which I am not- that's the way I'd go.

I think so much of this is generational and has to do with advertising and just being hit constantly over and over again with the bands and music of a certain era- that of the largest generation in American history, the Baby Boomers. Their infuence is so pervasive, it can't be avoided. Why is Zeppelin "better" than Black Flag? Because they are rooted in a much larger generation and all advertising over the last fifty years has been geared to that generation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
My argument for Zeppelin's greatness was always that they had something for everybody. Amped-up blues, straightforward rock, acoustic, Hobbit shit, genre excursions. Few bands can unite weightlifting douchebags and Final Fantasy players.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
My argument for Zeppelin's greatness was always that they had something for everybody. Amped-up blues, straightforward rock, acoustic, Hobbit shit, genre excursions. Few bands can unite weightlifting douchebags and Final Fantasy players.

That paragraph speaks to Zeppelin's greatness and their ridiculousness at the same time. Well done.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think so much of this is generational and has to do with advertising and just being hit constantly over and over again with the bands and music of a certain era- that of the largest generation in American history, the Baby Boomers. Their infuence is so pervasive, it can't be avoided. Why is Zeppelin "better" than Black Flag? Because they are rooted in a much larger generation and all advertising over the last fifty years has been geared to that generation.
It also has to do with how much more broad music is now. I'm sure I'd be a bigger fan of many rock bands now if I didn't also have some pretty good rap and R&B and pop music acts to enjoy too.

I'm a big fan of Green Day, Everclear, and Oasis. However, I'm also a fan of Kanye West, Eminem, and Jay-Z. I'm also a fan of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Bruno Mars. If I was born in the 60s or 70s I don't think I'd have that range of completely different genres. So yeah, the Rolling Stones are awesome, but if they came around today, they'd have to share more of the spotlight and likely not be as big as they were either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
sjboyd0137 wrote:
JEEZUS JUMPED UP CHRIST WHY THE BLUE BLOODY FUCK DOES MUSIC NEED TO "MEAN" SOMETHING ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!!

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGUING ABOUT MUSIC IS WORSE THAN FUCKING ARGUING ABOUT POLITICS! EVERYONE IS RIGHT! EVERYONE IS WRONG! OLD MUSIC WAS BETTER! NEW MUSIC SUCKS! FUCK ALL OF THAT!

WHAT HAPPENED TO ROCK? YOU REALLY WANT TO FUCKING KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO ROCK? MTV HAPPENED TO ROCK! IT TURNED EVERYTHING INTO "POP" MUSIC SOMETIME AROUND 1986!

LISTEN TO WHAT YOU LIKE! IGNORE WHAT YOU DON'T! QUIT FUCKING WHINING ABOUT THE FACT THAT WHITESNAKE IS FUCKING TERRIBLE!

FUCK

For the record, Taylor Swift is the antichrist. That is all.

Whitesnake sucked, yes, but they did have Steve Vai.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 am 

Frank Zappa had Steve Vai and didn't suck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It also has to do with how much more broad music is now. I'm sure I'd be a bigger fan of many rock bands now if I didn't also have some pretty good rap and R&B and pop music acts to enjoy too.

I'm a big fan of Green Day, Everclear, and Oasis. However, I'm also a fan of Kanye West, Eminem, and Jay-Z. I'm also a fan of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Bruno Mars. If I was born in the 60s or 70s I don't think I'd have that range of completely different genres. So yeah, the Rolling Stones are awesome, but if they came around today, they'd have to share more of the spotlight and likely not be as big as they were either.

Yes, various niches may have spread popularity out, but that doesn't explain why most 22 year olds prefer Zeppelin to the Libertines.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 am 
rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Swing revival was like a few months in early 1999. We've suffered through bad Bears seasons longer than the swing revival.

NEEE--VVVVERR had to knock on wo...OVER

The Swing Kids soundtrack was actually pretty decent.

And what's wrong with the MMBT :-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Curious Hair wrote:

I just really like Steve Vai. He was pretty fucking awesome with David Lee Roth band which was actually quite the talented group.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:57 am 
SomeGuy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I just really like Steve Vai. He was pretty fucking awesome with David Lee Roth band which was actually quite the talented group.

Wasn't Steve Vai "Buckethead" in one of the GnR incarnations?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 am 

No, Buckethead is some other roving guitarist. He is also not to be confused with fellow GNR sideman-for-hire Bumblefoot. Buckethead, meet Bumblefoot. Bumblefoot, Buckethead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Buckethead

He's not too shabby. I may have been able to get used to him in GNR. Shackler's Revenge off Chinese Democracy is all him IIRC. His solo work is also worth a looksie in spite of his headwear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Keeping Score wrote:
I happen to like Whitesnake just fine.

And Boyd, I'm watching you.

Well, Taylor Swift IS the antichrist...I'm not wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Swingandalongonetoright wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Buckethead

He's not too shabby. I may have been able to get used to him in GNR. Shackler's Revenge off Chinese Democracy is all him IIRC. His solo work is also worth a looksie in spite of his headwear.

His solo stuff is pretty damn good. Make a Buckethead channel on Pandora and check him out.

EDIT: I missed your sentence about his solo stuff. My bad.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yes, various niches may have spread popularity out, but that doesn't explain why most 22 year olds prefer Zeppelin to the Libertines.
Most 22 year olds don't care about either, unless they are playing Guitar Hero.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/teen-who-just-discovered-led-zeppelin-starting-to,199/

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:26 pm 

Quote:
"Last Saturday night, a bunch of us were driving around cranking the new Slipknot when Mark popped the tape out and started messing with the radio," said Rick Eglund, 17. "I was like, 'Dude, what's your problem?' He said it was time for WLUP's 'Get The Led Out' and that he never missed it. I told him he was gonna miss it that night.

I love the Chicago/Wisconsin have-to-live-there references The Onion makes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Quote:
Added Eglund: "It could be worse, I guess. He could've gotten into the Grateful Dead. Or Floyd. Just imagine if he walked around all day quoting Dark Side Of The Moon. Christ."
:lol: :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
Added Eglund: "It could be worse, I guess. He could've gotten into the Grateful Dead. Or Floyd. Just imagine if he walked around all day quoting Dark Side Of The Moon. Christ."
:lol: :lol:

:?

I'm not really sure I like this, Frank.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.