It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Blu story time:

I was the general manager of my college's radio station right about the time Below the Heavens came out. I was lucky enough to have two staffers that were big into hip hop and they convinced me to bring Blu to campus. Up to that point the acts our station brought in were precious indie-boy bands like The Decemberists, The M's, etc., so people were reluctant to spend money on an act few people at the school had ever heard of (seeing as this was a liberal arts school tucked away in the middle of a cornfield it's more than likely that no one outside of those two guys had ever heard of them).

We set up in the lobby of one of the dorms and Blu proceeds to blow the minds of a roomful of sheltered, upwardly mobile white folks. He's passing out SOLO cups of Hennessy and the distinct aroma of weed is getting stronger and stronger. Campus security shuts down the performance after about an hour so we pack all our shit up and set up again in someone's off campus apartment.

After the performance I engage in one of the most embarrassing displays of mic-sniffing in human history. Seriously, I was Chris Farley and Blu was Paul McCartney. I think I even asked him "so when you wrote 'My boss is tripping cause I'm running late and ain't no excuse/when I'm bout to be twenty-two without a whip I could swoop/feel like I'm finna shoot my own dome with chrome to escape' did you really mean that?" He took it all in stride though, or at least didn't point out how embarrassed I should be for asking him that.

I seriously cannot get enough of that record. If I were more eloquent I would be able to better explain why I like it so much. Something along the lines of that being the perfect record for me to hear at that time in my life and how any time I listen to it, it reminds me of the years I was able to spend being young and irresponsible.

that's really really cool man....i saw him (and Exile) at Subterranean a few years back and it was a really good show
it's funny i was totally unaware for the longest time that the CD was out of print and going for like 100 on ebay...but last year they finally issued it on vinyl, and oh is it glorious . top 5 hip hop album of all time, really

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am 

http://pitchfork.com/news/50249-watch-g ... the-roots/

i like it, not bad...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 pm 

Bagels wrote:
http://pitchfork.com/news/50249-watch-ghostface-perform-on-fallon-with-the-roots/

i like it, not bad...

Yeah, pretty good.

That album should be good. Its pretty much Ghost feat INS, Masta Killa, and U-God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Spottieottiedopaliscious

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
aceyalone - pose

and yeah, of course i got the proper version off of the grand imperial LP. not the reggaeton version off'a lightning strikes. it's hard to go wrong with either one, but this one's got a str8up boom bap flow that's properly murdered.... and the song nails the "selfie" generation really proper.

first time i heard this song i thought he was saying "hoes.... hoes.... hoes.... hoes.... profile!" and i was LOL fall off the couch (kind of like the first time i heard nas rhyme "I got to have it, I miss Mr. Magic Versatile, my style switches like a burrito") cuz i thought aceyalone finally dropped all pretense of poetic esoteria and just went for the jugular.... but it's pose. c'est la vie.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:16 pm 

"i don't think it's a good idea to stand here / YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE FUCK'S ABOUT TO LAND HERE"

aceyalone - takeoff

production by rjd2.... so many quotable one-liners in here, but yeah, this ain't a commercial rap song insomuch as there's no hook, no chorus.... no waiting up for you to wonder if you're lost in the process of surfing from metaphor to metaphor... he just comes out and snaps hard. when acey toured with rjd2 in 06 i hung out after his set (my personal favorite acey show over the years, he decided to do an anthology of all of his "big" songs from the first fellowship LP to that new album) and afterwards while i was standing next to a proper queue/line of bearded white kids in new balance shoes and flannels waiting to say "rj, you inspire me so much dude.... i make beats because of you, man, you're truly an inspiration to me, thanks" i got to have a lil convo with him.... so i asked why acey would do THAT set and not do the takeoff, especially when rj himself was there... and he LOL'd and said "naw man, acey doesn't have the breath to do that live... he smokes too much" and i asked how much does he smoke and rj double LOL'd and said "i don't know man, i don't smoke weed" so i pressed the issue and he's like "here [scribbles down a note on a show flier with a sharpie] why don't you come backstage and kick it with him and find out?"

of course, the friend who i went to the show with happened to have drove us to the gig that night. between vinyl and a t-shirt and a couple'a drinks i had pissed away all of my cash so i didn't even have enough to take the L back home, and with the then-newfound smoking ban in place, it had been ~3hrs since my friend had a cigarette. in fact, he was already pissed that i made him wait while i talked to rj..... when i told him that we got the invite to chill backstage and meet acey, he said (and this is a direct quote) "no, i want a cigarette. sorry dude, but you can meet aceyalone next time" and that was that, the foot was put down and, of course, he got to have his cigarette shortly thereafter.

the funny part = next time acey came to chicago was circa june 2008 and the funniest thing happened...

[ugh, i dont think the picture is immediately available on facebook, so this is supposed to be a picture of me next to aceyalone]

i met aceyalone next time. good dude... i was star struck. and btw, i heard a couple'a years later that even if i had went backstage that acey hooked a bird post-show and was off to woo her, so he wasn't really around to chill/puff with. c'est la vie!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 pm 

but yeah, that's my aceyalone roll for the next ~6 months. hell, i prolly even linked this song and told this story somewhere in the first ~30 pages of this thread somewhere. this cat mike once said that i'm "the great recycler of conversation" to which i retorted "you focus on the negativity of "recycler" i focus on "the great"

and on that note, it's time to wonder if that screaming/esque noise i just heard was someone screaming my name on the virge of death, or if someone just really lets go with their sneezes. it beats the other day where i swore i was being sized up for the kill by some sort of a warthog/motorcycle hybrid.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:56 pm 

Rocket Ships-Talib Kweli feat. BustaRhymes (prod. by Rza)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:59 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
but yeah, that's my aceyalone roll for the next ~6 months. hell, i prolly even linked this song and told this story somewhere in the first ~30 pages of this thread somewhere. this cat mike once said that i'm "the great recycler of conversation" to which i retorted "you focus on the negativity of "recycler" i focus on "the great"

and on that note, it's time to wonder if that screaming/esque noise i just heard was someone screaming my name on the virge of death, or if someone just really lets go with their sneezes. it beats the other day where i swore i was being sized up for the kill by some sort of a warthog/motorcycle hybrid.

You were not the first poster to mention Aceyalone on this board.

Back in 07 he was mentioned

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Logic - Welcome To Forever (ft. Jon Bellion) (Welcome To Forever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtMpzzkSOkw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:50 pm 

today i gotta hearken the good ol days, back when busta used to rap....

leaders of the new school - feminine fatt

(don't worry, it's busta solo)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:53 pm 

added bonus... i heard this on backspin 46 the otehr day and i was like OMFG THAT'S THE BEAT BIG L DOES HIS FREES ON FROM HARLEM'S FINEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miilkbone - keep it real

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:54 pm 

here's that 2pt freestyle with big L on that beat with jay-z back when he tried to impress with all of his skill

i love how big L does his thing.... then jay-z comes out and drops his hot ~16-32/whatever and then big L is oh yeah you gonna make me drop my hot 16-32?!?!! and then, yeah..... that 2nd big L verse is !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:16 pm 

awwww yeah here we go. remember the good ol days of legend and lore when "the best rapper on the planet" could actually rap? i'm a bigfan of old/ish tupac, especially 2pacalypse now / strictly-4.... this track is so simple but like, once that loop/beat hits and pac comes out str8 flossin.... god damn yo, god damn yo.

also, at the end of this song pac calls out the emo/hipster/yolo/swag movement before it ever started.

2pac - i don't give a fuck

edit: of note is how pac was 100% certain to not leave a clean loop of that beat in the song so nobody else could nick it and ride it.... good luck finding an instrumental cuz i dont think this hit a proper 12" any point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:40 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
awwww yeah here we go. remember the good ol days of legend and lore when "the best rapper on the planet" could actually rap? i'm a bigfan of old/ish tupac, especially 2pacalypse now / strictly-4.... this track is so simple but like, once that loop/beat hits and pac comes out str8 flossin.... god damn yo, god damn yo.

also, at the end of this song pac calls out the emo/hipster/yolo/swag movement before it ever started.

2pac - i don't give a fuck

edit: of note is how pac was 100% certain to not leave a clean loop of that beat in the song so nobody else could nick it and ride it.... good luck finding an instrumental cuz i dont think this hit a proper 12" any point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:57 am 

in honor of the british gp i just watched, let's drop a song with a proper michael schumaker reference in it with a proper roller from the black album, prolly my favorite song off of the surprisingly* good album

jay-z - justify my thug

* = i got into jay-z later on in my rap fandom, starting with reasonable doubt going into the in my lifetime vols 1+2.... so at some point i decided to give an ear to the black album despite its obvious pop trappings (which i tend to avoid since most top-40 pop-hop is shit) and i was amazed that after some weaker albums and whatnot the black album came out of nowhere and delivered a legitimately very good album. for someone at his level of $$$ and etc, i'm amazed that jay can still actually rap well when he's arsed to do it. i guess that's why many claim he's the best in the game, cuz they see materialism as the ultimate validation of one's skills, and seeing as we haven't had a big top-40/$$$ GOAT who could rap since tupac, welp, c'est la vie it's a fait accompli.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:01 pm 

y'all need some juggalo music in your life. seriously, i'm far from a juggalo but i can tell you that this song is catchy, dude can rap and the beat works, so this is indeed worthy of a HHSOTD:

blaze ya dead homie - dub sack

can i get a WHOOP WHOOP in honor of the board's biggest undercover juggalo, the recently departed krazy ivan!?!

WHOOP WHOOP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:14 pm 

hip hop ALBUM of the day

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:09 am 

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib- Shame

Freddie is a little too thuggin' for my tastes, but i can't resist a smooth Madlib beat.....same "oohhs" as on Best of Times, i think

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:39 am 

Bagels wrote:

Freddie is a little too thuggin' for my tastes, but i can't resist a smooth Madlib beat.....same "oohhs" as on Best of Times, i think

that first verse was real nice.... dude can rap. at the end of the day that's all one can really ask for, especially in the scope of massmedia propagated shit.

let's see if this "str8 killa no filla" mixtape has flows like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:17 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
Bagels wrote:

that first verse was real nice.... dude can rap. at the end of the day that's all one can really ask for, especially in the scope of massmedia propagated shit.

let's see if this "str8 killa no filla" mixtape has flows like that.

i got the Deeper EP a few weeks back which is the last single before their album drops, I can't wait this looks good

Quote:
Piñata is scheduled for February 4, 2014 on Madlib Invazion. The album will feature Raekwon, Scarface, Danny Brown, Earl Sweatshirt, Domo Genesis, Joey Bada$$, Ab Soul, BJ The Chicago Kid, Meech of Flatbush Zombies, Casey Veggies, Mac Miller, Polyester the Saint, G-Wiz.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:44 am 

Here rbp......Danny Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdJckzlrkT8

Freddie kinda kills him on this one though

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... E8BO51IYAQ

not a song, but Action Bronson shoves a security guard trying to stop him from smoking weed at a show :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:16 pm 

Bagels wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WE8BO51IYAQ

not a song, but Action Bronson shoves a security guard trying to stop him from smoking weed at a show :lol:

That's funny

Im not sure what that guy thought was gonna happen.

Action Bronson made some funny vines making fun of other rappers. Ill see if I can find em. One of em he was imitating Schoolboy Q and was looking in the mirror repeating "Gotta be better than Kendrick"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:30 am 

sounds promising
Quote:
According to Rolling Stone, De La Soul will also release new songs in the coming weeks, followed by You're Welcome, their first album since 2004. In March, they'll release a six-song EP called Preemium Soul on the Rocks, featuring production from DJ Premier and Pete Rock, per Rolling Stone. There's also plans to work on a track featuring an unreleased Dilla beat

also:
In celebration of the 25th anniversary of 3 Feet High and Rising, De La Soul are making their entire catalog—including remixes, instrumentals and rarities—available free for download on their site. They're available for 25 hours only, starting today at 11 a.m. Eastern until tomorrow at noon. To get the music, you just have to sign up for their email list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:41 am 

i still haven't gotten over de la biting the name of that one sage francis band side project thing, art official intelligence, for the name of what i believe to be their last album... if not the one before that in the 01-04 range.

plus.... damn, it was 25 years ago for 3ft high and rising? yeah i guess it's true.... even my golden year of idm (1997) was basically 17 years ago from now, so c'est la vie.

here's a solid action bronson song called imported goods that amuses me to no end cuz hey look, it's another white rapper with a "look at how cultural/street i am in my neighborhood" video. man.... you know, i'm perpetually someone who defaults to doing nothing and watching the world pass me by, but yeah the stereotypical underground/ish whitehop video has to be made. action bronson here even has the requisite outfit changes. goddamn.

i started planning out the scenes/shots in 2012 but i wasn't ready.... maybe later this year? c'est la vie. prolly should make a song for it too =D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:47 am 

Action Bronson is hilarious. He's passable as a rapper, but he's funnier than anything else.

Youtube him and half the videos are him getting kicked out of places

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 pm 

yeah he seems to fall into the category of what i call an "experience rapper" --- a term i coined when i was thinking about ludacris, who is painfully predictable when you're hearing one of his songs for the first time and you can literally guess the obvious next-end-rhyme he's going with at the end of the next bar.

but the thought was that if you were to hang out with luda for a night/weekend you'd prolly end up telling your grand/kids about it when they grow up enough to be cool. kind of like that one time i asked my dad if he ever tried cocaine and he was like "well yeah i tried cocaine once.... there was a big glass table.... i got lucky with some english broad"

action seems to have inherited the "clown prince" role of whitehop.... you know it's almost like they split eminem in half and macklemore got the "serious" side (cuz he's got that important song about gay people played at the grammies and etc" and action has got the "comedy relief" side.... and hey god bless him. hope to meet the guy someday, even tho he seems to be way too much into the weed and all that and i'm kind of emeritus with all that despite still being able to be e-mailed at smokeDOTdopeDOTorg. c'est la vie. action kind of sounds like qwel when he tries to snap hard, which personally amuses me to no end. i'mma serve captain pudgeball someday, and i aint talking about action.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:07 pm 

btw i gotta call out "noisey magazine" about something.... i took RPB's advice and started looking for action bronson gets kicked out of.... videos and i saw this "noisey magazine" had a 10min video where they hung out with action in london while he was just mucking about and getting ready for a show.

in that video they referred to action as a former "teenage messiah of rap" and etc.

so i see they've also got a "welcome to chiraq" video series where they send some effeminate glasses-wielding hipster deep into the heart of "chiraq" to tell us whats up with all of that drill and whatnot (still gotta get to listening to that drilluminati mixtape or two by whatshisface....) and as they're talking about chief keef early on in part 1 what do they call him? the teenage messiah of rap.

how many teenage messiahs of rap are there out there? and seriously, part of me is glad i was too spaced out / underconfident / safely-hidden-behnd-the-pudge to carpe diem early and ever earn such a moniker..... tho i bet i could probably have beaten all of these teenage messiahs of rap in a str8up neutral freestyle battle (off the dome not hot 16) if i got properly arsed.

ah well, i'm going to make one hell of a woulda/coulda/shoulda old man someday..... just add porch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 pm 

The last teenage mesiah of rap was Nas when Illmatic came out and he was 19

Action seems more like a BigPun/Ghostface tribute act than anything else

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next