It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
He's been a hoops guy for some 6 decades. He's been following the NBA since 1946 in his native Philadelphia, became head coach of Philadelphia's St. Joseph's University in 1955, GM of the Philadelphia 76ers that won the 1966 NBA Championship in his first season & compiled an 864-783 record in 21 seasons as an NBA head coach, complete with the 1977 NBA Championship for the Portland TrailBlazers. He got his nickname "Dr. Jack", thanks to receiving a doctorate in education from the University of Pennsylvania.

These days, we know Dr. Jack Ramsay as ESPN Radio's lead NBA analyst, something he's done since 1996 when the sports radio network became the national rights holder. Pretty soon, Dr. Jack might call it a career completely.

Although Dr. Jack has survived prostate cancer in 1999 before being diagnosed with melanoma in 2004, the 88 year old Ramsay has reportedly hinted in an interview with FOX Sports Florida that this season could be it for him with ESPN Radio. A big reason why Ramsay might retire has a lot to do with the loss of his longtime partner earlier this season, former Bulls' Radio & TV voice Jim Durham. The death of Durham shortly after ESPN Radio's first game, the Celtics/Heat game in Miami October 30, 2012, appears to have taken its toll on the Hall of Fame Coach & Analyst.

Ramsay called Durham "not only a great broadcaster but a great friend, and it was very difficult" following the news of Durham's death was revealed in early November. Since J.D.'s passing, ESPN Radio has paired Ramsay with 3 different play-by-play voices this season in Kevin Calabro, Dave Flemming & Marc Kestecher, also an ESPN Radio "SportsCenter" anchor & studio host of the radio network's NBA coverage. While he respects his current partners, Ramsay told FS Florida they're not the same as working courtside with Durham.

Dr. Jack is committed to analyzing ESPN Radio's NBA broadcasts until the NBA Finals in June. Should this be it for Dr. Jack, he doesn't know what he would do to occupy his time and admits it would be weird not having a basketball job as his occupation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
He's been dead for 6 years. #animatronics

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 pm 

I think the Doctor title is a little confusing and dangerous

Wonder if anyone has ever had a heart attack when he was around? What'd he do throw a basketball at em?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Chet's rolodex is getting thinner and thinner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:28 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

:cry:

Chet is dying.

I mean the character

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:32 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Chet is dying.

I mean the character

And the guy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:36 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Chet is dying.

I mean the character

And the guy.

That's not nice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 pm 

We're all dying, Roger...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:33 pm 

An update on this story. It was revealed late last night that Dr. Jack Ramsay will NOT be able to broadcast any more NBA Playoff games on ESPN Radio nationally.

Dr. Jack was originally scheduled to call tonight's Heat/Bulls Game 3 of the East Semifinals at United Center on ESPN Radio stations OUTSIDE the Chicago market. In a phone interview from his home in Naples, FL yesterday, the Hall of Fame analyst revealed that he will undergo unspecified treatment next week that will prevent him from traveling to various arenas to analyze the games with the likes of Kevin Calabro, Marc Kestecher & Dave Flemming on the sports radio network. They're the 3 play-by-play voices who had called games with the 88 year-old Ramsay following the passing of Dr. Jack's longtime partner Jim Durham back in November.

ESPN Radio officials have not said who will succeed Ramsay full time, but one of the newest members of the Basketball Hall of Fame, Chris Mullin, will sub for Dr. Jack on the national broadcast of tonight's Game 3 of Heat/Bulls.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:01 pm 

That's pretty amazing at 88 that the guy can still even walk. There are people in their 50s who have problems walking or doing any kind of physical activity.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
That's pretty amazing at 88 that the guy can still even walk. There are people in their 50s who have problems walking or doing any kind of physical activity.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Fuck! You just say some of the dumbest shit ever. And I've never really said anything about it. But, fuck! Fuck Fuck Fuck! Stop saying dumb fucking shit like this. There are 5 year olds that can't walk either. Who gives a fuck?!?!? There is no reason he shouldn't be walking in his 80's, you fuck! Arrrrggggghhhh.....FUCK!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Mini Ditka wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the hell???

Anyone over 60 that can walk is a miracle of modern science.

Who's your favorite walking Octogenarian? Light em up Chicago!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 pm 

Schmittty thinks this guy is a fucking pussy.

Walk it off, Jack!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Gotta hand it to the guy for still working at 88.

Hope he isn't dead in 2 weeks like one often sees in these situations.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:15 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

The average life expectancy for a man is 72 years. This guy is 88 and flying around the country calling basketball games on the radio. That is quite a feat considering most people his age are dead.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:16 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

The average life expectancy for a man is 72 years. This guy is 88 and flying around the country calling basketball games on the radio. That is quite a feat considering most people his age are dead.

Yeah. There are some 12 year olds that can't fly.

FUCK!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:18 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

Most people his age are still alive. Once you die, I think you stop counting your birthdays.

:lol: :lol: Keep on keepin on MD.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

Fuck! You just say some of the dumbest shit ever. And I've never really said anything about it. But, fuck! Fuck Fuck Fuck! Stop saying dumb fucking shit like this. There are 5 year olds that can't walk either. Who gives a fuck?!?!? There is no reason he shouldn't be walking in his 80's, you fuck! Arrrrggggghhhh.....FUCK!!!!!

:lol: Kid Cairo borrowing your login for a few?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

:cheers:

Now you understand my frustration with certain things. :lol:

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:25 pm 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Now you understand my frustration with certain things. :lol:

It's very different. I'll just leave it at that...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Oh, and everybody giving him a shoutout for working at 88 years old...try actually listening to the broadcast. I was listening last week to a game - he's like Harry Caray in his last Cubs season. Guy can barely string a sentence together. And even if his analysis is sound, it just.....takes........so...........long...........for............him..............to................finish...............his.....................thought.

Keep that shit. He shouldn't be working. I liked Jack when he was more sharp, but right now it's an awful listen.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:28 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

Yeah. There are some 12 year olds that can't fly.

Well, John Madden is 77 and he refuses to get on a plane. There's no way he could call NBA games driving around in his bus.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:31 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

I remember it being 72 in the early 90's. Did you stop taking in new info around that time?

Women have long outlived men, and the latest numbers show the average life span for a baby girl born today is 81, and for a baby boy, it's 76

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/03/0 ... z2SuqbEfXZ

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:32 pm 

Oh and I did some checking around. This Ramsay isnt even licensed!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Oh and I did some checking around. This Ramsay isnt even licensed!

He's not that kind of Doctor, RP. Dr. Jack got that moniker because he earned a doctorate of education a long time ago at the University of Pennsylvania.

In a unrelated story, ESPN's Jerry Punch is an actual Doctor. He was an E.R. Physician at the former Bunnell Hospital in Florida before joining the "Worldwide Leader" in 1984.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 pm 

When they calculate life expectancy they look at it in terms of people who are most recently born and how long they should expect to live. Just because they come out with a new stat doesn't mean an individual who is already over 70 is going to live longer.

Maybe we should have a discussion about how many CSFMB members will be alive at 88.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:49 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
When they calculate life expectancy they look at it in terms of people who are most recently born and how long they should expect to live. Just because they come out with a new stat doesn't mean an individual who is already over 70 is going to live longer.

Maybe we should have a discussion about how many CSFMB members will be alive at 88.

Many more of your posts and we can discuss how many CSFMB suicides will be taking place...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:50 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:

Oh I see.

So by that logic, you're saying the average life expectancy in 1941 was 72 for a man?

Nope.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Douchebag wrote:
Schmittty thinks this guy is a fucking pussy.

Walk it off, Jack!

:lol: :lol: