It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yeezus
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
Just listened to the leak. Very few albums leave me with a wtf just happened feeling. I probably still need a moment to gather my thoughts about this album. One thing is for sure though, it gives off an angry vibe. Gonna have to listen a couple more times to really get a feel for it

Post subject: Re: Yeezus
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Got it yesterday, and I second your emotions.

People are saying this is a 40 minute "fuck you Kim K." breakup letter.
I don't know yet, but I like it so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Here is a solid article about the steps Kanye used to contain leaks. It's quite interesting despite the fact that it did indeed leak. What's more fascinating to me is that an album this anticipated was recorded basically using all home studio equipment.

My guess: the leak occurred during step #7.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/reasons-you-wont-hear-yeezus-early

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:56 pm 

Some seem to think it leaked due to is special listening parties he did this week. They asked him if it was ok to record, and he told them yeah, that he didn't care if it leaked. He has reportedly told people that he will do a million in the first week. I got a feeling with only 10 tracks, more hiphop fans will cop the J. Cole album.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 am 

He's due for a weird one after the Masterpiece that was Dark Fantasy

Ill dl this later today

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 am 

schmitty1121 wrote:
I got a feeling with only 10 tracks, more hiphop fans will cop the J. Cole album.

Remember when 50 was gonna retire if Kanye outsold him?

He did, btw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:11 pm 

jim Farber of the New York Daily News, in an early review of the leaked edition of Yeezus, called the record "a chutzpah classic," elaborating that "the entire disc rethinks industrial rock of the early '90s for both a new era and genre."[27] Steve Jones of USA Today called the album "immediately stunning [...] he created a polarizing, multi-layered body of work that probably will be debated all summer."[29] Jon Dolan of Rolling Stone called Yeezus a "brilliant, obsessive-compulsive career auto-correct," comparing it to similarly abrasive records: "Every mad genius has to make a record like this at least once in his career – at its nastiest, his makes Kid A or In Utero or Trans all look like Bruno Mars."[28]

Yeezus' Review: Kanye West & All-Star Producers Create A Strong Record

By MESFIN FEKADU 06/17/13 08:58 AM ET EDT

GET ENTERTAINMENT ALERTS:
FOLLOW: Kanye Album, Kanye Review, Kanye West Yeezus, Kanye West Yeezus Review, Kanye Yeezus Album, Kanye Yeezus Review, New Kanye Album, Yeezus, Yeezus Review, Entertainment News
-- Kanye West, "Yeezus" (Def Jam/Roc-A-Fella)

It's hard to digest all of Kanye West on his new album.

"Yeezus" is the rapper's darkest, eeriest and most erratic album of his six solo releases. He is in militant form on the 10-track set, rapping over beats that are artsy, electronic and gloomy. It's a far stretch from the contemporary rap and pop success he achieved with more than a dozen Top 10 hits, including "Gold Digger," "Stronger" and "Heartless." But that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

"Yeezus" continues on the dark and emotive path he set on 2010's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" and "808s & Heartbreak," which was released two years earlier. The production throughout "Yeezus" is exceptional, with Rick Rubin, Daft Punk, No ID, RZA and more helping out. The album flows nicely, with songs including layered vocals and transitions that elevate them to great heights: "On Sight" starts the album with the right energy and West gets an epic and soulful assist from Charlie Wilson on the closing track, "Bound 2." It's a classic Yeezy effort and arguably the album's best track.

Lyrically, though, West isn't always at his best. The album lacks deep storytelling from the 36-year-old, which he powerfully delivered on past albums. He sounds random and frustrated at times, and at others, he'll frustrate you (he raps of an oral sex act from a nun on "I'm in It"). Really? FOR-REALZY YEEZY?

West raps about religion a good amount on "Yeezus," which is his Jesus-like moniker. "If I don't get ran out by Catholics, here come some conservative Baptists," he says on "Black Skinhead." And on "I Am God" – well, you get it.

But religious folks won't be the only ones upset with the album: While West has promoted "Yeezus" with performances on "Saturday Night Live" and video projections to match the album's wild sound, he's releasing it without a huge single on radio or on the charts. There isn't even an official music video. While he charted new territory on "Twisted Fantasy," that album was sprinkled with radio-ready anthems like "All of the Lights."

For the performer with the largest voice in rap – and sometimes in all of music – he deserves praise for not conforming to mainstream and radio rules like other pop stars. He may lose some fans because his new sound isn't easy to digest, but he'll likely gain others, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
black skinhead is the only solid track on here really.... by the time you hit the middle of the album and he's whipping out the autotune it's just like.... ok dude. whatever.... he doesn't have anything to tell me.

on "guilt trip" when he invokes the term "chief rocka" (number one chief rocka) it's a fucking insult to the use of rap as a communications medium to claim that his lyricism here is chief rocking. at least when redman was doing it on dare iz a darkside there was a fundamental difference due to the fact that redman can rap, same with cats like louis logic doing it early in their underground careers.... but this isn't some expert rap exercise... this is just an over-validated blowhard trying to wank off the lame faux-hipster demographic (i.e. people who wanna appear hip to the audience of the ny times) by having them check all of his drivel topics at the doorstep and fawn over the "risks" of "electronic production"

tell me a rap album that isn't produced electronically going back to the early 80s and i'll be amazed. spare me your roots things cuz the whole native tongues clique can blow me. and when the guy says this transcends early 90s industrial?! you shittin me?!?! really?

i'd love to find a member of throbbing gristle or at least psychic tv and see what they think about that statement. is genesis p-orridge still alive? c'est la vie. at least the baby popped out due to c-section today so they can stop cutting those shoes off of kimmaye's feet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:31 pm 

Still waiting on your Kanye thoughts in the Mainstream thread

Im shocked that you dont like an album by a popular rapper :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

i'm pretty sure i gave them in the form of quoting cube by saying "hey dre, stick to producing"

and didnt i post a whole thing about how lyrically kanye is basically a slightly faster ludacris cuz you can guess what his stupid lowest common denominator endrhymes are?

still tho, don't slag me off on this like an imu generalization.... i've listened to this. it's not my fault that i'm evidently not mainstream due to the fact that i've into rap for 15 years

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:36 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

i'm pretty sure i gave them in the form of quoting cube by saying "hey dre, stick to producing"

and didnt i post a whole thing about how lyrically kanye is basically a slightly faster ludacris cuz you can guess what his stupid lowest common denominator endrhymes are?

still tho, don't slag me off on this like an imu generalization.... i've listened to this. it's not my fault that i'm evidently not mainstream due to the fact that i've into rap for 15 years

Im not generalizing you. I understand you gave it a shot.

It seems like with every big album you find one track or line that you like and have little use for the rest.

Its ok. Its your legit opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:50 pm 

i mean really electronic production has been around forever (altho i can understand how starting off a rap like "we believe in maximum effect and every single facet of the gem" = you ain't selling dick, like kanye, who i'd wager sells some dick, if not buys it =) but like, seriously, the avant garde-ness of using antithetical "electronic" rap beats is offset by his stupid solid i'm rich i'm awesome i'm god flows.... if anything it's just a spectacle that the media is propagating... if this album showed up anonymously (if kanye was truly badass and not resorting to anything from the handful of gimmicks) and he never acknowledged that it was a kanye west joint, then we'll start talking about artistic levels and shit....

otherwise, this production just leaves you on a more visceral level with those acapellas of his and like..... seriously, what can kanye tell you to make your life cooler? you can find plenty of music like that without him dropping pop culture references and/or exciting tales of his solipsism

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I wish I could understand you, Sini.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
I've made it 0:22 into the first track before I tried to reach for a sharp object in hopes of being able to drive it into my ear...through every single sensory nerve in my brain...and out the other side.

Keep going!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I am a God, so hurry up with my damn massage...

It's not terrible but Kanye shouldn't make me feel as if I'm listening to Lil Wayne. It felt like that at time. This album feels like he just picked random tracks out of a hat and some were freestyles.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:22 am 

Didnt have a chance to DL it yesterday

Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Looking forward to both, this and J.Cole's.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:25 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
I've made it 0:22 into the first track before I tried to reach for a sharp object in hopes of being able to drive it into my ear...through every single sensory nerve in my brain...and out the other side.

Keep going!

I stopped on "New Slaves."

I just can't do it. Same as all the other albums since College Dropout. Something is missing...

Rap has changed. It is no longer for me at all. Previously it was hit or miss.

Hmm.

I dont know how you can lump all those together. I mean regardless of the quality I think his albums are all pretty different

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:56 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
They are all (primarily) rap albums from the same artist. It isn't a stretch. I hear the differences...and the similarities.

But just in terms of quality...there is College Dropout...there is glorious silence...and then there is all of the rest of his albums.

To each their own

Did you listen to Dark Fantasy when it came out? Didnt like any songs?

I think the title track is especially awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Did you listen to Dark Fantasy when it came out? Didnt like any songs?

Yes. No.

I dont know how you could like hip hop even a little bit and not like some of the stuff on that album.

I mean, here we are, but just seems odd to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:57 pm 

Big Ghost review

This guy is awesome as a reveiwer

Kanye West Yeezus album review by Big Ghost

Ayo whattup you back in the presence that never left…Its ya boy Crack Cocaine Biceps aka Big Ghost nahmean. It aint no secret that this ni**a Yeezy outta control. Son got the ego of like 72 men combined nahmean. Jus look at the song titles on this shit b. Straight up n down…Kanye done gone from walkin wit Jesus to FAWHHGIT BOWT JEEESUS AWM DA NEWWW MUHSIYAHHH… But is son gon live up to his own high standards? Lets dispense with the legalities and find out right now yo…

The views n what have you in this muthafucka is all my owns…so that aint in no way a reflection of nobody other than myself n whatever else b. No other man or woman or child represented heretofore n such hereby is sharin the opinion of the gentleman who be sayin the shit contained within namsayin. This muthafucka do be containin foul language n shit that might offend small children n old people n shit too. It should be noted by all those who is present today here today before God that yall here on ya own accord n if anybody not cool wit that they should leave now or forever hold they peace…

1. “On Sight” – Imma keep it all the way real wit yall…the way this shit started had me wishin for the days of unnecessary Mr West skits… maybe even Nicki Minaj recitin some bullshit ass limerick in a British accent or whatever… Soon as I heard the electro shits start up I knew what the fuck was bout to happen… This shit like BLOOP BLUHHH BLEEP BLOOP BLUHHH BLEEP BLOOP BLUHHH BLEEP BLOOP BLUHHH BLEEP BLOOP BLUHHH BLEEP TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK BLOOP BLUHH BLEEP BLOOP BLUHHH BLEEP…soundin like he made a beat n threw the Atari filter on that shit when it was done. The hook like BLUH BLUH BLUH ON SIGHT BLUH BLUH BLUH ON SIGHT… I kno it aint paintin a vivid picture for yall muthafuckas who aint heard the shit yet but trust me…shit is accurate. Took me bout 200 listens before I saw any value in this shit. It aint my favorite track or nothin but I aint mad at it really. Probably be kinda dope at a show…….in the middle of a desert…….on Mars……wit Chinese acrobats shootin outta cannons from one side of the stage to the other n this shit blastin out some big ass speakers at 70 billion gigahertz n whatever..Ionno…

2. “Black Skinhead” – Its like son took all the most homoerotic sounds n elements from the song Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode n added 808s to that shit… This beat is like the sound of some oiled up dudes in cowboy hats pretendin to twirl lassos in the air on the dance floor in music form n shit. This track probably sprinkled all in Chris Bosh workout playlist 10 different times by now n shit. That ni**a Yeezy probably thought to hisself….’Dis shit pruhVAWKative’ tho. Apparently CyHi the Snore Gawd n Lupe “12 black belts n 10 PhDs” Fiasco had sumn to do wit this too. Bars is aight but summa this shit bogus nahmean. Like son said “I keep it 300 like the Romans” which is probably spose to be a double entendre n whatever…which is cool… I mean I aint no professor of geographical history or nothin like that but I think the Spartans in 300 was actually Greek tho fam. Thats jus minor details tho. Brother Ye on his pro black shit for this joint namsayin. Son really tryin to make his pro-BLACKest song to the pro-WHITEst music here tho. I cant say I all the way fucks wit this shit…

3. “I Am A God” – This sound like some Illuminati rap. Feel like this the song Kanye been makin for the last 3 years…except now he jus gettin right to the point n called the song what he probably wanted to call ALL his songs since Watch The Throne n shit. Like son not gon tip toe round the fact that he fell from the heavens above n now he among mere mortals that fuck wit his music. Like he feelin like IF YALL NAWT GON SAY IT AWMA JUS SAY IT FA YAAALLLL. Fuckouttahere Kanye… You wild stupid for a genius yo. You can proclaim this shit all you want but you jus a ni**a who kno how to hit some buttons on a machine that makes music REAL REAL good n can rap better than average but happen to got the decorum of a toddler b. Its like Kanye never stopped goin thru his terrible twos n shit. Son cant eem play a instrument or nothin like that or speak multiple languages so how he a GOD my ni**a? Im sittin here spinnin a vase from the Ming dynasty on my finger b. Fuckouttahere. I do this shit forreal.

4. “New Slaves” – This shit sound like ART…n Ion mean that as a compliment bruh. I feel like the Blue Man Group gon hear this n be like YO LOOK AT THIS MUTHAFUCKA JACKIN OUR SHIT B… This beat is like if you take ‘Cold’ n slowed it down 90% n stripped away anything that was interesting bout it. If you brought a kangaroo into the studio n tried to get it to play some notes on the keyboard it would probably play some shit like this… Shit is not exactly beyond the capabilities of the average marsupial wit no musical training whatsoever b. Only time shit gets musically interesting is bout 3 mins in when son hits us off wit some autotune bullshit n actual music n shit… Lyrically aint nothin on this song that son aint already said better on All Falls Down. If you a hipster muthafucka ya fedora probably did a backflip on ya wig the moment ya heard this shit tho. I mean…Ion HATE this shit but I aint feelin it neither yo.

5. “Hold My Liquor” – Who woulda guessed that a joint witta Chief Keef feature could be one of the best parts of a muthafuckin Kanye album bruh…? If any these tracks got that “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy-esque damn near depress the shit outta you but at the same time make you feel good” shit goin for em…this that one. Shit starts out like…aight, so I guess this ni**a tipsy… Then Keef.. who jus sounds permanently intoxicated wit or without autotune namsayin…gets his unnecessary on durin the hook before Yeezy spits a MESSAGE IN THE FORM OF A IGNORANT ASS KANYE VERSE verse that drunk hoes gon be quotin after they leave the club for the next 5 years. All a sudden shit turns into ‘Lost In The World’ for a minute before its jus some sad guitar or synthesizer type shit at the end. Overall tho…I aint mad at this shit bruh…

6. “I’m In It” – This probably coulda been on MBDTF too… Shit got that Cruel Summer feel to it too (Yall thought THAT shit was hard to enjoy…). But this shit even creepy for a Kanye song bruh…talmbout bitin n eatin ass… Son made sure he mentioned it was some Asian box he was pourin sweet n sour sauce on n a Black chick he was puttin his fist in like a civil rights sign tho. Jus so we kno he not sayin this shit bout his Armenian queen namsayin. But if he WAS describin his baby moms on this song he probably woulda stuck a lamb kebab in her ass n spread baba ghanoush all on it. Listen son….what this muthafucka wanna do in the privacy of his own domain is his business n whatever namsayin…but all I can picture is a seeded up Kim K wit her orca dress half off n a gagball n her mouth when he sayin this nasty shit yo. Ionno what purpose a muthafucka might have for this track other than to have shit to listen to at a Trojan orgy or some shit like that. If you rock latex garments n enjoy painful sex this might be your jam tho….

7. “Blood On The Leaves” – Ok Im startin to feel like the songs on this half of the album is jus MBDTF leftovers now… Shit is on that serene shit wit the dope flip of “Strange Fruit” before it switches up into that FUCK DEM OTHER NI**AZ CUZ IM DOWN 4 MY NI**AZ shit from that awkward ass era of Snoop bein signed to No Limit n makin summa the worst music of his entire life. Apparently Kanye jacked the shit from his own peoples tho…who knows tho. Like the homie Nasir Jones said…its no ideas original…theres nothin new under the sun. Either way this one of the best joints on the album up until he goes ham on the autotune at the end again yo. Fuckouttahere Kanye.

8. “Guilt Trip” – This shit sounds more like Cruel Summer Yeezy than MBDTF Yeezy. Son kept it in the family n sampled the shit from Pusha’s Blocka joint n let Cudder croon some shit at the end too. Theres some opulent shit up under the synths too wit the strings n whatever. Shit is aight. I probably wont skip thru the album to get to track 8 ever but I aint gon hit the skip when it gets there neither. Word is bond…get ya dutty wine on if you wanna ma…

9. “Send It Up” – Ionno who King Louie is but son is all types of mediocre bruh. But thats whats POPPIN right now anyways yo. Ni**as jus want hot garbage all day namsayin. Aint nobody got time for all that INTELLIGENCE shit my ni**a. Dont nobody wanna hear all that MUSICAL shit yo…fuckouttahere wit that musically sophisticated shit wit creative lyrics n concepts yo. But thats neither here nor there feel me? Then the boy Ye come in talmbout “This the greatest shit in the club…since In Da Club”… Naw bruh…shit not een the best shit since “Bands A Make Her Dance” my dude. But shit is aiiiiight which is better than the shit thats jus naaaaah on this muthafucka I guess. Not a lot to say bout this shit. I fucks wit it but at the same time I aint gon show it to my kids 15 years from now talmbout THIS THAT REEEEAAAL MUSIC NOT THAT SHIT YALLS BE LISTENIN TO.

10. “Bound 2″ - This shit is magnificent yo. Word is No ID, Rick Rubin n Heatmakerz helped make this magic happen…I mean you already kno this bout to be a problem son. I aint gon go into too much detail other than the fact that if you aint feelin this then fuck you dont read my shit b. This is magnificence in its purest form. Yeah I mean…it aint musically “PUSHIN THE BOUNDARIES” of whats possible in hip hop like “Black Skinhead” n “New Slaves” but its ENJOYABLE shit you can listen to n ENJOY…right now n not after the shit grows on you. It aint gon challenge you or open up new portals n ya mind that allow you to travel to other dimensions that exist inside of some shit like a leaf or a seashell that you can only see after you align ya chakras n meditate at the top of a hill at 4am ey’day of ya life or whatever. But you can play that shit n ENJOY it. Yeah the lyrics aint exactly some groundbreakin shit neither…its jus more of that simple ass post-Late Registration shit Kanye be doin that 17 yr old muthafuckas wit no life goals or intentions of havin careers be goin apeshit over. But ya kno what…you can listen to this shit mornin or night n still ENJOY it.

So yeah maybe that boy Kanye takin risks… Maybe he not comfortable restin on his laurels n makin shit that muthafuckas is gon be like yooooooooooooooo to soon as they hear it. I appreciate that he tryin new things n pushin the envelope n whatever the fuck…but it dont automatically make that shit poppin. Thing is…ALL Kanye old shit always had soul to it….even that weed plate 808s n Heartbreaks had soul… Summa THIS shit reeeeaaally dont got no soul yo. I kno it aint jus me… Muthafuckas wanna connect to a artists work nahmean…. Whether its a painting…some poems…or a song or whatever whatever. They wanna feel somethin when they hear music…emotions n shit. Whether it make you wanna dance, cry or duff old people in the face…music should make you have impulses to do some shit other than wanna hit the skip button 8 or 9 times nahmean. I actually HATE a lot fewer songs on this album than i thought I did tho. But I still only LIKE a couple tracks…n LOVE one joint. But see..we livin in a age where new songs, mixtapes, n albums be poppin up every .000045 seconds n not a lot of muthafuckas wanna invest they time n patience allowin shit to GROW on em. But maybe thats the bullshit that needs to stop. Maybe this was Kanye tryin to get ni**as to pump they brakes or try sumn new…like he sayin I KNO YALL LOVE TURKEY BUT YALL EVER TRIED MONGOOSE? …but we tryin the mongoose n summa us is like NAW NI**A n summa us is like OH THIS SHIT IS POSITIVELY DELIGHTFUL…BRAVO KANYE…I FEEL LIKE KICKIN OFF MY TOMS N DOIN CARTWHEELS ACROSS THIS MEADOW n shit. Some muthafuckas is gon be more open to it. Others not so much… Somebody whose opinion I respect said Kim K box gotta be trash…cuz Amber Rose inspired MBDTF. That shit resonated wit me son. But this shit? Not so much. Then again maybe Kanye not makin music for muthafuckas like me right now. Maybe he makin shit for sensitive perverted ni**as that dont like drums. Or maybe he hopin ni**as is gon follow him wherever he goin. All I kno is son aint fall off. Like…he definitely CHOOSIN to do some other OTHER shit right now… Its like when he made 808s n Hearbreak n then bounced back wit MBDTF. Whether you fucks wit this shit or not…he definitely pushed the art n the culture forward…like pullin out a kids rotten teeth n allowin the new ones to grow in. Ion personally ENJOY this shit the way I usually ENJOY Kanye albums but he definitely got muthafuckas reevaluatin shit. We reactin to it. Even the ni**as that LIKE like this music is sayin ni**as jus dont GET it n actin wild defensive n shit… Im sayin 1) Fuck yall n 2) Maaaaaaybe yall right. First time I heard this shit I was like GET KANYE THE FUCK OUTTA HERE. Now Im thinkin hol up…did I miss some shit here? Thats art right there yo.

Aight peace.

I give this shit 3.5 Zeus Slaps outta 5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:00 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Probably because it is bad. :)

Yet, literally everyone in the world except you loves it. :D

Critical reception[edit]

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy received rave reviews from music critics.[139] At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 94, which indicates "universal acclaim", based on 45 reviews.[140] Andy Gill of The Independent called it "one of pop's gaudiest, most grandiose efforts of recent years, a no-holds-barred musical extravaganza in which any notion of good taste is abandoned at the door".[141] Entertainment Weekly's Simon Vozick-Levinson commended West's "outrageously hedonistic lyrics" and stated "West has tricked out these tracks with sharper verses and grander instrumental interludes, then lined them up in a sequence that demands to be heard from start to finish [...] essential components of a soundly built structure—easily his most consistently compelling full-length since 2005′s Late Registration".[34] Los Angeles Times writer Ann Powers called its music "Picasso-like, fulfilling the Cubist mandate of rearranging form, texture, color and space to suggest new ways of viewing things".[42] David Browne of Time dubbed it West's "most extravagant work [...] congested, constantly bustling", writing that it "reasserts the fact that few combine disparate elements as smoothly as West".[142] Dan Vidal of URB stated "Kanye (much like Miles Davis) has the ability to bring out the strengths of his collaborators — squeezing out the essence of their artistic persona as highlights for the music that he creates".[137]
Rolling Stone writer Rob Sheffield cited it as West's best album and "his most maniacally inspired music yet, coasting on heroic levels of dementia, pimping on top of Mount Olympus [...] Nobody else is making music this daring and weird".[138] Sputnikmusic's Channing Freeman noted "a zest for life in these songs that is really quite beautiful" and viewed it as "the first album in which he's truly lived up to his potential in every way - as a rapper, as a lyricist, as a songwriter".[143] Jon Caramanica of The New York Times described it as "a startlingly maximalist take on East Coast rap traditionalism" and called West "a better rapper than he’s ever been".[144] The Village Voice's Sean Fennessey commented that "Kanye is rapping and singing better and with more tenacity than he ever has on Fantasy", and called the album "a staggering, often breathtaking work [...] masterfully engineered and sequenced, each song bleeding over like some long night out into the hazy morning after".[36] Anslem Samuel of XXL praised the "intricately constructed tracks" for "framing [West's] heartfelt outbursts and honest inner reflections".[145] Chris Martins of Spin noted its production as "loud and proud, but also poignant and gripping" and called the album "a sinister, orchestral, hugely grandiose affair that owes as much to the artist's self-aggrandizing ego as to the voracious id that would destroy it publicly".[45]
Kitty Empire of The Guardian criticized its lyrics regarding "women as ruthless money-grabbers" but called the album "herculean [...] a flawed near-masterpiece".[136] Although he found West's rapping inconsistent, Allmusic editor Andy Kellman called it "a deeply fascinating accomplishment" in West's catalogue and stated, "As fatiguing as it is invigorating, as cold-blooded as it is heart-rending, as haphazardly splattered as it is meticulously sculpted, [the album] is an extraordinarily complex 70-minute set of songs. [...] As the ego and ambition swells, so does the appeal, the repulsiveness, and – most importantly – the ingenuity".[33] Chicago Tribune writer Greg Kot complimented its "collision of opulence and emptiness" and West's transparency, noting "his almost pathological allegiance to expressing his emotions, unfiltered [...] a curious mix of bravado and vulnerability".[47] Nitsuh Abebe of New York called the album "adventurous, fierce, and full of vitality" and stated, "Its guiding principle seems to be to go in harder on every front: Be more opulent and arty, be more vicious and aggrieved, be more 'complicated' and self-lacerated".[146] Slant Magazine's Matthew Cole viewed it as a milestone in hip hop music and lauded its themes of "self-aggrandizement and self-effacement", writing that it "allows Kanye a thematic palette broad enough to confront his pride and anguish".[44] Pitchfork Media's Ryan Dombal called it "a hedonistic exploration into a rich and famous American id".[35] David Amidon of PopMatters complimented West's dichotomous themes and noted "there are few more human albums in hip-hop".[43]
Accolades[edit]

Review aggregate site Metacritic dubbed it "the runaway consensus pick of music critics for the best album of 2010".[147]
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy appeared on numerous music critics' and publications' end-of-year albums lists.[148] Chicago Tribune writer Greg Kot included it at number seven on his list of the year's top albums, writing that it "turns contradictions into strengths, a mix of classical opulence, grimy beats, boldness and vulnerability".[149] PopMatters named it the year's fourth best album in its year-end list, calling it "Kanye West’s self-portrait, in Cubism: complex, petulant, somewhat paranoid, but bursting with ideas and never boring".[150] The Guardian included it at number two on its list of 2010's top 40 albums and commented that West "remains, on record, one of the most compelling artists of our time".[151]
Many critics and publications named it the best album of the year,[148] including Billboard,[152] Time,[153] Slant Magazine,[154] Pitchfork Media,[155] Rolling Stone,[156] and Spin. The magazine's Charles Aaron wrote that it "is 2010's album of the year because Kanye dramatizes ... with a budget-averse musical imagination that's ominous, symphonic, heartsick, riff-ravaged, and driven by the most technically legit rapping he's ever managed".[157] The A.V. Club ranked the album at the top of its year-end list and commented on its significance, stating "Fantasy is an idiot-savant smash, an example of a musician overreaching, yet triumphing through dumb bravado and an imagination gloriously unfettered by logic. Kanye actually set out to make the album of the year when nobody listens to albums anymore".[158] My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was voted best album in The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop critics' poll for 2010,[159] winning by the largest margin in the poll's history.[160] The singles "Power", "Runaway", and "Monster" were voted in the top-10 of the Pazz & Jop's singles list.[160] Metacritic, which collates reviews of music albums, named it the best-reviewed album of 2010.[147]
In 2012, Rolling Stone ranked the album number 353 on its list of the 500 greatest albums of all time,[161] and Complex included it in their list of "25 Rap Albums From the Past Decade That Deserve Classic Status

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I liked Stankonia a lot. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

I have listened to it about 5 times and it really isn't growing on me. He needs a padded room ASAP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:09 pm 

i have to admit i've listened to "black skinhead" about 10 times now. haven't listened to much else on the record yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:29 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I liked Stankonia a lot. :lol:

It isn't bad. Not bad at all. I like it.

But it isn't even their best album...let alone the best rap album ever.

Music reviews / reviewers are faulty. Most Top40 reviewers only listen to Top40... they don't even listen to / haven't even heard of what most of the English speaking world considers great modern music.

You should not be allowed to review music unless you listen to all music.

Would you listen to a food critic who only eats fast food?

Thats silly. You think XXL, Rolling Some and Pitchfork only listen to top 40?

Which great modern music goes unreviewed? They listen to 99.9% of music you've ever heard in your life

And its not just the good reviews. Its the insane agreement and praise it got across the board I was pointing out

But of courese that doesn't make it great but I didn't say that. I just said you're in the minority

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Finished listening on Spotify at work so wasn't fully paying attention. But, this CD is not good. Bizarre is the word I'd use to describe it. Kanye went off his rocker with whatever this was.

The only song I like was the last one. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
Looking forward to both, this and J.Cole's.

Really like J Cole's album. Not sure if it is because I had listened to Yeezus about 5 times before. I've liked him since "Star is Born". I thought he had the best verse on that track.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 am 

I'm liking the album. It takes a few listens to start to get into it.

However, I do have to laugh at some of the lyrics when Kanye CHOSE to have a baby with a person that has basically turned herself and her family into a corporation and likely has multiple Hamptons style houses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:51 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'm liking the album. It takes a few listens to start to get into it.

Careful, that's not the cool thing to say.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
However, I do have to laugh at some of the lyrics when Kanye CHOSE to have a baby with a person that has basically turned herself and her family into a corporation and likely has multiple Hamptons style houses.

Why? I mean what are the eye roll lyrics?

I dl'd it but have been too busy to transfer it to mp3