It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A little follow up
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:49 am 

Mr. Belvidere.... "won the career lottery?" Do you really believe that? Perhaps that first break getting a foot in the door is good fortune, but if somebody sucked at it, they wouldn't develop any tenure because they'd be gone. To your point about the hosts talking hardcore sports and leaving their personal lives alone.... well.... that's one way to do it. But it would make for BOR-ING...BOR-ING....BOR-ING radio.

How much is there really to say about where it went off track for Carlos Marmol? About Michael Frolik's contributions to the Cup run? What separates the most successful from the reasonably credible sports yakkers is personality. Talk radio, whether it's sports talk, news talk, you pick the genre.... goes to higher levels with interest and ratings when a connection is established between a host and a consumer.

On the way back from Six Flags Great America Tuesday, Patrick wanted to take a music break and "listen to the talk." He doesn't care which outlet and I'm not sure how much he really gets out of the conversation (likely very little). I popped on ESPN. The treat was Jesse Rogers and Tom Waddle speculating (for a good long time) on what went wrong in the Tom Thibodeau-Ron Adams relationship. Does this not encapsulate the basement to which sportsradio has descended? Who fucking cares. After reading the board's reports on what's been moving the meters this week, I'm thrilled to be missing it...as a host and as a consumer.

As for a book being a "negotiating ploy like Terry".... that's off by a mile. I do have two books in mind, but there's very little money in publishing. It's publish or perish for many of us. No management team is going to take "I'm gonna write a book instead of doing my show" as a serious threat. A book project could be a part of how I piecemeal a living if I don't re-up with the Score next summer. There are several other "projects" I've discussed with decision makers (only one in radio). One never knows, but I'd bet against my involvement with a daily 9-1 show after next June.

Post subject: Re: A little follow up
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Mac wrote:
Mr. Belvidere.... "won the career lottery?" Do you really believe that? Perhaps that first break getting a foot in the door is good fortune, but if somebody sucked at it, they wouldn't develop any tenure because they'd be gone. To your point about the hosts talking hardcore sports and leaving their personal lives alone.... well.... that's one way to do it. But it would make for BOR-ING...BOR-ING....BOR-ING radio.

How much is there really to say about where it went off track for Carlos Marmol? About Michael Frolik's contributions to the Cup run? What separates the most successful from the reasonably credible sports yakkers is personality. Talk radio, whether it's sports talk, news talk, you pick the genre.... goes to higher levels with interest and ratings when a connection is established between a host and a consumer.

On the way back from Six Flags Great America Tuesday, Patrick wanted to take a music break and "listen to the talk." He doesn't care which outlet and I'm not sure how much he really gets out of the conversation (likely very little). I popped on ESPN. The treat was Jesse Rogers and Tom Waddle speculating (for a good long time) on what went wrong in the Tom Thibodeau-Ron Adams relationship. Does this not encapsulate the basement to which sportsradio has descended? Who fucking cares. After reading the board's reports on what's been moving the meters this week, I'm thrilled to be missing it...as a host and as a consumer.

As for a book being a "negotiating ploy like Terry".... that's off by a mile. I do have two books in mind, but there's very little money in publishing. It's publish or perish for many of us. No management team is going to take "I'm gonna write a book instead of doing my show" as a serious threat. A book project could be a part of how I piecemeal a living if I don't re-up with the Score next summer. There are several other "projects" I've discussed with decision makers (only one in radio). One never knows, but I'd bet against my involvement with a daily 9-1 show after next June.

Dont you mean Thibodeau- Foreman?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Mac wrote:
but if somebody sucked at it, they wouldn't develop any tenure because they'd be gone.

The candyman can.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Mac,

I liked how you used ESPN and Jesse Rogers and Tom Waddle to make your point, although your own station (especially B&B) does the same thing. Can't rip the teammates, right?

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Mac wrote:
One never knows, but I'd bet against my involvement with a daily 9-1 show after next June.

i think the key word here is daily..... i bet you'd love to do a podcast cuz that medium has become extremely viable over the years, not to mention you've got an advantage in that you've got longtime relationships with sales/marketing people so you'd prolly be able to wing some sort of sponsorship.

just look to your partner for inspiration.... nobody wants to do a daily show!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Mac wrote:
but I'd bet against my involvement with a daily 9-1 show after next June.

Great, the idiot chuckle crew in the morning and then Bernstein and clones from 9am - 11pm.

Thank the lord for the glory of podcasts and spotify.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Mac wrote:
One never knows, but I'd bet against my involvement with a daily 9-1 show after next June.

I hope this statement is an early negotiating ploy. That would suck. IMO right now your show is the only sports talk show worth listening to now that B&B has become unlistenable for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Mac wrote:

That's a pretty big bombshell. Maybe he wants B&B's slot?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Mac,
As an old guy on here,I hope you stick around WSCR. I have listened since your days with Coppock,but for some reason (SCORE loyalty?) stopped when you moved to AM 1000. I agree that personality moves the meters and when others have tried to be "personal" that is where they falter. Enjoy your time off. Come back for a real interesting Bears season!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Hatchetman wrote:
Mac wrote:

That's a pretty big bombshell. Maybe he wants B&B's slot?

oooh i never looked at it that way.... good point. i'm pretty sure that throughout these return-to-der-schnorr years i've heard mac mention that he'd love to do what he's best at: getting people home.

the only problem is that it's WDAN radio, and that ain't mean mcneil.

* heads out to the store to pick up plot-thickener *

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
spmack wrote:
Mac,

I liked how you used ESPN and Jesse Rogers and Tom Waddle to make your point, although your own station (especially B&B) does the same thing. Can't rip the teammates, right?

:D

Exactly. How much time has B&B spent this week discussing Forman/Adams/Tibs?

Answer: a lot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
sinicalypse wrote:
* heads out to the store to pick up plot-thickener *

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're the best, Sini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:57 am 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:

Say it ain't so Mac!

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:00 am 

It's not WDAN. It's WRAM.... as in Rod and Mitch. They control the station... as it should be.

Jimmypasta, I agreed with your comment in another thread about North. I don't know what happened the last seven or eight years because I wasn't there and rarely listened. In the beginning, however, North's every man approach defined the station. And his goofiness (racing Chris Zorich in a 40-yard dash, doing a bunch of appearances, etc) connected 820 to its audience. It's sad those days are a distant memory and likely never will return. The Score used to be a fraternity and everybody was welcome to join.

I'm not afraid of criticizing teammates....but I didn't hear what B&B did Monday with the Bulls stuff. You guys report they did four hours on it. I would have missed about three hours and fifty-nine minutes of it had I been "listening."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Be thankful Dan you didn't listen to Bernsie pissing all over Hawks fans in general and the Stanley Cup itself in particular.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
The Score without Mac to keep it grounded in reality and fun is not a station I'm going to be listening to.

Mac, if you really are going to pursue other avenues I just hope you groom Finfer or whoever into tip top shape, Meat will be OK if he stays mentally even. If it's going to be BernSTINE clones from 9-6pm, you can count me out. I'm hoping by that time ESPN will actually put in an effort to improve programming or that a 3rd viable option pops up. I won't hold my breath.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boring. With the next update, please tell us what you'd like to do to BernStine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
SomeGuy wrote:
The Score without Mac to keep it grounded in reality and fun is not a station I'm going to be listening to.

Mac, if you really are going to pursue other avenues I just hope you groom Finfer or whoever into tip top shape, Meat will be OK if he stays mentally even. If it's going to be BernSTINE clones from 9-6pm, you can count me out. I'm hoping by that time ESPN will actually put in an effort to improve programming or that a 3rd viable option pops up. I won't hold my breath.

That's how I feel too. I listen to bernstein and I like his show and I like criticizing him, but I have no use for his army of clones. When I hear the imitations I actually feel embarrassed for the imitators and it's worse when it's a loser like Maddux Boy or Baffoe or Schmutzie. At least Larry is getting paid tall bank for his bernstein impression.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Franky T wrote:
Mac wrote:

I hope this statement is an early negotiating ploy. That would suck. IMO right now your show is the only sports talk show worth listening to now that B&B has become unlistenable for the most part.

+1

Mac finally is on a station we can pick up downstate. Sure as hell hope he's talking about a different shift.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Mac.

Its interesting that you never mention Spiegel anymore here & ignore the comments made about him here. It wasn't long ago that you would defend him often. That's very telling.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:25 am 

Scorehead wrote:
Mac.

Its interesting that you never mention Spiegel anymore here & ignore the comments made about him here. It wasn't long ago that you would defend him often. That's very telling.

Agreed. And I think it is very telling that he specifically mentioned betting against him doing a 9 to 1 show after next June. He didn't say to bet against him being on the Score next June, just a 9 to 1 show.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
RFDC wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
Mac.

Agreed. And I think it is very telling that he specifically mentioned betting against him doing a 9 to 1 show after next June. He didn't say to bet against him being on the Score next June, just a 9 to 1 show.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac,

Thanks for the reply to me and me alone.

Quote:
There are several other "projects" I've discussed with decision makers (only one in radio). One never knows, but I'd bet against my involvement with a daily 9-1 show after next June.

WEBIO II? LMAO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Mac wrote:

I'm not sure if this was a cheap shot at the NBA talk, or just a self-admitted NBA hater treating basketball stories in half-assed ways. Either way, I agree Thibs vs Adams is boring, but this is Thibs vs Forman. Big difference. If Mac can't see this story's potential ramifications for Thibs' future in Chicago, and for the Bulls' title chances over the next 2-5 years, then that's just the type of NBA dumb even an uninterested sports radio host can't afford to be about the city's second best chance for another championship.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
Franky T wrote:
+1

Mac finally is on a station we can pick up downstate. Sure as hell hope he's talking about a different shift.

Me too Matt. I used to hate winter, because I could only listen to about an hour of Mac Jurko and Harry.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
veganfan21 wrote:
I'm not sure if this was a cheap shot at the NBA talk, or just a self-admitted NBA hater treating basketball stories in half-assed ways. Either way, I agree Thibs vs Adams is boring, but this is Thibs vs Forman. Big difference. If Mac can't see this story's potential ramifications for Thibs' future in Chicago, and for the Bulls' title chances over the next 2-5 years, then that's just the type of NBA dumb even an uninterested sports radio host can't afford to be about the city's second best chance for another championship.

You are just all kinds of correct.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:09 pm 

It's definitely Mac's continuation of the "NBA sucks and the NHL is great" convo that he started last week, I just like the way that he used Rogers and Waddle on the station down the dial as a way of saying it sucks without having to call out his own teammates for the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Keeping Score wrote:
He kind of called them out though in a different way by saying that he wasn't even listening to his own station.

#TeamPlayer

W&S is best afternoon drive show in Chicago. Probably habit that he flipped to 1000AM on his drive home.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
spmack wrote:
It's definitely Mac's continuation of the "NBA sucks and the NHL is great" convo that he started last week, I just like the way that he used Rogers and Waddle on the station down the dial as a way of saying it sucks without having to call out his own teammates for the same thing.

He kind of called them out though in a different way by saying that he wasn't even listening to his own station.

#TeamPlayer

Yeah, I guess that's true, too.