It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:53 am 
1000 CLUB

Just now, Joe was talking about moving into a new place

So Joe's producer gets on the air and they talk about how Spiegel made a Score producer help him move. They laughed and had a tone of disgust that Spiegel uses a Score producer to do non station work for him.

As lowly producers themselves, you can tell they don't like that shit for obvious reasons. It makes them all feel like they're worthless employees that are just around to serve the talk show hosts - on and off the air. All Score producers were most likely already mad at Spiegel for that "Part timer" comment to Drinky. Cuz that comment was really an insult to all of them.

I don't hear Spiegel much, but you guys might be right. He's hated by a lot of people at the Score.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:55 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Beardown wrote:
Just now, Joe was talking about moving into a new place

So Joe's producer gets on the air and they talk about how Spiegel made a Score producer help him move. They laughed and had a tone of disgust that Spiegel uses a Score producer to do non station work for him.

As lowly producers themselves, you can tell they don't like that shit for obvious reasons. It makes them all feel like they're worthless employees that are just around to serve the talk show hosts - on and off the air. All Score producers were most likely already mad at Spiegel for that "Part timer" comment to Drinky. Cuz that comment was really an insult to all of them.

I don't hear Spiegel much, but you guys might be right. He's hated by a lot of people at the Score.

Yes he is.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:16 am 
1000 CLUB

The Score has a long history of producers being allowed to bitch, cry and complain about their lot at the station. All of them always have this depressing "Woe as me" attitude when they get to do shows. Seems like they all want to get sympathy from the listeners.

Add Joe to that list.

Joe is right. Bitch move by Spiegel. It's just how does this come up out of no where while doing Bears post game? I'm shocked that Mitch allows his producers to behave like bitchy, whinny high school girls. This is a big time radio station in a big city. It's small time behavior by these producers when they do this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:23 am 

Beardown wrote:
The Score has a long history of producers being allowed to bitch, cry and complain about their lot at the station. All of them always have this depressing "Woe as me" attitude when they get to do shows. Seems like they all want to get sympathy from the listeners.

Add Joe to that list.

Joe is right. Bitch move by Spiegel. It's just how does this come up out of no where while doing Bears post game? I'm shocked that Mitch allows his producers to behave like bitchy, whinny high school girls. This is a big time radio station in a big city. It's small time behavior by these producers when they do this.

The problem is that Mitch continues to employ & allows the show hosts to behave like bitchy, whinny high school girls.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 am 
1000 CLUB

Right. But the regular day talkers get judged by their ratings. If they're successful, Mitch takes their shit cuz they make his station money. When producers get shows, ratings don't matter cuz nights and weekends don't matter in radio. Since it doesn't matter who hosts these shows, you'd think Mitch would crack the whip on these producers when they behave like bitches.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:53 am 

Beardown wrote:
Right. But the regular day talkers get judged by their ratings. If they're successful, Mitch takes their shit cuz they make his station money. When producers get shows, ratings don't matter cuz nights and weekends don't matter in radio. Since it doesn't matter who hosts these shows, you'd think Mitch would crack the whip on these producers when they behave like bitches.

Mitch doesn't have a whip to crack. He doesn't manage anyone. The Score is a free for all with no leadership.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Scorehead wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Mitch doesn't have a whip to crack. He doesn't manage anyone. The Score is a free for all with no leadership.

He doesn't have to do anything because the foundation for those ratings was laid years ago and because the alternative is so bad people still listen regardless of the product.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Joe Ostrowski always seems to be inconsequentially whining about inconsequential things. His shows should have a theme song that announces this. It can sound like Skinner and the Superintendent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:40 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Ostrowski always seems to be inconsequentially whining about inconsequential things. His shows should have a theme song that announces this. It can sound like Skinner and the Superintendent.

When I first heard him, I assumed he was like a 19 or 20 year old because he is so fucking vapid. Come to find out this motherfucker is pushing 40 and, I think, married with a kid????? And Mike North can't get a job better than the new Whipping Boy? My God, man!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:47 am 

Feelings for Joe O aside.... the princess making the producers move his shit is busch league considering how he treats them. I am thinking Mac would have paid them, gotten them fed well, drunk...etc. The candyman probably just said don't be late to work tomorrow part timer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Vapid

Perfect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Feelings for Joe O aside.... the princess making the producers move his shit is busch league considering how he treats them. I am thinking Mac would have paid them, gotten them fed well, drunk...etc. The candyman probably just said don't be late to work tomorrow part timer.

Or hired professionals. Who over the age of 30 still taps friends and relatives to help with a move? Chicago is filthy with moving companies.
I'd rather flip a friend a $100 to help out hiring his own movers than waste a Saturday and risk injury carrying his dirty laundry and Styx records up and down stairs.

Now if a producer wanted the extra cheese, then, yeah, pay em to help with the move and tell the moving co to send one less undocumented worker.

re" "big time" radio. In the post old media collapse world of 2013, these sports talk shows that get a 1.0 to 3.0 share have anything from 35,000 to ~100,000 listeners--about what a Big Ten student ratio station gets, and far less than even a mid-level podcast gets for downloads. There is virtually no big time radio anymore. it's a niche media market. WSCR gets no big name ad buys anymore--no GMs or Toyotas or Samsungs or HTCs or movie studios or whatever the big consumer-focused ad campaigns are out there at the moment.

And judging by the ads they do have, WSCR listeners are a bunch of deadbeats in arrears to the IRS and student loan underwriters. Must be the just out of college crowd that got fucked on tuition and is now working retail or hospitality that the WSCR ads are targeting.

I don't get the lack of auto-company ads on WSCR. (Maybe other stations have em?) One market radio still does well in is commuters in their cars during drive time. You'd think you'd hear more advertising targeting those folks for new rides or at least auto repair and whatnot. Maybe advertisers figure WSCR listeners are too broke from paying taxes and student loans to buy new cars.

2015 and beyond and the majority cars will have easy internet access and who knows what'll happen to terrestrial radio.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:23 am 

Speaking of the ad buys. I just noticed within the last week that Sycamore Speedway was buying ad time during the show. That should speak volumes. Its fucking hillbilly back ass woods middle of nowhere between Sycamore and Maple Park Sycamore Speedway racing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

Far be it for me to defend Candy but c'mon he can't make anyone help move him. You mean to tell me those guys are soooo afraid of the power that Meat wields at the station that they were afraid to say no? A simple no dude I have something else going on that day wouldve sufficed. You guys are making those guys out to be helpless , tender, naive waifs who cant speak up for themselves and need to be protected from their evil overlords. They're not Derrick Rose for god's sake .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
badrogue17 wrote:
[You guys are making those guys out to be helpless , tender, naive waifs who cant speak up for themselves and need to be protected from their evil overlords. They're not Derrick Rose for god's sake .

:lol: nice finish.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:21 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

When I first heard him, I assumed he was like a 19 or 20 year old because he is so fucking vapid. Come to find out this motherfucker is pushing 40 and, I think, married with a kid????? And Mike North can't get a job better than the new Whipping Boy? My God, man!

Napkin math from his facebook page says he's 34. If you haven't taken your on-air persona past "aw man I don't wanna watch this game but I have to for my fantasy team," it's probably time to give up the ghost.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:

He is bitchy. Always in a bad mood. Joe, can you curb that? Everybody has their troubles in life. When we turn on the Score for Bears post game, nobody needs to hear the pissy talk show host whining and bitching about his life.

This goes for all the producers. They all want to be on the air. So they get their shot with some shifts and they all act like they're too cool for this sports radio hosting. Joe was telling the audience yesterday how he can't wait to go home cuz he got a couple of idiot callers. Really, Joe? You guys have been answering phones for years. You're not too cool for this shit. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO PROVE YOURSELF. This is for what you've been begging Mitch. It's a long shot, but why not take it some what seriously. It's too late for you guys to become doctors and lawyers.

How about try to do a good show with some content. Save the job and life bitching for your wives and girlfriends.

Last edited by Beardown on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
It's always tough to gauge the veracity of stories like this, but if Spiegel really "made" a producer help him move, that's supremely fucked-up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dave In Champaign wrote:
It's always tough to gauge the veracity of stories like this, but if Spiegel really "made" a producer help him move, that's supremely fucked-up.

They never said "made". Forgive me for that. They brought it up and had this disgusted tone about Spiegel doing it. Obviously you can't make somebody move your crap.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:26 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

They never said "made". Forgive me for that. They brought it up and had this disgusted tone about Spiegel doing it. Obviously you can't make somebody move your crap.

You can strongly encourage them to do it though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

You know, maybe one of them did say "Made". I don't remeber. I was 12 ICE HOUSES deep when I heard it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:32 pm 

Beardown wrote:
You know, maybe one of them did say "Made". I don't remeber. I was 12 ICE HOUSES deep when I heard it.

If you are ever down south you need to treat yourself to a case of Southpaw which is made by the icehouse plank road brewery.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:

If you are ever down south you need to treat yourself to a case of Southpaw which is made by the icehouse plank road brewery.

Thanks for the tip. When drinking alone, I like the cheap ICE beers.

Back to Joe, he probably had a decent audience for his late shift last night. Probably a lot of people that have never heard him. Time for him to shine. People wanted to hear Bears postgame.

So for him to be all bitchy. For him to tell everybody how he wants to go home, c'mon. That's bad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:43 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Joe was telling the audience yesterday how he can't wait to go home cuz he got a couple of idiot callers. Really, Joe? You guys have been answering phones for years. You're not too cool for this shit.

This is the fundamental problem with Dan setting the editorial tone for the station. Joe and Connor and Drinky can all whine about having SUCH STUPID CALLERS, but if, god knows how, they had a "smart" caller on the line, they wouldn't know what the fuck to do. The only thing sadder than punching down is punching down from somewhere that's not even that up in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:46 pm 

I see A.J. Pierzynski's freeloading punkass little brother, B.J. Pierzynski.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Joe was telling the audience yesterday how he can't wait to go home cuz he got a couple of idiot callers. Really, Joe? You guys have been answering phones for years. You're not too cool for this shit.

This is the fundamental problem with Dan setting the editorial tone for the station. Joe and Connor and Drinky can all whine about having SUCH STUPID CALLERS, but if, god knows how, they had a "smart" caller on the line, they wouldn't know what the fuck to do. The only thing sadder than punching down is punching down from somewhere that's not even that up in the first place.

Absolutley correct.

Score Producers: Wow, look at the way Bernstein does it. That's fun. He makes 500k doing it that way. I'm gonna do it that way.

CSFMB: You guys are idiots. Idiots can't do it Bernstein's way.

Score Prodcuers: Fuck you.

CSFMB: Exactly what we're talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Beardown wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

You can strongly encourage them to do it though.

This is kind of what I meant; I didn't think he ordered the guy to do it. But a boss even asking a subordinate to do extra work outside of the office is weird and coercive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:57 pm 

My guess is that Spiegel offered someone some work on the side, thinking he was being a good guy and helping someone out, without fully grasping the ramifications of asking an office subordinate to perform manual labor for him as a side job. Maybe he meant well, but Spiegs has been known to falter a little bit in the self-awareness department. To wit,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
in the eternal spirit of screeching weasel (RIP, i shall try to avoid the various zombie incarnations that ben trots out nowadays) i'm going to nickname Joe O "joey vapid" and see if it can gain any traction.... shomer shabbos!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:05 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Maybe Spiegs just asked the guy if he'd like to become a mover this weekend.