It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
My fiance talks to her "Dad" maybe twice a year. There's nothing coming from him. Her Mom doesn't have much money, so we're paying for 90% of the wedding...and we're doing what we want (with the exception of saying fuck it all and going to Vegas).

Looks like I should have discussed Rah's family financials and expected dowry before I fell in love with her. Shame on me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
doug - evergreen park wrote:
My fiance talks to her "Dad" maybe twice a year. There's nothing coming from him. Her Mom doesn't have much money, so we're paying for 90% of the wedding...and we're doing what we want (with the exception of saying fuck it all and going to Vegas).

Looks like I should have discussed Rah's family financials and expected dowry before I fell in love with her. Shame on me.

if I get invited you'll get a nice envelope.

Won't be nothing in it but it will be a nice envelope.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
If I ever get married again, I'm going to have doves released after the ceremony, one for each guest. Then at dinner, I am going to serve squab.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
My wife and I paid in full for our wedding, as well, to secure those precious final decision-making rights. My folks hosted the after-practice picnic which we funded, and her dad demanded to foot the bar tab (which nearly causes him to shit a kitten- 5+ kegs etc) . Made the call to extend the band by an hour really easy. My Bride was frugal then, sewing the bridesmaid dresses herself, and had a friend who insisted on making the cake for costs. No slideshows, just Yaeger shots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Keeping Score wrote:
How much does this fucking thing cost, Frank? Maybe I'll pay for it for ya.

Dope.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
I stand by them nonetheless.
I'm glad you can admit that you're an idiot.

We are paying for at least 75% of ours. My parents are giving us about 1/4 of what the hall will cost, her Dad is paying for the church and flowers, her Mom paid for her dress and that is it. The cost of the shower was supposed to be split. Its now looking like we will have to foot the bill for that too. On everything except the latter, I knew this was going to be the case when I bought the ring.

Call me a bad parent if you want Mr know-it-all Panther, but if/when I have a daughter, for the first 18 years of her life I will be setting up savings for her to go to college, or a trust fund, or life insurance, or any other number of things that actually matter in the long run instead of blowing it all on one night that half the attendees are going to be too drunk to remember anyway. Those are actually good, moral thoughts to stand behind.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:17 pm 

K Effective wrote:
No slideshows, just Yaeger shots.

??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:23 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
When I got married, they had yet to invent the slideshow.

We just hired a series of actors to portray us on stage depicting pivotal developmental moments in our lives.

And it won a Tony Award.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:24 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
How much does this fucking thing cost, Frank? Maybe I'll pay for it for ya.

I am not getting married, but would take any money you are tossing around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:28 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
If I ever get married again, I'm going to have doves released after the ceremony, one for each guest. Then at dinner, I am going to serve squab.

Takeaway Gifts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:29 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
When I got married, they had yet to invent the slideshow.

We just hired a series of actors to portray us on stage depicting pivotal developmental moments in our lives.

And it won a Tony Award.

See Im all about the future.

Ill be asking for .gifs in lieu of gifts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Telegram Sam wrote:
If I ever get married again, I'm going to have doves released after the ceremony,.

are you R. Kelly ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:38 pm 

Weddings and college are great ways to pass on inheritance in a tax free manner. If you think you'll have enough money to provide your kids even a decent inheritance you should probably pay for both.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
My wife and I paid for our own wedding and that's how I wanted it. I was getting married and that way I could do whatever the hell I wanted (like keeping the bar open for an extra hour) without having to "clear it" with whoever.

I stopped taking money from my parents when I was 18 and moved out. You get used to your independence and freedom of choice at that point. Why would I want to take money from somebody else's parents? I had a job.

Why would you not if they were giving it away?

My parents paid for ours. I'm glad they did, we would not have had a reception otherwise. My mom and I disagreed on some things but that's normal. I have great memories of planning, shopping, learning, and compromising. It was a great experience for all of us. It was awesome.

Doesn't matter if it's at a VFW or any of the best hotels/museums/venues downtown or what day it is. If you love the couple and they are in love it's a good wedding. Let me know and I'd be there, nothing is more important or fun than celebrating with the people you love. I have trouble with destination weddings at times though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:13 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Spaulding wrote:
My wife and I paid for our own wedding and that's how I wanted it. I was getting married and that way I could do whatever the hell I wanted (like keeping the bar open for an extra hour) without having to "clear it" with whoever.

I stopped taking money from my parents when I was 18 and moved out. You get used to your independence and freedom of choice at that point. Why would I want to take money from somebody else's parents? I had a job.

My parents paid for ours. I'm glad they did, we would not have had a reception otherwise. My mom and I disagreed on some things but that's normal. I have great memories of planning, shopping, learning, and compromising. It was a great experience for all of us. It was awesome.

Probably personal preference. I could afford to do it the way we wanted. I was 27 years old. It didn't feel right to me to take someone else's money. I really dislike the idea of owing somebody and I consider that too big of an outlay to be considered a "gift".

I'm glad you enjoyed your planning. That sounds like a nightmare to me that I'd gladly pay some $$ to avoid. But, I'm a dude.

(By the way, my original post made it sound like I was running from my parents at 18. Not so. Dr. Ken Sr. and Mrs. Dr. Ken Sr. were great folks.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:14 pm 

Dr. Ken,
Did your parents pay for your Quinceanera?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Spaulding wrote:

His parents had already bought the island the wedding took place on.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
My first wedding was $54 a plate and 200 people. Her parents paid for half, and mine cashed out a whole life policy (of mine). Thanks Mom & Dad!

My 2nd wedding will be $100 a plate and 100 people. Mom and Dad aren't interested this time and have actually encouraged eloping. Thanks Mom & Dad!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:21 pm 

Probably personal preference. I could afford to do it the way we wanted. I was 27 years old. It didn't feel right to me to take someone else's money. I really dislike the idea of owing somebody and I consider that too big of an outlay to be considered a "gift".

I'm glad you enjoyed your planning. That sounds like a nightmare to me that I'd gladly pay some $$ to avoid. But, I'm a dude.

(By the way, my original post made it sound like I was running from my parents at 18. Not so. Dr. Ken Sr. and Mrs. Dr. Ken Sr. were great folks.)

We were 24 and had no money. Now we are 36 and have no money. We wouldn't have had enough at 27 and I wouldn't have spent that much of our dough on a party. No problem spending my parents money. I'm glad your not poor. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:22 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

His parents had already bought the island the wedding took place on.

Next time I'm getting married in space.

Soldier Field - in that area between the WR and the corner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:24 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

We were 24 and had no money. Now we are 36 and have no money. We wouldn't have had enough at 27 and I wouldn't have spent that much of our dough on a party. No problem spending my parents money. I'm glad your not poor. :wink:

I don't begrudge anybody doing it anyway they want. (Are we still talking about weddings?)

I was just sharing, in theory.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:31 pm 

I don't begrudge anybody doing it anyway they want. (Are we still talking about weddings?)

I'm not mad about it. I don't really care. Just wanted to respond to you because there are lots of jerkoffs in this thread. I like talking to you, noisy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:41 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I'm not mad about it. I don't really care.

OK, J'Marcus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:45 pm 

Spaulding nation! I'm a better blocker and don't eat as much as he does.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:29 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I'm not mad about it. I don't really care. Just wanted to respond to you because there are lots of jerkoffs in this thread.

Take that, Hawger.

HA, like she would be talking about me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
My parents paid for the bar and my in laws paid for the hall and dinner. We had Padrinos pay for the cake, invitations etc. We banked the cash and used it as down payment for our house.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
My wedding night was made especially memorable since my next-door neighbor was robbed and murdered about an hour before we arrived home. Wake up the next day to crime-scene tape and law enforcement everywhere. Detective knocks on my door and inevitably asks "can anyone account for you whereabouts last night?" to which I reply "yeah, about 250 people, I got married last night." He goes, "oh...congratulations."

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Furious Styles wrote:
My wedding night was made especially memorable since my next-door neighbor was robbed and murdered about an hour before we arrived home. Wake up the next day to crime-scene tape and law enforcement everywhere. Detective knocks on my door and inevitably asks "can anyone account for you whereabouts last night?" to which I reply "yeah, about 250 people, I got married last night." He goes, "oh...congratulations."

You're the guy who gets interviewed first in all the TV Police Dramas. It always comes back to that first guy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:34 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:

I don't really care about this whole conversation but second weddings are a completely different situation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:39 am 

Spaulding wrote:

Owing your parents? If they did it right, you will never be able to repay what you owe them so might as well just add to the tab.

Do people really look at the things you do and have done for you in a family setting as owing or being owed?

Last edited by good dolphin on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next