It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Concerts Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Random Thoughts:
I'm always surprised (though I shouldn't be by now) at the level of "concert-go" exhibited on the board by a handful(s) of you.
So, I've been thinking about something about the psyche of the music fan.

I don't go to many shows, maybe in the 2-5 a year with one or two of those being the Pumpkins. I don't listen to a lot of music. I rarely listen to music. When I do, it's one album...once or a dozen times, and then I'm done. I notice that my tendencies are similar to other friends of mine that actively play instruments.

I think if you play a lot, you are listening less...and vice versa. Certainly there are moments when there is an equal amount of playing and listening, but I think that is more of a reverse "curve" than the median. It doesn't seem to be the case among the non-instrument players. It's as if the playing and not listening balances the non-playing listener....in that we all love music equally, we just either create it to listen, or listen to what has been created. Not that enlightening...

Travel to shows doesn't seem to be an issue. I know a few of you live a good hour or more from the City. The day of the week is a non-factor.
Musical styles run the gamut, often crossing over. Mix of "old" and new bands.
We all like going to shows, so I don't think it's a "I like live music, so I go to a lot of shows" discussion. It's a I love music, discussion. In order to know about the bands playing at these shows you guys go to, you either have their music and/or saw them live when not being familiar with their material.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:24 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Random Thoughts:
I'm always surprised (though I shouldn't be by now) at the level of "concert-go" exhibited on the board by a handful(s) of you.

I try to get out to 1 a month if I can.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Random Thoughts:

Which is weird because Local H plays at least 2-3 times every month.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:04 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Really conflicted about trying to see Titus Andronicus on this upcoming tour. I missed them in both Chicago and Champaign on this last tour, but I'll be in PA when they go through in November. The problem is I like them a whole lot more than Lucero, but they're relegated to being the opening act.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:35 am 

spanky wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Random Thoughts:

:lol:

I've seen them a shitload of times, that's definitely true. I actually don't check them out as much as I used to. I might catch one of their shows if they play double door or Metro during a year. Back in the day (no pun intended), I was catching most of their shows in the area. Some of my best shows ever were probably seeing them at Otto's out in dekalb, or I might have been incredibly drunk.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:09 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Animal Collective tonight at the Riv

first round's on me, IMU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 am 

Bagels wrote:
Animal Collective tonight at the Riv

hipster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Just won a pair of free tickets to see Amos Lee at the Riverside in Milwaukee tomorrow night. Sweet.
Wasn't expecting to go to his show but should be enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:59 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Just won a pair of free tickets to see Amos Lee at the Riverside in Milwaukee tomorrow night. Sweet.
Wasn't expecting to go to his show but should be enjoyable.

That should be good!

Old 97's next Wednesday at Metro.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I saw Slayer at the Aragon Ballroom yesterday, for sentimental reasons more than anything. It would have been more accurate if it were billed "Kerry King’s guitar w/ special guests Slayer”. The mix from the soundboard was weird. It sometimes sounded as if even Araya’s vox was getting drowned out by King's playing, and whoever that was filling in for Jeff Hanneman while he’s dead may as well have played an unplugged ukulele- it was all but inaudible. King’s leads have always been less inspiring than Jeff Hanneman’s, so that’s a shame. I thought at first that it was just my location, but as the show went on and I wandered around, it didn’t really change much.

It was really weird to see this band sans Jeff Hanneman and Dave Lombardo (who took the Bill Ward route and held out for a bigger cut financially than he was getting)- Lombardo is probably one of the better drummers around today regardless of what genre you’re looking at. Luckily for the band, option B was Paul Bostaph, who also replaced Lombardo the first time he departed from the band in 1992 through 2001, and did a pretty good job himself.

The setlist was prime. I haven’t actively follow this genre of music for a long time, so while God Hates Us All, Christ Illusion, and World Painted Blood are on my iPod, I've never really listened to any of them. Kindly enough, they didn't include a single song in the set that came after 1990’s Seasons in the Abyss. Araya’s bass on Seasons in the Abyss (the song) shook my insides like no bass has before at a show. I have no idea how he can even talk at this point, let alone do justice to the vocals after over 30 years after the band's formation- there are a lot of voices in the music world that wind up shot performing less strenuous material in a much shorter span of time, so it's impressive.
I saw some violence as I gravitated closer to the front of the room, but that was to be expected- because some of the people in attendance would have been mistaken for a shored whale if they were at a beach, so even if they tried to delicately maneuver through the crowd to get a beer or go to the bathroom, they’d inevitably collide with someone, and everyone in the vicinity would be treated to a first-rate demonstration of Newton’s First Law of Physics.

Quote:
Hell Awaits
The Antichrist
Necrophiliac
Mandatory Suicide
Captor of Sin
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Altar of Sacrifice
Jesus Saves
At Dawn They Sleep
Die by the Sword
Spirit in Black
Hallowed Point
Seasons in the Abyss
Strike of the Beast (Exodus cover)
Dead Skin Mask
Raining Blood
Black Magic
South of Heaven
Angel of Death

I left as they were starting Raining Blood, because that song is about as overplayed relative to the band’s catalog as Welcome to the Jungle is with Guns ‘n Roses' catalog. It was impressive to see them plow through the entire set with little or no rest between songs. I’ve never heard of either opening act (4Arm and Gojira), so I didn’t arrive until just before Slayer hit the stage. I love the Aragon Ballroom.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:02 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Have not gotten the tix yet but there is a strong chance I will go see the Lawrence arms NYE show at some place called the concord music hall which i have never heard of. No one else on the bill yet but they usually don't disappoint with their openers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:10 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Have not gotten the tix yet but there is a strong chance I will go see the Lawrence arms NYE show at some place called the concord music hall which i have never heard of. No one else on the bill yet but they usually don't disappoint with their openers.

Concord is a small place that (I believe) the owners of the Congress opened up after that place kept sucking and being more corrupt.

I've never been there. Maybe bagels can fill you in more when he gets back from hanging out with the ladies at the Tennis show tonight. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Swingandalongonetoright wrote:
I saw Slayer at the Aragon Ballroom yesterday, for sentimental reasons more than anything. It would have been more accurate if it were billed "Kerry King’s guitar w/ special guests Slayer”. The mix from the soundboard was weird. It sometimes sounded as if even Araya’s vox was getting drowned out by King's playing, and whoever that was filling in for Jeff Hanneman while he’s dead may as well have played an unplugged ukulele- it was all but inaudible. King’s leads have always been less inspiring than Jeff Hanneman’s, so that’s a shame. I thought at first that it was just my location, but as the show went on and I wandered around, it didn’t really change much.

It was really weird to see this band sans Jeff Hanneman and Dave Lombardo (who took the Bill Ward route and held out for a bigger cut financially than he was getting)- Lombardo is probably one of the better drummers around today regardless of what genre you’re looking at. Luckily for the band, option B was Paul Bostaph, who also replaced Lombardo the first time he departed from the band in 1992 through 2001, and did a pretty good job himself.

The setlist was prime. I haven’t actively follow this genre of music for a long time, so while God Hates Us All, Christ Illusion, and World Painted Blood are on my iPod, I've never really listened to any of them. Kindly enough, they didn't include a single song in the set that came after 1990’s Seasons in the Abyss. Araya’s bass on Seasons in the Abyss (the song) shook my insides like no bass has before at a show. I have no idea how he can even talk at this point, let alone do justice to the vocals after over 30 years after the band's formation- there are a lot of voices in the music world that wind up shot performing less strenuous material in a much shorter span of time, so it's impressive.
I saw some violence as I gravitated closer to the front of the room, but that was to be expected- because some of the people in attendance would have been mistaken for a shored whale if they were at a beach, so even if they tried to delicately maneuver through the crowd to get a beer or go to the bathroom, they’d inevitably collide with someone, and everyone in the vicinity would be treated to a first-rate demonstration of Newton’s First Law of Physics.

Quote:
Hell Awaits
The Antichrist
Necrophiliac
Mandatory Suicide
Captor of Sin
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Altar of Sacrifice
Jesus Saves
At Dawn They Sleep
Die by the Sword
Spirit in Black
Hallowed Point
Seasons in the Abyss
Strike of the Beast (Exodus cover)
Dead Skin Mask
Raining Blood
Black Magic
South of Heaven
Angel of Death

I left as they were starting Raining Blood, because that song is about as overplayed relative to the band’s catalog as Welcome to the Jungle is with Guns ‘n Roses' catalog. It was impressive to see them plow through the entire set with little or no rest between songs. I’ve never heard of either opening act (4Arm and Gojira), so I didn’t arrive until just before Slayer hit the stage. I love the Aragon Ballroom.

I was at this show as well and still recovering :drunken: . The atmosphere overall was very different than other Slayer shows I have been to. It was very subdued in my opinion. The "pit" wasn't very big at all and most people were just chilling and listening. I thought Gary Holt (Exodus guitarist) did a tremendous job filling in for Jeff. I agree that the vocals got drowned out a bit by King but I was able to hear Holt and he had a few showcase moments throughout. And Bostaph did excellent as well - it is is second tour with the band and he fits in perfect. I wish they would have picked a different Exodus cover though, I don't think Strike of the Beast is the best song live and you can tell most of the crowd had no idea what it even was.

I did want to see Gojira but the group I was with was late so we missed them. We went to Hopleaf before the show and apparently some chick from American Pickers was sitting at the table next to us and some of the guys I was with were losing their shit over it and talking to her. She was cool but I never even heard of that show. Although I was surprised at how fast Slayer hit the stage, we got there just in time and I thought we would have had 30 or 40 min to get beers and find a spot. The Aragon is a great venue, I hadn't been in over a decade and need to make sure I don't let that happen again.

I understand the Reign in Blood sentiment, but they have played it at every show since that tour - its a staple and really what put them on top of the metal mountain. The encore was really well done as well - they changed the banner to be this:

I enjoyed the show and the old school setlist - Slayer really is something to see live. No gimmicks, just metal.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:53 am 

spanky wrote:
Maybe bagels can fill you in more when he gets back from hanging out with the ladies at the Tennis show tonight. :D

there were 2 chicks in front of me groovin to that shit like it was P-Funk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm 

Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:
Maybe bagels can fill you in more when he gets back from hanging out with the ladies at the Tennis show tonight. :D

there were 2 chicks in front of me groovin to that shit like it was P-Funk

They have a lot of soul for a couple of trust-fund babies that spend 10 months a year on a yacht writing songs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:20 pm 

the HAIM show sold out in like 2 minutes

just got in in the nick of time 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:40 pm 

Tennis, Haim.......what's next? Lana del Ray?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Douchebag wrote:
spanky wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Random Thoughts:

I've seen them a shitload of times, that's definitely true. I actually don't check them out as much as I used to. I might catch one of their shows if they play double door or Metro during a year. Back in the day (no pun intended), I was catching most of their shows in the area. Some of my best shows ever were probably seeing them at Otto's out in dekalb, or I might have been incredibly drunk.

local h will be out at otto's next friday night, and i am planning on being there. i havent seen local h live in about 15 years, but it still goes as one of my favorite shows.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
man of few opinions wrote:
local h will be out at otto's next friday night, and i am planning on being there. i havent seen local h live in about 15 years, but it still goes as one of my favorite shows.

Otto's is the shit. They used to have 32 oz Guinness drafts for $5.50. Of course, this was many years ago.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Chus wrote:

Otto's is the shit. They used to have 32 oz Guinness drafts for $5.50. Of course, this was many years ago.

There was a bar I used to go to in San Diego (The Liars Club...RIP) where you could get a 32 ounce speedway stout for $5.00. Talk about going from zero to shit show in one beer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:14 pm 

I guess technically it's in 2014, but just picked up some tickets to nick hexum's side project at double door in January. Anybody else going? Douglas?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:01 pm 

Chus wrote:

Those 32ozers used to be $4/each back in the day.

I miss Otto's ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:24 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Chus wrote:

Those 32ozers used to be $4/each back in the day.

I miss Otto's ...

Ahem.

They used to be $2.50 on special. :lol: :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:02 pm 

Spanky is old.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:07 pm 

Girlfriend got two tickets to Jim Gaffigan's stand up show in Milwaukee on December 28th.
I have only been to one big comedy show ( George Carlin ) but she likes these things so
I'll give it a whirl. I don't know much about his comedy but he'll probably be pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:21 pm 

spanky wrote:

Breeders next Saturday, continuing my run of female-fronted groups

and Speedy Ortiz is opening who i also dig, should be fun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:24 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Girlfriend got two tickets to Jim Gaffigan's stand up show in Milwaukee on December 28th.
I have only been to one big comedy show ( George Carlin ) but she likes these things so
I'll give it a whirl. I don't know much about his comedy but he'll probably be pretty good.

I saw him about 5 years ago. He's good. Most of his act revolves around him being fat, lazy, and talk about food.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:47 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I saw him about 5 years ago. He's good. Most of his act revolves around him being fat, lazy, and talk about food.

These are all subjects that I can relate to. Perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:49 pm 

Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:

The Breeders were bad at Pitchfork this summer. I'm no expert, but it seems to me she may not have gotten over her "issues".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:51 pm 

spanky wrote:
Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:

The Breeders were bad at Pitchfork this summer. I'm no expert, but it seems to me she may not have gotten over her "issues".

i've heard different reports from others, not saying i don't believe you but it could have been a bad day, who knows. or some bad drugs. for me it's a no-brainer, plus it's not all that often there's an opening band you actually know and like already too

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next