It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Mac is gone, maybe for good.

That's just stupid. The station is not going to want to see him leave. They may not want to pay him what he's worth, but they are smart enough to know that his show kicks espn's ass every ratings period and he is the biggest reason. He'll be back soon and the show will go back to being great. Now, what happens when his contract is up, is hard to say at this point.

Is it just stupid? Yeah, most of Steve's posts are but we mean what Someguy said.

They've renamed the show. Spiegel and Holmes. Even got big voice guy doing that now. I don't remember them having that done during the last major MacDisruption.
The schedule on the website says Spiegel and Holmes.

Why would they have big voice guy do "Spiegel and Holmes" if Mac was soon to return?
Strange.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I gotta bad feeling when I heard the new promos. But there was also a mention today of "Danny Green and Gold".

Maybe they know it's going to be a prolonged absence.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Cubbiegirlside

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

That's just stupid. The station is not going to want to see him leave. They may not want to pay him what he's worth, but they are smart enough to know that his show kicks espn's ass every ratings period and he is the biggest reason. He'll be back soon and the show will go back to being great. Now, what happens when his contract is up, is hard to say at this point.

Is it just stupid? Yeah, most of Steve's posts are but we mean what Someguy said.

They've renamed the show. Spiegel and Holmes. Even got big voice guy doing that now. I don't remember them having that done during the last major MacDisruption.

Why would they have big voice guy do "Spiegel and Holmes" if Mac was soon to return?
Strange.

Indeed. Steve is, yet again, unable to properly comprehend the big and little picture concerning, uh, stuff. I guess Ole' Steverino missed how long Mac has been out for, missed the promos, missed why Mac is out, missed out on Mac's history of this and so on, so forth.

They could be telling him to take care of business at home and are simply hedging their bets in case he simply fades away. Maybe testing out a new show format/line up? Management has to take all into account.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/category/the-mcneil-and-spiegel-show/

#TheReturn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
-Man Uses Stun Gun On Wife After Winning Bet On Bears-Packers Game? :? :?

Poor Sheri :( :( :(

Changing name to Holmes & Spiegel, apparently: :( :cry:
http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/60 ... -wfld-more

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Word offically out of the name change.
Could we have heard the last shitty call from steve in burbankhurst to the score?
Please god. Please.

Fort knox....
Putz.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
BF won't like this news but Mac is out regardless of why and Leery is in. He will really be talking down to the interns now. I predict Meat blowing up at him in no less than 3 weeks or so.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:46 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
I predict Meat blowing up at him in no less than 3 weeks or so.

And when he does I hope it's well thought out, thorough and professionally appropriate. And a finisher.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:50 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
jimmypasta wrote:
BF won't like this news but Mac is out regardless of why and Leery is in. He will really be talking down to the interns now. I predict Meat blowing up at him in no less than 3 weeks or so.

They feed off each other. I don't know which one is the bigger idiot douchebag.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:53 am 

Spaulding wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

They feed off each other. I don't know which one is the bigger idiot douchebag.

That's because you have Laurence on ignore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:55 am 

Speigel has been worse to the staff and interns thn Sir has, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:57 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Speigel has been worse to the staff and interns thn Sir has, imo.

That's just because you like Drinky

:P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:00 am 

I used to like drinky. Beardown showed me why I shouldn't. There is truth in some of his ramblings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
SomeGuy wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Strange.

Indeed. Steve is, yet again, unable to properly comprehend the big and little picture concerning, uh, stuff. I guess Ole' Steverino missed how long Mac has been out for, missed the promos, missed why Mac is out, missed out on Mac's history of this and so on, so forth.

They could be telling him to take care of business at home and are simply hedging their bets in case he simply fades away. Maybe testing out a new show format/line up? Management has to take all into account.

Between this, and not understanding what hazing is, it's been a rough couple of days for Steve.

Steve, ESPN let Mac go, despite the fact that he consistently beat B&B in the ratings.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac is the Richie Incognito of radio. Not worth the trouble to have the giant douche around

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Mac is the Richie Incognito of radio. Not worth the trouble to have the giant douche around

youre the incognito of the internet. i would throw shoes at you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:58 am 

Mitch is so damned desirous of having Sir in a day part. I'm sure they'll drift around for a while posting decent numbers based entirely on the backs of the shows that preceed and follow them. Then they will see some erosion in the ratings. Then they will see some erosion in the ratings of B and B and M and H. In response Mitch will shake up the other two shows while keeping Sir in his position.

This is bad news.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Wonderful news.

Laurence W. Holmes: The hardest working man in Chicago sports radio...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
good dolphin wrote:
Mitch is so damned desirous of having Sir in a day part. I'm sure they'll drift around for a while posting decent numbers based entirely on the backs of the shows that preceed and follow them. Then they will see some erosion in the ratings. Then they will see some erosion in the ratings of B and B and M and H. In response Mitch will shake up the other two shows while keeping Sir in his position.

This is bad news.

Laurence is balck and relatively young, two demos that the score would love to brandish to advertisers. He ain't going anywhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:48 am 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Wonderful news.

It is wonderful in that I don't listen during those hours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:49 am 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Wonderful news.

I wish it was Holmes on his own. He's much better solo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
sinicalypse wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

This is bad news.

Laurence is balck and relatively young, two demos that the score would love to brandish to advertisers. He ain't going anywhere

Does he bring in those demos though?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I wasn't a huge fan of Mac's but would listen at times during the NFL season but there is absolutely no way I would listen to Holmes. I am not sure how he gets any on air time. He has never said anything thought provoking but with all the dramatic pauses he acts as if everything out of his mouth is thought provoking.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Does he bring in those demos though?

of course not. i reckon to a good % of "the community" (you know, the mythical chicago ave entrepreneurs in white undershirts) laurence is the epitome of rob parker's "cornball brother" quip, and i don't think laurence is exactly building a bridge from sportsville to land of comic book dwellers via being "one of [them]"

honestly, i bet they'd rather have gone with goff in this (token?) position however as beardown can attest to he pissed off da'ma'neel who decided to throw his once-considerable weight around and effectively cockblock the goffralopithicus' chance of ending up in laruence's current position, so fortunately for him CBS sports/radio is into checking the viability of "urban sports talk" and therefore goff was able to shack up in the land of the DL brothers.

i just kinda figure if the parent corporation CBS is starting up "urban sports talk" stations in top-10/ish markets, go figure they'd wanna have someone "urban" talking sports in their chicago market. and right now laurence is all they've got, unless they wanna bite the bullet and see if hrrrrbbbbb can drive his own show. i'm actually kind of surprised i never hear him on weekends or anything... where's beardown with the #Truth on this one?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Wonderful news.

I wish it was Holmes on his own. He's much better solo.

I agree with that.

When he's dictating the flow and content, it's much smoother.

It's more difficult for him to "do his thing" when someone else is there. The unintentional comedy is there, but it's not as prevalent as it is when he's solo. When it becomes clearer, I'm sure he'll demand that Spiegs shuts up while he talks about almost getting into fights and hot local anchor women...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I can't wait until you Spiegel and Holmes get into it...probably when Holmes tries to take over and Spiegel lets him know the deal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:00 am 

actually, would you lot be excited if the dan mcneil show ended up being hood and spiegel for awhile? obviously not gonna happen, but i always thought hood delivered the goods in terms of a proper sports talker.

and wtf.... laurence dictating the "flow" solo is > with speagol? man, laurence's cadence and diction kills me in his live show... the intentional pauses, the overdone vocal inflection to provide emphasis on his subject matter.... etc. i'll grant you that he wasn't as vanilla as goff effectively taking his show structure straight out of a copy of "sports talk radio show hosting for dummies" like goff did with some of his sporadic night/weekend gigs, but laurence kind of goes off into his own lil semi-autistic world of awe and wonder borne of overemphasis in the nighttime gig.

and btw, disclaimer: laurence indeed hustles his ass off and put/s in the work to be where he is. you definitely can't take it away from him, but i still think he's better suited with a partner to reel him in cuz as it's been pointed out ad nauseum (even in a convenient bingo game format) when he's on his own i think he tends to feel himself a little bit too much as if he was masturbating on the air, and hey, didn't phil jackson once quip that sports talk radio is basically mental masturbation?

hang out with laurence on your average post-NFL-season weeknight and there's some definite wankage involved =D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Hood may talk basketball though, scary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:12 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I used to like drinky. Beardown showed me why I shouldn't. There is truth in some of his ramblings.

His posts are like civet shit; yeah, they're shit, but sift through them enough and you'll occasionally get precious Kopi Luwak-like nuggets of insight.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?