All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
The LoHo Shit Show. Featuring Grimace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
The LoHo Shit Show. Featuring Grimace

If there is an official statement, I will rename the section to the name of the show as it should be called, like all of Learys jobs.

THE SOMEONE QUIT/LEFT/WAS FIRED SO I STEPPED IN SHOW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:42 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
bigfan wrote:
THE SOMEONE QUIT/LEFT/WAS FIRED

Ironically, Mac, by himself, fits all those categories.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:50 pm 

Lou Gerig, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Laurence Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
rogers park bryan wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cal Ripken, Jr. ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

You could at least put the "Larry Bingo" sticky in this section for the time being. It would give Mac something to play while he's trying to get better. I think he'd love it.

Mac: Larry Bingo, Chicago!!!! :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Roberto's
You could call it The Spiegs and Peanut Boner Show...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Uhm, maybe you heard of the MJH show, The Saloon?

It was a PLANNED and PRODUCED show

V. The I am here today because ______ cant make it, Now I am here because _______isnt coming back and they dont want to spend money on anyone new and that will cost real money.

Those are not even close to Macs scenario,

At the same time, everyone needs 1 break and if thats how you get the Break fine. Of course if you have had 4 or 5 chances when others leave, maybe at best you are a fill in

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:38 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Just saying that Mac quit The Score the first time, got fired from ESPN, and left The Score this time.

But, maybe I'm wrong and he got fired from The Score the first time. Forget how that went down.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:39 pm 

Just saying that Mac quit The Score the first time, got fired from ESPN, and left The Score this time.

But, maybe I'm wrong and he got fired from The Score the first time. Forget how that went down.

Believe he quit, may have to google it. Because I remember something about him saying it wasn't a smart decision due to his mortgage.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac: That's a Mackie Bingo, Chicago!!!! :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:45 pm 

http://rickkaempfer.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... ports.html

Quote:
“I was miserable working with Dan Jiggetts. I liked him a lot personally, but we were doing two different shows. I thought the show preceding ours was one of the most hideous things I’d ever heard (Mike North solo); fifteen minutes of David Cassidy followed by a twelve minute commercial break. You know, we were restarting the engines at 4:05 every day—it was brutal. The Score did more than just blow up their station. They let ESPN radio back in the game. I mean they were on the canvas and the referee had already given them a ten count. Harvey Wells (the Score GM), brain surgeon that he is, let them off the mat. I respectfully protested what they were doing in several correspondences with the general manager.”

When that didn’t get the job done, McNeil took his complaints public. He was suspended. He came back on the air and tried to convince them again. It was no use, the Score had set their table, and as far as McNeil was concerned, they didn’t set a place for him.

“I asked them to reconsider politely three times, to consider putting me back with Boers, or even moving me to an overnight shift to just play out my contract. Finally in October, I had enough and said ‘I’m done.’ You guys won’t reassign me, and I’m not working with Dan another day.”

And just like that, a nine year relationship with a radio station ended with a resignation. In his mind, McNeil’s intensity, candor, passion, and love of sports were incompatible with the new Score. He walked away from a $200,000 a year job with nothing lined up, and no place to go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:49 pm 

Hey, I was right!

What are the odds?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 pm 

Hey, I was right!

What are the odds?

4-1 but North got in at 37-1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
bigfan wrote:
bigfan wrote:

At the same time, everyone needs 1 break and if thats how you get the Break fine. Of course if you have had 4 or 5 chances when others leave, maybe at best you are a fill in

Hmmmm I never figured Laurence for a Jeww

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's

Little bit of both.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
badrogue17 wrote:
bigfan wrote:
bigfan wrote:

What?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:06 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

What?

HE SAID HE NEVER FIGURED LAURENCE FOR A JEWW!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:shock: :|

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 am 

Mac was only making 200K at the height of his popularity at the Score? Wasn't this at the same time Pappy was making 1.5 million?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:17 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Mac was only making 200K at the height of his popularity at the Score? Wasn't this at the same time Pappy was making 1.5 million?

I think his deal was 5 years ending in 2008 so Mac left right before they gave North the big contract.

I miss articles and quotes like these -

Quote:
Mike North, WSCR The Score talking contract
February 23, 2008|By Teddy Greenstein

The other day Mike North and his WSCR-AM 670 morning crew batted around names such as Keith Van Horn, Cliff Robinson and Bryant "Big Country" Reeves.

They all are NBA legends, because they parlayed modest talent into hilarious sums of money.

"Remember Cliff Robinson? Get me how much he made in his career!" North barked. "How about Keith Van Horn? He made $112 million? That is unbelievable!"

Equally unbelievable to some in Chicago sports radio is that North, whose contract expires at the end of July, would return to the Score for anything close to the $1.5 million a year he currently commands.

They point to his lackluster ratings and the trend of Chicago radio personalities (Mancow Muller, "Crazy" Howard McGee) breaking up with their suddenly cost-conscious stations.

Two officials guessed that if North were to return to mornings at the Score, he would be paid no more than $400,000.

"Are these the same dopes who thought I could never get $1.5 [million] a year -- and $700,000 a year before that?" North said by telephone. "They don't know how I negotiate or the dynamics between me and the station.

"Here's what I know: I'm an earner, I make money for the company I work for. There are no complaints from their side."

To that end, North said he has been offered a contract to return as the Score's morning host.

North wouldn't divulge details of the offer, but a source close to the negotiations estimated it at between $850,000 and $1 million per year plus ratings bonuses.

"They've made me a generous offer, a nice offer," North said. "I'm also checking out any other options I may have. That's what a good businessman does."

The offer came after North met Rod Zimmerman, senior vice president for CBS Radio Chicago, three weeks ago at Lucky Strike Lanes, near the Score's downtown studios.

"He beat me once, I beat him once," North reported. "We sat down afterward and did some talking. I believe I'm OK as a talk-show host, but I think I'm a better businessman."

Zimmerman wouldn't discuss the offer but said: "There have been proposals back and forth. ... We are talking with Mike privately and hope this relationship will continue."

North, a Score original who began with the station in 1992, might rate well with his bosses, but the fall ratings book was unkind to him. Among men 25-54, WMVP-AM 1000's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" earned a 5.4, compared with North's 3.1.

Though the gap closed from 8-9 a.m. (4.7-3.6), WMVP's late-morning "Waddle and Silvy" show poured it on from 9-10 a.m. Tom Waddle and Mark Silverman earned a 3.9 to North's 2.2.

"People get hung up on ratings," North said. "It is a scoreboard, but it's also not a level playing field, so they don't matter to me."

North has complained that it's difficult to compete with the behemoth that is ESPN and its nationally syndicated "Mike and Mike" show. While Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic are simulcast on ESPN2, North doesn't get much marketing help.

Others take the opposite view, wondering how a Chicago-based show can lose in Chicago -- even during a crummy Bears season.

North, 55, compared himself to the Cubs, historically a loser that crushes competitors at the gate. But the better analogy might be Alex Rodriguez, who's as well-known for his contracts as he is for his stats.

If Rodriguez were traded to Tampa Bay and hit .265, fans would laugh at him. But if his presence sold another 500,000 tickets, owners would love him.

North's advocates say he generates great publicity for the Score -- remember the "Shut the ... up" Ozzie Guillen interview last May? -- and has developed a cadre of loyal sponsors.

North knows the Score reported revenues of nearly $22 million in 2007 to rank a solid eighth among 29 stations in the market.

"You hear people say: 'Radio's changing,'" he said. "In what way? The [advertising] rates aren't changing."

Still, North knows he might have to take a pay cut and dip below seven figures. It's not Van Horn money, but it'll be enough to pay for the mustard on his hot dog.

"I come from a blue-collar family, and my dad worked 80 hours a week as an electrician," he said. "On his deathbed [in 1995] he asked me how much I made and I couldn't tell him, I was too embarrassed. I just told him: 'The family will be taken care of.'"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:49 am 

i say replace speigal with north. let mike bitchslap larry around until larry goes into deep depression and leaves radio.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:07 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I think his deal was 5 years ending in 2008 so Mac left right before they gave North the big contract.

I miss articles and quotes like these -

Quote:
Mike North, WSCR The Score talking contract
February 23, 2008|By Teddy Greenstein

The other day Mike North and his WSCR-AM 670 morning crew batted around names such as Keith Van Horn, Cliff Robinson and Bryant "Big Country" Reeves.

They all are NBA legends, because they parlayed modest talent into hilarious sums of money.

"Remember Cliff Robinson? Get me how much he made in his career!" North barked. "How about Keith Van Horn? He made $112 million? That is unbelievable!"

Equally unbelievable to some in Chicago sports radio is that North, whose contract expires at the end of July, would return to the Score for anything close to the $1.5 million a year he currently commands.

They point to his lackluster ratings and the trend of Chicago radio personalities (Mancow Muller, "Crazy" Howard McGee) breaking up with their suddenly cost-conscious stations.

Two officials guessed that if North were to return to mornings at the Score, he would be paid no more than $400,000.

"Are these the same dopes who thought I could never get $1.5 [million] a year -- and $700,000 a year before that?" North said by telephone. "They don't know how I negotiate or the dynamics between me and the station.

"Here's what I know: I'm an earner, I make money for the company I work for. There are no complaints from their side."

To that end, North said he has been offered a contract to return as the Score's morning host.

North wouldn't divulge details of the offer, but a source close to the negotiations estimated it at between $850,000 and $1 million per year plus ratings bonuses.

"They've made me a generous offer, a nice offer," North said. "I'm also checking out any other options I may have. That's what a good businessman does."

Greenstein wrote the column in February, by May and on through until the end in June, North almost took issue with him daily. At one point he was stealing lines from The Sopranos, threatening to "ballbat" his knees, and declaring him "dead to me." Oh man, those were the mornings of watching a three car pile-up in "Groundhog Day" mode.

The money offered by WSCR was considerably less than stated above and came with conditions that North's ego couldn't accept.

Had he not gone, who knows? The landscape would certainly be different as many people would probably still be in-house at WSCR.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 pm 

Teddy came on the board to respond to North.

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=21928&p=326026#p326026