It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wrestlemania 30
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:42 pm 

Lots of rumors flying around about different things that maybe in the works for Mania. And you gotta figure with it being "30" they are going to look for some big things.

Here are a list of things I found posted that people have been talking about.

Quote:
Although Shawn Michaels has remained steadfast in his refusal to come back for one more match, it is believed that there are those within WWE who are actively trying to get him to come back to work WrestleMania 30. Some believe he will, some believe he won't. If he does, it will be Michaels vs. Daniel Bryan in a match that would almost surely steal the show and quite possibly be one of the best matches in the history of the event.

If you've noticed that John Cena has been mentioning Hulk Hogan's name quite a bit lately, both on television and off, it's because WWE wants him to do just that. It's no accident that Cena is the guy who is largely being tasked with getting the fans ready for "The Hulkster" to return. There was talk for a while of doing a tag team match with the two aligning against a heel duo at WrestleMania 30 but it's looking more and more like Hogan won't get clearance and he'll have to simply have someone run into his punches in a pre-planned spot to get a big pop on his name. Hogan is reportedly pushing for more, but there's only so much give and take here. If Hogan somehow convinces the powers that be to let him work a match, it will be in a tag team to protect him, that much is certain.

While advertisements leaked word early on Batista's return, it's now being said that WWE had always planned to announce the date he's coming back (Jan. 20, 2014) on this past Monday night's episode of Raw. The leak was unfortunate, but it was apparently already set that the video that aired this week would do so.

Sting is now being advertised to work some house shows for TNA in early January. His contract expires that very month, so it's unclear what this means, if anything, but considering how many big names the company has let go or failed to re-sign in the past year, it wouldn't be a surprise if he was the latest to bail. For his part, Sting has been wanting to get out of the business for years now and this might be the perfect time to do it. There's still talk of Sting at WrestleMania 30, but who knows on that.

I can see HBK doing a one time match where he puts his student over, and no doubt it would be an instant classic.

Hogan? Meh. Not interested. But it would not surprise me to see him involved in some way.

Who will they put with Taker this year? Have always wanted to see Sting and Taker. But I am not sure at this point in their careers if they could do it the right way. But the build up to such match would be legendary, and would no doubt draw money.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject: Re: Wrestlemania 30
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:02 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It's too late for Sting to make an impact, don't bother. Hard to give legend status to guy who was most over when he didn't wrestle and didn't talk.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:17 am 

KDdidit wrote:
It's too late for Sting to make an impact, don't bother. Hard to give legend status to guy who was most over when he didn't wrestle and didn't talk.

No doubt Sting is a shell of his former self, and the actual match between Sting and Taker would leave a lot to be desired. But if you think that the promos and build up of a Sting arrival into the E to face Taker would not make an impact and draw money then you just do not understand how the business works.

Whether he does that or not, he is a legend in the business. He was the top baby face in a top company for years. Then he morphed his character into a completely new one and had one of the biggest runs anyone one has had as he stalked Hogan and the NWO leading up to Starcade.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:59 am 

The WWE can make good promos for anyone, they could make better ones for plenty of people not named Sting. Especially because Sting can't cut them very well himself. The Hogan runup was exactly my point though, it was a big run where he didn't wrestle and didn't talk. When he finally did wrestle Hogan it was completely anticlimactic and that program was ended as fast as they could.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Sting beating Hogan clean at Starrcade should have been the end of the NWO, but Hogan and Nash were running the booking committee and WCW couldn't quit that sweet, sweet NWO crack, so it just went out with a whimper years later as a stable consisting of, like, Scott Norton and Brian Adams. The Wolfpack thing was such a slog.

But yeah, Sting as WCW's Face of the Franchise was one of those things that didn't really mean anything to me because I didn't watch WCW before the NWO. I always considered Ric Flair to be that, to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:45 am 

KDdidit wrote:
The WWE can make good promos for anyone, they could make better ones for plenty of people not named Sting. Especially because Sting can't cut them very well himself. The Hogan runup was exactly my point though, it was a big run where he didn't wrestle and didn't talk. When he finally did wrestle Hogan it was completely anticlimactic and that program was ended as fast as they could.

:lol: They can make good promos for anyone?

Um, no actually they cannot.

Sting and Taker would be awesome even if not one of them spoke the entire run up for Mania.

I agree with you that the match with Hogan was not what it could have been. But that really has nothing to do with the point at hand.

The build up to Sting and Taker at Mania would be nearly impossible to screw up. It would make money. The match could and probably would suck because of their ages and injuries right now. But the build up would be great.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:50 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Sting beating Hogan clean at Starrcade should have been the end of the NWO, but Hogan and Nash were running the booking committee and WCW couldn't quit that sweet, sweet NWO crack, so it just went out with a whimper years later as a stable consisting of, like, Scott Norton and Brian Adams. The Wolfpack thing was such a slog.

But yeah, Sting as WCW's Face of the Franchise was one of those things that didn't really mean anything to me because I didn't watch WCW before the NWO. I always considered Ric Flair to be that, to be honest.

I agree with you that it should have been the end of the NWO. The match and the post match stuff should have been handled differently.

Ric Flair was clearly the man during that time period, but one of the reasons he was the man during that time was his work with Sting. And then when Flair was gone, Sting was it. He carried the franchise for a long time.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I would say as of right now listening to things it will be Lesnar-Taker, and could possibly like an MMA fight during their match, I would say no Rock wrestling, may show up.

Listening to the Law last Sunday, talked of Batista-Lesnar.

I have read where Batista wins the Rumble and faces Orton for the belt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:18 am 

yeah I can see it being Lesnar and Taker.

Not too excited about a MMA type of match tho.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:36 pm 

Think I had read a rumor of HBK and HHH vs Bryan and Punk.

On a side note, what has happened to this section? No Raw threads or news threads anymore, and not much MMA talk anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:01 pm 

I don't think, other than smarks, that anyone really wants to see Sting at Wrestlemania. When I said WWE can make good promos for anybody, I meant the video packages, which they can.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:04 pm 

schmitty1121 wrote:
On a side note, what has happened to this section? No Raw threads or news threads anymore, and not much MMA talk anymore.

Just about everyone that talked wrestling moved to the Midwest board.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:53 pm 

The chance of Sting making any kind of big "splash" ended up over 5 years ago. The guy can work a match about as well as Hogan or Flair at this point. No thanks. Him never crossing over to WWE after the buyout was one of the worst career decisions I have ever seen made. Guy probably could have continued to make top money for another decade and supported his family for the rest of their lives.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:17 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
The chance of Sting making any kind of big "splash" ended up over 5 years ago. The guy can work a match about as well as Hogan or Flair at this point. No thanks. Him never crossing over to WWE after the buyout was one of the worst career decisions I have ever seen made. Guy probably could have continued to make top money for another decade and supported his family for the rest of their lives.

Making a big splash as far as work in the right I agree with you. But if he suddenly shows up on Raw and challenges Taker and they begin a 2-3 month run to Mania it would make a splash. There is just no way around it. There are enough fans that have wanted to see Sting vs. Taker that it would make an impact no matter how bad the actual match was.

Now on to your latter point I completely agree. Sting should have come over. It was a stupid decision and one I am guessing he regrets often.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:20 pm 

All that time Sting spent not saying anything and then when he finally did it was just like "Hogan, hope you like gettin' stung, cuz it's Stinger time, baby!", or something that even by the standards of professional wrestling was astoundingly vacuous and inane.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:26 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
All that time Sting spent not saying anything and then when he finally did it was just like "Hogan, hope you like gettin' stung, cuz it's Stinger time, baby!", or something that even by the standards of professional wrestling was astoundingly vacuous and inane.

This is the wrestling section, save the big words for the B&B section. :P

Criticizing Sting for not talking during that run just does not make a lot of sense IMO. It goes against the entire character they created. It would have probably been better if they kept him completely silent.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:35 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

This is the wrestling section, save the big words for the B&B section. :P

Criticizing Sting for not talking during that run just does not make a lot of sense IMO. It goes against the entire character they created. It would have probably been better if they kept him completely silent.

Well it was a good idea since he's average on the mic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I would love to see
Sting vs. Rock
Undertaker vs. Orton.
Lesnar vs. Cena

They need to bring in the big guns!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:55 pm 

5th grade me thought it was awesome when they did that one voiceover with the little kid. I bet if I read a transcript of it now, it would sound like bad myspace poetry.

EDIT: hoo boy

Quote:
When a man's heart is full of deceit, it burns up, dies, and a dark shadow falls over his soul.
From the ashes of a once great man has risen a curse.
A wrong that must be righted.
We look to the skies for a vindicator.
Someone to strike fear into the black hearts of the same men who created him.
The battle between good and evil has begun.
Against an army of shadows comes a dark warrior.
The purveyor of good with the voice of silence and a mission of justice.
THIS IS STING.

Actually it sounds like Mellon Collie filler.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
I would love to see
Sting vs. Rock
Undertaker vs. Orton.
Lesnar vs. Cena

They need to bring in the big guns!

Undertaker and Orton was at Mania 21.

Sting and Undertaker would be bigger.

If they cannot go that route then Taker and Lesnar would probably make the most sense.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:52 pm 

Don't want to forget Sting's other shining moments.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:53 pm 

KD we get it, you don't like Sting.

It's cool.

You are wrong. But it is cool.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:59 pm 

KD wrote:
RFCD we get it, you do like Sting.

It's cool.

You are wrong. But it is cool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:16 pm 

Yep I do like him. But I think I am being pretty objective about who he was and what he could do. He was not the best talker in the world. But he could go in the ring and he was the top baby face in the NWA/WCW for several years. When Ric Flair left he basically carried the company. That is undisputed. He is the greatest wrestler of all time? No, not even in the top 10. But his place in wrestling history is solid and him coming to the WWE even at this point in his career would bring with it numbers and money.

You on the other hand just pretty much come with he was bad/average.

If you cannot see the big picture, that is fine with me.

Sting is a wrestling legend. Case closed.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Yeah,when Sting vs. Flair lasted for an hour,that was classic great stuff.
I miss those days.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:29 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Yep I do like him. But I think I am being pretty objective about who he was and what he could do. He was not the best talker in the world. But he could go in the ring and he was the top baby face in the NWA/WCW for several years. When Ric Flair left he basically carried the company. That is undisputed. He is the greatest wrestler of all time? No, not even in the top 10. But his place in wrestling history is solid and him coming to the WWE even at this point in his career would bring with it numbers and money.

Carried the company? WCW was almost dead when he was "carrying it." Why do you think they sold their soul to Hogan and gave him creative control? His place in wrestling history is solid, the case that he's a wrestling legend isn't. Charter member of the Hall of Very Good. He's WCW's Edge. Not sure why you think a guy that was at it his peak in 1997 and has never wrestled a single match in the WWE would bring in numbers and money, especially any more than anyone else the WWE devoted their resources to pumping up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:39 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Carried the company? WCW was almost dead when he was "carrying it." Why do you think they sold their soul to Hogan and gave him creative control? His place in wrestling history is solid, the case that he's a wrestling legend isn't. Charter member of the Hall of Very Good. He's WCW's Edge. Not sure why you think a guy that was at it his peak in 1997 and has never wrestled a single match in the WWE would bring in numbers and money, especially any more than anyone else the WWE devoted their resources to pumping up.

Yes he carried the company. They had to sell their soul, but they would have had to do it a lot sooner had it not been for Sting.

There has been a ton of interest in Sting coming to the E for years. People have always wanted to see dream matchups of Sting vs. Taker, Sting vs. HHH, etc. Even in the last couple years when any mention of him coming to the E is brought up it creates a huge buzz in the wrestling world. It would not bring in the numbers and money it once would have, but it would still do a big number.

I don't even want to hear your thoughts on Edge. I am sure those are bad too.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:48 am 

Quote:
Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.

Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Errrrrrrrrrrrrr.

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for a special edition of the Rumor Roundup focused solely on WrestleMania 30 and the match card as it currently stands. There are quite a few bouts now on the table for the big event, and it's worth breaking it down.

So let's get to it:

- John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt

Yes, folks, if you can believe it, this match has been discussed for the show. Not only that, but it would be the main event, according to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter (subscription required), namely because Vince McMahon has literally stated that Cena is the man who feeds everyone at WWE, so he's the headliner and that's that. However, this would be assuming Hulk Hogan doesn't work a match on the show. If he does, Cena will be involved in that, and that's still entirely possible. If not, a freshly turned heel Sheamus is an option.

- Batista vs. Randy Orton

If Orton is going to remain WWE champion through WrestleMania season, that almost surely means Batista will win the Royal Rumble match to earn the title shot. It's possible that won't happen and the program won't involve the belt, but as of now that's the idea.

- Triple H vs. CM Punk

As has been alluded to recent in storyline, Punk has taken the spot Big Show was in as chief rival of The Authority. It now appears he's the guy being positioned as the man to bring the evil corporate overlords to their knees. In an interesting twist, Roman Reigns has been discussed as a potential back up for Punk. If that was done, it would obviously mean turning him babyface and giving him a huge push.

- Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar

This one has been on the books for a long time now. In fact, the only thing that seems to be threatening this match happening is Sting signing with WWE. If he does, they almost have to do Sting vs. 'Taker at 'Mania but it's looking more and more likely that that's not something anyone will have to worry about.

- Daniel Bryan vs. Shawn Michaels

This is an interesting one if only because everyone and their mother continues insisting Michaels won't return for another match, instead honoring the retirement stipulation attached to his WrestleMania 26 match with Undertaker. But there's an easy fix to that (having 'Taker give his blessing, both to Bryan as a huge star and Michaels to come back to battle him to prove Michaels can't beat him) and a belief that if Michaels comes back, it would be for a match with Bryan. If this doesn't happen, there's no telling where Bryan ends up on the card.

- Goldberg vs. Ryback

There are still efforts being made to put this match together but it's looking like it won't happen. Goldberg is driving a hard bargain and if everything else on the card shapes up the way it could, he won't be worth the asking price anyway. The problem is WWE booked Ryback so poorly over the past year it gave Goldberg negotiating power. If they want him to come back just to job to a glorified jobber, they're going to have to pay up.

- Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust

These two have been trying to work a match at WrestleMania for some time now, years even, and they may finally get their wish. It would almost be a shame, though, considering how great they've been as a tag team and how expendable Goldust will be once it goes away.

- Rey Mysterio vs. Sin Cara

Yes, there are those who still want to put this match together and it's hard to argue against the idea. These two, despite all their problems, move a ton of merchandise, specifically how it relates to their masks. That's an angle WWE feels it can exploit, and would be able to do so easily in New Orleans. So don't be surprised if this happens for just that reason.

This leaves a lot of mid-card wrestlers unaccounted for. Perhaps a Big E. Langston vs. Dean Ambrose match to unify the Intercontinental and United States titles could be thrown in with a battle royal to determine the next number one contender for the newly unified belt also on the show. That would be a fine way to fit more talent on the card, especially names like Mark Henry, Big Show, and a host of others.

Remember, none of this is official -- obviously -- and these are just rumors for the time being. Everything is subject to change in WWE, and it often does. So don't take this as fact, simply a look at what's on the table at this time.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:49 pm 

I could see most of those matches happening, the Cena vs Bray Wyatt would be different.

Unless I missed it, don't see the Shield on there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:01 am 

Last week The Wrestling Observer reported that a WrestleMania 30 main event of John Cena vs Bray Wyatt had been discussed by the WWE creative team, however, PWInsider.com is now reporting that is not the case.

At one point awhile back, John Cena vs Bray Wyatt was talked about for WrestleMania, with the idea being that Wyatt would win the Royal Rumble match then challenge Cena for the World Title at 'Mania.

This was all discussed, however, prior to WWE deciding to unify the World and WWE Titles, and once that happened things of course changed.

The current backstage feeling in WWE is that Batista will win the Royal Rumble match and go on to challenge Randy Orton for the WWE World Title at WrestleMania. This doesn't mean that we won't see Cena vs Wyatt at some point down the line, but the match is not likely for WrestleMania.