It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:36 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
If the guy is a veteran pilot who has been the best in his field for years and he has advice for you as a young pilot, you should listen.

Regardless, it will be entertaining. I hope they DONT take his words to heart. That would be better.

It almost sounds as if you prefer the clones to Mac. Which is cool, some guys are all sports.

I haven't probably done a good job of clarifying what I mean. I don't mean to speak for the clones , and I'm not necessarily a fan of them and not of Mac. I'm sort of a paradox in that I accept all the board's criticisms of Bernstein, and have contributed to some myself, but I will listen to his show first when there's enough going on that interests me. I will tune in to Mac as well.

My issue with the infatuation with Mac is that it turns logic upside down. Why should a host who has occasionally admitted he's not into this or that sport be adored for admitting so when his job is nevertheless to engage those very sports irrespective of his personal feelings? That's why I brought up the pilot example. I don't care if you don't like flying, it's your damn job, so do it. I think he's guilty of leveraging his likeability to obscure the fact that he's a slacker when it comes to everything outside of the Blackhawks and a few other sports or hobbies. In what other profession can you openly sneer at some of the duties of your job and win support and admiration for doing so?

I'm sure there's a lot to admire about Mac, just not much between 9-1 these days.

Alonzo Mourning was a bad NBA player at the end.

If he had advice for a young post player, they should still listen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
make some money doing something worthwhile, running a hot dog stand, A/C repairman, whatever. work your ass off like a Kaplan or buy time on a low-rent station. market yourself, network. Most importantly, be interesting so somebody would actually want to listen to you. Be a Spada, but actually interesting.

how many producers, lackeys, hangers-on ever amounted to anything? Mac got lucky, right time right place. Meat is hardly your shining example.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
veganfan21 wrote:
In what other profession can you openly sneer at some of the duties of your job and win support and admiration for doing so?
[/quote]
B&B both do the same. Terry didn't watch the World Series b/c of the Cardinals. Mac's issue is he is honest about not knowing/caring about every sport.

For half a year they didn't even talk sports. It was Penn State TMZ.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Yes and they rightfully get called out for it, not just here but at other stations as well. It sucked and was instant PTFB. Mac shouldn't get credit for being honest about not liking sports. He should get job counseling so he can perform better despite not liking his job, which is a common thing among everyone who works.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:04 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Yes and they rightfully get called out for it, not just here but at other stations as well. It sucked and was instant PTFB. Mac shouldn't get credit for being honest about not liking sports. He should get job counseling so he can perform better despite not liking his job, which is a common thing among everyone who works.

Do you think Mac is a good source about how to make it in sports radio in Chicago?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I'd rather listen to David Spada and someone about to die than Matt Rodewald. Real talk.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I'm not sure if I know enough to answer the question. Like I said before there's a lot to like and admire here. But do you think he's living off his reputation? Dude is either MIA or not interested in discussing substantively major issues in sports he doesn't like. I just don't think that's cool, or professional for that matter.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:48 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
I'm not sure if I know enough to answer the question. Like I said before there's a lot to like and admire here. But do you think he's living off his reputation? Dude is either MIA or not interested in discussing substantively major issues in sports he doesn't like. I just don't think that's cool, or professional for that matter.

Absolutely he's living off his reputation.

IMO, anything he does now cant really change his rise to local stardom in the market

He's not professional.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
Why would a young guy in the radio business want to emulate the biggest jagoff at the station?

I thought that name calling was wrong?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way