It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Two for one to kick it off for the three people who will ever read this!

What happens when you take a dude who graduated from Berklee College of Music and mastered all the hardest techniques in guitar playing while attending? You get a good guitarist. When you add it to someone who just gets music you get David Davidson.

This guy is the real deal. I've never heard guitar playing like this before. metalsucks.com put him as their best guitarist of our generation, he gets to write his own column in Guitar World and pretty much every guitar publication considers him the next big thing. This is because he is.

When I listen to this guy play I just feel like he's saying to those who came before him "Thanks for the influence, now check this out...oh, and I'm gonna do guttural vocals at the same time."

Most refreshing and unique metal band to come out in over a decade and the perfect band for my first post.

Band: Ravocation
Genre: Technical Death

Song: Fracked
Album: Ravocation (2013)

The main riff is fuckin sweet and the solo near the end is amazing as usual when it comes to Davidson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2iZYuvKtfs

Song: Bound By Desire
Album: Teratogenesis (EP, 2012)

It's not one of their best songs, to be honest, I don't even really care for the song as whole but the solo starting at 2:58 that goes all the way to the end of the song is just a total mind fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hv_tYHmt7Y

Last edited by Hockey Gay on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I like the idea but I haven't really checked out any new metal since 1995?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 am 

I got you

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Hockey Gay wrote:
What happens when you take a dude who graduated from Berklee College of Music and mastered all the hardest techniques in guitar playing while attending?

You have a guy I have no interest in hearing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I can't get past the machine gun drum tempo. Louder and crazier doesn't bother me but there is a line where its just too damn fast and that is past it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:10 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I can't get past the machine gun drum tempo.

Never been a big fan either and it's just another reason on why I hate black metal. That's my key issue with Bound By Desire as a whole. That song is all about the solo, the first three minutes, although impressive guitar playing, does nothing for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
I have nothing against studied musicianship in its proper context. You certainly wouldn't want an amateur playing first chair in the CSO. But rock music is not that context. There is no premium on education. Or even practice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I have nothing against studied musicianship in its proper context. You certainly wouldn't want an amateur playing first chair in the CSO. But rock music is not that context. There is no premium on education. Or even practice.

amateurs can be fun though. take, for example, atom and his package who made a song that's totally apropos for this thread by this author and whatnot (and hey a flagrant reference to the glory days of screeching weasel is always OK by me, even tho IIRC JORR didn't cross pollenate much with the legendarily dickish ben weasel back in the day, now did he?

the legend was that when atom played one of his shows in your town it wasnt promoted much and there'd be a line around the block of people trying to get in. diabeetus got the best of him, but stuff like the metric song and punk rock academy are pretty much perfect songs (for what they are, anyways)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
pittmike wrote:

How would we know?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Hockey Gay wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I can't get past the machine gun drum tempo.

Never been a big fan either and it's just another reason on why I hate black metal.

oh hey whaddya know my guy atom and his package even got around to making a song called "me and my black metal friends" --- YOU ARE NOT ALONE, GAY, YANA!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:59 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There is and there isn't.

Obviously if you attend a big time school like Berklee you're going to be technically sound.

The issue is that people put too much stock into it when it comes to rock and metal music. Without feeling and emotion, all the music education in the world means nothing.

The guys from Dream Theater went to Berklee and their music does nothing for me. It's passionless to me.

With David Davidson we have somewhat of a monster because he's technically perfect and plays with a ton of feeling and emotion. He gets it and we've never really seen someone who's so gifted in both areas in metal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:22 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
pittmike wrote:

How would we know?

??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hockey Gay wrote:
Technical Death

Pretty sure that's how they scored the Drago/Creed fight...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
That link you posted (bound by desire) is essentially Laid to Rest by lamb of god....the solo totally reminds me of the Audience is Listening by Steve Vai and with some Satriani-esque tone stealings. He is no doubt amazing, but it doesn't do anything for me.
Mark Morton, now there's a guy to pay attention to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
pittmike wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
pittmike wrote:

How would we know?

??

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Here is a guitar-internet-buddy...of mine. He plays every instrument and ridiculously talented, especially on guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHenryMa ... and/videos

check out Fugue in Dropped C.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Colonel Angus wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
pittmike wrote:

How would we know?

??

:lol:

I think pittmike was trying to post in an Irish accent. You know, make every statement sound like a question.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:00 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
That link you posted (bound by desire) is essentially Laid to Rest by lamb of god....the solo totally reminds me of the Audience is Listening by Steve Vai and with some Satriani-esque tone stealings. He is no doubt amazing, but it doesn't do anything for me.
Mark Morton, now there's a guy to pay attention to.

All subjective.

I think Davidson is in a different league at guitar than Morton is. I also don't hear "Laid To Rest" at all in Bound or "Audience Is Listening" at all in the Bound solo. "Laid To Rest" is the better song from start to finish anyways, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

LTR is in the first 6 seconds...

Tosin Abisi of Animals as Leaders is the most interesting "new" guitar player in my book.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Tosin Abisi of Animals as Leaders is the most interesting "new" guitar player in my book.

He's the fuckin goods. Him and Davidson are #1 and #2 as far as the best in the business right now. Davidson, to me, is the face of metal guitar right now though so he's my #1.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've never heard of him prior to you posting this...and I read MetalSucks a few times a week.

There are a TON of amazing internet guitar guys posting youtube videos. I'm often more interested in watching playthroughs than listening to a song nowadays.

and then there's this fucking guy....
Sam Westphalen. He's on another level too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzREx4vCZpU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:24 pm 

I was certain Gay's thread would feature Judas Priest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:45 pm 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:46 pm 

Unleashed In The East?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:15 am 

So today is a band from Denmark called Essence. Their first album came out in 2011 and it was fucking awesome and then their bassist (Tobias Nefer) quit, who was the star of the band, and then everyone stopped giving a shit about them. They don't even have a wikipedia page for crying out loud. It doesn't take away the fact that their first album was awesome though and the best song on that album, to me, was "Blood Culture". It's also one of the best metal music videos too, in my opinion.

The bass solo to start off the song is great as it is but once the song gets going it's just a head bangers delight. \m/

Band: Essence
Genre: Thrash Metal
Song: Blood Culture
Album: Lost In Violence (2011)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JneG_DeHBfs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 am 

I don't think any band fascinates me more than Finland's biggest metal export, Nightwish.

They were the first metal band with a female lead singer to get as big as they did and paved the way for a lot of bands. While paving the way they've remained on top of their genre. They're on their third vocalist now while the rest of the band remains the same. Tarja Turunen was first and was on every beauty magazine in Finland (She's not that good looking though so I don't know). She sang an opera style which made Nightwish unique. She got fired for being a Caller Bob and it was treated like a national tragedy in Finland where the first thing they did was ask the Prime Minister what his thoughts on the break up were. So they bring in a new vocalist who has more of a pop style and everyone said they were finished but what do they do? They get more popular. She's fired then for being a Caller Bob as well and they bring in a vocalist who can sing pop, metal and opera and they get even more popular. This upsets rabid Nightwish haters who claim they're bad for metal and wish they'd go away (How dare you write catchy Pop hooks that anyone can enjoy!)

Seeing them live is quite an experience. Their fans are intense and passionate, not to mention diverse. Out of all the metal bands you're most likely to see eye candy at live, it's probably a Nightwish concert. It's a fan base that consists of even the most rabid metal fans, to people who ONLY listen to Nightwish and nothing else, to preps, goths, teeny boppers and even children (There might of even been a black person there too). All ages and all groups are welcomed. It's quite a site to see a dude in a Slayer shirt with long hair headbanging next to a hot blonde girl in designer clothes while behind them some other chick is dancing like she's in a night club next to some gothic teeny bopper. Meanwhile, there's some dorky dude in his 40's in khaki shorts who's body surfing. Male to female it's a 50/50 split and every single person at the gig knows all of the lyrics and they sing along to the songs throughout the entire show. It's quite a thing. No moshing at Nightwish concerts, which makes it children and female safe metal.

Tuomas Holopainen (keyboard) is the heart and soul of Nightwish and a brilliant song writer and mentioning his name to a female Nightwish fan will make her soak through her pants immediately. They are Symphonic Metal, which basically means two things. The keyboards drive the songs and there's a female vocalist.

Been listening to this song alot lately, it's the last song off of their last album which is a concept album (they even made a movie for it, it sucked but it wasn't as bad as The Wall). It's a lot more metal than pop and it's pretty epic finale to a masterpiece of an album. Youtube doesn't do this band any justice as there's so many things happening in the song that you just can't really hear on youtube. Oh well. This is the second vocalist, they've yet to record an album with the new one.

Band: Nightwish
Genre: Symphonic Metal
Song: Song Of Myself
Album: Imaginaerum (2011)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHPuMXgCdUY

Every Finnish girl's dream.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

That Essence song was pretty damn cool.

This is my favorite most recent metal video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeBFEanVsp4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:35 am 

That video was fucking nuts. Looked like he was giving a blow job to dude's intestines :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:38 am 

After nearly 5 years, one of extreme metal's most prominent acts in Behemoth have finally released their new album, "The Satanist".

Adam "Nergal" Darski (vocals, guitars) has been through a lot in those years. He had to go to court for ripping up a Bible on stage, he was eventually aquitted because of freedom of expression. The Christians were pissed though and kept bitchin until he was finally booted off as a judge on Poland's version of The Voice.

Then he gets leukemia and is told he's probably not going to live. He goes through many treatments for a while. While in treatment he starts writing riffs for the upcoming album and finally gets discharged from the hospital. Then his engagement to Polish pop star, Doda, gets called off. I always found their relationship funny. Some extreme metal guy with one of Poland's top sex symbols just makes me chuckle, probably because of this picture...

Dude has been through a lot and it shows on the new album.

"The Satanist" is a powerful album and it's no surprise it was written by a man who had doubts about his own mortality. The riffs are simple, yet good. Nergal's vocals are outstanding as he unleashes brutal, pissed off grunts throughout the entire album. The album is violent, powerful and dark yet at the same time it's beautiful. The album took me to a very dark place, yet I enjoyed being there.

The stand out song is the last song of the album, "O Father, O Satan, O Sun". I'm a sucker for epic finales and this is one of them. Starts off with him grunting over clean vocals with a nice, catchy riff and the song ends on as high of a note as you can in the last couple minutes with a simple, yet hauntingly beautiful riff as Nergal recites the last lines of the album. I've listened to the song at least ten times this morning already, so awesome. I'm sure this will be taken down soon due to copyright since the album is brand new.

Band: Behemoth
Genre: Blackened Death Metal
Song: O Father, O Satan, O Sun
Album: The Satanist (2014)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_-5-EpVII

Last edited by Hockey Gay on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
HG- is that you replying as gohawks496 in the comments?