It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ask Mac - The Work Stuff
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 am 

Juiced asked "what happened to the Score being the voice of the fans?" He also suggested that if a new station was created for the fans, it would destroy the Score and ESPN.

I only can speak for what happens between 9 and 1, Juiced. I try to approach the show from a fan's perspective, not so much as a "reporter." Mike North was a huge "fan." Perhaps his departure, to a large degree, meant the common man lost his "voice." Terry and Dan recently told me that because they were on the beat a long time ago, "You can never go back" to being a fan (we were talking about baseball specifically). I don't agree with that, but that's their take on it. As for a new station, I'd love for that to happen. It creates jobs, competition and gives everybody a negotiating chip.

spmack wonders why I don't call out K.C. Johnson for his "Bulls spokesman bullshit."

I have. Last week, in an appearance on our show, he was saying criticism of Boozer is "unfair." I asked him "If he doesn't play defense, doesn't dive on the floor for loose balls, etc., how is the criticism he receives unfair?" I also recall going pretty hard on K.C. and all the guys on the Bulls beat when they sided with management last spring on there not being a rift between Thibs and the front office. More than any beat in town, guys who cover the Bulls protect the subjects they cover. The Blackhawks media throng is right there also.

Tad Queasy asked why Kerry Sayers' updates are so consistently bad.

This is a question that should be posed in an "Ask Mitch" thread. Open one and I'll encourage him to address your questions and comments. I don't coach the update peeps, nor do I have any influence on a lot of other things that make my skin crawl when I hear them. This includes stuff from fellow hosts, production pieces, commercials, etc.

Keyser Soze asks "Did Larry's destruction of your show and general awfulness (salute!) make you come back to the job sooner?"

I returned when I felt I was ready. Truth of it is I didn't listen to a minute when I was in treatment and it wasn't on my mind. When I would get e-mails or texts from friends or acquaintances who commented on the show, I either didn't reply or asked them to stop commenting because I didn't want to hear it.

Peoria Matt queries "Do you enjoy yourself more when you host with Finji? I'm an M & S fan, but you can tell the difference when Finji is in the other chair."

It's accurate to say I'm more relaxed with Finji, but do I enjoy myself more???? I don't know if I'd go that far. More than ANY co-host with whom I've shared the cockpit, Ben doesn't sweat the small stuff. He can take a punch without flinching. He can make a mistake without beating himself up over it. He knows it's only radio and nobody is going to die on the operating table if we have a bad segment or six. Note that I'm saying this about Finji when comparing him to ALL of my radio wives over the years, not just Spiegs.

Curious Hair wonders why I leapfrogged Mitch in a recent post, in which I wrote "the Score isn't Bernsie's station; it's Rod Zimmerman's."

Rod gives Mitch a lot of freedom, but Zim also is very mindful of the budget. Zim stays out of programming business more than any GM under whom I've served and I appreciate that about him. The bottom line, however, swings everything at the Score. My educated guess is that Mitch has to run almost all expenditures by Big Z.

denisdman: "Corey Crawford. Bad Paper?"

Probably should have answered this in the "Fun Stuff" thread because it's not station business. Crawford isn't perfect, but no goaltender is. Goalies, even the best ever, give up bad goals. Crow was terrific when they needed him to be last spring and was a huge part of the Hawks winning the Cup. He's paid handsomely no doubt, but I believe (Bobby Hull voice) he's worth it. Bryan Bickell's contract, on the other hand, is more of a head scratcher. I said it at the time. $16 million over four years is a lot of dough for a guy who showed up big in the playoffs, but never has been the player he was projected to be.

jimmypasta and others want my opinion of Park Ridge Bob.

Again, I'll defer to an "Ask Mitch" thread. And as I've mentioned, I've never heard it. Based on your descriptions here, I'm most curious.

Last up before this Sunday concludes.... the Tough Stuff. Character assassination, full disclosure about those in the business and my future.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Mac I appreciate that you come here and do things like this. I am certain others at the score (on air or management) read the hell out of this board. It might be a small segment but you would be an idiot not to get all this free demo/market info/feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
This is great stuff. Such a little thing, really, to come to a forum like this and answer a few questions from your listeners. But who else does it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
do you want the 2-6 slot? The 9-1 seems to not be the worst. Yeah, I am sure it is more money and as the audience is bigger, but ....?

What would be the best lineup for the Score? or a so called NEW station....Yes, everyone available. North, Jurk, Dave Baum,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Mac,

One of the challenges I've always seen with the Chicago sports radio stations is that stories are often so over covered that I frequently find myself heading back to music over the radio. Case in point, the Bears talk this season became nauseating after about two minutes and then continued on every show for about 12 weeks. How do you introduce new stories into the fold and try to keep things fresh? While I realize you are constricted in the format of the show, how do you combat it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Who are you sitting with at the 30th anniversary show? :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Mac wrote:

This is a question that should be posed in an "Ask Mitch" thread. Open one and I'll encourage him to address your questions and comments. I don't coach the update peeps, nor do I have any influence on a lot of other things that make my skin crawl when I hear them. This includes stuff from fellow hosts, production pieces, commercials, etc.

Thanks for at least addressing it, Mac.

About the only saving grace of her updates is that she doesn't editorialize or try to be funny. When Abbatacola, McKnight, etc. try to do that it's equally as bad. Just read the update and get the hell off the air.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:27 pm 

thanks mac as soon as weed is legal ill bring some flame into the studio for you. and well force speigs to choke on it. itll be the best show in score history even better then a mike north and ann maxfield political debate.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:32 pm 

Quote:
Mike North was a huge "fan." Perhaps his departure, to a large degree, meant the common man lost his "voice."

I would add the departure of Murph and Fred, along with the heavy fuel crew where also key loses that changed the Score.

Curious as to why you would hire Spiegs, if you wanted more of a fan friendly show. Harry T, would have been a much better choice (in my opinion) for that type of radio.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and good luck in your recovery.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Mac wrote:

Thanks for at least addressing it, Mac.

About the only saving grace of her updates is that she doesn't editorialize or try to be funny. When Abbatacola, McKnight, etc. try to do that it's equally as bad. Just read the update and get the hell off the air.

Maybe they want to do sports on ABC7?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:40 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Mac,

One of the challenges I've always seen with the Chicago sports radio stations is that stories are often so over covered that I frequently find myself heading back to music over the radio. Case in point, the Bears talk this season became nauseating after about two minutes and then continued on every show for about 12 weeks. How do you introduce new stories into the fold and try to keep things fresh? While I realize you are constricted in the format of the show, how do you combat it?

I'll piggyback onto this one. Do you regret the remarks/position you once took about keeping it to the "ol sportsaroo"?

I've always enjoyed your excursions into "guy(not 12-14 yr. old suburbanite) talk"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Mac, you never addressed my barsports preference level inquiry.

I'm sure the "Ask Mac - The Pointless Stuff" thread is in the works.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
newper wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Mac, you never addressed my barsports preference level inquiry.

I'm sure the "Ask Mac - The Pointless Stuff" thread is in the works.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:34 pm 

Sorry, Q. Bo. I'm not much of a game player in bars. Conversations over competition. Used to be okay at table top hockey and I still enjoy ping pong, but I'd rather chew aluminum foil than shoot pool, play darts or foosball.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:
Sorry, Q. Bo. I'm not much of a game player in bars. Conversations over competition. Used to be okay at table top hockey and I still enjoy ping pong, but I'd rather chew aluminum foil than shoot pool, play darts or foosball.

Try it, you might get addicted to aluminum foil too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
No beanbags?

Judging by his silence, he's apparently not interested in playing Cornhole with you.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mac wrote:

Nice cop-out, Mac. I know that low T treatment might have clouded your judgement, and you might be too busy drooling over her "furry boots", but why not call it like it is. She sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I THought that was a pretty honest reply from mac, read between the lions Zion...he agrees she is fucking awful at her job.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
312player wrote:
I THought that was a pretty honest reply from mac, read between the lions Zion...he agrees she is fucking awful at her job.

I started an ask mitch thread.
Mac will you do your part in encouraging him to reply?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
312player wrote:

He essentially did the same thing when asked about what he thought about Leery fucking up his show. A little reading between the lines and you can get his response . I'm guessing he just can't come out and say both Leery and Keery blow chunks without repercussions from management .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
So, Mac ... 87.7 The Game now an option for you in June and beyond when your contract is up?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
RadioNerd wrote:
So, Mac ... 87.7 The Game now an option for you in June and beyond when your contract is up?

whether he says it or not, i think that answer is a totally obvious "yes"

when there's only 2 games in town in terms of sports talkers, the arrival of a third can only stand to help mac in any and all contract negotiations. duh.