It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
pittmike wrote:
I forget the name of the other north side place I used to see metal shows at. Wasn't like the Aragaon. Was a simple place that had the main level usually general admission no chairs etc. Then ringing around the top was a balcony style few rows or whatever where you could sit I think? Maybe started with an M but wasn't metro.

The Vic?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
T-Bone wrote:
I saw the Youthanasia tour when they came to Chicago in 1995.

I'm jelly. Youthanasia is probably my favorite metal album, I'd give anything to have seen that tour.

They're doing a 20th year anniversary tour for the album, I think I'm gonna go. Mustaine's vocals were at his best on that album though so I wouldn't be surprised if he dies on stage while trying to sing "Train Of Consequences" now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:56 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
So...

these guys are pretty fucking awesome.
After The Burial - A Wolf Amongst Ravens

I really enjoyed that, thanks. A lot of crazy shit happening in that song but it all works great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
http://youtu.be/6dW6aNAZGTM

growl growl growllllllll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:05 pm 

Posting Cradle of Filth stuff in my metal thread is like when KS posted Nicki Minaj pics in the NSFW thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Telegram Sam wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I forget the name of the other north side place I used to see metal shows at. Wasn't like the Aragaon. Was a simple place that had the main level usually general admission no chairs etc. Then ringing around the top was a balcony style few rows or whatever where you could sit I think? Maybe started with an M but wasn't metro.

The Vic?

Wasn't the Vic more of a theater type seating?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Just can't get past the Cookie Monster vocals in most of these songs. The only thing remotely close that I like in this style is that song "Bodies" by Drowning Pool and even that only has minimal usage, but the song is so damn strong. I'm officially old. Great thread, though.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:07 am 

Still a lot of people who believe women don't belong in metal bands. I couldn't disagree more, especially when you look like this...

And write songs and sing like this...

Band: Epica
Genre: Symphonic Metal
Song: Storm The Sorrow
Album: Requiem for the Indifferent (2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNoTvg0t52c

I'd make love to her vocal chords with my penis.

(Bonus Points for a cool a video too)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:54 pm 

Pretty cool song. For those who like good metal without the guttural vocals, you should enjoy this.

Band: Evile
Genre: Thrash Metal
Song: In Dreams Of Terror
Album: Five Serpent's Teeth (2011)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSllmP3FLCE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Hockey Gay wrote:
Still a lot of people who believe women don't belong in metal bands. I couldn't disagree more, especially when you look like this...

And write songs and sing like this...

Band: Epica
Song: Storm The Sorrow
Album: Requiem for the Indifferent (2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNoTvg0t52c

I'd make love to her vocal chords with my penis.

(Bonus Points for a cool a video too)

:shock:

Yow! She's fucking hot! Her voice, while good, seems a bit thin for this genre.

I was quite enjoying it until about 3:30, when then ugly Monstro de Cooke reared its ugly head :roll:

Geezer that I am, I would embrace a lot of this music if it wasn't for the fucking CM vocals ruining it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:40 am 

Alright. I'll remove the guttural vocals and add even bigger pop hooks.

Band: Within Temptation
Song: Paradise (What About Us?) Ft. Tarja
Album: Hydra (2014)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6MpsDPKts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:10 am 

I love this song and especially the chorus. The live videos are really cool where the crowd sings the chorus for a few minutes after the actual song is over. It's so catchy. I like the re-recorded version better as the guitars sound better and the vocals are just as good because Hansi Kursch just gets better with age.

Band: Blind Guardian
Genre: Power Metal/Speed Metal
Song: Valhalla
Album: Follow The Blind (1989) / Memories Of A Time To Come (2011) (Re-recorded)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5UXfU7PSdM

Valhalla
Deliverance
Why have you ever forgotten me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Band: Seventh Wonder
Genre: Progressive Metal
Song: The Great Escape
Album: The Great Escape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq2qa1YTquI

Seventh Wonder has technical ability rivaling Dream Theater but songwriting and vocals that far surpass them. Mercy Falls is their pinnacle album, and they are coming out with a new one in the spring/summer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:36 am 

Before they were the Trans Siberian Orchestra, they were Savatage. One of the most criminally underrated bands there ever was. Jon Oliva is one of the most gifted vocalists I've ever heard. Criss Oliva was a well respected guitarist and even turned down the offer to be in Megadeth right before they recorded Rust In Peace. He was killed in a car accident by a drunk driver in 1993. Their last album was in 2001 before they decided to give up on Savatage for good and focus solely on TSO since they were a much bigger hit.

Not a fan of TSO, to me it's a rock/metal show you go to with your grandma to listen to Christmas songs. I wish they stuck with Savatage.

Band: Savatage
Genre: Progressive Metal, Power Metal
Song: Hounds
Album: Gutter Ballet (1989)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3RfvY5hFM

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:55 pm 

Helstar has a new album and it's pretty good. James Rivera is one of the best vocalists in the business and still sounds like he's in his 20's. "Souls Cry" is my favorite track on the album, just has a great flow to it and is a headbanger's delight.

Band: Helstar
Genre: Thrash Metal
Song: Souls Cry
Album: The Wicked Nest (2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANDWEywo9dQ

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Hockey Gay wrote:
Before they were the Trans Siberian Orchestra, they were Savatage. One of the most criminally underrated bands there ever was. Jon Oliva is one of the most gifted vocalists I've ever heard. Criss Oliva was a well respected guitarist and even turned down the offer to be in Megadeth right before they recorded Rust In Peace. He was killed in a car accident by a drunk driver in 1993. Their last album was in 2001 before they decided to give up on Savatage for good and focus solely on TSO since they were a much bigger hit.

Not a fan of TSO, to me it's a rock/metal show you go to with your grandma to listen to Christmas songs. I wish they stuck with Savatage.

Band: Savatage
Genre: Progressive Metal, Power Metal
Song: Hounds
Album: Gutter Ballet (1989)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3RfvY5hFM

I didn't realize TSO grew out of Savatage. I remember hearing "Sleep" (from the Edge of Thorns album) on The Blaze 103.5 back in the 90s. I'll have to check out some more of their stuff on Spotify.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:14 am 

I usually take an hour out of every day in my life to think about how much metalcore sucks. I just stare at the wall and hate metalcore during this process. You all should do that too, it's good for you.

Anyways, check out this song. No vocals. The whole thing is awesome but the riffs at 0:44 and 1:37 are my favorites. I wish I knew more about these guys. My friend tells me that the guitarist and drummer, who are brothers, released their first album back in 06 when the one brother was only 15. They're obviously gifted.

Band: Dissonance In Design
Genre: Technical Death/Progressive Melodic Death Metal
Song: The American Reality (Instrumental)
Album: Neurotransmitting An Epiphany (EP) (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_P3i69D9lc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:35 am 

Pretty much everyone who's heard Mastodon likes them. Probably because they're good at making and performing music.

Always thought it was cool how they've had the same band members starting from when they were a garage band all the way til now as one of the more popular and successful American metal acts that don't suck ass. Don't see that too often.

Band: Mastodon
Genres: Sludge Metal, Progressive Metal
Song: Dry Bone Valley
Album: The Hunter (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4vMvJcP4TA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:03 am 

Melodic Death Metal's biggest act released a new album today, bought it this morning.

Arch Enemy is loved by alot, hated by alot. Everyone who loves metal seems to have a strong opinion on them. Michael Amott helped pioneer Melodic Death Metal in the band Carcass before eventually starting his own band, Arch Enemy, with his brother, Chris. They had a couple of really good underground albums before bringing in a hot female singer who could unleash devastating guttural vocals, Angela Gossow.

Over 10 years later, Gossow decides to call it quits and become the band's manager and Chris decides to go start his own band as he just grew tired of the metal lifestyle. So in comes Alissa White-Gluz, former singer of some band called The Agonist.

Her vocals are pretty much just as good as Angela's, she can really bring it for sure. She's way better looking than Angela though and it's not even close. Hnnnnngggg.

Hey babeh. I noticed you like Metal, I like Metal too

You must not be into dudes or somethin

So yea, the new album is out. Arch Enemy fans will love it, Arch Enemy haters will say it's just more of the same cookie cutter melodic death they've been spitting out for years and that they're just in it for the money. Truth is it's a solid album with a few good songs, no real bad songs and a ton of average songs. Not their best work but it's enjoyable. Guitar work is top notch yet again though as is expected in any Arch Enemy album.

Here's a music video they just released of Alissa being hot and I think they're playing a song or somethin. Oh yea, the song has a catchy riff that almost reminds me of 80's Scorpions. They're already a household name in any metalhead's house but if they did ever clean vocals (please don't ever do clean vocals) they'd be way bigger.

Band: Arch Enemy
Genre: Melodic Death Metal
Song: You Will Know My Name
Album: War Eternal (2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-J7sBT_no