It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Curious Hair wrote:
I can't vouch for their playlist now, but in my prime days of Loyal Loopin' (2001-2003), I can't think of a Zeppelin cut they didn't play.

Achilles Last Stand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
No, they played "Achilles Last Stand." I distinctly remember the 5/4 section blowing my teenage mind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:31 pm 

hmm. my Loop days were before yours.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
"Fool in the Rain" is great, fuck whatcha think.

Are "Achilles Last Stand," "Since I've Been Loving You," "No Quarter," and "When The Levee Breaks" still on the board?

"Carouselambra" was my ham in high school.

EDIT: jam, but I'll leave it

I never said Fool In The Rain wasn't great. Just on the radio a lot. That's why these posers draft it. 'Cause they wouldn't know a song from In Through The Out Door if it came up and kicked them in the vag.

You sir, clearly know the album. I applaud you. Carouselambra is still my jam. I'm Gonna Crawl is pretty goddamn good too.

Last edited by ShipOfZion on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:33 pm 

This is one of the greatest Onion articles ever, because it was my life, just a little farther north of Gurnee:

Quote:
Oct 31, 2001

GURNEE, IL—Mark Campa, 16, who has listened to and talked about Led Zeppelin almost exclusively since discovering the '70s rock group over the summer, is "really starting to piss off" his friends, sources reported Monday.

"I've got nothing against Zep—they're awesome," said James Savich, 16, a longtime friend of Campa's. "But Mark acts like he's the first person ever to really get into them when he's, like, the 59 billionth."

Campa was first exposed to the band in June when older brother Bryan returned from college and started playing Led Zeppelin II while lifting weights in the garage. After one listen, Campa was reportedly hooked, buying his own copy and playing it incessantly for weeks.

Campa's Led Zeppelin fixation soon manifested itself in myriad ways, with the teen playing only Led Zeppelin in his car, drawing the Led Zeppelin IV runes on his arm, and spending $73 at the Kane County Fair ring toss in an effort to win a Swan Song mirror.

According to friends, Campa's newfound love of the band has caused him to behave in a "dicklick" fashion.

"Last Saturday night, a bunch of us were driving around cranking the new Slipknot when Mark popped the tape out and started messing with the radio," said Rick Eglund, 17. "I was like, 'Dude, what's your problem?' He said it was time for WLUP's 'Get The Led Out' and that he never missed it. I told him he was gonna miss it that night. Then, he tried to stop me from putting the tape back into my own stereo. I had to pull over and force him to switch seats with Dan [Alberman]."

"The stupid thing is, at the time, we were driving Mark home," Eglund continued. "He has all their CDs, so he could've listened to Zep all night if he'd just waited five minutes. I guess he had to prove what a big fan he is."

In addition to naming his '91 Prelude the "Honda Of The Holy" and renaming his cat of four years "Bonzo" as an homage to late Led Zeppelin drummer John "Bonzo" Bonham, Campa has irritated friends with his constant barrage of Led Zeppelin trivia.

"In the past week alone, I've learned that Keith Moon came up with the band's name, Jimmy Page is in the movie Blowup, and 'All Of My Love' is about Robert Plant's son Karac, who died from a viral infection," Savich said. "And if I hear Mark tell us about the 'mudshark incident' one more time, I'm gonna kill him. Everybody knows Hammer Of The Gods is bullshit, anyway."

Campa has also developed a habit of pointing out Led Zeppelin connections to seemingly non-Zeppelin-related items.

"I downloaded the Lord Of The Rings trailer and, next thing you know, Mark goes into this whole thing about how 'The Battle Of Evermore' references the book Lord Of The Rings," Alberman said. "I had to re-start the trailer after he was done because no one got to see it. It's getting to the point where you're almost afraid to go to a movie with Mark because John Paul Jones' second cousin might be an extra in it."

Added Eglund: "It could be worse, I guess. He could've gotten into the Grateful Dead. Or Floyd. Just imagine if he walked around all day quoting Dark Side Of The Moon. Christ."

The part in boldface was me in the summer of 2001, except sub out car for pool party, and Slipknot for that Christian rock station "The Fish." I still have my copy of Hammer of the Gods, too! Complete with high school classmate vandalism!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
This is one of the greatest Onion articles ever, because it was my life, just a little farther north of Gurnee:

Quote:
Oct 31, 2001

GURNEE, IL—Mark Campa, 16, who has listened to and talked about Led Zeppelin almost exclusively since discovering the '70s rock group over the summer, is "really starting to piss off" his friends, sources reported Monday.

"I've got nothing against Zep—they're awesome," said James Savich, 16, a longtime friend of Campa's. "But Mark acts like he's the first person ever to really get into them when he's, like, the 59 billionth."

Campa was first exposed to the band in June when older brother Bryan returned from college and started playing Led Zeppelin II while lifting weights in the garage. After one listen, Campa was reportedly hooked, buying his own copy and playing it incessantly for weeks.

Campa's Led Zeppelin fixation soon manifested itself in myriad ways, with the teen playing only Led Zeppelin in his car, drawing the Led Zeppelin IV runes on his arm, and spending $73 at the Kane County Fair ring toss in an effort to win a Swan Song mirror.

According to friends, Campa's newfound love of the band has caused him to behave in a "dicklick" fashion.

"Last Saturday night, a bunch of us were driving around cranking the new Slipknot when Mark popped the tape out and started messing with the radio," said Rick Eglund, 17. "I was like, 'Dude, what's your problem?' He said it was time for WLUP's 'Get The Led Out' and that he never missed it. I told him he was gonna miss it that night. Then, he tried to stop me from putting the tape back into my own stereo. I had to pull over and force him to switch seats with Dan [Alberman]."

"The stupid thing is, at the time, we were driving Mark home," Eglund continued. "He has all their CDs, so he could've listened to Zep all night if he'd just waited five minutes. I guess he had to prove what a big fan he is."

In addition to naming his '91 Prelude the "Honda Of The Holy" and renaming his cat of four years "Bonzo" as an homage to late Led Zeppelin drummer John "Bonzo" Bonham, Campa has irritated friends with his constant barrage of Led Zeppelin trivia.

"In the past week alone, I've learned that Keith Moon came up with the band's name, Jimmy Page is in the movie Blowup, and 'All Of My Love' is about Robert Plant's son Karac, who died from a viral infection," Savich said. "And if I hear Mark tell us about the 'mudshark incident' one more time, I'm gonna kill him. Everybody knows Hammer Of The Gods is bullshit, anyway."

Campa has also developed a habit of pointing out Led Zeppelin connections to seemingly non-Zeppelin-related items.

"I downloaded the Lord Of The Rings trailer and, next thing you know, Mark goes into this whole thing about how 'The Battle Of Evermore' references the book Lord Of The Rings," Alberman said. "I had to re-start the trailer after he was done because no one got to see it. It's getting to the point where you're almost afraid to go to a movie with Mark because John Paul Jones' second cousin might be an extra in it."

Added Eglund: "It could be worse, I guess. He could've gotten into the Grateful Dead. Or Floyd. Just imagine if he walked around all day quoting Dark Side Of The Moon. Christ."

The part in boldface was me in the summer of 2001, except sub out car for pool party, and Slipknot for that Christian rock station "The Fish."

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:36 pm 

Just about every teenage boy goes through that Zeppelin stage. Typically lasts 3-4 years until you realize there is other good stuff out there too.

Black Dog is what got me hooked. Somebody gave me a tape in high school and I was like HOLY CRAP!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I love people who don't like things simply because they're popular.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:37 pm 

"Immigrant Song" and "Black Dog" for me. Must've been Twofer Tuesday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:38 pm 

That "other good stuff" being Black Sabbath, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dazed and Confused was the first one that got me.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:41 pm 

Franky T wrote:

I suppose this is directed at me. I never expressed any dislike towards any of the songs they chose. The popular ones, the ones on the radio all day. What I don't like is the laziness of people who don't dig a little deeper than that. And I double don't like it if you're gonna call yourself a fan of whatever it is. Comprende, homes?

Not in Zep's case, but most popular stuff is pure shit in general. Because people are idiotic sheep.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:44 pm 

"Heartbreaker" and "Living Loving Maid" might be the only Zeppelin songs I don't like. Most of the Brown Bomber is pretty weak, but those two just, I don't know, ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:48 pm 

Yeah, I don't listen to II that much. III might be my favorite. Hard to say.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:49 pm 

ShipOfZion wrote:
Franky T wrote:

I suppose this is directed at me. I never expressed any dislike towards any of the songs they chose. The popular ones, the ones on the radio all day. What I don't like is the laziness of people who don't dig a little deeper than that. And I double don't like it if you're gonna call yourself a fan of whatever it is. Comprende, homes?

Not really. I was talking more in general. Popular songs are popular for a reason, and generally that's because they're good (EDIT: when talking about popular songs from the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Zep, etc.). Like what Speigs was saying about "Stairway". Yeah, it's a bit tired and all that, but in a vacuum it's a damn good song. Who's to say they don't like those deep tracks that you seem to love so much? Maybe they do, but the criteria was which five Zeppelin songs on a desert island and they, apparently, like the ones they chose better than the ones you like. It's all personal taste and I've never been a subscriber to the "person who likes the rare B-side track better than the poplar songs is a bigger fan" theory. Who cares? People like what they like.

Last edited by Franky T on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:50 pm 

In a fit of stupidity I sold off my Zep collection many years ago. Wish I hadn't done that. Back in the day they brought like $5/ disk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Pretty interesting talk with the head ice guy putting the rink together at Soldier Field. Sounds like way more
work to put this together than I thought. They've been working on the rink for 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:52 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Popular songs are popular for a reason, and generally that's because they're good.

Except for the Eagles. Man is that stuff shit if you really listen to it. Some of the Walsh stuff was OK. They played an Eagles song on XRT the other day and I almost drove off the road a la Biggie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:53 pm 

I'm torn between III, untitled, and Houses, slight edge to Houses because I so love "No Quarter." PG has too much filler, though I love the songs that aren't.

And yeah, I don't get how XRT has so many shitty Eagles songs in the rotation yet they fancy themselves too hip to play Rush.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:53 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Popular songs are popular for a reason, and generally that's because they're good.

Except for the Eagles. Man is that stuff shit if you really listen to it. Some of the Walsh stuff was OK. They played an Eagles song on XRT the other day and I almost drove off the road a la Biggie.

See my edit...I realized my mistake. As the Dude says, "The Eagles fucking suck, man". :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Impossible to pick 5...

Achllies Last Stand
Kashmir
Hots on for Nowhere
Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp
Bring it on Home
C'mon Everybody/Something Else
The Rain Song (prettiest song ever written, IMO)
Trampled Underfoot
How Many More Times
We're Gonna Grove
Hot Dog
Dancing Days
Misty Mountain Hop

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:14 pm 

Franky T wrote:
ShipOfZion wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Not really. I was talking more in general. Popular songs are popular for a reason, and generally that's because they're good (EDIT: when talking about popular songs from the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Zep, etc.). Like what Speigs was saying about "Stairway". Yeah, it's a bit tired and all that, but in a vacuum it's a damn good song. Who's to say they don't like those deep tracks that you seem to love so much? Maybe they do, but the criteria was which five Zeppelin songs on a desert island and they, apparently, like the ones they chose better than the ones you like. It's all personal taste and I've never been a subscriber to the "person who likes the rare B-side track better than the poplar songs is a bigger fan" theory. Who cares? People like what they like.

I'm not disagreeing with you for the most part. The desert island scenario I missed. That would lead me to deliberately choose deep tracks you haven't heard 50,000 times because you can recreate Heartbreaker yourself at this point. But probably not Tea For One. I'm just saying these dudes don't know too much about Zep outside of WLUP. But who really gives a shit anyway?

I strongly disagree with the bigger fan vs casual fan thing. Fan is from fanatic. If you immerse yourself into something and know more about it and devote more time to it and all the rest of it, you're a bigger fan (fanatic) than someone who just kind of has a surface knowledge or a general interest in the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
ShipOfZion wrote:
Fan is from fanatic. If you immerse yourself into something and know more about it and devote more time to it and all the rest of it, you're a bigger fan (fanatic) than someone who just kind of has a surface knowledge or a general interest in the same thing.
Uh oh. You'd better tell Joe Orr you attend NFL games on a monthly basis or he'll tell you that you are not an NFL fan even if you do everything you just listed.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Curious Hair wrote:
"Heartbreaker" and "Living Loving Maid" might be the only Zeppelin songs I don't like. Most of the Brown Bomber is pretty weak, but those two just, I don't know, ugh.

"Hot Dog" off of In Through the Out Door is about their only song that I really don't like. "That's the Way" is one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:20 pm 

Hot Dog is kind of a goof. They did it with a wink. Still, it'd kick the shit out of most shit-kicker songs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
ShipOfZion wrote:
Hot Dog is kind of a goof. They did it with a wink.

I didn't know that. Kind of like Danzig's Satan's Crucifiction.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 pm 

ShipOfZion wrote:
I strongly disagree with the bigger fan vs casual fan thing. Fan is from fanatic. If you immerse yourself into something and know more about it and devote more time to it and all the rest of it, you're a bigger fan (fanatic) than someone who just kind of has a surface knowledge or a general interest in the same thing.

I agree when it comes to knowledge of a band's catalog. I was talking about what someone likes (deep tracks vs. popular ones).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Impossible to pick 5...

Achllies Last Stand
Kashmir
Hots on for Nowhere
Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp
Bring it on Home
C'mon Everybody/Something Else
The Rain Song (prettiest song ever written, IMO)
Trampled Underfoot
How Many More Times
We're Gonna Grove
Hot Dog
Dancing Days
Misty Mountain Hop

Mini Dickta says that's ten too many.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:36 pm 

Mac really going after Grimace. I'd check for a wet spot under Grimace's chair.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:45 pm 

No love for "Traveling Riverside Blues"? I know it gets lost on Coda, but there are a few gems on there. I always dug "White Summer," too.