It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Was at Sam Ash in Lombard today getting new strings put on my Takamine acoustic. While I waited I was messing around on a new Guild. The price tag was $850. How much should I reasonably expect them to come down on it? They said they'll knock $50 off it plus my trade in which they're only giving me $150. I know I could get more for my guitar than that. I bought it from them maybe 12 years ago , was I think $700 new. How much do they come down on new guitars though? Seems like it should be more than 50 bucks.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
What are you trying to trade? Although SA is not as bad as GC on trades, you usually get fairly screwed.

$50 off is nothing. You should be able to get 15% off the asking with some simple hagglin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
badrogue17 wrote:
Was at Sam Ash in Lombard today getting new strings put on my Takamine acoustic. While I waited I was messing around on a new Guild. The price tag was $850. How much should I reasonably expect them to come down on it? They said they'll knock $50 off it plus my trade in which they're only giving me $150. I know I could get more for my guitar than that. I bought it from them maybe 12 years ago , was I think $700 new. How much do they come down on new guitars though? Seems like it should be more than 50 bucks.

For that I'd never trade a guitar. Never. But mine have sentimental and actual value... my Fender will be quite valuable soon and my Taylor is my honey pie... she'd never leave me.

It's hard to get anyone at a place like that to come down on prices. You get more room to negotiate at small ma and pa shops. Sam Ash will sell that guitar to someone else for the tag price.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:43 am 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:47 am 

I also missed something... you brought your guitar in for a restringing?
No offense intended but go haggle on a different day with hopefully a different rep and don't bring in the guitar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:52 am 

Darkside wrote:
No offense intended but go haggle on a different day with hopefully a different rep and don't bring in the guitar.

None taken . I was picking it up from being restrung yes. I really am a rank amateur with guitars . I like to bang around on them a bit here and there and have never replaced the strings myself. I bring it in maybe once a year for strings and a tune up. Im not really even in the market for a new one just liked that Guild I picked up and thought Id make some inquiries.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:55 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Darkside wrote:

None taken . I was picking it up from being restrung yes. I really am a rank amateur with guitars . I like to bang around on them a bit here and there and have never replaced the strings myself. I bring it in maybe once a year for strings and a tune up. Im not really even in the market for a new one just liked that Guild I picked up and thought Id make some inquiries.

Right. Well fuck let's get you trained in changing strings and tuning and get you started in your new path as a guitar Jedi.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:55 am 

Darkside wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Right. Well fuck let's get you trained in changing strings and tuning and get you started in your new path as a guitar Jedi.

:) well I know how to tune it so thats one less thing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:56 am 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:58 am 

Quote:
:) well I know how to tune it so thats one less thing.

My son you have taken your first step into a larger world.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:26 pm 

How much was the restringing? Did you restring with Elixirs or another quality brand? There are some local places that probably as good if not better than Sam Ash and Guitar Center at working on guitars, just so you know.

Rule No. 1 of selling stuff. If you want the most money don't sell stuff to a store. Don't do trades either. These places want to double or triple their money on a trade. You don't pay good money for something so that one day the middle man can make money off it.

Sell your guitar on eBay or Craig's List. If it plays well and has no neck warping issues you should be able to get at least half what you paid for if not more depending on whether it comes with a hard case or gig bag.

Also I would recommend picking up a used guitar as long as you're not dropping over $500. If you're paying $1,000 for a used Taylor maybe you're in over your head and there's something wrong with the guitar and then you're in trouble. It doesn't hurt to have an experienced friend go check out guitars with you.

Last edited by Mini Ditka on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Darkside wrote:

Why let someone else string your guitar unless you are having the setup changed?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:28 pm 

My Takamine is a G series. Thoughts. reviews?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:29 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Why let someone else string your guitar unless you are having the setup changed?

If they charge more than $10 to change the strings they are ripping you off. I think for a 12 string it just makes more sense since it is twice the work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:34 pm 

pittmike wrote:

If I have the model right it's maybe a $300 guitar or was before the original price dropped. It doesn't have a built in pickup, which can be a bit of a drag. It's probably not a bad little guitar for jamming around the house. With good strings and good action it might play well.

However, there is something to be said about more expensive guitars. I think when you go over $500 or $600 you start to get higher end sound. You go to the guitar store and you pick a thousand guitar and you play an E chord and it sounds like the greatest thing ever because the guitar is a fantastic instrument. I've never owned a super expensive guitar, but I think a nice guitar really makes a difference on a recording or in concert.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:36 pm 

If you guys need music advice check out the forum over at Gearslutz.com because those guys know a ton about gear and music performance and recording.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:06 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Darkside wrote:

If they charge more than $10 to change the strings they are ripping you off. I think for a 12 string it just makes more sense since it is twice the work.

Was $17 total for the strings and labor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:07 pm 

pittmike wrote:

Mine is an EG-330SC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:09 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
pittmike wrote:

If I have the model right it's maybe a $300 guitar or was before the original price dropped. It doesn't have a built in pickup, which can be a bit of a drag. It's probably not a bad little guitar for jamming around the house. With good strings and good action it might play well.

However, there is something to be said about more expensive guitars. I think when you go over $500 or $600 you start to get higher end sound. You go to the guitar store and you pick a thousand guitar and you play an E chord and it sounds like the greatest thing ever because the guitar is a fantastic instrument. I've never owned a super expensive guitar, but I think a nice guitar really makes a difference on a recording or in concert.

Not sure what you mean about pick up but this is a electric acoustic I grabbed for $80 off a guy some years ago. Seems solid stays in tune and so on. I do not play enough to get a Martin or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:45 pm 

Mini D... I don't really see any reason why my guitars would depreciate. In fact, they should increase in value. My Taylor would get better and sound better as it ages... and my Fender is pretty unique... haven't seen many at all like it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:10 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Was $17 total for the strings and labor.

This is where you might want to go next time:

http://www.perrysmusic.net/guitarrepairs.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:11 pm 

Hold on stupid photobucket.

Last edited by pittmike on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Or, until he's too busy fending off groupies, he can change his own damned strings. If something is a hobby, there are aspects of it you should do yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:18 pm 

This is one I made/rehabbed. Was a Kramer XLIII. I like it a lot.

Last edited by pittmike on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
The thumbnails on your photobucket page tell a strange tale, mike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:23 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Mini D... I don't really see any reason why my guitars would depreciate. In fact, they should increase in value. My Taylor would get better and sound better as it ages... and my Fender is pretty unique... haven't seen many at all like it.

It all depends on what kind of guitar and the condition. Mint condition guitars are always going to go for more. Each particular model has a range of what you might be able to get for it. If you look at sold listings on eBay or what Guitar Center is selling used stuff for on their website you get a general idea. I don't think guitars appreciate unless you bought it used for less than what it was worth or if you had it a really long time and it's a classic guitar like vintage Les Paul.

Let's take a Taylor 210E for example. These go for about $900 now. Used at Guitar Center they sell for $600 or $700. That's a depreciation of an average near 25 percent. The Guitar Center guitars are probably excellent or near mint condition.

The higher the price the fewer buyers there are. In the same way that it's hard to sell a $20,000 guitar yourself it's also hard to sell a $2,000 or $3,000 guitar to someone. It could take you awhile to sell your Taylor if it's an expensive one or if you feel like you have to get a certain price that is over what the average person wants to pay.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:23 pm 

pittmike wrote:
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y383/mikepitt69/photo4_zps15aa32f9.jpg

You're like the guitarist from Stryper.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:24 pm 

Yeah I hate phot bucket. I tried to get a Chicks in Jeans or GTFO thread but it didn't take off. The Taylor crap was for a past time lol.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:25 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
pittmike wrote:
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y383/mikepitt69/photo4_zps15aa32f9.jpg

You're like the guitarist from Stryper.

STFU you know what that is lol :lol: