It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Buster wrote:
"We're sort of like musical anthropologists."

"There's still a lot of low-hanging fruit even four years in. There's no end to what we can do."

"It's our joy. We're hearing it come together for the first time. The gigs are great, of course, but those Mondays are our secret little thing."

"There are some things that are more difficult and commercially successful. Writing original songs is more gratifying on some level. But this is so much damn fun because we invented it and perfected it. The fact that we let the music speak and then poof! -- it's gone -- manages to somehow give us artistic integrity in a cover-band framework. We've got something magical here, and we have to protect it. We don't want to suck any of the joy out of it."

"We consider ourselves to be the Civil War re-creationists of music. We're paying tribute to the song and the artist, but we serve the song. At first, we were sort of like a secret club but now it's not so secret anymore."

Please tell me he or they actually said this......especially the 3rd quote.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Buster wrote:

"There's still a lot of low-hanging fruit even four years in. There's no end to what we can do."

"It's our joy. We're hearing it come together for the first time. The gigs are great, of course, but those Mondays are our secret little thing."

"There are some things that are more difficult and commercially successful. Writing original songs is more gratifying on some level. But this is so much damn fun because we invented it and perfected it. The fact that we let the music speak and then poof! -- it's gone -- manages to somehow give us artistic integrity in a cover-band framework. We've got something magical here, and we have to protect it. We don't want to suck any of the joy out of it."

"We consider ourselves to be the Civil War re-creationists of music. We're paying tribute to the song and the artist, but we serve the song. At first, we were sort of like a secret club but now it's not so secret anymore."
Cant see why anyone would have a problem with Meat or mock him after seeing those quotes.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I seriously don't understand why he gets so much crap for his band. Sure he comes off a little weird with some of the comments. Being happy doing what they are doing is not a bad thing though and from what I hear they do it well? I think the angle of doing different bands every time and their full catalog or whatever is kind of cool. Even if the "becoming" thing is kind of gay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:22 pm 

He's just an unlikeable person. A womanish man. A bitch. A pissy self-centered pansy. A cumstain. An assfuck. A gutless pompous penis. A preening douchebag.

That's why people dislike him and everything he does.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
That is fine if you think that I just don't see why get on the band thing so hard due to the other stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:35 pm 

pittmike wrote:
That is fine if you think that I just don't see why get on the band thing so hard due to the other stuff.

I don't think people are getting on him about the being in the band per se but rather the Mt Everest of pretension that those quotes show. It's almost like a comedic send up of an egomaniacal lead singer but Meat is actually serious .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
ShipOfZion wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I never understood the hatred and hair splitting over Meat's band. So he sings in a cover/tribute band. Who cares?

I can tell you where my negative opinion comes from. Musicianship-wise and everything, I'm sure they are very good. I just cannot stand how pretentious Grimace comes across about it. And how he hypes it. And how he acts like he just did 4 nights in a row at MSG and has to take 3 days off as a result of doing some bar gig. It's just a fucking cover band. There are about 1000 of them around town. There's just an arrogance that comes from him about it. I got news for you Grimace, you aren't that fucking special.

8)
Hi Spanky!

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
I just don't think music should be covered that way. I mean, it should be earnest and sincere, and it sounds like they are to a degree, but not an attempted reproduction. That is boring, a greater affront to my live-music-consuming sensibilities than being bad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
rock and roll is not supposed to be earnest and sincere. This whole concept is idiotic unless its all done in fun and games.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:00 pm 

Put me in the same camp with Frank, pittmike and a few others. So what if he says Tributosaurus "becomes" somebody? Just words to inform you on what band they're doing. And before you knock 'em, try 'em. Very, very talented. I wish I could go to more of these things. Tonight, for example, would be a great chance to get the Led out, but I'm with Patrick for the last time in a week and that's priority. It's an all-ages show, but my guy -- as much as he likes music --couldn't handle the decibel level. The guys in Tributo, especially Chris Neville, are good guys and they often do shows for charity. Some of you should lighten up on "Grimmace" for this one. I do have to laugh at that nickname, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:07 pm 

Nobody is knocking their musicianship or the fact that theyre good guys. For gods sake Mac did you read those quotes upthread? Do they sound normal for someone who is copying someone else's music, no matter how skillfully? This quote nails it perfectly

ShipOfZion wrote:
I just cannot stand how pretentious Grimace comes across about it. And how he hypes it. And how he acts like he just did 4 nights in a row at MSG and has to take 3 days off as a result of doing some bar gig. It's just a fucking cover band. There are about 1000 of them around town. There's just an arrogance that comes from him about it. I got news for you Grimace, you aren't that fucking special.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:38 pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Buster wrote:

I don't know where these quotes came from but they don't help his cause.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Mac wrote:
Put me in the same camp with Frank, pittmike and a few others. So what if he says Tributosaurus "becomes" somebody? Just words to inform you on what band they're doing. And before you knock 'em, try 'em. Very, very talented. I wish I could go to more of these things. Tonight, for example, would be a great chance to get the Led out, but I'm with Patrick for the last time in a week and that's priority. It's an all-ages show, but my guy -- as much as he likes music --couldn't handle the decibel level. The guys in Tributo, especially Chris Neville, are good guys and they often do shows for charity. Some of you should lighten up on "Grimmace" for this one. I do have to laugh at that nickname, though.

Dude I saw him play twice now (once with you as a guest singer 8) ) and they were great. They were better than great they were damn good.
I just find the word "become" pretentious. There is no way in hell any of these guys become any of those guys on any of their best nights of nights.
I kinda always found that word irritating.
Sorry. It's the truth though.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:12 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Spiegel wrote:
manages to somehow give us artistic integrity in a cover-band framework.

That's the one that always got me.

Even though he can't explain it, no other cover band has artistic integrity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:44 am 

Great is better than damn good

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Buster wrote:
"There are some things that are more difficult and commercially successful. Writing original songs is more gratifying on some level. But this is so much damn fun because we invented it and perfected it. The fact that we let the music speak and then poof! -- it's gone -- manages to somehow give us artistic integrity in a cover-band framework.

What did they invent? What did they perfect?

Buster wrote:
We don't want to suck any of the joy out of it."

Too late.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:10 am 

Darkside wrote:
bigfan wrote:
They do put on a really good show Darko. You should go.

I've seen him and the band. With you. Ya knob.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post of the year material.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Spiegel wrote:
manages to somehow give us artistic integrity in a cover-band framework.

That's the one that always got me.

Even though he can't explain it, no other cover band has artistic integrity.
The whole thing is bad, but that one really does encapsulate everything.

It's equal parts disrespectful and delusional to every other cover band.

If the band was that good, they wouldn't have to tell you how good they are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:28 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I saw this over the weekend and found it pretty amazing that it would even occur to someone to do this.

Scott Lindholm
‏@ScottLindholm
@MattSpiegel670 Couple years back I tracked @93XRT playlists--their Zep songs over a two-month period pic.twitter.com/PUbRz7vj1A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
He should track how often they play "Joey" by Concrete Blonde in two months. Maybe someone will get the hint.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
He should track how often they play "Joey" by Concrete Blonde in two months. Maybe someone will get the hint.

Stop yourself. That's a great song.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:36 am 

But this is so much damn fun because we invented it and perfected it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What exactly did they invent?

Cover bands? No

Tribute Bands? No

Meat is really something else. He's got less self awareness than Laurence.

Think about that for a minute and consider how true it is. Less self awareness than Laurence Holmes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
rogers park bryan wrote:

Think about that for a minute and consider how true it is. Less self awareness than Laurence Holmes.

Spiegel is one of the few people, maybe the only person, Laurence can be partnered with who makes Laurence seem likable by comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:56 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Spiegel is one of the few people, maybe the only person, Laurence can be partnered with who makes Laurence seem likable by comparison.

If a playboy playmate listed her "turn ons" as Lead singers of Tribute bands and Comic book nerds who are on the radio, neither guy would even think it's a joke.