It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Fan"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Calderon wasn't BAD.

No, he was okay. But when you've got a guy talking about him being his favorite player... in this case, I feel like bernstein is making a statement about the Sox rather than about himself.

My first favorite player was Bobby Knoop. But I'm sincere about it. Even though those teams really were awful, I won't use Knoop as a metaphor to characterize the Sox as a shitty franchise.

I dont see that

Calderon was a good player and THEE star of the Sox for a while (along with Baines)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
jimmypasta wrote:
Under Reinsdorf,how many guys at the twilight of their careers did he bring in?

Seaver,Carlton,Jose Canseco,Ken Griffey jr.

I know there have been others.

I wouldn't characterize Seaver with those other guys. He had something left. He was their best pitcher in '84 and '85.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Calderon wasn't BAD.

No, he was okay. But when you've got a guy talking about him being his favorite player... in this case, I feel like bernstein is making a statement about the Sox rather than about himself.

My first favorite player was Bobby Knoop. But I'm sincere about it. Even though those teams really were awful, I won't use Knoop as a metaphor to characterize the Sox as a shitty franchise.

I dont see that

Calderon was a good player and THEE star of the Sox for a while (along with Baines)

He had one real good year with the Sox. I think '87. He isn't the kind of guy you pick as a favorite player. Beside that, it isn't like bernstein was a child in '87. He was like 18 or something, right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
My all-time favorite Cub is Al Spangler. :lol:
Please don't look up his stats. The only time I ever called B&B is they wanted to know what sports figure you would want to have dinner with. I told them Spangler & they had a good chuckle,but they were nice to me at least. This was a long time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Danny should have an earlier guy though. He was like 16-18 by that time.

JORR beat me to it.

Baines was always "my guy" 81-85 era.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Sox first baseman, Lamar Johnson. John Rooney and Rich King nicknamed him "Thumper"... he was my guy back in the day. Only because I played first base as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Kingman, Morales, Cardenal.

Jose and Jerry each flipped me a ball in the bleachers as a yute.

Kingman was my guy! Bat, Ball, Glove, Jersey.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:37 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Kingman, Morales, Cardenal.

Jose and Jerry each flipped me a ball in the bleachers as a yute.

Kingman was my guy! Bat, Ball, Glove, Jersey.....

I have Morales as the most underated Cub in the past 40 years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:45 pm 

Chet Lemon was my "guy". Played centerfield like I did & was the only White Sox All-Star, which mattered greatly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Calderon wasn't BAD.

I dont see that

He had one real good year with the Sox. I think '87. He isn't the kind of guy you pick as a favorite player. Beside that, it isn't like bernstein was a child in '87. He was like 18 or something, right?

I was 7 and very impressed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:50 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Chet Lemon was my "guy". Played centerfield like I did & was the only White Sox All-Star, which mattered greatly.

Pretty good player. He ended up in Detroit I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
lol @ cutesy lil JORR prattling on about "winning %" like actually winning ballgames matters. JORR must not have his antennae up because in today's modern baseball universe there's movements like #KillTheWin led by REALLY. SMART. PEOPLE. like brian kenny whose job it is to talk about baseball for a living (so, uh, like amattacola before you i think he knows a LITTLE MORE ABOUT BASEBALL than you do, JORR) and i believe dan bernstein Himself have told me that pitcher wins are basically nebulous stats wholly dependant on team performance so therefore they shouldn't and will not count going forward.

of course, you're a numbnuts if you don't think maddux gets in first ballot HOF cuz ~350 wins? that's a legendary # and in this day and age of overpaid/specialized pitching you're going to have a hard time getting ~150-200millionaires sticking around long enough to win even 200 games, let alone 300.

also, FOR SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! * camera dives into the pit with those dumbasses. bravo snyder! *

so yeah TL;DR = JORR needs to get with the times and stop carrying on like wins for a pitcher mean anything other than we used to be so cute and misguided in our baseball ignorance b4 the SABRmetric movement showed up to grab us by the ear and yank us out of the dark ages..... of course unless maddux gets 350+ wins cuz then and only then it's like "HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD HE HAS *350* WINS HOW CAN YOU NOT VOTE FOR THAT??!?!" =D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:
I respect . . . the Marlins

The Marlins are one of the filthiest organizations in sports and a far cry from the days of Larry Beinfest cycling out veterans for young talent. There's nothing left there to respect. Amend your list.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:58 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

perhaps my greatest claim to regalia as a yout in little league was that i used to be the "chunky centerfielder" --- which if you stop and think about it is pretty damn badass. i was playing arguably the most athletic defensive position in the game because i was so good at defensive baseball that even tho i was a good 2-3 steps slower than my contemporaries getting to balls, i had such a good arm and a good decision making process that the coach put me out there in CF because he had faith in me to make the right play when the team needed it the most.

this, of course, leads me back to that story i've no doubt told on here before where only once a guy crushed a ball over my head and i had to run back ~20-30yds to get it, and as i saw him rounding second with a mind to get a homerun on me i thought "oh hell no.... fuck this fuck him fuck all" and i galloped 2-3 steps into an absolute laserbeam of a throw that one hopped it perfectly to the catcher, who proceeded to nail the guy at the plate and prevent the home run.

as i came into the dugout @ inning's end the coach said to me "[last name], in ~10 years of coaching little league that was the most badass play i've ever seen. do it again and i'm benching you" ---- #StoryOfMyLife

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:01 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
as i came into the dugout @ inning's end the coach said to me "[last name], in ~10 years of coaching little league that was the most badass play i've ever seen. do it again and i'm benching you" ---- #StoryOfMyLife

In 10 years of coaching, it never would have dawned on me to have that reaction. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:03 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The Marlins are one of the filthiest organizations in sports and a far cry from the days of Larry Beinfest cycling out veterans for young talent. There's nothing left there to respect. Amend your list.

do i detect a bit of expos rage here? i'm hoping yes, because as an expos fan it would be an honor and a privilege to have the best poster on the CSFMB at least sensitive to our plight over here in #ExposMundo.

also, style:

(i'm 98% sure that "mierda" is spanish slang for "shit" =)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
I was 7 and very impressed

The 80s were kind of my lost baseball years. I was playing in bands all the time. I always kept one eye on the Sox though. I really started paying attention again and going to a lot more games in the early 90s when they made that valiant run at that dominating Oakland team.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:13 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I really started paying attention again and going to a lot more games in the early 90s when they made that valiant run at that dominating Oakland team.

Dan McJorr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:20 pm 

I am starting not to trust the recollection's of your youth, sini. That is not to say you are lying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:22 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
do i detect a bit of expos rage here? i'm hoping yes, because as an expos fan it would be an honor and a privilege to have the best poster on the CSFMB at least sensitive to our plight over here in #ExposMundo.

Yeah, the way Loria sabotaged and gutted the Expos was unconscionable. It also never would have happened to a hypothetical National League team based in, I dunno, let's say Indianapolis.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You knew what I meant

respected

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 pm 

Expos unis were ironically extremely American looking to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:

bryan in Evanston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Don Tiny wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

bryan in Evanston

Hey guys <drool>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:51 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I disagree. The swirly M-with-an-e-and-a-b has a distinctly Trudeau-era Canada vibe to it. It reminds me of the National Film Board of Canada logo in its multi-layered abstract geometric style:

The bilingualism requires communicating ideas beyond words and letters as we'd understand them in English.

Also, you could argue that the blue and red synthesized Quebec and the ROC. The Expos were never big among the separatists.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I disagree. The swirly M-with-an-e-and-a-b has a distinctly Trudeau-era Canada vibe to it. It reminds me of the National Film Board of Canada logo in its multi-layered abstract geometric style:

The bilingualism requires communicating ideas beyond words and letters as we'd understand them in English.

Also, you could argue that the blue and red synthesized Quebec and the ROC. The Expos were never big among the separatists.

Screams America to me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:54 pm 

No, I have to disagree. The Expos' logo just doesn't look American enough. Same with the Blue Jays. I love that original Blue Jays logo, but there's something about it that's not traditional American baseball. Maybe it's the '70s soccer numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I always figured e.l.b. was some sort of French acronym.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
No, I have to disagree. The Expos' logo just doesn't look American enough. Same with the Blue Jays. I love that original Blue Jays logo, but there's something about it that's not traditional American baseball. Maybe it's the '70s soccer numbers.

Im focused on the colors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:57 pm 

There's no lowercase L. That's just the part of the M that isn't an e or a b. It's "Montréal Expos baseball" or "Expos de Montréal baseball," depending on whether you read it in English by starting with the big letter then the smaller letters, or in French where you just read from left to right. It was really a brilliant piece of bilingual design.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im focused on the colors

They wore the same colors as the Canadiens.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next